Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Walk-On

Started by NLRHog92, September 09, 2015, 07:04:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NLRHog92

6-5 Guard transfer from Drury, originally from Springdale. Will be a Jr. but looks like he'll have to sit out the upcoming year. Started half their games last year, but only averaged 3.3 points and 2.8 rebounds a game. In high school averaged 13.6 points, 7.4 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game, All-Conference and All-State.

http://www.drurypanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1591
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1216108/highlights/35282410/v2

Porked Tongue

TomBigBeeHog

Another body for practice. Good deal.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

jjdlc

Can't hurt to have more bodies.  You sure he'll have to sit this year though?

http://informedathlete.com/ncaa-walk-on-transfer-rules-for-division-i-sports

Seems like he'd be eligible for the one time transfer rule since we didn't recruit him. 

NLRHog92

Quote from: jjdlc on September 09, 2015, 07:27:08 pm
Can't hurt to have more bodies.  You sure he'll have to sit this year though?

http://informedathlete.com/ncaa-walk-on-transfer-rules-for-division-i-sports

Seems like he'd be eligible for the one time transfer rule since we didn't recruit him.

Didn't know about that rule. He possibly could apply to that exception, and would make more sense as to why he transferred since we're low on bodies this year. In start of 2016 season we'll have a lot of new guys, so seems it would be harder for him to get a spot. He might just want to transfer back home and be a part of the team, but fingers crossed he's immediately eligible. Thanks for pointing that out.

-Blu

Quote from: NLRHog92 on September 09, 2015, 07:40:41 pm
Didn't know about that rule. He possibly could apply to that exception, and would make more sense as to why he transferred since we're low on bodies this year. In start of 2016 season we'll have a lot of new guys, so seems it would be harder for him to get a spot. He might just want to transfer back home and be a part of the team, but fingers crossed he's immediately eligible. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yea, wouldn't make much sense for him to walk-on to sit out a year, when we'll have a full roster next year.  Since, we are short handed this year, it would be a better opportunity for him.  If he's solid on the defensive end, it's possible he could see a couple minutes here or there this year, if he's eligible.

Porked Tongue

He's coming from a non D-1 school.

husker71

I don't think you have to sit out if not coming from D1 school     In my 1st basketball magazine this year I saw a few xfers from NAIA to Div 1 under newcomers and they look immediately eligible   By the way I read some where there are 600+ transfers this year many of them graduated seniors.

jjdlc

I wasn't sure if there was a sit out rule when moving up to D1 or not, I know players move down all the time and don't have to sit.  It just seemed like to me, that even if there was a rule, that he might be eligible under the rule I posted.  Either way, seems like a good chance he gets to play this season.

Razoryak

Quote from: jjdlc on September 09, 2015, 08:23:15 pm
I wasn't sure if there was a sit out rule when moving up to D1 or not, I know players move down all the time and don't have to sit.  It just seemed like to me, that even if there was a rule, that he might be eligible under the rule I posted.  Either way, seems like a good chance he gets to play this season.

It doesn't matter if he is eligible, if things get so bad that he sees the court our poor hogs won't win ten games
Woo Pig

WarPig88

Quote from: Razoryak on September 09, 2015, 09:59:18 pm
It doesn't matter if he is eligible, if things get so bad that he sees the court our poor hogs won't win ten games

You are aware that most of Nolan's teams had walkons playing and that just this past season we had a walkon make a last second shot to win at Ole Miss?

Razoryak

Quote from: WarPig88 on September 09, 2015, 10:22:28 pm
You are aware that most of Nolan's teams had walkons playing and that just this past season we had a walkon make a last second shot to win at Ole Miss?

I am aware, I am also aware of the player in questions skill set. I don't want to go down this road though, player bashing is not tolerated. Glad he got to walk on , hopefully helps them have 5 on 5 drills in practice.
Woo Pig

Porked Tongue

-Blu

Quote from: Razoryak on September 09, 2015, 10:40:19 pm
I am aware, I am also aware of the player in questions skill set. I don't want to go down this road though, player bashing is not tolerated. Glad he got to walk on , hopefully helps them have 5 on 5 drills in practice.

CMA has had a good history of getting the most out of walk-ons.  With that said, I would agree with you, that if we are depending on him for significant minutes, probably means something isn't going right.   Best case scenario, he's a hard worker, hustle player, and will get after people on the defensive end. And if we get in foul trouble, he's a guy that can at least hold his own for a few minutes if needed.  If you can get that out of a walk-on that's a win.  Regardless, it's good to get another guy to be at practice.  You need at least 11-12 guys to really play this system to it's full potential.

Hog are ya

Glad to have another body!  Like some others have said, we can sure use him as a decent practice player at the least.

As for his game, his highlight video from high school was the first I've seen/heard of him.  As I watched it, I couldn't help but think of, at this stage of his game anyway, a "poor-mans" Manny Watkins.  This was from the 3 min video I saw which didn't show him any on the defensive side of the ball.  But his handles was very similar to Manny's and his build is similar, though he's a bit longer which is good.  Also, most all his points came from a "running-in-the-paint-layup-jumper-type-shot" that Manny typically takes and usually hit until he made the game winner against Ole Miss? He also seems to have some of Manny's decent vision of the lanes for both passing and driving.

