Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN - Ranking every NCAA tournament championship team

Started by JackMcQueen, April 01, 2016, 08:45:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JackMcQueen

Link

25. Arkansas Razorbacks, 1994 (31-3)

Nolan Richardson called his style "40 minutes of hell," and for opponents the Razorbacks' pressing defense was aptly named. Corliss Williamson shot 63 percent on his 2s and led an Arkansas attack that turned back the likes of Georgetown, Michigan and Arizona all by eight points or more before defeating Grant Hill and Duke 76-72 in the final. Bill Clinton cheered on his home-state team from the stands in Charlotte, North Carolina, marking the first time a sitting president attended a Final Four.
2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

Supermark101

You beat me. I was just about to post the same thing. I say we should've been around 15 to 20.

Of interest to Arkansas, The 95 UCLA team is 39. And the "worst" team on the list is the 1944 Utah team that replaced us, after an auto accident forced us to decline an invitation.

azhog10

Quote from: Supermark101 on April 01, 2016, 12:15:53 pm
You beat me. I was just about to post the same thing. I say we should've been around 15 to 20.

Of interest to Arkansas, The 95 UCLA team is 39. And the "worst" team on the list is the 1944 Utah team that replaced us, after an auto accident forced us to decline an invitation.
Had duke won that game they would've been much higher.

Drop the Mike

I was surprised the 02 Maryland team wasn't toward the bottom. That was the worst team and championship game that I've ever seen

BRHogfan

Interesting to see how far the 83 Wolfpack were.  I thought just because of their amazing run they would be higher.

It was also interesting to see 2006 and 2007 Gators separated by so much.

Hogimus Prime

I feel like the Hogs 94 team was better than the 99 UConn and 2001 Duke teams

TNhawgfan

The fact that they have last year's duke team as high as 38 invalidates this ranking
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Adam Stokes

This article is along the same lines, have the '95 Hawgs at #6.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/The-best-teams-that-never-won-the-NCAA-Tournament-44574144

I still think the Uconn team that lost to GW in the Elite 8 was one of the best teams to not win it, team had something like 4 1st rounders get drafted that year.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

April 02, 2016, 09:28:46 am #8 Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:35:23 pm by SooiecidetillNuttgone
Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 01, 2016, 03:29:15 pm
This article is along the same lines, have the '95 Hawgs at #6.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/The-best-teams-that-never-won-the-NCAA-Tournament-44574144

I still think the Uconn team that lost to GW in the Elite 8 was one of the best teams to not win it, team had something like 4 1st rounders get drafted that year.

Seriously?
No Houston Cougars?

Bogus list that pays too much homage to Puke, UCLA, and more recent teams.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

CallMeAl

Article did not take into account that it was easier to win a championship pre 1985.
Hog since birth.

hog.goblin

I thought we about 3 or 4 spots too low, which is pretty close.  The fact that that team should have won '94 and in '95 should give them some lift.

UCLA just dominated for so long.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: Adam Stokes on April 01, 2016, 03:29:15 pm

You mean George Mason?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Should be higher.
Arkansas beat a number one elite eight team by 52 points. They also went undefeated in the big 8.

dhornjr1

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 02, 2016, 09:28:46 am
Seriously?
No Houston Cougars?

Bogus list that pays too much homage to Puke, UCLA, and more recent teams.

This list ranks NCAA tournament champions only. Houston never won a title.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 10, 2016, 12:58:42 am
This list ranks NCAA tournament champions only. Houston never won a title.
They lost 2 in a row in 83 and 84.  I still think the Louisville/Houston semi-final game in 83 was one of the best Final Four games ever.  The championship game vs NC st really was not a well played game.  Just had an amazing finish.

dhornjr1

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 10, 2016, 02:49:16 pm
I still think the Louisville/Houston semi-final game in 83 was one of the best Final Four games ever.

You mean the Phi Slamma Jamma slam dunk contest?  Yeah, that was an enjoyable game to watch. Well, enjoyable for everyone but Louisville fans.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on April 01, 2016, 03:10:33 pm
I feel like the Hogs 94 team was better than the 99 UConn and 2001 Duke teams

That 2001 Duke team had 4 guys with 10+ years in the NBA and one (Duhon) with at least 5.  They had more talent than the 94 team.

With you on UConn though.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!