Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SMU Banned from Postseason. Larry Brown Suspended.

Started by The_Iceman, September 29, 2015, 09:54:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 29, 2015, 09:54:39 am
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/13769364/ncaa-bans-smu-mustangs-2016-postseason-suspends-larry-brown-10-percent-team-games

It was just a matter of time. Shame they don't go after other cheaters like Texas a&m.

I could see them hammering A&M. It's the schools like Syracuse and UNC that they won't punish like this. Schools with documented, lengthy transgressions. I mean, UNC was giving degrees to kids that didn't do any coursework. Proven.

poloprince

Hogs have to never worry about cheating scandals as long as MA is at the helm.  MA is a man of high character and will not bend the rules to get a few steps ahead
$PoLoPrInCe$

-Blu

SMH.  SMU was a team I was really starting to like.  Nic Moore is one of the most exciting PGs in the country, just hate his senior year is now pointless.  And Brown may as well retire now, he been giving a 3rd chance and still couldn't play by the rules.  What's the transfer policy for kids when a situation like this happens?

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on September 29, 2015, 10:08:05 am
SMH.  SMU was a team I was really starting to like.  Nic Moore is one of the most exciting PGs in the country, just hate his senior year is now pointless.  And Brown may as well retire now, he been giving a 3rd chance and still couldn't play by the rules.  What's the transfer policy for kids when a situation like this happens?

If banned from postseason, can't seniors transfer without penalty?

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 29, 2015, 10:10:24 am

I would hope so, that's really unfair to them.

Hawg Red

Problem is school has already started.

-Blu

Wow, this NCAA is not playing games with SMU and Brown.

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria  11m11 minutes ago
Larry Brown will lose some of his wins and gets a two-year show-cause order from Sept. 29, 2015, through Sept. 28, 2017.

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria  3m3 minutes ago
Oh by the way, SMU can't host recruits for unofficial visits for 13 weeks in the summer of 2016.They also lose 20 off-campus recruiting days

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 29, 2015, 10:18:53 am
Problem is school has already started.

Yea, best case scenario is they could transfer at semester and be eligible at the end of December, but you still miss like 10 games then, and you may only have a couple of practices at best under your belt, it would be a huge inconvenience, that's not how I would want to play out my senior year.

If I was an underclassman though, I would transfer out, it's not going to get any better, Brown already talked about how hard it was to get recruits to SMU, now with all the restrictions they have it's going to be nearly impossible to get decent recruits.

Hogimus Prime

Kevin

a unc basketball alum caught cheating, no way.

the most fraudulent program of all time.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

chiefhawg

Brown is 75 years old. A 2 year show cause to show what; that can get around without a walker at 77?

Brown is probably financially set for the rest of his life. SMU is the entity paying a price for hiring him with his known disdain for the NCAA's rules pertaining to student/athletes.

The Hogfather

Get on the phone, Mike!

-Blu

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 29, 2015, 11:46:01 am
Get on the phone, Mike!

For what, so he can get in trouble as well?  You can't talk/recruit players that are currently on a team.  They have to request and be granted a release before you can make any contact.

The Hogfather

Quote from: -Blu on September 29, 2015, 12:04:32 pm
For what, so he can get in trouble as well?  You can't talk/recruit players that are currently on a team.  They have to request and be granted a release before you can make any contact.

First, I wasn't saying he should literally get on the phone.  I was making a statement meaning we should keep our eye on this situation because we could certainly use some of their players.

Second, there are ways of communicating with players indirectly in order to gauge interest.  I can assure you this is happening right now (although probably not the Hogs).

-Blu

Quote from: The Hogfather on September 29, 2015, 12:29:25 pm
First, I wasn't saying he should literally get on the phone.  I was making a statement meaning we should keep our eye on this situation because we could certainly use some of their players.

Second, there are ways of communicating with players indirectly in order to gauge interest.  I can assure you this is happening right now (although probably not the Hogs).

Gotcha, and I agree there are probably some teams communicating indirectly (even though they are not suppose to).  And your right CMA probably not one of them (not a bad thing), if he wouldn't communicate indirectly for Kevaughn Allen in Arkansas, definitely wouldn't risk it on some guys in Dallas.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: chiefhawg on September 29, 2015, 11:26:18 am
Brown is 75 years old. A 2 year show cause to show what; that can get around without a walker at 77?

Brown is probably financially set for the rest of his life. SMU is the entity paying a price for hiring him with his known disdain for the NCAA's rules pertaining to student/athletes.

I'm not surprised. Brown has a checkered past with regards to bending and breaking rules........................I think he is a really good coach BUT I don't respect him for his disdain for following the rules. When I first read he was hired there my though was "Didn't they learn their lesson years ago with the football team?".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wildhog

I guess the NCAA concluded their investigation of the Ole Miss football program. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Danny J

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 29, 2015, 10:00:57 am
I could see them hammering A&M. It's the schools like Syracuse and UNC that they won't punish like this. Schools with documented, lengthy transgressions. I mean, UNC was giving degrees to kids that didn't do any coursework. Proven.
Was about to post the same thing. Sounds like some of these schools that are being made an example of would have a case to go after the NCAA and the way it seems to give slaps on wrists to programs like UNC but hammers programs like SMU.

