Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worst manager move ever!

Started by ChicoHog, April 09, 2016, 12:28:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ChicoHog

April 09, 2016, 12:28:11 am Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:45:49 am by ChicoHog
I know I'm probably over reacting but managers babying starting pitchers just irks me!  Tonight the Dodgers start rookie Ross Stripling who has never pitched in the big leagues.  He has a no-hitter through 7.  Has one out in the 8th and walks a guy.  Dave Roberts pulls him as he just hit 100 pitches.  How can you pull a guy who is making his ML debut throwing a no -hitter?  Has not happened since the 1800s!  Give him a chance to make history.  100 pitches is nothing.  Of course the relief pitcher gave up a 2 run homer to the first Giants batter and the midgets won in 10 innings which makes matters even worse.  I just wish we could go back to the days when starting pitchers went 8 or 9 innings most of the time.  There is a reason most relief pitchers are not starting or closing.  they are not good enough!  If a SP is throwing well do not take him out unless he gets in the 120-130 pitch count.  100 is way too low. Ok, I will get get off my soapbox now.  Roberts got thrown out of the game arguing balls and strikes.  he should have been thrown out for making such a dumb decision pulling the rookie throwing a no hitter.   

edit:  So now it's the next day and I'm reading that he was on a 100 pitch count maximum, the guy had missed a year and half after elbow surgery, had never thrown 100 pitches in a minor league game, etc. so maybe the decision to pull him was not quite so extreme.  Still don't like it but maybe understand it. 

clutch

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 09, 2016, 12:28:11 am
I know I'm probably over reacting but managers babying starting pitchers just irks me!  Tonight the Dodgers start rookie Ross Stripling who has never pitched in the big leagues.  He has a no-hitter through 7.  Has one out in the 8th and walks a guy.  Dave Roberts pulls him as he just hit 100 pitches.  How can you pull a guy who is making his ML debut throwing a no -hitter?  Has not happened since the 1800s!  Give him a chance to make history.  100 pitches is nothing.  Of course the relief pitcher gave up a 2 run homer to the first Giants batter and the midgets won in 10 innings which makes matters even worse.  I just wish we could go back to the days when starting pitchers went 8 or 9 innings most of the time.  There is a reason most relief pitchers are not starting or closing.  they are not good enough!  If a SP is throwing well do not take him out unless he gets in the 120-130 pitch count.  100 is way too low. Ok, I will get get off my soapbox now.  Roberts got thrown out of the game arguing balls and strikes.  he should have been thrown out for making such a dumb decision pulling the rookie throwing a no hitter.   

edit:  So now it's the next day and I'm reading that he was on a 100 pitch count maximum, the guy had missed a year and half after elbow surgery, had never thrown 100 pitches in a minor league game, etc. so maybe the decision to pull him was not quite so extreme.  Still don't like it but maybe understand it. 

I don't envy Roberts at all in that situation. If a guys on a limit, you should probably stick to it. What a terrible situation for Roberts though. I bet he was sitting there hoping they'd get a single about the time the kid hit 80 pitches.

He just came back from TJ surgery didn't he? There was some kind of surgery. No hitters are great, but risking injury to one of your starters on game 5 of 162 is bad. He'd have caught a lot more heat had he left him in, kid gets hurt, then the news comes out that he was on a 100 pitch limit.