Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morris and our recruiting..

Started by NuttinItUp, December 07, 2017, 08:23:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

We are currently ranked 74th (!!!) on 247's recruiting rankings, right behind Northern Illinois.

What kind of a recruiting ranking will Morris get us up to?

Since the early signing period was introduced this year: Will we know more earlier than most years?

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Note: Interestingly, Alabama is "way" down at #10 and Texas is surprisingly up at #2 even though they have been a dumpster fire for several years.

Atlhogfan1

Depends on how many we sign. 

Lots of the top players uncommitted. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ur

He needs to sign 25 and trim the fat.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: ur on December 07, 2017, 08:35:35 pm
He needs to sign 25 and trim the fat.

Can we sign 25 and trim the fat on hogville?

I have a few candidates in mind who could get trimmed.

Uncommon

Remember fellas.  With the low amount of scholarships we are offering due to retention of players, this is not going to be a rankings buster class.  Now next year will be a more normal sized class so we can get a better judgement of his recruiting prowess.  We'll see how many he keeps but I don't think we'll be adding too many more to the class.  I think a class of only 15 players is not out of the realm of possibility.  Especially, since Ty Clary and Hayden Henry are now on scholarship.

Smashmouth2004

I watched the video of his first team meeting with the squad. I immediately noticed him saying, put your feet on the floor and your drinks up! He said he had no time for slackers so I think some of the players who were use to soft daddy ball coaching really were in shock. This is what this team needs, someone that is serious about winning and holding players and coaches accountable.

Hogindasticks

Tells me that Coach B knew he was on the way out.

ur

Quote from: Uncommon on December 07, 2017, 08:41:18 pm
Remember fellas.  With the low amount of scholarships we are offering due to retention of players, this is not going to be a rankings buster class.  Now next year will be a more normal sized class so we can get a better judgement of his recruiting prowess.  We'll see how many he keeps but I don't think we'll be adding too many more to the class.  I think a class of only 15 players is not out of the realm of possibility.  Especially, since Ty Clary and Hayden Henry are now on scholarship.
only 15 players is like being on ncaa probation for a year.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 07, 2017, 08:46:47 pm
Tells me that Coach B knew he was on the way out.

No.  Numbers and retention.  It was part of the plan which actually "worked".  We need to retain players but they need to be developed and enough numbers at each position. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogboarder

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on December 07, 2017, 08:45:23 pm
I watched the video of his first team meeting with the squad. I immediately noticed him saying, put your feet on the floor and your drinks up! He said he had no time for slackers so I think some of the players who were use to soft daddy ball coaching really were in shock. This is what this team needs, someone that is serious about winning and holding players and coaches accountable.
Yep. Establishing leadership right out of the gate.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ur on December 07, 2017, 08:49:13 pm

Top programs have done this for years.  Difference is their rosters are full of developed talent.  You can go back and look at a program like FSU at their peak and you would see small classes like this.  But for us, a season like 2021 may end up being a rebuild. 

Uncommon

Quote from: ur on December 07, 2017, 08:49:13 pm
Have counted 75 players that are on scholarship currently.  You usually want to sign 5 more than the number that gets you to 85.  So for us, that's 10+5 = 15 right now.  Of course, if we receive word between semesters of some transferring or departing the program for whatever reason, the number will go up.