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

BadHog

Major Infractions List
SMU now has a nation-leading 10 major infractions, according to the NCAA:
SCHOOL   INFRACTIONS
SMU             10
Arizona State   9
Oklahoma       8
Wichita State   8
Auburn           7
Florida State   7
Texas A&M   7
U. California (Berkeley)   7
Georgia   7
Memphis   7
Minnesota   7
Wisconsin   7
West Virginia   7
Baylor   6
Kansas State   6
Mississippi State   6
UCLA   6
Cincinnati   6
Illinois   6
Kansas   6
Kentucky   6
Miami (Florida)   6
Southern California   6
Texas-Rio Grande Valley   6
-- NCAA
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

PonderinHog

hoglady

I would love to see a side by side comparison of the SMU violations compared to the UNC violations.
UNC's academic fraud was so systemic and reached so many of their athletes.
The NCAA is about as unfair entity as there ever was. They are afraid to touch the big boys so they hammer the little guys.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: -Blu on September 29, 2015, 10:15:37 am
I would hope so, that's really unfair to them.

Fair isn't a word in the vocabulary of the NCAA.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

PorkRinds

Quote from: hoglady on September 30, 2015, 08:30:29 am
I would love to see a side by side comparison of the SMU violations compared to the UNC violations.
UNC's academic fraud was so systemic and reached so many of their athletes.
The NCAA is about as unfair entity as there ever was. They are afraid to touch the big boys so they hammer the little guys.

Which is why SMU will likely win on appeal.  They may only get reduced penalties or something, but they won't get the full brunt of the penalties.  If they do, they should take it to federal court.

jbcarol

Jeffe Eisenberg ‏@JeffEisenberg 23h23 hours ago

This excuse from SMU's president is so laughably bad. So academic fraud wasn't a violation 25 years ago?

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: BadHog on September 30, 2015, 07:31:10 am
Major Infractions List
SCHOOL   INFRACTIONS
SMU             10
Arizona State   9
Oklahoma       8
Wichita State   8
Auburn           7
Florida State   7
Texas A&M   7
Georgia   7
Memphis   7
Minnesota   7
Wisconsin   7
West Virginia   7
Baylor   6
Kansas State   6
Mississippi State   6
UCLA   6
Cincinnati   6
Illinois   6
Kansas   6
Kentucky   6
Miami (Florida)   6
Southern California   6
-- NCAA

We couldn't even make this list ???  If you can't make this list you aren't trying hard enough. Another epic fail by CMA. He needs to go out and find some new assistants.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

husker71

obviously not all these infractions are for Mens basketball  just for clarification

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BadHog on September 30, 2015, 07:31:10 am
Major Infractions List
SCHOOL   INFRACTIONS
SMU             10
Arizona State   9
Oklahoma       8
Wichita State   8
Auburn           7
Florida State   7
Texas A&M   7
Georgia   7
Memphis   7
Minnesota   7
Wisconsin   7
West Virginia   7
Baylor   6
Kansas State   6
Mississippi State   6
UCLA   6
Cincinnati   6
Illinois   6
Kansas   6
Kentucky   6
Miami (Florida)   6
Southern California   6
-- NCAA

aggies can't win at cheating................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 30, 2015, 08:38:27 am
Which is why SMU will likely win on appeal.  They may only get reduced penalties or something, but they won't get the full brunt of the penalties.  If they do, they should take it to federal court.

Why would NCAA rules violations be covered by the courts?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 30, 2015, 06:50:05 pm
Why would NCAA rules violations be covered by the courts?

Well they are in federal court right now for other things.  What other recourse do they have if they feel like the NCAA is unfairly targeting them?

BadHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on September 30, 2015, 10:37:28 am
We couldn't even make this list ???  If you can't make this list you aren't trying hard enough. Another epic fail by CMA. He needs to go out and find some new assistants.

This isn't just basketball - it includes all NCAA infractions from all sports.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Rzbakfromwaybak

Maybe SMU is going for the "grand slam" in college sports?   They already got the death penalty once back in the 80's for their football team......maybe they are trying to achieve the same thing in basketball ?   :)
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 30, 2015, 07:42:10 pm
Well they are in federal court right now for other things.  What other recourse do they have if they feel like the NCAA is unfairly targeting them?

Please show where ANY school has taken them to federal court over rules violations penalties unfairness...............

PorkRinds

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 01, 2015, 08:55:37 am
Please show where ANY school has taken them to federal court over rules violations penalties unfairness...............

I didn't say they had.  But the NCAA is involved in federal court cases right now.  Again I ask you, what recourse do they have if they feel they've been unfairly targeted?  But since you asked, here's one.  Although it was a person that sued over an infraction and not a school.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/03/26/usc-ad-pat-haden-ncaa-sanctions-unfair

QuoteMcNair sued the NCAA in June 2011, saying the NCAA investigation was one-sided and seeks unspecified damages for libel, slander and breach of contract. McNair's contract was not renewed by the school after the show-cause penalty was handed down.

so....

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: chiefhawg on September 29, 2015, 11:26:18 am

SMU has never been concerned about avoiding periodic NCAA sanctions.

Hog_One_Stop

Wild Bill Hog