Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AD not a done deal?

Started by RME, November 17, 2017, 11:38:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 02:39:43 pm
Well, as it turns out, I don't think we could do much worse than what we had, and I thought both were ok until the wheels came off this season.

We can do a lot worse than Long and as bad as Bielema is, we can do worse than him if they aren't careful.  Razorback football is at a crossroads right now.  It can either get better, a lot better, stay the same or get quite a bit worse.

ricepig

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on November 17, 2017, 02:51:32 pm

What was the point for hiring an interim AD if it's just for 5 days...
We didn't hire her, we just promoted her. Organizations need a leader, even if it short termed.

HF#1

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on November 17, 2017, 02:51:32 pm

What was the point for hiring an interim AD if it's just for 5 days...

The AD doesn't just oversee the football program.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 17, 2017, 11:55:56 am
I don't even claim to have inside info, but I will say this: NO WAY it takes until Jan. 1 to hire an AD.

That would be 6 weeks from the time JL was fired!

It's IDIOTIC to even suggest it will take that long!

Bo must be into Grampa's cough medicine again..

Nebraska took four weeks to hire Bill Moos and the national press was acting surprised that they had hired someone so fast.

HF#1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 17, 2017, 02:16:48 pm
I did in fact start that thread. I will stand by that at the time I wrote it.  There was some late developments that certainly led to that statement being incorrect now.

Care to divulge what is going on?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Dropkick

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 02:52:19 pm
We can do a lot worse than Long and as bad as Bielema is, we can do worse than him if they aren't careful.  Razorback football is at a crossroads right now.  It can either get better, a lot better, stay the same or get quite a bit worse.
1 conference win, a 1 point win over one of the worst G-5s in the nation and beaten by an average of 24 points in our 5 conference losses so far. How in the h3ll can it get "quite a bit worse"?

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 02:54:18 pm
We didn't hire her, we just promoted her. Organizations need a leader, even if it short termed.

Hired.. promotion.. same thing. The organization would've been just fine for 5 days if the new AD was going to be announced in a short manner. If the next coach told the PTB that he's coming home no matter who's AD then it'll be Jan 1st as Bo has said.

Mike Irwin

The people I've been talking to haven't been wrong yet which is not to say that they can't be about the AD situation but they're not saying anything about a nationwide search. They have been tight lipped about who the AD might be but they do say he will have Arkansas ties. There is speculation that it will be an ex player (no, not Tim Horton) but they didn't say that.

ricepig

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on November 17, 2017, 03:11:57 pm
Hired.. promotion.. same thing. The organization would've been just fine for 5 days if the new AD was going to be announced in a short manner. If the next coach told the PTB that he's coming home no matter who's AD then it'll be Jan 1st as Bo has said.

Bo said by then, any time between those words and Jan. 1st fits that bill. We have a game on Saturday, certain decisions will more than likely be required to be made, if we didn't have someone in charge, who was going to make it?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: The NewEra on November 17, 2017, 11:50:58 am
I don't believe for one second that Jeff Long would have been fired unless they already knew who their top three candidates were, and that one or more of them had already agreed in principal to accept the position.

I am not that confident

It almost seems too personal for me to feel that way
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HF#1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on November 17, 2017, 03:13:25 pm
The people I've been talking to haven't been wrong yet which is not to say that they can't be about the AD situation but they're not saying anything about a nationwide search. They have been tight lipped about who the AD might be but they do say he will have Arkansas ties. There is speculation that it will be an ex player (no, not Tim Horton) but they didn't say that.

Scanlon or Fitz Hill maybe.

Ironhawg

Good lord what a cluster mess.  We're looking at the possibility of either having Bielema back for another year or not having a new coach until January.  Good idea.  Great idea.  Let's roll with that.   :puke:

Styflin

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 17, 2017, 03:19:21 pm
Good lord what a cluster mess.  We're looking at the possibility of either having Bielema back for another year or not having a new coach until January.  Good idea.  Great idea.  Let's roll with that.   :puke:

Just because it sounds like a mess in this thread doesn't mean it's actually a mess.

Porked Tongue

Seems as if you ALMOST said it.