1.   Kirby Adcock
2.   McTelvin Agim
3.   Maleek Barkley
4.   Jarrod Barnes
5.   Jamario Bell
6.   Kofi Boateng
7.   Montaric Brown
8.   Chevin Calloway
9.   Austin Cantrell
10.   Austin Capps
11.   Ty Clary
12.   Shane Clenin
13.   Jared Cornelius
14.   Kamren Curl
15.   Jordon Curtis
16.   Nate Dalton
17.   Deon Edwards
18.   Kyrei Fisher
19.   Hjalte Froholdt
20.   Johnny Gibson
21.   Will Gragg
22.   Dre Greenlaw
23.   Briston Guidry
24.   Grayson Gunter
25.   Jake Hall
26.   TJ Hammonds
27.   De'Jon Harris
28.   Chase Hayden
29.   Dylan Hays
30.   Cole Hedlund
31.   Korey Hernandez
32.   Jake Heinrich
33.   Hayden Henry
34.   Daulton Hyatt
35.   Colton Jackson
36.   Kendrick Jackson
37.   Koilan Jackson
38.   Alexy Jean-Baptiste
39.   Blake Johnson
40.   Hayden Johnson
41.   Jordan Jones
42.   Cole Kelley
43.   Jack Kraus
44.   Giovanni LaFrance
45.   Deion Malone
46.   Jonathan Marshall
47.   Brandon Martin
48.   Jarques McClellion
49.   Jalen Merrick
50.   Reid Miller
51.   Derrick Munson
52.   Jonathan Nance
53.   Cheyenne O'Grady
54.   Jeremy Patton
55.   Josh Paul
56.   La'Michael Pettway
57.   David Porter
58.   Ryan Pulley
59.   Santos Ramirez
60.   Randy Ramsey
61.   Gabe Richardson
62.   Zach Rogers
63.   Micahh Smith
64.   TJ Smith
65.   Deon Stewart
66.   Ty Storey
67.   Michael Taylor II
68.   Britto Tutt
69.   Dalton Wagner
70.   Dee Walker
71.   Brian Wallace
72.   De'Vion Warren
73.   Armon Watts
74.   Devwah Whaley
75.   Maleek Williams

jvanhorn

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 07, 2017, 08:23:54 pm
We are currently ranked 74th (!!!) on 247's recruiting rankings, right behind Northern Illinois.

What kind of a recruiting ranking will Morris get us up to?

Since the early signing period was introduced this year: Will we know more earlier than most years?

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Note: Interestingly, Alabama is "way" down at #10 and Texas is surprisingly up at #2 even though they have been a dumpster fire for several years.

Interesting to note that OU and Mississippi State don't appear to have missed a beat with new coaches.

NuttinItUp

Up a few spots to 59th now. Making a little progress..

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Uncommon on December 07, 2017, 08:41:18 pm

Almost makes me think rankings need to be adjusted based on the number of offers extended.

Sort of a gross ranking and a per capita ranking.

NoogaHog

I suspect that this year we may end up in the high 30's to low 40's once all the hay is in the barn. Which wouldn't be that bad of a class given our numbers and proximity of the early signing period. I would expect that next year we should see classes at least at our typical 24-28 or better or I will start to be very concerned about CCM's recruiting.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

ricepig

Quote from: Uncommon on December 07, 2017, 08:53:43 pm
Have counted 75 players that are on scholarship currently.  You usually want to sign 5 more than the number that gets you to 85.  So for us, that's 10+5 = 15 right now.  Of course, if we receive word between semesters of some transferring or departing the program for whatever reason, the number will go up.

1.   Kirby Adcock
2.   McTelvin Agim
3.   Maleek Barkley
4.   Jarrod Barnes
5.   Jamario Bell
6.   Kofi Boateng
7.   Montaric Brown
8.   Chevin Calloway
9.   Austin Cantrell
10.   Austin Capps
11.   Ty Clary
12.   Shane Clenin
13.   Jared Cornelius
14.   Kamren Curl
15.   Jordon Curtis
16.   Nate Dalton
17.   Deon Edwards
18.   Kyrei Fisher
19.   Hjalte Froholdt
20.   Johnny Gibson
21.   Will Gragg
22.   Dre Greenlaw
23.   Briston Guidry
24.   Grayson Gunter
25.   Jake Hall
26.   TJ Hammonds
27.   De'Jon Harris
28.   Chase Hayden
29.   Dylan Hays
30.   Cole Hedlund
31.   Korey Hernandez
32.   Jake Heinrich
33.   Hayden Henry
34.   Daulton Hyatt
35.   Colton Jackson
36.   Kendrick Jackson
37.   Koilan Jackson
38.   Alexy Jean-Baptiste
39.   Blake Johnson
40.   Hayden Johnson
41.   Jordan Jones
42.   Cole Kelley
43.   Jack Kraus
44.   Giovanni LaFrance
45.   Deion Malone
46.   Jonathan Marshall
47.   Brandon Martin
48.   Jarques McClellion
49.   Jalen Merrick
50.   Reid Miller
51.   Derrick Munson
52.   Jonathan Nance
53.   Cheyenne O'Grady
54.   Jeremy Patton
55.   Josh Paul
56.   La'Michael Pettway
57.   David Porter
58.   Ryan Pulley
59.   Santos Ramirez
60.   Randy Ramsey
61.   Gabe Richardson
62.   Zach Rogers
63.   Micahh Smith
64.   TJ Smith
65.   Deon Stewart
66.   Ty Storey
67.   Michael Taylor II
68.   Britto Tutt
69.   Dalton Wagner
70.   Dee Walker
71.   Brian Wallace
72.   De'Vion Warren
73.   Armon Watts
74.   Devwah Whaley
75.   Maleek Williams
Hedlund is going to graduate early and transfer.

