Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'77 British open

Started by JoeyCapital, July 05, 2014, 10:08:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyCapital

I'm too young to have seen it live, but I caught the Golfs Greatest Rounds episode of it.

Nicklaus and Watson shooting 65-66 and 65-65 on the weekend to lap the field. That was one helluva tournament!

For my money that was as good as it gets in tourney golf. Tiger blowing everyone away in '97 and at pebble were awe-inspiring, but has there ever been a better competition than that one?
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

alwaysondbigscreen

i was lucky enuf to play that course once. they had the  scorecards in the clubhouse. well they might have actually been replicas but still cool
some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

Iwastherein1969

July 10, 2014, 12:01:41 am #2 Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:13:00 am by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: golf2day on July 05, 2014, 10:08:24 am
I'm too young to have seen it live, but I caught the Golfs Greatest Rounds episode of it.

Nicklaus and Watson shooting 65-66 and 65-65 on the weekend to lap the field. That was one helluva tournament!

For my money that was as good as it gets in tourney golf. Tiger blowing everyone away in '97 and at pebble were awe-inspiring, but has there ever been a better competition than that one?
I was a kid but I remember it well....was 16yrs old....the thing I remember most is that Nicklaus missed several makeable putts and Tom holed everything...they came down to the last hole, with Tom leading Jack by one shot...Jack hit his tee shot in the deep scrub almost stymied against a thick bush, Watson split the center of the fairway....Tom hit first from the middle of the fairway, hit a brilliant 5 iron I think it was, to about 4 feet just to the left of the hole...well, everyone thought it was over with Jack languishing in the rough, well Nicklaus took a mighty hack at a 7 iron and barely made it to the front portion of the green, some 50 feet from the cup (none of the announcers thought he could reach the green from where Jack's tee shot stopped)...anyway, this is vintage Nicklaus,Jack studied the putt like it was a 10 footer for the championship....anyway, Jack in his yellow sweater, I can see it like it was yesterday, stood over the putt for what seemed a lifetime, then pulled his old blade putter back and through the putt, 50 feet or so later, center cut and the bottom of the cup....Suddenly Watson's right to lefter from 4 feet seemed like a 20 footer...well, Tom, never the one to take much time, lined it up, with his Ping offset answer putter made of brass, and hit the putt dead center into the cup....greatest two days of golf in a major ever....quality, quality, quality...those were the days, man !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCttgsGWp44
The long Grey line will never fail our country.