Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

13 Jobs Filled...only 3 Head Coaches Moved

Started by WilsonHog, December 03, 2015, 07:12:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

December 03, 2015, 07:12:44 pm Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 08:17:49 pm by Tom Bennett
One of those (Richt) was unemployed at the time. The others were Matt Campbell to Iowa State and Justin Fuente to Virginia Tech.

The rest of the jobs were either filled by coordinators or by interim coaches with the tag removed.

My take? The money has become so big that it's extremely difficult to get successful head coaches to move. The days of fans making a wish list of the four or five best coaches in the business...just that, a wish.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LLPL

December 03, 2015, 07:30:09 pm #2 Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 07:45:42 pm by LLPL
Quote from: Tom Bennett on December 03, 2015, 07:12:44 pm
One of those (Richt) was unemployed at the time. The others were Matt Campbell to Iowa State and Justin Fuente to Virginia Tech.

The rest of the jobs were either filled by coordinators or by interim coaches with the tag removed.

My take? The money has become so big that it's extremely difficult to get successful head coaches to move. The days of fans making a wish list of the four or five best coaches in the business...just that, a wish.

I am becoming more aware of how spoiled we have become in the SEC. I am seeing these no-name hires of Illinois, Maryland etc. and how little they are paying. SEC schools might not always make the right choice but it isn't from a lack of funds.

Our ability to hire assistants is possibly even more impressive than our ability to hire Head Coaches.

Smokehouse

This is why I thought Long's hire of CBB was a no-brainer. Even if it completely blows up (and I don't think that it will), getting a successful head coach to make more-or-less a lateral move is extremely rare. If you judge the process and not the result, you can't fault an AD for making that move.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

DCimport

With DCs getting HC jobs will they go to more of a traditional offense? HUNH must of been torture for Muschamp.

Aporkalypse Now

Quote from: Tom Bennett on December 03, 2015, 07:12:44 pm

The buyouts definitely play a role in that. Some of it is also just like the players, coaches today have so many choices about where they can make really good money and get exposure coaching football. It's no longer a matter of there being about 20 schools that are destination schools for the coaches who want to make big money.

clutch

I thought we were going to have a wild year of coaching changes, with multiple coaches changing schools. With all the big jobs that were open it somehow remained to be a relatively calm boring year of the coaching carousel.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Smokehouse on December 03, 2015, 07:44:08 pm
This is why I thought Long's hire of CBB was a no-brainer. Even if it completely blows up (and I don't think that it will), getting a successful head coach to make more-or-less a lateral move is extremely rare. If you judge the process and not the result, you can't fault an AD for making that move.
to some extent. we certainly wouldn't have gave him the same if it had been Jim Grobe/Terry Bowden. "successful" is in the eye-of-the-beholder.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

DeltaBoy

Quote from: OTR on December 03, 2015, 07:54:29 pm
Gotta love delta's in depth assessment. 

No more was needed. I just affirmed my agreement with Tom Bennets post.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PonderinHog

Our hire 3 years ago is probably the biggest name to move from one college job to another.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Karma on December 04, 2015, 09:03:02 am
Our hire 3 years ago is probably the biggest name to move from one college job to another.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Karma on December 04, 2015, 09:03:02 am
Yep.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Reservoir Hogs

Says just how good of an AD we had to make the hire he did. 

PonderinHog

Dwight_K_Shrute

If you compare the SEC West and SEC East right now it shows which coaching hire give you a better chance of success.  Not a guarantee, but a better chance.

SEC West
All 7 teams Bowl Eligible.
Dominated in cross divisional play
6 of 7 teams hired HCs with previous HC experience as their Coach.

SEC East
Only 2 teams currently have HCs with previous experience.
The two bottom feeders that have yet to sniff a bowl hired coordinators.
Last year Florida fired their HC who was a former coordinator.
It appears that 2 of the East openings will be coordinators.

To me it appears that the West teams are making the greater investment in coaching talent.  I believe this in large part is because we compete with Alabama, they are the gold standard in the East and that's who we have to knock off.

Who is the top dog or real dominant player in the East?  Florida may have won it but definitely not in dominating fashion.  No one is stepping up in the East and making others take notice, there is no statement hire.

You can almost go down the line in the West and no matter what you personally think of the team, each one is a distinct brand or at least trying to differentiate themselves through their coach, style of play, players etc.

What are the brands in the East?  Meh.  And the hires aren't doing anything to raise their profile. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

cmrhawg

ricepig

Quote from: cmrhawg on December 04, 2015, 12:54:51 pm
Richt was fired. He didn't voluntarily move jobs.

Prepare for some hate from Ponderin.      >:(

snoblind

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on December 04, 2015, 12:56:16 pm
Prepare for some hate from Ponderin.      >:(

He's currently undecided on whether to hate or not.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hogwild

Quote from: LLPL on December 03, 2015, 07:30:09 pm
I am becoming more aware of how spoiled we have become in the SEC. I am seeing these no-name hires of Illinois,

"It's not ideal but for now, I don't think it'll put a dagger in the heart of the program."

When your AD say that about the new coaching hire, that shows they just don't give a crap about football

hoggusamoungus

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

ur

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 04, 2015, 01:24:44 pm
Who goes to ECU?

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/50756/50756/
Prob Lincoln Riley if he doesn't get the sc job. I'm thinking that is why they fired McNeil. Surely they won't go back to Skip.

Quote from: ur on December 04, 2015, 02:15:30 pm
Prob Lincoln Riley if he doesn't get the sc job. I'm thinking that is why they fired McNeil. Surely they won't go back to Skip.
Riley's mentor is McNeil. I doubt he takes the job his mentor just got fired from.

SpaCityHawg

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: SpaCityHawg on December 04, 2015, 05:22:20 pm
Make that 4. Bronco Mendenhall to UVA.

I always thought he'd be perfect with Denver in the NFL.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Dwight_K_Shrute

ACC doing much better than the SEC in coaching hires so far.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawghiggs

I want to see RichRod as South Carolinas new coach.