The video list him as a shooting guard yet not any footage I saw of him making a three.  Also contributing to the Watkins comparison....

So all this being said, I think he'll be a good practice player, and he may have to play some mins here and there this year.  But I realize short of a Scottie Pippen type growth spurt in game, his contributions directly on the court will be much limited.  But welcome aboard young man!  For whatever reason I sure made a long post about it that i don't blame anyone for not still reading!

All these guys that compete for us this year, starters, walk-ons whatever, I hope we give them a bunch of support here and everywhere else.  Those still standing need and deserve it!     

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hog are ya on September 10, 2015, 04:11:45 am
Glad to have another body!  Like some others have said, we can sure use him as a decent practice player at the least.

As for his game, his highlight video from high school was the first I've seen/heard of him.  As I watched it, I couldn't help but think of, at this stage of his game anyway, a "poor-mans" Manny Watkins.  This was from the 3 min video I saw which didn't show him any on the defensive side of the ball.  But his handles was very similar to Manny's and his build is similar, though he's a bit longer which is good.  Also, most all his points came from a "running-in-the-paint-layup-jumper-type-shot" that Manny typically takes and usually hit until he made the game winner against Ole Miss? He also seems to have some of Manny's decent vision of the lanes for both passing and driving.

The video list him as a shooting guard yet not any footage I saw of him making a three.  Also contributing to the Watkins comparison....

So all this being said, I think he'll be a good practice player, and he may have to play some mins here and there this year.  But I realize short of a Scottie Pippen type growth spurt in game, his contributions directly on the court will be much limited.  But welcome aboard young man!  For whatever reason I sure made a long post about it that i don't blame anyone for not still reading!

All these guys that compete for us this year, starters, walk-ons whatever, I hope we give them a bunch of support here and everywhere else.  Those still standing need and deserve it!     

good post. +1
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

PorkRinds

Pretty sure Drury won the DII national championship within the last few years.  They have some decent players.  I know a kid that went there and helped them win the natty.

DeltaBoy

Good for that young man.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 10, 2015, 08:31:08 am
Pretty sure Drury won the DII national championship within the last few years.  They have some decent players.  I know a kid that went there and helped them win the natty.

Alex hall?  I  went to hs with him.  Pretty sure he was their best player.  He definitely could have walked on to Missouri last year and probably us this year.

PorkRinds

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on September 10, 2015, 02:46:50 pm
Alex hall?  I  went to hs with him.  Pretty sure he was their best player.  He definitely could have walked on to Missouri last year and probably us this year.

Ian Carter. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: NLRHog92 on September 09, 2015, 07:04:42 pm
6-5 Guard transfer from Drury, originally from Springdale. Will be a Jr. but looks like he'll have to sit out the upcoming year. Started half their games last year, but only averaged 3.3 points and 2.8 rebounds a game. In high school averaged 13.6 points, 7.4 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game, All-Conference and All-State.

http://www.drurypanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1591
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1216108/highlights/35282410/v2

Stats are not impressive and I think Drury is NAIA so competition will be way below SEC/NCAA so what I figure he will be a nice addition to the practice squad.  He will have to red shirt this year unless he qualifies for some weird exception like needing to move closer to home to take care of mom or dad or something like that.  With scholarships available this year he will probable get his education paid for a year unless that misses up our graduation rate if he goes off next year.    Manny might also get to be on a scholarship.  Sweet for them both.   Next year hopefully both will go back to walking on and we can have a full squad again. 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on September 10, 2015, 03:42:55 pm
Stats are not impressive and I think Drury is NAIA so competition will be way below SEC/NCAA so what I figure he will be a nice addition to the practice squad.  He will have to red shirt this year unless he qualifies for some weird exception like needing to move closer to home to take care of mom or dad or something like that.  With scholarships available this year he will probable get his education paid for a year unless that misses up our graduation rate if he goes off next year.    Manny might also get to be on a scholarship.  Sweet for them both.   Next year hopefully both will go back to walking on and we can have a full squad again.

Drury is D2 and won the national championship 3 seasons ago. Would've beaten several mid majors.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on September 10, 2015, 07:28:50 pm
Drury is D2 and won the national championship 3 seasons ago. Would've beaten several mid majors.

So are you saying Drury is more talented so he is transferring because he has a better chance of playing here than at Drury because we have less talent than Drury?     LOL.

moses_007

Great news.  He will be eligible to play immediately.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on September 10, 2015, 10:12:42 pm
So are you saying Drury is more talented so he is transferring because he has a better chance of playing here than at Drury because we have less talent than Drury?     LOL.

No... I'm saying they aren't NAIA, but a legit D2 squad. At least 2 years ago anyway.  He wasn't a stud but helps with practice.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on September 10, 2015, 10:12:42 pm

Lol. This is a stretch, even for you. Everyone is saying it's great to have another practice player this year and you try to make it seem like someone is saying the kid is transferring here for more playing time.

lstewart

My son played with him at Springdale High, so it is a great opportunity for a kid to be a Razorback, which no one will ever be able to take away from him. 25 years from now, he will have played for the Hogs. That said, it highlights the problem of scrambling around to have enough bodies to practice.