Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Agree with Long Firing? (Poll Similar to Bo)

Started by brenthog, November 15, 2017, 04:24:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Decision to Fire Long?

Yes
No

brenthog

Bo had a similar poll that was close to 50/50. I was curious what Hogville thought.

East Clintwood

I've wanted him gone pretty much ever since he got here.

But most people still aren't sure how to feel because we don't yet know the specifics of why he was let go.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

phadedhawg

I voted no but that's only because of what I know.  If it comes out that Jeff Long did refuse to fire Bielema then I'd change answer to yes. 

To me it made sense to make a coaching change at the end of the year and thats what I anticipated.

JOKERHOG

Voted yes but this better be the first of 2 firings!
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Uncommon

It all depends on what Bielema's buyout ACTUALLY is for me.  If it's near 6 million as some have reported, then I'd say no.  I think Long should've gotten one final chance to hire the right football coach.  If it's near the 12 or 15 million mark, then yes he should be fired.

BorderPatrol

phadedhawg

Quote from: JOKERHOG on November 15, 2017, 04:49:45 pm
Voted yes but this better be the first of 2 firings!

I am a bit bummed that Jeff Long was laid low by Bielema's lack of wins but it is what it is.  However, if Bielema is still the coach next year I will be done.  It is non negotiable  He HAS to go

sickboy

It really depends. If it's based solely on the football program's failures... don't like the firing. If the rumors are true that there are other issues, I'm totally fine with that. But if the other rumors were true, you would expect a firing with cause. Unless it was solely because he refused to fire Bielema. If that was the case, I'm fine with the firing of Long. Either way, I don't like the timing of it. I would have rather had Long be urged to take a job somewhere else and let him leave quietly than drag our program through the bad press of firing Long like this.

Cinco de Hogo

Of course, an athletic directors hardest job is to hire and fire coaches and Long sucked at that job.  Everything else he does a lot of people could do.

1highhog

I voted No, if he was fired because he sided with keeping BB, then I would have voted yes, but despite what many knuckle draggers think, Jeff Long has done a great job at the UofA, he will be hard to replace, heed my words.

brenthog

jgphillips3

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

NuttinItUp

brenthog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 15, 2017, 07:27:57 pm
Was Bo for it or against it?

He didn't say. His poll we almost 50/50. Hogville is saying 70/30 so far.

moses_007

I bought a like new used SUV a couple weeks ago from Gwatney in Sherwood.  I found out the owner's name from the title and called her.  We hadn't talked 5 minutes until the state of the Razorbacks football program came up.  She said emphatically that the program will never change until Jeff Long is gone first.  This lady was absolutely right.

jgphillips3

Quote from: brenthog on November 15, 2017, 07:30:05 pm
He didn't say. His pole we almost 50/50. Hogville is saying 70/30 so far.

His...pole?

brenthog

Hou-Hog

Quote from: East Clintwood on November 15, 2017, 04:48:01 pm

But most people still aren't sure how to feel because we don't yet know the specifics of why he was let go.
It seems to me that action was taken out of the blue, which means that something else must be going on...if I understood the real driver, it would be much easier to determine if it was a good move or not.

hog of steele

I say no but it's not firm. Did he dig in on CBB? Did he have something we don't know about? Is he shopping his name around? I don't have the details. But I liked what I know.

Cure

Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Svrdhd

There needs to be more substance revealed in making a case to relieve Long. If this was a couple of powerbrokers getting their panties in a wad, that reflects poorly on the leadership prognosis for the GOBN.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Nashville Fan

Long told CBB that he had six years when he was hired and was going to honor that gentleman's agreement. Voted yes but respect him.
Pittman or Bust!

jgphillips3

Quote from: Nashville Fan on November 15, 2017, 09:00:07 pm
Long told CBB that he had six years when he was hired and was going to honor that gentleman's agreement. Voted yes but respect him.

Sure would have been nice if CBB honored his side of the bargain by actually being on the cusp of something at this point.

PorkSoda

"Jeff has led our department with character and integrity and helped move us forward in so many ways.  However, over the past year, Jeff has lost the support of many of our fans, alumni, key supporters, and members of the university leadership, support that I believe is critical in our pursuit of excellence"

I think this sums up the decision making process here
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkRinds

Quote from: 1highhog on November 15, 2017, 05:50:59 pm
I voted No, if he was fired because he sided with keeping BB, then I would have voted yes, but despite what many knuckle draggers think, Jeff Long has done a great job at the UofA, he will be hard to replace, heed my words.

