Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Win at all costs program

Started by hawgon, November 16, 2017, 01:58:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

The more I think about it, the more I figure that Long's statement about not being that kind of program a few months ago was specifically aimed at those people who were already, even then, putting pressure on him and making noise about bringing back Malzahn.

We all know tha Auburn has been that sort of program in the past and might still be for all I know.  I'm not saying Malzahn is dirty but I figure that Long thought anyone at that program was and I suspect that Bert had done plenty of whining about recruiting practices.

I figure that statement was a shot at the people already agitating behind the scenes for Gus. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on November 16, 2017, 01:58:47 pm
I'm not saying Malzahn is dirty

Malzahn is dirty.

I'll say it lol.

KlubhouseKonnected

I will say it. Malzahn is dirty. He has been and must be. Dirty
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

corpitguy

May also be some folks who didn't agree with Petrino's firing at the time. Still probably some who don't.

Not saying they're right, just that rich people on boards are like the rest of us. They have differing opinions. They aren't necessarily THAT much more informed than the average FM radio talk show host. Maybe even less so, if they have businesses to run.

Poker_hog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on November 16, 2017, 02:01:17 pm

That was obvious when he leveraged his high school players into the offensive coordinator gig.  Don't care as long as he wins.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Poker_hog on November 16, 2017, 02:03:20 pm
That was obvious when he leveraged his high school players into the offensive coordinator gig.  Don't care as long as he wins.

Once instance amongst many

phadedhawg

A huge portion of the fanbase was thrilled with Petrino and he had baggage long before he wrecked his career. 

People will be fine with Arkansas cheating here and there as long as the punishments aren't too severe.  If we win a conference title and years later serve a few post season bans I think the majority of fans would be a okay with that. 

Gus would be a perfect fit for that crowd. 

I don't really care either way anymore. 

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 16, 2017, 02:06:29 pm
A huge portion of the fanbase was thrilled with Petrino and he had baggage long before he wrecked his career. 

People will be fine with Arkansas cheating here and there as long as the punishments aren't too severe.  If we win a conference title and years later serve a few post season bans I think the majority of fans would be a okay with that. 

Gus would be a perfect fit for that crowd. 

I don't really care either way anymore. 

We may be able to ask an Ole Miss fan in a year or two how they feel about that kind of bargain on the back end.

Of course, I will always consider the highest accomplishment of Bret's time at Arkansas to be the fact that his teams prevented all of Ole Miss's cheating to fail in yielding any championship hardware or appearances.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 02:08:30 pm
It's systemic at AU.

It's about to be systemic here, too. Look around here. People are literally begging us to get dirty.

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 16, 2017, 02:12:03 pm
It's about to be systemic here, too. Look around here. People are literally begging us to get dirty.

We're going to suck at it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorbackers

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 02:12:22 pm

Just like Ole Miss.

We don't have the traditions in place for it. We're going to have to go hire the head bagman from Auburn so we can learn how to hide transactions better.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 02:12:22 pm

Lol, no doubt. I can already see posters on here bragging about having given x amount to assist on x players recruit and other posters seriously responding "pics or it didn't happen"

And then getting the pics

Bubba's Bruisers

It won't be systematic here, because unlike AU, we won't have everyone within the system willing to buy into being dirty.  It'll be some faction that will run unchecked.  That's why we'll suck at it.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jkstock04

Malzahn is the worst kind of dirty lol. Hides behind the cloak of goodliness with no telling wth is going on. Just look back at the cam newton deal and the pinnacle preps stuff.

The fact that there are people in power ready to bring him here tells me there are some people calling the shots that actually do have balls and do want to win. Renews my hope in the football program. He's not my first choice guy but I won't complain if we land him.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

DoctorSusscrofa

Cheating and all sorts of bad behavior is alright with many fans. As much as I hate it, we may have to cheat, get caught, and pay heavily for it before our fans will learn.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Knot2brite

Quote from: Poker_hog on November 16, 2017, 02:03:20 pm
He is not the first high school coach to do that any many of them have turned out to be great coaches....the problem is that isn't the worst thing he has done by a long shot....leveraging kids is child's play....but the rocket scientist that are the base of the razorback fan base doesn't care about those things all they want is wins and when we get caught...it will be ok because everyone does it and for a minute the Hogs made other people jealous....no matter that slime balls took over and did bad things...we might have won a few games that made us look good athletically ....doing things the right way and winning doesn't come easy and fulfill the immediate gratification that people are looking for
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Wildhog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 16, 2017, 02:21:26 pm
Cheating and all sorts of bad behavior is alright with many fans. As much as I hate it, we may have to cheat, get caught, and pay heavily for it before our fans will learn.

