Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Practice

Started by litmachog, September 27, 2015, 01:30:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

litmachog

When does practice start?

TexArkHogFan

September 27, 2015, 04:29:39 pm #1 Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:10:29 pm by TexArkHogFan
When Hog fans quit following football.  Should be starting any day now.   

Best I can tell, practice can start 42  days before the first scheduled game.  We play Southern University on November 13.  So, that would make it October 2nd unless the rules have changed. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on September 27, 2015, 04:29:39 pm
When Hog fans quit following football.  Should be starting any day now.   

Best I can tell, practice can start 42  days before the first scheduled game.  We play Southern University on November 13.  So, that would make it October 2nd unless the rules have changed.

Seems so far away.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

chiefhawg

Jon Rothstein says 4 days from today.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  7h7 hours ago
Only 4 days until college basketball season officially begins.......#countdown

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: chiefhawg on September 28, 2015, 01:57:10 pm
Jon Rothstein says 4 days from today.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  7h7 hours ago
Only 4 days until college basketball season officially begins.......#countdown

Practice? We talking bout practice?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

-Blu

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on September 28, 2015, 03:02:00 pm
Practice? We talking bout practice?

Man, that never gets old... I can watch that video now and still laugh as hard as I did the first time.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

TexArkHogFan

Just hope we have enough players to hold a scrimmage.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

-Blu

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on September 28, 2015, 06:10:13 pm

Got 10 on scholarship that are eligible to practice + 1 walk-on.  Plus I'm sure we'll know the status of Beard and Thomas before the season starts.  They'll have enough bodies to scrimmage.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on September 28, 2015, 06:10:13 pm

That's why Kikko is helping out!!

TexArkHogFan

I know that's just the way it is but why can't we get some kind of update every now and then on how things are going much like they do in football?  Has anybody been able to watch any practices or are they closed to the public?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on October 04, 2015, 06:51:35 pm
I know that's just the way it is but why can't we get some kind of update every now and then on how things are going much like they do in football?  Has anybody been able to watch any practices or are they closed to the public?

Today is first official practice.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 05, 2015, 06:16:00 am
Today is first official practice.

Sorry bout that.  From the above post I thought it was the 2nd.  If past holds true to form doubt if we'll hear much unless someone on Hogville attends any practices.  Just curious how the new guys looked and if any of the old ones showed any improvement.

The_Iceman

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">🐗🏀🕞 <a href="http://t.co/6e44N7wGoL">pic.twitter.com/6e44N7wGoL</a></p>&mdash; Razorback Basketball (@RazorbackMBB) <a href="https://twitter.com/RazorbackMBB/status/650999859852345345">October 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

Hawg Red

Willy is a big dude, man.

-Blu

I like that big lineup they were running right there.  Willy and Moses at the same time, if we can't do anything else we'd at least be able to block shots and rebound.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 05, 2015, 11:05:49 am
Willy is a big dude, man.

His wingspan looks at least 7'2". He is a true 6'10".

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on October 05, 2015, 11:09:18 am
I like that big lineup they were running right there.  Willy and Moses at the same time, if we can't do anything else we'd at least be able to block shots and rebound.

Whitt-Bell-Jenkins-Moses-Kouassi.

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 05, 2015, 11:26:12 am
Whitt-Bell-Jenkins-Moses-Kouassi.

Yep, looks like Whitt is going to have some PG duties as expect.  Jenkins will probably play 3/4, probably more 3 this year since we are shorthanded in that department. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on October 05, 2015, 11:46:37 am
Yep, looks like Whitt is going to have some PG duties as expect.  Jenkins will probably play 3/4, probably more 3 this year since we are shorthanded in that department. 

I expect Whitt's time at PG will depend solely on Beard's future. If Beard is back, Whitt will likely start off the ball.

Woo Pig25

My BOLD prediction for this year is that Jimmy Whitt will be in the discussion for SEC Freshman of the Year.  When you look at what he will have to do for this team this season, he will play major minutes and have to be a major producer, which he is used to being.  Th kid knows how to put the ball in the basket in a variety of ways.  Going to be fun seeing this young man play and get better as the year goes on.  Has already transformed his body and added the majority of the weight he needed to compete in the SEC.  Will be a pro in 3-4 years.

