Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why I think we can win in Tempe...

Started by TuckFexas, June 09, 2010, 02:11:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TuckFexas

1) The offense came back to life during regionals. I know the majority of our runs were scored in the game against Grambling, but 15 or so HR's in 4 games is oustanding. The lowest run total in any game was 6. Guys like Kreder and McCann stepped up to fill the void left when Eibner/Cox went out. I think we batted .351 as a team over the weekend, so we weren't just waiting on someone to hit a 3 run bomb to supply all the offense.

2) Smyly/Forrest are pitching well and Bolsinger pitches very well on the road (see 'trop's thread). Guys like Kowalchuk and Pratt came in and did very well against a scrappy team that put the ball in play and put pressure on the defense. They have enough talent and poise to not let a bad situation get out of hand.

3) No pressure. Everyone and their dog are picking ASU to win. Plus, they're at home. Baseball is much easier to play when you're loose and having fun. The Hogs will be doing everything together since they're on the road and can possibly find that magic chemistry that wills a team to victory.

4) Experience and the talent to go with it. Wilkins, Smyly, Eibner, Cox, Kuhn, Forrest, McCann, Bigham, Carver, and Bolsinger were all on the CWS team last year and know what it takes to win in the post-season. They're also one of the most talented groups of players to wear the Hog uniform. They know they can beat anyone in the opposing dugout if they play their best.

The thing I'm most worried about is our defense. Flashy plays make the SportsCenter top 10. Routine plays get the W. Fielding a bunt and getting the out, hitting the cutoff man instead of allowing the extra base, staying down on a ground ball, and knowing when to "eat it" instead of make a wild throw are crucial in this series.

When we get runners on, we need to execute. A ground ball to the right side w/ a runner on 2nd and less than 2 outs is more important than trying to jack a round-tripper and whiffing. We can't blow any scoring chances because of poor fundamentals.

If any of you reading this are currently playing for the Hogs, know this. You have an entire state of Hog fans, plus thousands more across the country pulling for you. If you got out there and bust your ass to beat the Sun Devils, we'll be able to tell. Win or lose, you've done a helluva job this year (and certainly last year as well!) and we thank you for the fun ride. Do us proud and show no mercy!
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

FraggleHog

I like where your heads at...

Serious question: When we played ASU last year, did they throw their aces? Did we?
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: FraggleHog on June 09, 2010, 02:34:08 pm

Serious question: When we played ASU last year, did they throw their aces? Did we?

No to both.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: FraggleHog on June 09, 2010, 02:34:08 pm

I don't remember about them, but I know that we didn't.

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on June 09, 2010, 02:38:42 pm
I don't remember about them, but I know that we didn't.
Here's the box scores.  Eibner pitched game one for us against Blair for them.  If I remember correctly, Eibner wasn't in our starting rotation at the time.

The second game we staffed it.  If I remember correctly, Bingham made his first start of the year after being injured at the first of the season, and Smyly threw a few innings, but he wasn't pitching very well at that time.  I don't recognize any of the pitchers names for them on the second game.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30669&SPID=2415&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=3714352

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30669&SPID=2415&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=3715144

FraggleHog

Thanks. I feel good about this series guys.

TuckFexas

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on June 09, 2010, 02:42:25 pm
Here's the box scores.  Eibner pitched game one for us against Blair for them.  If I remember correctly, Eibner wasn't in our starting rotation at the time.

The second game we staffed it.  If I remember correctly, Bingham made his first start of the year after being injured at the first of the season, and Smyly threw a few innings, but he wasn't pitching very well at that time.  I don't recognize any of the pitchers names for them on the second game.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30669&SPID=2415&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=3714352

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30669&SPID=2415&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=3715144

I think Swagerty is one of their main guys out of the pen this year, he threw 3.1 innings last year and only gave up 2 hits and 2 BB, no ER's. He's obviously pretty dang good.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

woodhog14

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on June 09, 2010, 02:42:25 pm

Whatever happened to Bingham? I thought he had a bright future? Was he a senior last year?

FraggleHog

Bingham transferred schools when he learned that Bigham would be replacing him in the field.

guy8699

I think we can win, but no matter what im going to make sure I enjoy the series.  This group of kids has been so fun to watch, i'm going to miss Cox, Eibner, Smyly, when they are gone.  I hope everyone else thats not a senior is back next year.

WBOBO

Guy8699 don't start missing these boys just yet.  We still have some unfinished business and a season
ahead of us.  Hell, might as well go beatem now rather than in Omaha.  For what it's worth, I want me
some Texas in the CWS.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

woodhog14

Quote from: FraggleHog on June 09, 2010, 07:28:29 pm
Bingham transferred schools when he learned that Bigham would be replacing him in the field.

I thought Bingham was a pitcher. I didn't think he was a position player.

FraggleHog

Who would have thunk it. With all the name mix ups of Bigham and Bingham, I thought this was just another case. Bryan Bingham was a RHP for us last year. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Go Hogs!

jst01

Quote from: TuckFexas on June 09, 2010, 02:11:30 pm
The thing I'm most worried about is our defense. Flashy plays make the SportsCenter top 10. Routine plays get the W. Fielding a bunt and getting the out, hitting the cutoff man instead of allowing the extra base, staying down on a ground ball, and knowing when to "eat it" instead of make a wild throw are crucial in this series.

agree.   Will Cox be playing 3rd?   Having Kreder at 1st and Wilk at 3rd is not my idea of a good infield. Too big and slow and neither has range. I pray it is not this way at Tempe.

rmcchris

agree with have a shot.  I was in the area this week.  Man was it hot with 108 or so each day.  Our guys hydration will be important and I'm sure they are all over it.  Even at night the temp this week was in the high 80s, low 90s.  Wish I could have stayed over but could not.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Love the enthusiasm.  Would be thrilled to see the hogs get it done in Tempe.... However, looks like I am going to be the first on here saying that ASU takes 2 of 3.  I'm sure I'll get smited like crazy.  If we win the series I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong and eat crow.  I just think the intangibles favor ASU.  They rarely lose at home, have 2 aces on the mound, injuries and tweaks are still a question with Cox and Eibner, and ASU is just that damn good.  Still rooting like crazy for the Hogs, and am very proud of the season they have had thus far.