Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 04:12:37 pm

Afghanistan Info

Started by Pork Twain, July 03, 2017, 06:50:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

I am about to head to BAF for a few weeks and then on to KAF for the rest of a 1 yr trip conducting biometrics.  Any advice from any of you that might have been there?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

YankHog

BAF has a few good chow halls, it's small with everything packed on Disney(the main street) basically. Make sure you have a good set of ear plugs or phones unless you're one of those guys who can sleep through anything as everything is built around the airfield and the aircraft busy time is at night.  They have the usual Haji CD's you can buy there on base, a few gyms but usually busy, an mwr movie place so no lack of entertainment.  They also had a Burger king truck and a pizza place, I assume those are still there....

Ragnar Hogbrok

Haven't been to BAF since 2010 and KAF since 2013.  Both places have everything you'll need.  In 2013, the powers that be were consolidating everything for the "retrograde" that never happened.  Who knows what it's like now?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Pork Twain

Thanks for the info.

I will start out doing biometrics on BAF and getting some OJT and then head off to KAF to finish it out.  I am actually looking forward to deploying again and contributing.  This biometrics gig is pretty cool.

Now to just get through all of these CBTs the Army has me doing
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 03, 2017, 06:50:31 am
I am about to head to BAF for a few weeks and then on to KAF for the rest of a 1 yr trip conducting biometrics.  Any advice from any of you that might have been there?

Stay away from the ECPs at Bagram. Best to just stay inyour place of business/mess hall/quarters.

Kandahar doesn't resemble what it was when I was there for the invasion thru 2003.
This is my non-signature signature.

AFBack

Never take your eyes off the Afghans. I helped capture 2 insurgents wearing AAF uniforms and disarmed 2 that were concealed carrying.

Nine of my friends were murdered by an AAF Colonel that they thought was a friend and ally.

I bought and wore body armor under my uniform because I worked in such close proximity to Afghans on a day to day basis and wanted a second chance if one of them went rogue. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: AFBack on July 07, 2017, 08:08:52 pm
Never take your eyes off the Afghans.

Truer words have never been spoken.

We were paired with the 6th KANDAK. The shitheads were worthless and hated us. I almost smoked a couple of them myself for multiple reasons. Glad they finally broke them up.

Pork Twain

Am at the CRC at Fort Bliss right now and it is a mess.

Back to Afghanistan...  My unit both here and there are the ones that vet and research 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th level contacts between everyone that is granted base access and wishes to enter the US.  Every time we notify a unit of the ** people they have working with them with even shittier contacts, they are stunned.  You cannot trust anyone today that wanted to kill you yesterday.  No matter how nice we are, we will always be an invader to them and the rest of the Middle East

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 11, 2017, 08:08:19 pm
Am at the CRC at Fort Bliss right now and it is a mess.

Back to Afghanistan...  My unit both here and there are the ones that vet and research 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th level contacts between everyone that is granted base access and wishes to enter the US.  Every time we notify a unit of the ** people they have working with them with even shittier contacts, they are stunned.  You cannot trust anyone today that wanted to kill you yesterday.  No matter how nice we are, we will always be an invader to them and the rest of the Middle East

I was in charge of sending Fort Polk personnel to CRC if they required it.

It has been a disaster for a long time, but a necessary one.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 11, 2017, 09:37:09 pm
I was in charge of sending Fort Polk personnel to CRC if they required it.

It has been a disaster for a long time, but a necessary one.
After going through it and having deployed six times before, I can honestly say this place is a complete waste and just adds more hurdles and red-tape to the process and another entity making money off of our Middle East efforts.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 14, 2017, 09:52:18 am
After going through it and having deployed six times before, I can honestly say this place is a complete waste and just adds more hurdles and red-tape to the process and another entity making money off of our Middle East efforts.

We stopped sending people in 2015. We did everything here instead. Was just easier. Don't know if they are still doing that now or not. I've been out of that game since December '15.

Pork Twain

I just spent two weeks at the CRC, man what a heap of crap that process is.  Many there do not know what the hell they are doing and there is no recourse if they make a mistake.  Take me for instance, I set in line for four hours to had my audiology exam, that was completed in 25 minutes in Charlottesville, then another three hours wait to have my records screened.  I was told to leave and come back next week because I only had two adult MMR shots, even though that is exactly what CENTCOM Mod 13, and all medical providers, requires for adults.  I went back through the process a week later and was finished in two hours.  There were about 50 people from week one that had similar stories, that cleared the next week.  That is costing someone a lot of money but not Ft Bliss.

Found out I am going to be the primary TAAC-Capital BEI POC, at Resolute Support, also supporting the US Embassy.  Sounds like it will be very interesting

Shocktheman

Enjoyed reading yalls thoughts on CRC.  Ft Benning or Bliss, its all the same.  Just a miserable process full of disrespect.  The CRC purpose. . . to get your ready for waiting unnecessarily long periods of time for no good reason at all!

Just went through there and back to Afghannyland.  Report date was 29 Dec, and Im still waiting!  Waiting for a flight outta BAF to get to my unit.