HF#1

Mike Irwin

fieldturf

devildoghawg

I know everyone on here likes to think the BOT is made up of rich, uneducated hicks, but I can't believe for a second that they would put themselves in the situation of having to explain why a top 10 AD was fired before a garbage coach was without a replacement already under contract.  I heard from a bunch of different folks that I honestly believe they know what they are talking about that Long would be fired this week, and that was correct.  The same people have said that Bret will be let go after the Miss St game by Peoples and then a new AD will be announced on Monday. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

sickboy

A little disappointed we didn't have our ducks in a row when we fired Long. Would have hoped that we had someone lined up and ready to go before we go whacking our AD. Makes the situation seem less cerebral and more emotional. That worries me.

cityhog

Hog fans literally have the shortest memories on earth. It was a mere 10 years ago when everyone was howling that the homegrown GOBN had to go. 'Get rid of HDN and JFB'. Fast forward 10 years and now it's 'Get rid of the carpetbagger this, yankee carpetbagger that', and 'we need ARKANSAS people making the decisions and running the program'.

Sweet Lord. If this mentality weren't so mind numbingly STUPID, it might be funny. I guess in another 10 years we'll be right back where we were in 2007. Hiring outsiders to clean up the ineptitude of those who want the power w/o the responsibility.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: sickboy on November 17, 2017, 03:37:11 pm
A little disappointed we didn't have our ducks in a row when we fired Long.
Not sure they are not lined up.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HF#1 on November 17, 2017, 11:39:54 am
That is either total BS or Peoples is hiring the next football coach.

Which might mean they know who the next coach is are at least believes they do so.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Hogwaller on November 17, 2017, 12:16:36 pm
Long's house has been listed on Zillow for 10 days and listed with a real estate agenet. All the interior photos showed empty rooms, cleaned slick as a whistle. That was some fast moving if he didn't know far in advance.
Long owns multiple houses in Fayetteville.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Styflin on November 17, 2017, 03:28:28 pm
Just because it sounds like a mess in this thread doesn't mean it's actually a mess.

I may be overly worried, but it certainly looks like a giant mess.  I was one who thought Long was doing a good job, but even if you wanted him gone the timing of the firing seems terrible.  I'm a fan of the U of A not any particular AD or coach so if they hire someone who can do a good job at either spot that's fine with me, and granted I don't really know what is going on behind closed doors, but if I can smell a lot of stink coming out from behind the bathroom door, I don't need to stick my head inside to know whats probably going on. 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 17, 2017, 03:40:06 pm
Not sure they are not lined up.

The timing of Long's firing alone should tell you that their ducks are not lined up.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: ricepig on November 17, 2017, 03:14:55 pm
certain decisions will more than likely be required to be made, if we didn't have someone in charge, who was going to make it?

The same someone's who booted JL

PorkSoda

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 03:47:56 pm
The timing of Long's firing alone should tell you that their ducks are not lined up.
why?

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

justmakeit2thebcs

Arkansas doesn't need an AD in place to hire the next coach.   Boosters are now in control of the program and will have final say.  Next AD will be nothing more than a puppet.  We just need a smooth talking, yes man with a southern accent.

TexasHog

You have got to be kidding me.
CBB better not be the HC again next year WTH.

ricepig

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on November 17, 2017, 03:48:32 pm
The same someone's who booted JL

They aren't going to decide on lobster or pbj's, that's the AD's job.

online-with-swine

Quote from: devildoghawg on November 17, 2017, 03:34:41 pm
I know everyone on here likes to think the BOT is made up of rich, uneducated hicks, but I can't believe for a second that they would put themselves in the situation of having to explain why a top 10 AD was fired before a garbage coach was without a replacement already under contract.  I heard from a bunch of different folks that I honestly believe they know what they are talking about that Long would be fired this week, and that was correct.  The same people have said that Bret will be let go after the Miss St game by Peoples and then a new AD will be announced on Monday. 

Exactly.  People did not get put on the BOT or our boosters acquire their wealth by being stupid.  I have faith there is a plan and it is being followed to a T.

Kevin

it only looks bad on the outside, I am sure they have a plan.  they all did not just wake up Wednesday morning and decide to fire long
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The NewEra

Quote from: Kevin on November 17, 2017, 04:15:24 pm
it only looks bad on the outside, I am sure they have a plan.  they all did not just wake up Wednesday morning and decide to fire long

Patience is about one millisecond long on this message board.  Over time we'll find out, but I suspect everything is following a well conceived plan.  If not, then there will be plenty of time later to fillet and broil the culprits.  There are likely certain employment laws and procedures that have to be adhered to also.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Kevin on November 17, 2017, 04:15:24 pm

are you sure about......
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

parallaxpig

Kevin Scanlon's name sure is mentioned a lot between HV and talk radio. Heard him talked about on 3 different talk radio shows today.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

PorkSoda

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 17, 2017, 04:27:15 pm
Kevin Scanlon's name sure is mentioned a lot between HV and talk radio. Heard him talked about on 3 different talk radio shows today.
yeah, I get the feeling he is to the top choice, but it remains to be seen if he would accept the position.  its debatable whether its actually a step up from his current gig.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 03:48:50 pm
why?

