Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's look at the possibilities with Norvell and the staff

Started by lakecityhog, November 05, 2017, 11:03:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

Most HC's will bring some to most of his current staff, maybe jettison a couple of low producers and retain a couple of guys from the old regime. Let's start with his staff(on field):

DC Chris Ball- Most of his experience is DB's with 3 years as co-DC at Washington St. Coached DB's for 3 years at Bama. Came from Arizona State so he has a connection with Norvell. Probably not a true upgrade over Rhoads, but will probably come with Norvell.

OC Darrell Dickey- (also QB coach)Has coached at LSU and Miss St. Was HC at North Texas for several years. Spent a LOT of years in Memphis in 3 different stints. OC is probably more of a title than anything and will probably come with Norvell, unless he get the HC job at Memphis. Cannot see Enos staying.

DL Paul Randolph- Coached DE at Bama, coached at Ariz St, Pitt, Tulsa WVU and Toledo as DL with a little time as DC. Could stay with Memphis as DC, I see him as an immediate UPGRADE!

OL Ryan Silverfield- Spent 7 years in the NFL mostly as an assistant or QC guy, but worked with OL. Considered a great recruiter. An immediate UPGRADE!!

QB/TE Kenny Dillingham- Young energetic RECRUITER! Will come in some capacity

SC Josh Sterns- Came from Ariz St. Probably will come and could be an upgrade.

ST/OLB Jeff Lorig- Probably a huge upgrade on Special Teams! Known as a relentless recruiter. Coached at Utah St and Ariz St.

We all know that he has a full compliment of coaches and I just hit on the guys that I feel like will probably come with him and would probably be upgrades.

Now, who stays? I say Lunney an Smith. Lunney stays for the Arkansas ties and Smith stays for the Louisiana ties.

The_Iceman

I would love to keep Smith. Not sure he will stay tho. Will have tons of other offers.

Dark Helmet Hog

King Kong

Not sure all those are SEC caliber. I would hope he would add some coaches with SEC experience especially on defense. I wouldn't mind to see someone like a Tommy Thigpen an Arkansas native that landed 15 kids in one class for UT a couple of years back. 

Dropkick

I have been told by someone who knows the family if Norvell is hired we have a good shot at Bohannon. Otherwise he may be LSU bound. I had heard Louisville a while back but I guess the instability there has changed things.

Birminghog

Being an ex-HC at North Texas is not a ringing endorsement. I'm an NT alum, and football has been, by and large, irrelevant there since Mean Joe.

havok

I think that we do have a great selling point for a Head Coach if that guy is an Offensive oriented guy.

Loads of experience (all be it maybe not coached worth a damn last 2 years) on the O-line.
A Returning QB who has multiple full game experience.
Several 4 Star Tight-ends
And with people actually getting to see what a weapon Hammond is, I would bet lots of coaches would like that guy in their hands to utilize.

lakecityhog

Dickey at NT, not a terrible record considering.

North Texas Mean Green (Big West Conference) (1998–2000)
1998   North Texas   3–8   3–2   T–2nd   
1999   North Texas   2–9   1–5   7th   
2000   North Texas   3–8   1–4   T–3rd   
North Texas Mean Green (Sun Belt Conference) (2001–2006)
2001   North Texas   5–7   5–1   1st   L New Orleans
2002   North Texas   8–5   6–0   1st   W New Orleans
2003   North Texas   9–4   7–0   1st   L New Orleans
2004   North Texas   7–5   7–0   1st   L New Orleans

2005   North Texas   2–9   2–5   7th   
2006   North Texas   3–9   2–5   7th   
North Texas:   42–64   34–22   

From 2001–2005, Dickey's North Texas teams won 26 consecutive Sun Belt Conference games, a streak that began on October 13, 2001 with a 24–21 win over Middle Tennessee State and ended on October 4, 2005 with a 13–10 loss to Troy University.

I am in no way saying that his current staff is "SEC worthy", but then again how many of our current staff fits that description? I'm just trying to figure out who he might bring with him.

So much depends on who Memphis hires. If they promoted Dickey we could probably expect 2 maybe 3 guys to stay at Memphis. I am sure that regardless of the situation Norvell would like to be able to upgrade a couple of coaches. And, almost EVERY coach keeps at least one holdover to maintain some continuity with recruiting and learning the lay of the land.

I am also sure that he would keep several of the off-field staff for similar reasons.

jackflash

the problem at Arkansas is not offense its defense with the HC mention do not see much help for the defense

King Kong

Quote from: jackflash on November 06, 2017, 01:26:58 am
the problem at Arkansas is not offense its defense with the HC mention do not see much help for the defense

Listen, I doubt he brings everyone on his current staff. Maybe Norvell brings Ball as a Co-DC with some like a Bob Shoop that should be available.

Bob did an amazing job at Vandy and Penn State. His first year at UT they had an unbelievable about of defensive injuries and this year has improved despite always being on the field due to maybe the worst offense in the SEC

Broadway Rob

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 05, 2017, 11:03:36 am
Most HC's will bring some to most of his current staff, maybe jettison a couple of low producers and retain a couple of guys from the old regime. Let's start with his staff(on field):

DC Chris Ball- Most of his experience is DB's with 3 years as co-DC at Washington St. Coached DB's for 3 years at Bama. Came from Arizona State so he has a connection with Norvell. Probably not a true upgrade over Rhoads, but will probably come with Norvell.

OC Darrell Dickey- (also QB coach)Has coached at LSU and Miss St. Was HC at North Texas for several years. Spent a LOT of years in Memphis in 3 different stints. OC is probably more of a title than anything and will probably come with Norvell, unless he get the HC job at Memphis. Cannot see Enos staying.

DL Paul Randolph- Coached DE at Bama, coached at Ariz St, Pitt, Tulsa WVU and Toledo as DL with a little time as DC. Could stay with Memphis as DC, I see him as an immediate UPGRADE!

OL Ryan Silverfield- Spent 7 years in the NFL mostly as an assistant or QC guy, but worked with OL. Considered a great recruiter. An immediate UPGRADE!!

QB/TE Kenny Dillingham- Young energetic RECRUITER! Will come in some capacity

SC Josh Sterns- Came from Ariz St. Probably will come and could be an upgrade.

ST/OLB Jeff Lorig- Probably a huge upgrade on Special Teams! Known as a relentless recruiter. Coached at Utah St and Ariz St.

We all know that he has a full compliment of coaches and I just hit on the guys that I feel like will probably come with him and would probably be upgrades.

Now, who stays? I say Lunney an Smith. Lunney stays for the Arkansas ties and Smith stays for the Louisiana ties.

It's a very Arkansas thing for us to already have the perfect coach picked out (in the eyes of many).  I think we can all agree, barring a miracle 3 game run, CBB is gone.  Mike Norvell makes too much sense not to happen.  But as much as threads like this bring excitement, I know the heartbreak Jeff Long has caused, and until I see different, I expect the same from ole Jefferey. 
Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.