Do I get to go to the Sugar Bowl again?
1909/1964/1965/1977

phadedhawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 16, 2017, 02:16:35 pm
Malzahn is the worst kind of dirty lol. Hides behind the cloak of goodliness with no telling wth is going on. Just look back at the cam newton deal and the pinnacle preps stuff.

The fact that there are people in power ready to bring him here tells me there are some people calling the shots that actually do have balls and do want to win. Renews my hope in the football program. He's not my first choice guy but I won't complain if we land him.

I'm concerned about the meaning of firing Jeff Long but integrity only gets you so far and our fan base has suffered long enough. 

Gus seems a bit of an overcorrection for Bielema's approach to the game but whatever....it's not down to me so I try to worry too much about it.

Looking forward to seeing Mike Anderson's hogs take on FSU tomorrow night!

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 02:22:13 pm

That's all that matters isn't it?
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

phadedhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on November 16, 2017, 02:22:13 pm

Nobody is stopping you...you can go today if you like :)

Wildhog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 16, 2017, 02:23:03 pm
That's all that matters isn't it?

To me it is.  I still remember the Hog Call echoing throughout the French Quarter.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DoctorSusscrofa

Let's teach another generation of hog fans that being a good person is less important than a really good drunk weekend.

Wildhog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 16, 2017, 02:28:00 pm
Let's teach another generation of hog fans that being a good person is less important than a really good drunk weekend.

And winning a lot of games. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorbackers

You ever had a REEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY good drunk weekend in New Orleans?

Hawghiggs

Let’s teach another generation of hog fans that being a good person is less important than a really good drunk weekend.

We could do it the North Carolina way and teach them nothing.

Many of you same clean and innocent and pure as the driven snow liars are just fine with us being in a conference where if you don't push the envelope, you don't stand a chance.  Run the place sweaky clean and thats OK by me, but lets get in a conference where they all do that instead of gladly sticking out our hand and accepting the money that comes from the cheating, lying bastards who do win in this conference.  Some of you folks are OK with the cheating putting new buildings and stadium add ons at our University but don't want to get your hands dirty doing it other than gladly grabbing up the money others earn by doing it.  Think about that. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 12247 on November 16, 2017, 02:37:23 pm
Many of you same clean and innocent and pure as the driven snow liars are just fine with us being in a conference where if you don't push the envelope, you don't stand a chance.  Run the place sweaky clean and thats OK by me, but lets get in a conference where they all do that instead of gladly sticking out our hand and accepting the money that comes from the cheating, lying bastards who do win in this conference.  Some of you folks are OK with the cheating putting new buildings and stadium add ons at our University but don't want to get your hands dirty doing it other than gladly grabbing up the money others earn by doing it.  Think about that. 

You are officially Wildhog's hero!!!!!!!!!

Good stuff!!
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

DeltaBoy

Bottom Line: Longs first Hire won too much and his last too little so he is Long GONE.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Malvin

Quote from: hawgon on November 16, 2017, 01:58:47 pm
The more I think about it, the more I figure that Long's statement about not being that kind of program a few months ago was specifically aimed at those people who were already, even then, putting pressure on him and making noise about bringing back Malzahn.

We all know tha Auburn has been that sort of program in the past and might still be for all I know.  I'm not saying Malzahn is dirty but I figure that Long thought anyone at that program was and I suspect that Bert had done plenty of whining about recruiting practices.

I figure that statement was a shot at the people already agitating behind the scenes for Gus.

I don't think so, I think he was using what is happening at Ole Miss to justify his poor performance and the very poor performance on the field.  He was feeling pressure because of how bad we suck and was trying to deflect fans and have them focus on how clean we are.

In my opinion, when he made that statement it was the nail in the coffin.  Everybody knows that in football everybody cheats to some point, and if you aren't cheating then there is no way, no way you will ever win anything.  It's part of the game, it's gamesmanship in a way.  Now that doesn't mean you go full speed stupid like ole miss did, but it does mean that if you see a corner that can be cut and the risk is low than do it.  That's the only way you will win in the SEC, and if you aren't prepared to do that then you have no business being in this league or in his position. 

Long should probably go to a Ivy League school where his 'vision' is more fitting.

STLhawg

... a really good drunk weekend.
Sounds like this part is talking about some of Bret' s escapade.