I agree.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hou-Hog on November 15, 2017, 08:12:46 pm
It seems to me that action was taken out of the blue, which means that something else must be going on...if I understood the real driver, it would be much easier to determine if it was a good move or not.

Out of the blue? Fans have been demanding it for almost a year.

Pork Twain

Must be more to it.  Other than football, I thought the other programs were doing pretty well.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

pigz

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 15, 2017, 04:48:11 pm
I voted no but that's only because of what I know.  If it comes out that Jeff Long did refuse to fire Bielema then I'd change answer to yes. 

To me it made sense to make a coaching change at the end of the year and thats what I anticipated.

This
You guys have a good time frig dancing

Bacons Rebellion

Until we know the real reasons he was fired, I can't really say if it was the right thing to do or not.

redeye

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 15, 2017, 05:48:08 pm
Of course, an athletic directors hardest job is to hire and fire coaches and Long sucked at that job.  Everything else he does a lot of people could do.

This is where I disagree.  Even if you didn't like the Petrino or Bielema hires, they were still big-name hires that most fans only dream about.  Petrino's demise wasn't JL's fault and Bielema turned out far worse than most anyone would have imagined, after the success he'd had at Wisconsin.  JLS was a temp hire and we don't know that JL had better options.

Mike Anderson was essentially forced on JL by fans, so it's ironic when some fans blame him for MA.

The thing is that JL has proven he can hire coaches that outsiders don't think we can get and he did it in consecutive hires.  That's a huge advantage that I think we'll sorely miss.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 15, 2017, 09:09:37 pm
Out of the blue? Fans have been demanding it for almost a year.
And then there's the BOT meeting that went several hours over schedule last week or whenever. They sure weren't sharing baby photos for four hours in there...

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Uncommon on November 15, 2017, 04:50:15 pm
It all depends on what Bielema's buyout ACTUALLY is for me.  If it's near 6 million as some have reported, then I'd say no.  I think Long should've gotten one final chance to hire the right football coach.  If it's near the 12 or 15 million mark, then yes he should be fired.

I've been a JL naysayer from almost the beginning.
Running around trying to sniff up Jim Grobe and then Terry Bowden's skirts while ignoring BP to the point of JJ having to get involved, convinced me right off that this wasn't a football guy.
Certainly couldn't see a talented coach when it bit him.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: sickboy on November 15, 2017, 05:19:06 pm
It really depends. If it's based solely on the football program's failures... don't like the firing. If the rumors are true that there are other issues, I'm totally fine with that. But if the other rumors were true, you would expect a firing with cause. Unless it was solely because he refused to fire Bielema. If that was the case, I'm fine with the firing of Long. Either way, I don't like the timing of it. I would have rather had Long be urged to take a job somewhere else and let him leave quietly than drag our program through the bad press of firing Long like this.

Not being argumentative, but why is it always dragging ourselves through bad press while it's proactive for other programs?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: redeye on November 15, 2017, 09:53:22 pm
This is where I disagree.  Even if you didn't like the Petrino or Bielema hires, they were still big-name hires that most fans only dream about.  Petrino's demise wasn't JL's fault and Bielema turned out far worse than most anyone would have imagined, after the success he'd had at Wisconsin.  JLS was a temp hire and we don't know that JL had better options.

Mike Anderson was essentially forced on JL by fans, so it's ironic when some fans blame him for MA.

The thing is that JL has proven he can hire coaches that outsiders don't think we can get and he did it in consecutive hires.  That's a huge advantage that I think we'll sorely miss.

Yes we have a basic disagreement, but I've been through it so many times I'm tired of talking(typing).

hoglady

Most of the talking heads on the radio said that Long still believed in Bielema and wanted to give him another year. Now, whether he actually refused to fire him - that was never said.
Just that Long wanted to give him his 6th year.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Wildhog

I'm pretty indifferent to it.  Just want to get the next football hire right.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

_Hamlet_

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 15, 2017, 07:27:57 pm
Was Bo for it or against it?

Who cares. Whatever he wants to benefit CBB he is for.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

NoogaHog

Quote from: sickboy on November 15, 2017, 05:19:06 pm

This is the boat I'm ridin' on, too.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

hog_stu

If the next AD can fix the in game experience, then yes. Otherwise no.