Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 @Memphis Highlights

Started by Jborohog09, August 08, 2015, 03:24:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jborohog09

Highlights of the win at Memphis in 2002, enjoy!  Jannero Pargo went off and put up 30 points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxhZtW3pQBo&index=174&list=PL05B3794112DCB0A7

bulldog04

Did the coach that pushed J.J. get a technical?

Jborohog09

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: bulldog04 on August 08, 2015, 03:37:33 pm
Did the coach that pushed J.J. get a technical?
It was Tony Barbee the former HC of Auburn and current assistant at Kentucky.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on August 08, 2015, 09:47:36 pm
It was Tony Barbee the former HC of Auburn and current assistant at Kentucky.

And ironic that at one time he was the coach at Nolan's Alma Mater UTEP......................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hollywood_HOGan45

Such a fantastic win in an otherwise terrible last season for Nolan.

I truly believe if we had found a way to beat Illinois (Screw off Ted Hillary) Nolan would have been here at least 5 additional years.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 10, 2015, 02:07:17 pm
Such a fantastic win in an otherwise terrible last season for Nolan.

I truly believe if we had found a way to beat Illinois (Screw off Ted Hillary) Nolan would have been here at least 5 additional years.

One win wouldn't have bought him five additional years. The writing was already on the wall for Nolan that year, once he started struggling. They had already tried to get rid of him in 2000 and then he won the SEC Tournament and got the automatic bid.

They had already lost to unranked Wake Forest and unranked Oklahoma at home before that Illinois game.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

EastexHawg

It was time for Nolan to go.  He wasn't signing players with fundamental basketball skills anymore. 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 11, 2015, 03:15:20 pm
It was time for Nolan to go.  He wasn't signing players with fundamental basketball skills anymore.

Sullinger was pretty salty, everyone else was lacking though for sure.

MikePiazza

Well, at least not at the rate he had been. Andre Iguodala was a pretty significant signee.

Nolan had just gotten burned out and the way that whole season went down wore on him. If you watch those highlights closely you see Mike doing a lot more coaching than Nolan did. He did look pretty excited after that one, though, probably because they had just beaten down Calipari.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: MikePiazza on August 11, 2015, 02:33:34 pm
One win wouldn't have bought him five additional years. The writing was already on the wall for Nolan that year, once he started struggling. They had already tried to get rid of him in 2000 and then he won the SEC Tournament and got the automatic bid.

They had already lost to unranked Wake Forest and unranked Oklahoma at home before that Illinois game.

We yea, finishing 16-14 wouldn't have prevented what happened but a big win on the road against the #5 team in the nation could have led to additional confidence and additional wins.

Amityvillehogger

Three players stick out for me from those last few years of Nolan and what if comes to mind.

Chris Jeffries
Andre Iguodala
JJ Sullinger

And its a shame that that 2002 wasnt any better.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

MikePiazza

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on August 11, 2015, 07:28:27 pm
Three players stick out for me from those last few years of Nolan and what if comes to mind.

Chris Jeffries
Andre Iguodala
JJ Sullinger

And its a shame that that 2002 wasnt any better.

Nolan has said before that the 2002 class may have reinvigorated him. Iguodala would have been as good as Joe Johnson was, and he would've had Sullinger and Berry Jordan and others around him that they probably would've gotten back to the NCAA's in 2003 and then maybe made a run in 2004.

Although, it probably wouldn't have included Ronnie Brewer, because he was most likely going to OU had Nolan stayed, simply because Arkansas wouldn't recruit him like the other schools were.

farmhawg

Quote from: MikePiazza on August 12, 2015, 09:28:56 am
Nolan has said before that the 2002 class may have reinvigorated him. Iguodala would have been as good as Joe Johnson was, and he would've had Sullinger and Berry Jordan and others around him that they probably would've gotten back to the NCAA's in 2003 and then maybe made a run in 2004.

Although, it probably wouldn't have included Ronnie Brewer, because he was most likely going to OU had Nolan stayed, simply because Arkansas wouldn't recruit him like the other schools were.
Nolan was done and wanted to hand the program off to mike but the season didn't go right. That was the frustration.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

MikePiazza

Quote from: farmhawg on August 12, 2015, 05:56:18 pm
Nolan was done and wanted to hand the program off to mike but the season didn't go right. That was the frustration.

I don't remember it like that, but I was young and wasn't as plugged in back then.

The_Iceman

I wish we could have that backcourt with last years front court.

Dean / Cleveland
Pargo / Gipson
Qualls / Sullinger
Harris / Williams
Portis / Kingsley

How did we do so poorly with that kind of backcourt talent in Nolan's system?

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 13, 2015, 10:32:17 am
I wish we could have that backcourt with last years front court.

Dean / Cleveland
Pargo / Gipson
Qualls / Sullinger
Harris / Williams
Portis / Kingsley

How did we do so poorly with that kind of backcourt talent in Nolan's system?

No inside presence.

The_Iceman

Atlhogfan1

A little revisionist history in the thread.

Sullinger had good size for a college guard which made him a nice rebounding guard.  He was a poor shooter, not much of an athlete or facilitator for his teammates or defender in terms of steals. 

Igoudala was very raw coming into college.  He wasn't close to the player he of course developed into much later in his career after he was in the NBA.  JJ was much more skilled, not as athletic, than Igoudala as college players.  Igoudala was not taking Arkansas back to any level of glory.  Had the team and class stayed together at Arkansas, an NCAAT appearance may have happened.

Some of those other players recruited in that era were never going to qualify to play for Arkansas.  Mike benefitted from this at UAB with players like Eddins. 

Nolan did not want to retire and hand it to Mike.  He thought with Igoudala, he could make another run.

We could dream if Nolan remained coach if we would have gotten Conley and "little" Sullinger and what our program could have been.  Or if Mike had taken over and Conley Sr would have steered them to Mike.   

I miss watching the offensive smoothness of a guard like Pargo. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 13, 2015, 12:25:24 pm
If only Alonzo Lane was 6'8" and not 6'4".

Lane had some good inside moves just being only 6'4" killed him.

Throw in the face that Kevin Robinson never made it to campus really hurt.  Having a 6'10" shot blocker in the middle would've made a big difference.

Wild Bill Hog

Spot on.  +1

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on August 13, 2015, 02:30:50 pm
Lane had some good inside moves just being only 6'4" killed him.

Throw in the face that Kevin Robinson never made it to campus really hurt.  Having a 6'10" shot blocker in the middle would've made a big difference.

The downfall of this program started post 1995, when Nolan failed to capitalize on the success we were having. Too many risks with guys with bad grades.

You might could say that is Reid would have been eligible in '95, we would have won that title too. Not being able to claim "back-to-back Champions" is something that still hurts to this day. It would have changed our program.