-Blu

Quote from: Woo Pig25 on October 05, 2015, 01:05:21 pm
My BOLD prediction for this year is that Jimmy Whitt will be in the discussion for SEC Freshman of the Year.  When you look at what he will have to do for this team this season, he will play major minutes and have to be a major producer, which he is used to being.  Th kid knows how to put the ball in the basket in a variety of ways.  Going to be fun seeing this young man play and get better as the year goes on.  Has already transformed his body and added the majority of the weight he needed to compete in the SEC.  Will be a pro in 3-4 years.

It is about time for the bold predictions thread.

hogman99

Kind of like the Portis and Moses lineup folks were asking for last year. I will believe it when I see it in an official game. 

-Blu

Quote from: hogman99 on October 05, 2015, 01:42:33 pm
Kind of like the Portis and Moses lineup folks were asking for last year. I will believe it when I see it in an official game.

Different year different circumstances.  I'm not going to knock lineups when they won 27 games with what they did. 

And CMA did try Moses/Portis combo, they even started a game together, it just didn't work.  Moses looked lost out there when Portis was out there with him, it's like he didn't want to get in his way or something.  May work better with Kouassi because he doesn't dominate the ball like Portis did.  With that said, I still excpet Miles to start at the 4 and Kingsley at 5.  But I'm sure we will see some bigger lineups, they really have no choice.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogman99 on October 05, 2015, 01:42:33 pm

We may not have a choice though. Our forwards consist of Miles (6'7"), Thompson (6'9") Kingsley (6'10"), Kouassi (6'10"). Jenkins is more of a 3, but you could throw him in there as well at 6'7". We don't have a Jacorey and Harris at PF this year.

hogman99

Quote from: -Blu on October 05, 2015, 01:48:22 pm
Different year different circumstances.  I'm not going to knock lineups when they won 27 games with what they did. 

And CMA did try Moses/Portis combo, they even started a game together, it just didn't work.  Moses looked lost out there when Portis was out there with him, it's like he didn't want to get in his way or something.  May work better with Kouassi because he doesn't dominate the ball like Portis did.  With that said, I still excpet Miles to start at the 4 and Kingsley at 5.  But I'm sure we will see some bigger lineups, they really have no choice.

Coaches job is to make it work and put the best players on the floor. Hope the guys in the NBA can play with Portis on the floor.

-Blu

Quote from: hogman99 on October 05, 2015, 06:20:06 pm
Coaches job is to make it work and put the best players on the floor. Hope the guys in the NBA can play with Portis on the floor.

Obviously they did that.... what are you talking about.  Did you watch the team play last year?

hogman99

Quote from: -Blu on October 05, 2015, 07:33:12 pm
Obviously they did that.... what are you talking about.  Did you watch the team play last year?

Yes I did and IMO with the talent they had they should have done better.

poloprince

Quote from: hogman99 on October 05, 2015, 08:19:34 pm

They finished 2nd to a team of bluechips, so I am not quite sure what more you can ask for.
$PoLoPrInCe$

-Blu

We had 1 McDonald AA, a bunch of role players, and found 1 3-star that was a diamond in the rough in Qualls.  We had a top 20 team, but definitely weren't a top 20 team on paper.  We actually overachieved on what a lot of people thought we could do.  I don't remember your prediction post of us winning 27 games, going to the SEC championship game, and being a 5 seed in the tournament, I don't think I seen anyone predict that, the optimistic posts I remember were around 25 wins.

And I watched every game last year and I can tell you Kingsley had bit of a sophomore slump, he was out of position on defense a lot, and at times looked lost.  There was threads discussing that during the season, that's why a lot of people are skeptical about this season, because we really don't have any proven guys this year, we're hoping Kingsley can find his rhythm this year, we really need him to.  Alandise Harris outplayed him on both offense and defense last year, hence he played more minutes.  You brought up Portis and Chicago, I can guarantee you if Portis doesn't produce and looks lost when he's on the floor he won't be out there. 

-Blu

Quote from: poloprince on October 05, 2015, 08:58:04 pm
They finished 2nd to a team of bluechips, so I am not quite sure what more you can ask for.

