Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'Glow-ball' tournaments

Started by Tomhog™, July 27, 2006, 08:02:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomhog™

Anyone ever play in a glow ball tournament?  I'm playing one at the Lion's Club in El Dorado this weekend.  We play the back nine in daylight, take a break for burgers and wait until dark.  Then at dark-thirty we play with ball that has a little glow stick inside it.  The pins have giant glow sticks too.  This will be my first time.  Anyone else have a chance to do something like this?  It sounds like a blast!

Hoop

July 27, 2006, 09:21:52 pm #1 Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 09:59:30 pm by Bania
I played in one, and it was one of the one funnest events i've ever played in. The balls don't go as far, but its not that hard to adjust. With the glowball you'll have to club up a couple clubs. Say if I have my normal 8 iron into the green, i would hit my 6 or 7 iron.

You look up and see all these balls flying around you, it's awesome. You'll enjoy it. Make sure you come back and tell us how it went.
Blaming Alex Wood for any problems with the offense is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat.-Swino

Hiring Dana Altman would be about as sexy as waking up in the morning to find your grandma with one tit in the coffee and the other in the oatmeal. -Wilsonhog

V. V. Hawg

We had one of these tourney's with a 10:00pm tee off once at the TPC Southwind in Memphis.  We even had some of the fairways marked with a few light sticks on each side.  It looked pretty cool!  It was a members only couples scramble, 32 teams went out and only 17 came back in after play.  I don't remember when all the carts showed back up.  But, we stopped looking for them after we found a team that had, um, you might say, definitely found the hole.  We came back and told the boss they were still playing and it would probably be a while before they were finished.  He let us go home and never said another word about who didn't show back up that night.  I did hear one of the men say that was the cheapest($250 a team) POA he'd had in a while, LOL.

Bania is right, they don't travel as far as regular balls do.

waphill

I've heard of a few instances where those glow balls cracked the face of a driver. It was only on the newer, very thin-faced drivers. If you just dropped a few hundred on a new driver, you might want to bring your old one, just to be safe. Anyone else ever heard or seen this?

Hawgasaurus

Oh, you'll have a blast.  I played in one in Hot Springs and I hit a ball in the water and had to strip down and go in after it because they only gave us one ball to play!  The one I played in, they also changed the tee locations so almost every hole was a par 3 and you didn't have to pull a wood!  There was lots of beer involved...  Have fun!
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

Hawgasaurus

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

Tomhog™

The tourney was A LOT of fun!  Everyone was right, the ball carries much shorter than regular golf balls.  We didn't get tee box relief either.  We had a LONG par 5 that even under 4-man scramble it took us 4 shots to get to the green.  The only tees that were moved were numbers 7 and 8.  They tried to take the water out.  Didn't work for me.  My drive took an AWFUL bounce and went 90 degrees to the right into the water.  Luckily, they float and was only about 5 feet away from the ground and we had an extension pole.

There were 12 teams total that night, 1 didn't turn in a score.  We finished tied for 6th at 1-under par for 18 holes.  The winning team smashed everyone at 11-under!  But one of their team members could consistently drive a regular ball off the driving range and onto number 11 behind it.  I managed to drive one about 260 or so on number 6 that left a perfect approach shot.  But that was putting 110% on my driver.

My only complaint was that some of the guys brought their own cart with headlights.  It is very distracting trying to hit a shot with headlight shining right at you.  Other than that, it was just about the most fun I've ever had playing golf.  I highly recommend it to everyone!

Hawgasaurus

excellent.  I wish the glow ball tourney I played in had floating golf balls, it would have saved me a dip in the pond!

Tomhog™

Quote from: Hawgasaurus on August 04, 2006, 09:33:00 am
excellent.  I wish the glow ball tourney I played in had floating golf balls, it would have saved me a dip in the pond!

You wouldn't want to take a dip in this pond.  It is gray water off of a treatment plant.  It's been treated to a degree, but is not potable.  You might grow another leg in there!

Hawgasaurus

thesportsfreak

I played in 1.. Pretty cool,distance was difficult..Actually putted better with glow-ball..