Libertarian Hog

I do not know of a single person who supports a "Win at all costs program".  I think it is highly irresponsible to Hawgon to make this insulting, slanderous comment without providing specific evidence that there is anyone who supports this.  It shows a lack of respect for honesty and integrity.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God, for if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jeffersxon

hawgon

Quote from: Libertarian Hog on November 16, 2017, 03:42:59 pm
I do not know of a single person who supports a "Win at all costs program".  I think it is highly irresponsible to Hawgon to make this insulting, slanderous comment without providing specific evidence that there is anyone who supports this.  It shows a lack of respect for honesty and integrity.

Are you retarded?  Seriously.  Where did even imply that anyone wanted that?  I said that that was Jeff Long's perception of Malzahn and Auburn.

hog911

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 16, 2017, 01:59:46 pm
Malzahn is dirty.

I'll say it lol.
No sir, Jeff Long was dirty! It will all come out wait and see!

lilredheadedlady

Does Arkansas even have any bagmen anymore?
I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

jgphillips3

Quote from: lilredheadedlady on November 16, 2017, 10:52:32 pm
Does Arkansas even have any bagmen anymore?

Just the ones that bring Tito's in brown sacks to Bret.

lilredheadedlady

Funny.  I'm pretty sure Long ran all the bagmen off.

ShadowTheHedgehog

I don't want a win at all cost program. I love football but the University is bigger than that, and it's reputation matters more.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 16, 2017, 02:44:43 pm
Bottom Line: Longs first Hire won too much and his last too little so he is Long GONE.

LOL

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Its not just limited to football. Bruce Pearl is being investigated for pay for play. He is currently not cooperating. Thats a really bad sign, I expect him out before SEC play begins
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hogginbama

Quote from: Knot2brite on November 16, 2017, 02:21:47 pm
He is not the first high school coach to do that any many of them have turned out to be great coaches....the problem is that isn't the worst thing he has done by a long shot....leveraging kids is child's play....but the rocket scientist that are the base of the razorback fan base doesn't care about those things all they want is wins and when we get caught...it will be ok because everyone does it and for a minute the Hogs made other people jealous....no matter that slime balls took over and did bad things...we might have won a few games that made us look good athletically ....doing things the right way and winning doesn't come easy and fulfill the immediate gratification that people are looking for

That's where I have to disagree with you. If the next administration and coaches bring in the cheating to win, the attitude will be different. Those on the board who want to be a "win any way you can" program, will then start screaming to fire the bums because they have destroyed our program. These are the same folks that would complain about making a million a year because the job was too hard. The internet has been a good thing for many, but a disaster for those that live in the trailer parks. It allows them to come out, be heard and prove to the world that brothers and sisters really do marry each other in Arkansas.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

bondhue

I really liked it tonight when I read in a link provided on Hogville that Long had incentives in his contract that could add a million + to his annual salary.   One was tied to APR rate.  Now I now why he went around talking about that so much.  He obviously went around talking about what would earn him $.    And integrity. 

I'm all in favor of integrity.  It is the cornerstone of my life.  I'm all in favor of graduating players.  I taught college for 25+ years.  I just never thought of ways to make $ off of APR and integrity.  And it's too bad  some of those incentive $ in his contract weren't based on winning.  None were.  Maybe he would have been more interested in winning.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 16, 2017, 01:59:46 pm
Malzahn is dirty.

I'll say it lol.

Yet, if the talk was about Saban being brought to Arkansas there would be a round the clock party for months on end. Of course we all know that Alabama runs a clean program.
Go Hogs Go!

ToddW

Absolutely.  I still do not like how all of that went down the season he was OC.  Especially with the Springdale five.
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

lilredheadedlady

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 17, 2017, 05:19:44 am
Yet, if the talk was about Saban being brought to Arkansas there would be a round the clock party for months on end. Of course we all know that Alabama runs a clean program.

I think with the reputation Bama has they don't have to pay players.  Ya know?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lilredheadedlady on November 17, 2017, 06:06:20 am
I think with the reputation Bama has they don't have to pay players.  Ya know?

Respectfully, because of who they are and the position they have attained, they just don't have to do it "as much" as they used to have to do.
Go Hogs Go!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 16, 2017, 02:32:40 pm
You ever had a REEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY good drunk weekend in New Orleans?
somewhere there's a picture of me passed out on Bourbon Street while a street sweeper blows crap all over me, so yes... Yes I have.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.