What were the reasons to fire Long? They've all been stated over and over on this board, and all of the reasons given for firing Long existed before the beginning of this season.  There isn't one reason given for his firing that wasn't true at the end of last year. They didn't fire him for cause so he didn't steal from the university or anything like that, if it was anything they could slightly prove they would have dismissed him with cause and not have to worry about paying him the rest of his contract.  The real reason that he was fired now as opposed to any other time is that folks in power got their panties in a twist, were being leaned on by big contributors and the season was tanking in a big way.

We are presumably going to part ways with Bielema at the end of the season on or about the 24th. So we are going into one of our most important coaching searches in my lifetime (meaning we can not afford to have two flops in a row that would put us at presumably 10 years of floundering and that is going to be a very tough hole to dig out of) without an AD in place.  No coach worth his salt is going to come here with out concrete knowledge of who the AD will be, and I don't mean assurances from the board, they are going to want to know with 100% certainty who it is.  If we can get it done in 4 weeks,which is a big if, that means hiring an new AD in mid-December.  So now you are looking at mid-December before a coaching search can begin in earnest. Factor in the holidays and the early signing period which is December 20th-22 I think, and I can't see how the timing could have been much worse.  What changed between 10/7 when we got drubbed by Scar and last Wednesday?   How about 10/14 or 10/21 when we got drubbed by Alabama and Auburn respectively. The season didn't get better. They could have let him go after any of those games and given us more time to find an AD and have him in place before the season ended. They made a knee-jerk reaction either at the BOT meeting or just after and have put us in a bad position going forward.  There isn't a plan, there isn't a secret AD who has been hired, They are feeling around in the dark trying to find someone to replace Long.  They may get someone good, may get someone great, but it isn't because they planned it that way.         

cityhog

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 17, 2017, 04:11:40 pm
Exactly.  People did not get put on the BOT or our boosters acquire their wealth by being stupid.  I have faith there is a plan and it is being followed to a T.

being rich most certainly does not equate to being smart. And you can double that certainty if the $$ was inherited.

PorkSoda

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 04:51:22 pm
What were the reasons to fire Long? They've all been stated over and over on this board, and all of the reasons given for firing Long existed before the beginning of this season.  There isn't one reason given for his firing that wasn't true at the end of last year. They didn't fire him for cause so he didn't steal from the university or anything like that, if it was anything they could slightly prove they would have dismissed him with cause and not have to worry about paying him the rest of his contract.  The real reason that he was fired now as opposed to any other time is that folks in power got their panties in a twist, were being leaned on by big contributors and the season was tanking in a big way.

We are presumably going to part ways with Bielema at the end of the season on or about the 24th. So we are going into one of our most important coaching searches in my lifetime (meaning we can not afford to have two flops in a row that would put us at presumably 10 years of floundering and that is going to be a very tough hole to dig out of) without an AD in place.  No coach worth his salt is going to come here with out concrete knowledge of who the AD will be, and I don't mean assurances from the board, they are going to want to know with 100% certainty who it is.  If we can get it done in 4 weeks,which is a big if, that means hiring an new AD in mid-December.  So now you are looking at mid-December before a coaching search can begin in earnest. Factor in the holidays and the early signing period which is December 20th-22 I think, and I can't see how the timing could have been much worse.  What changed between 10/7 when we got drubbed by Scar and last Wednesday?   How about 10/14 or 10/21 when we got drubbed by Alabama and Auburn respectively. The season didn't get better. They could have let him go after any of those games and given us more time to find an AD and have him in place before the season ended. They made a knee-jerk reaction either at the BOT meeting or just after and have put us in a bad position going forward.  There isn't a plan, there isn't a secret AD who has been hired, They are feeling around in the dark trying to find someone to replace Long.  They may get someone good, may get someone great, but it isn't because they planned it that way.         
why didn't they fire him at the BOT meeting?  what happened between then and now?

could it be that they needed to ensure they had a replacement lined up?  if someone isn't named by thanksgiving, then I'd be inclined to agree with you.  but I think we should give them at least a week before we declare they had no plan.

sowmonella

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on November 17, 2017, 12:29:51 pm
Terry Don Phillips.