Hugo Bezdek

I'll be surprised if we don't sign 23 (since Clary and Henry were blueshirts). I suspect we'll see enough transfers out to make that happen. It's rare that we don't have enough attrition to sign a full class.

bkjbearcat

By year three Hogs get a top 20 class. 17-20 range. That's if CCM capitalizes on a generous schedule. 
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Snout team

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 08:50:38 pm
No.  Numbers and retention.  It was part of the plan which actually "worked".  We need to retain players but they need to be developed and enough numbers at each position.

Here lies the problem.  We got the retention thing right.  We appear to have missed on the development part.  Missing on the development part and getting the retention right leads to a small class.  Those things together leads to the equivalent of being on NCAA probation.

I predict he signes between 20-23.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

jcul28

For 12 commits, that seems like a pretty good spot. Teams like OU, Miss St. and others that may have been mentioned or looked at have upwards of 20. If you average out the numbers, we are recruiting some pretty comparable ball players.

farmhawg

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 07, 2017, 08:37:30 pm
Can we sign 25 and trim the fat on hogville?

I have a few candidates in mind who could get trimmed.
Can I have a little taken off around the middle? Thanks
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I'm expecting to sign around 20.  I can find 5 that should be processed out just in the secondary.  There's some dead weight at LB & WR too.

Gotta believe they'll be 5 or 6 asked to move on after spring ball.

I actually would prefer it. Sign as many as you think could contribute early, let the squad know the 5 that slack the most and dont fully buy in or have bad attitudes are gonna be cut.  Motivation baby!
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

brenthog

I think the average means more. How do we stack up when we just go off of average?

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: brenthog on December 12, 2017, 12:16:36 pm
I think the average means more. How do we stack up when we just go off of average?
Quote from: jcul28 on December 12, 2017, 11:55:30 am
For 12 commits, that seems like a pretty good spot. Teams like OU, Miss St. and others that may have been mentioned or looked at have upwards of 20. If you average out the numbers, we are recruiting some pretty comparable ball players.
yep. our 86.4 average recruit rating is a top 15-25 type average, we just only have 12 recruits. Interesting thing is that all the guys we are in on right now would bring that average up. The twins and bush and Bohannon are all rated higher than 86.

Va tech is 17th with an 87 average and 23 recruits , for instance.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Adam Stokes

Quote from: brenthog on December 12, 2017, 12:16:36 pm

My count has us at #29. I agree that this stat is what we should be looking for with this class since we may very well undersign.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on December 12, 2017, 12:15:21 pm
I'm expecting to sign around 20.  I can find 5 that should be processed out just in the secondary.  There's some dead weight at LB & WR too.

Gotta believe they'll be 5 or 6 asked to move on after spring ball.

I actually would prefer it. Sign as many as you think could contribute early, let the squad know the 5 that slack the most and dont fully buy in or have bad attitudes are gonna be cut.  Motivation baby!
Well in reviewing your rant about the Allen's yesterday at least your angst will have been addressed by the fact that Austin no longer has any further eligibility remaining. Now if only Morris does something about Bobby then your misery will have relieved (for the moment).