It's funny how we all of a sudden underachieved last year, when not a single person on here predicted we'd have the year we did.  I actually remember a lot of people thinking we'd be a high seed in the tournament or not make it all. 

hogman99

October 05, 2015, 09:12:13 pm #31 Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:26:57 pm by hogman99
Quote from: -Blu on October 05, 2015, 08:59:35 pm
We had 1 McDonald AA, a bunch of role players, and found 1 3-star that was a diamond in the rough in Qualls.  We had a top 20 team, but definitely weren't a top 20 team on paper.  We actually overachieved on what a lot of people thought we could do.  I don't remember your prediction post of us winning 27 games, going to the SEC championship game, and being a 5 seed in the tournament, I don't think I seen anyone predict that, the optimistic posts I remember were around 25 wins.

And I watched every game last year and I can tell you Kingsley had bit of a sophomore slump, he was out of position on defense a lot, and at times looked lost.  There was threads discussing that during the season, that's why a lot of people are skeptical about this season, because we really don't have any proven guys this year, we're hoping Kingsley can find his rhythm this year, we really need him to.  Alandise Harris outplayed him on both offense and defense last year, hence he played more minutes.  You brought up Portis and Chicago, I can guarantee you if Portis doesn't produce and looks lost when he's on the floor he won't be out there.

I agree, we can't recruit.

-Blu

Quote from: hogman99 on October 05, 2015, 09:12:13 pm
I agree, we can't recruit.

So, what were you talking about before when you said we should have done better with the talent we had?  So, is it we can't recruit or we are underachieving with talent?  Because if you can't recruit you obviously don't have any talent. 

hogman99

Quote from: poloprince on October 05, 2015, 08:58:04 pm

2nd weekend of the NCAA Tourney.

hogman99

Quote from: -Blu on October 05, 2015, 09:24:54 pm
So, what were you talking about before when you said we should have done better with the talent we had?  So, is it we can't recruit or we are underachieving with talent?  Because if you can't recruit you obviously don't have any talent.

We can't recruit and that usually means you have a small window to have a good year. When that year happens you better do well. As you have seen our recruiting from that banner year from last year has yielded very little.

-Blu

Quote from: hogman99 on October 05, 2015, 09:30:00 pm
We can't recruit and that usually means you have a small window to have a good year. When that year happens you better do well. As you have seen our recruiting from that banner year from last year has yielded very little.

So, basically you just wanted to come to a thread about practice and tell us how much you don't like how the staff coaches or recruits.  Your complaint has been noted, thanks for stopping by.

PonderinHog

We talkin' 'bout practice ???  Practice ???  Not a game ???  Practice ??? 

Good deal.  I hope they come together and surprise some folks this year.   :razorback:

hogman99

Quote from: -Blu on October 05, 2015, 09:34:44 pm
So, basically you just wanted to come to a thread about practice and tell us how much you don't like how the staff coaches or recruits.  Your complaint has been noted, thanks for stopping by.

Thanks, you are right and I am wrong. I hope practice brings out the best in all the players and staff and this season turns out well.

azhog10

Quote from: hogman99 on October 05, 2015, 09:53:14 pm

Thanks, you are right and I am wrong. I hope practice brings out the best in all the players and staff and this season turns out well.
Do you? Not sure you actually HOPE that happens.

The_Iceman

PonderinHog

Hope creeps in.  I can't help it.

hogman99

Quote from: azhog10 on October 06, 2015, 08:52:50 am
Do you? Not sure you actually HOPE that happens.

I actually do. Believe it or not, I want to win otherwise I would not be on this board.

gmarv

mbgrulz

We better block EVERY shot with that lineup, because we probably aren't scoring.

You won't see that lineup much btw.

mbgrulz

Hogman99, you realize we were at best 3rd in talent in the SEC right? UK and LSU were easily better than us on paper.

Also, have you looked at UNC's roster? they beat us because they were far and away more talented. It's not even close.

We had a GREAT season last year for us. With 27 Ws, there is no way someone can complain without looking ridiculous.

TomBigBeeHog

Nothing at all about practices?  ??? >:(

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2015/oct/12/ua-needs-miles-to-stand-out-on-court-20/?sports-college

"The guy I keep seeing is Keaton Miles," Anderson said. "I'm seeing Keaton play like a veteran. He watched Alandise and Bobby and those guys when it was their time. Now it's his time."

[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Nice report about him and others off the court.

So MA is saying Keaton won't be lost defensively as he was last season in the few times he got to play?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

King Kong

Quote from: hogman99 on October 05, 2015, 09:25:29 pm
2nd weekend of the NCAA Tourney.

It's all about match ups. It we had got UCLA's match ups we would have been in the Sweet 16 as well