He's in his 70's and has been retired about 6 or 7 years.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

jkstock04

I have heard the same about Bielema...that Mississippi state will be his last game as coach of the Razorbacks.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 04:58:16 pm
why didn't they fire him at the BOT meeting?  what happened between then and now?

could it be that they needed to ensure they had a replacement lined up?  if someone isn't named by thanksgiving, then I'd be inclined to agree with you.  but I think we should give them at least a week before we declare they had no plan.

If they fired him because the football program is bad then they could have done that at the end of last year.  Or after TCU, TAM etc.  Something finally broke one way or the other and instead of waiting till a more prudent time they jumped the gun.  They could have kept Long, hired the new coach without Long's input and fired him early next year after we had a coach comfortably in place. After if they wre going to fire him for convenience they don't need circumstances to be right they could do that whenever they wanted.  The new coach may be a little less than pleased but he wouldn't leave at that point, and the sum total of everything would be the same. If it's true as they say they are targeting ex-razorbacks, not a traditional hire, those people will be just as available next year.

oldhawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 17, 2017, 04:58:16 pm

Maybe the Monday after Thanksgiving.  Name the new AD on that Monday and the new coach on Tuesday.

jkstock04

Quote from: cityhog on November 17, 2017, 03:37:44 pm
Hog fans literally have the shortest memories on earth. It was a mere 10 years ago when everyone was howling that the homegrown GOBN had to go. 'Get rid of HDN and JFB'. Fast forward 10 years and now it's 'Get rid of the carpetbagger this, yankee carpetbagger that', and 'we need ARKANSAS people making the decisions and running the program'.

Sweet Lord. If this mentality weren't so mind numbingly STUPID, it might be funny. I guess in another 10 years we'll be right back where we were in 2007. Hiring outsiders to clean up the ineptitude of those who want the power w/o the responsibility.
Speaking of short memories...the last time we went through this I seem to remember Frank Broyles "stepping down" before we "fired" Houston Nutt. How long was it between Broyles being pushed out and Long hiring? Around a year?

This mantra that it's an impossibility to fire an AD before hiring a new coach is blah.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 17, 2017, 05:06:37 pm
If they fired him because the football program is bad then they could have done that at the end of last year.  Or after TCU, TAM etc.  Something finally broke one way or the other and instead of waiting till a more prudent time they jumped the gun.  They could have kept Long, hired the new coach without Long's input and fired him early next year after we had a coach comfortably in place. After if they wre going to fire him for convenience they don't need circumstances to be right they could do that whenever they wanted.  The new coach may be a little less than pleased but he wouldn't leave at that point, and the sum total of everything would be the same. If it's true as they say they are targeting ex-razorbacks, not a traditional hire, those people will be just as available next year.

They fired him at their convenience, it was convenient after Monday's dinner at Omar's in Jonesboro.

razorbackfaninar

Stupid people get rich too.  I have known my fair share of rich people in my life that have been very good at the thing they got rich doing and terrible at everything else. the other thing to keep in mind is that rich people are accustomed to getting what they want and thinking they always can.  Everybody kisses up to them so they start to believe they are the smartest guys in the room.  It wouldn't be beyond belief that a bunch of rich guys together would assume that they cold fire Long and just go grab the AD of their choice or take the sitting coach of their choice just because that is how they are used to things working. I may be wrong and I hope to God I am but I am not a big believer in secret plans and backroom deals.  I will be more than happy to eat crow if it turns out I am wrong, but this all looks bad to me.

okrazorback

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 17, 2017, 12:09:29 pm
I don't know why people keep suggesting this as a possibility??? He's DONE!!!

I don't know if he ls gone, but I sure hope he is gone

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 17, 2017, 05:13:06 pm
Speaking of short memories...the last time we went through this I seem to remember Frank Broyles "stepping down" before we "fired" Houston Nutt. How long was it between Broyles being pushed out and Long hiring? Around a year?

This mantra that it's an impossibility to fire an AD before hiring a new coach is blah.

Arkansas went with out an AD for a year? Your'e right I don't remember that.

LAGNAF

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on November 17, 2017, 03:50:22 pm
Arkansas doesn't need an AD in place to hire the next coach.   Boosters are now in control of the program and will have final say.  Next AD will be nothing more than a puppet.  We just need a smooth talking, yes man with a southern accent.

So you don't think folks already making millions per year are going to be a tad hesitant to leave their present gig to take over a program that needs to be rebuilt and they have no idea who they'll be working for?

Generally a bad idea to try and hire a coach with no AD in place.