Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida Gator's troubled recruits are cleared to join the roster

Started by jbcarol, February 03, 2017, 10:44:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 11h11 hours ago

UF Football Notebook: Troubled recruits cleared to join roster - via @Gator_sports http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20170201/ARTICLES/170209994/1136 ...

The last two players to sign with Florida on Wednesday — Lakeland wide receiver James Robinson and Clearwater running back Adarius Lemons — have been dealing with issues that had cast some doubt on whether they would have a chance to become Gators.

Robinson was cited for marijuana possession on his official visit to Ohio State two weeks ago, while Lemons has had to deal with behavior and academic issues through the first part of his senior season.

Both were cleared to sign with the Gators on Wednesday, which they did.

"Obviously, as in all players, the important thing is you do your research and your background," UF coach Jim McElwain said of the decision to sign Robinson, a four-star prospect. "My guess is there's a few people in this crowd right here that have some regrets on things they've done, and yet at the same time take responsibility for it.

"Here is the good thing: We get an opportunity to be involved in his life. We get an opportunity to help him move forward, as we do all the players on this team. I'm excited about him being a Gator.

"I think there was a lot of misinformation out there, as somebody I think alluded to about negative reports. It just blows me away sometimes as far as what is actually said and what is real. Yet that's OK. We're excited that we're going to be a big part of helping him, as we do all our players."

Lemons originally committed to the Gators last summer, but his offer was rescinded due to issues at his high school in the fall. He ended up having to switch schools, where he has worked his way back academically. He was cleared to visit UF this past weekend and given his UF letter of intent, which he signed Wednesday afternoon.

"I'm proud of him," McElwain said. "When you go through things, you can just say, 'Hey, I quit.' You're talking about some guys who got something to 'em, some distance, guys who have really committed to getting themselves ready.

"In some of the cases, obviously, there's still some work to do. Yet, you know, he's not the only one that's had some tough things go on. There's a lot of guys that are coming in that have had some things. The key is not feeling sorry for yourself, not using that as an excuse, but rather let's use it as an avenue, really a drive, to go up and do something great."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net