Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 For 1 with 53 seconds left

Started by yocdaddy, March 11, 2016, 11:54:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yocdaddy

Can anyone explain why we didn't go 2 For 1 with 53 seconds left?  We even had a timeout to coach our players to do it.  The radio guys were talking about it.  Then we take a shot with 28 seconds left.  We were down only 3 points. If we take the 2 for 1 opportunity, we don't have to foul.  These situations are the most frustrating to me.  Thousands of basketball fans in America could have made that decision.  Our coaching staff did not.  If they did, the players didn't listen, which is   just as bad.  We are spending $2+ Million on that type of preparation. 

On top of that, we are counting on JUCO guys next season to deliver us from the depths of mediocrity.  In the last 15 years, name 1 JUCO stud that we've brought in that was a game changer in his first season at Arkansas.  Coty Clarke and Jabril Durham were JUCO studs, but played very average in their first season at Arkansas.  I suspect we will be rebuilding after a coaching change next season. 
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: yocdaddy on March 11, 2016, 11:54:37 am
Can anyone explain why we didn't go 2 For 1 with 53 seconds left?  We even had a timeout to coach our players to do it.  The radio guys were talking about it.  Then we take a shot with 28 seconds left.  We were down only 3 points. If we take the 2 for 1 opportunity, we don't have to foul.  These situations are the most frustrating to me.  Thousands of basketball fans in America could have made that decision.  Our coaching staff did not.  If they did, the players didn't listen, which is   just as bad.  We are spending $2+ Million on that type of preparation. 

On top of that, we are counting on JUCO guys next season to deliver us from the depths of mediocrity.  In the last 15 years, name 1 JUCO stud that we've brought in that was a game changer in his first season at Arkansas.  Coty Clarke and Jabril Durham were JUCO studs, but played very average in their first season at Arkansas.  I suspect we will be rebuilding after a coaching change next season. 

You make some valid points, though Sonny Weems was the rare first year impact JUCO you asked for.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogsanity

Quote from: yocdaddy on March 11, 2016, 11:54:37 am

because the motion offense didn't yield a quicker shot so they just dribbled off most of the last minute of their season.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

lynbug

Quote from: hogsanity on March 11, 2016, 01:07:49 pm
because the motion offense didn't yield a quicker shot so they just dribbled off most of the last minute of their season.

So I guess changing our offense with 1 minute left and down 2 possessions was just out of the question.  As badly as we played yesterday we still should have won with just a few adjustments.  And someone ( I have no idea who) should tell Moses to watch DH and JW shoot free throws.  He throws that ball up there so quick I can't even blink.

hogsanity

Quote from: lynbug on March 11, 2016, 01:43:17 pm

So I guess changing our offense with 1 minute left and down 2 possessions was just out of the question.  As badly as we played yesterday we still should have won with just a few adjustments.  And someone ( I have no idea who) should tell Moses to watch DH and JW shoot free throws.  He throws that ball up there so quick I can't even blink.

Im thinking Dh has over half of the teams points. It would be nice if they actually had a play designed to get him he ball, but yea that ( having set plays ) isn't Mike's style, and we all know with him it is his style above all.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

lynbug

Quote from: lynbug on March 11, 2016, 01:43:17 pm

And the bad think about Moses and his free throw attempts is, as center, he SHOULD be getting quite a few opportunities.

lynbug

Quote from: hogsanity on March 11, 2016, 01:45:33 pm
Im thinking Dh has over half of the teams points. It would be nice if they actually had a play designed to get him he ball, but yea that ( having set plays ) isn't Mike's style, and we all know with him it is his style above all.

That's the thing I like about Dusty.  Early on everyone was talking about his 3-pt. shooting.  So---as most good coaches should do-----they started trying to shut that aspect of his game down.  Then, what does he do?  Starts going inside with the floaters.  It complicates things a bit for the defense. IMHO We need more of that---adjustments, change, different rotations, whatever any particular game calls for.

cubsfan5150

Quote from: hogsanity on March 11, 2016, 01:45:33 pm

Does it ever get old, getting all worked up about Mike?  I don't really remember you going HAM on any previous coaches.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

hogsanity

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on March 11, 2016, 01:53:38 pm
Does it ever get old, getting all worked up about Mike?  I don't really remember you going HAM on any previous coaches.

No older than it must get for those who continually defend him.

Am I wrong? Would it not have been a good idea to have a play designed to get the ball to the guy who has scored over half your points for the game when you are down to the last minute of the season?

Then again, Cubs fans have " wait til next year" tattooed on their person somewhere, what's it been 108 wait til next years now.

lynbug

Quote from: hogsanity on March 11, 2016, 02:01:44 pm
No older than it must get for those who continually defend him.

Am I wrong? Would it not have been a good idea to have a play designed to get the ball to the guy who has scored over half your points for the game when you are down to the last minute of the season?

No you're not wrong.  It's this type of thing that drives me (more) insane.  And to the cubfan5150....I'm not so worked up about MA.....I'm just worked up about the results.  The SEC is gaining some tournament-tested coaches who I believe will have similar results at their new SEC job.  I certainly hope they don't.  But, if they do we must figure out a few things or we will be perennial bottom four.

jdlew

Having Moses out top trying to double team the ball late in the game was a killer...they beat the double team for a layup...

lynbug

Quote from: jdlew on March 11, 2016, 02:27:42 pm
Having Moses out top trying to double team the ball late in the game was a killer...they beat the double team for a layup...

I'm not a former coach....just married to one.  But, shouldn't Moses spend more offensive time inside nearer to the basket rather than out on the perimeter?  I understand screens, double teams, etc.  But, still..........

Danny J

Quote from: lynbug on March 11, 2016, 02:32:13 pm
I'm not a former coach....just married to one.  But, shouldn't Moses spend more offensive time inside nearer to the basket rather than out on the perimeter?  I understand screens, double teams, etc.  But, still..........
It is the nature of our man to man D to switch all screens and every team in the SEC knows this. It is not a terrible idea when you have guys that are good enough to rotate quickly, big men that are quick enough to guard out high and guards that are big enough if caught down low on a switch it is not that big a deal. The problem we have is playing a 4 guard lineup where all our guards are 6'3" or smaller and trying to switch. It creates terrible mismatches that good coached teams can take advantage of. We were better last year in this regard, still not great, because we had a starting lineup that consisted of 6'6", 5'10", 6'7", 6'5" and 6'10".

Wild Bill Hog

It all seemed very normal to me.