Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would Bielema have gone for 2 in OT

Started by Piggie Smalls, September 28, 2017, 09:05:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggie Smalls

I haven't seen the question brought up anywhere- and it doesn't really matter, obviously- but I am curious as to what CBB would've done if they had scored the TD in OT against the Aggies, kick the XP and keep playing or go for 2 and the win? The only reason I'm remotely curious is because knowing the answer would go a long way toward answering the question if he's the right man for the job. If he would've gone for it I'd still have some hope for him (not much though). I honestly believe that if he said he'd kick the extra point, to me that's a fireable offense. He's been ridiculed, rightfully so, for not going for it deep in the red zone against TCU. But I'd like to think there's still some fight in him and he would've made the same call he made 2 years ago against Ole Miss. But not knowing the answer to that question is one of the only things keeping me from completely jumping off the Bielema bandwagon.

rizzohoghead

Tejano Jawg

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Razor1997

Would my aunt be my uncle if she had a weiner?

presidenthog

The whole time I felt if we scored we would go for 2. He did it vs ole miss. I think he would have done it here. Both Defenses were gassed. Scores would have came easy for both teams.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: presidenthog on September 29, 2017, 02:49:00 am
The whole time I felt if we scored we would go for 2. He did it vs ole miss. I think he would have done it here. Both Defenses were gassed. Scores would have came easy for both teams.

Really?

moses_007

Nope, he would have kicked the extra point, tied it, and went to second overtime.

HardingHog

I believe we would have gone for it because of our unusually good execution in short yardage situations that game (thanks in large part to Mr. Kelley), and I believe we most likely would've put it in Cole's hands there

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: moses_007 on September 29, 2017, 03:40:00 am
Nope, he would have kicked the extra point, tied it, and went to second overtime.

That's because he never gambles in OT................oops no wait never mind.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

DeltaBoy

It doesn't matter we threw a pick to end the game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Poker_hog

Quote from: Razor1997 on September 29, 2017, 02:07:12 am

It's 2017.  All you aunt has to do is identify as your uncle.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

userpick

sowmonella

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 29, 2017, 08:20:17 am
It doesn't matter we threw a pick to end the game.

What??? No one else noticed. The OP was just making an interesting observation. Yes I think we would have gone for 2.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogcard1964

Triple flea-flicker started off from a jet sweep from motion man-T.J. Hammons. Pass thrown by the tight end-C.J. O'Grady to receiver eligible Johnny Gibson.  Boom!!!  Game over.

The goal posts are torn down while Bert is hoisted onto the waiting shoulders of Agim, Greenlaw and Ragnow in celebration.  However all three players buckle under the weight and sustain serious leg and back injuries, thus ending their football careers.  The Hogs go on to lose their next 16 games.  However, Bert is given a 17 year extension with a yearly buyout of 80 million dollars. The loyal fan base continues to preach "patience" while Bert brings this team out of this "dumpster fire" while building the program "the right way". Our graduation rate moves from 9th in the SEC to 8th and Jeff Long drools on himself at the podium while announcing "it's better to lose than win".

Oh wait, I thought this was about what would have happened...  sorry, carry on.

niels_boar

A&M had a kicker that was looking comfortable.  We had one that had never attempted a FG in college game.  A&M had scored on 8 of their 9 previous possessions.  Going for 2 looked like our best shot at a win to me.  As soon as they tied it in regulation, I thought we were at a disadvantage in OT because of the kicking game.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Inhogswetrust

Only if she/he was an tamu aggie.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PossumFan

Quote from: niels_boar on September 29, 2017, 10:53:37 am
A&M had a kicker that was looking comfortable.  We had one that had never attempted a FG in college game.  A&M had scored on 8 of their 9 previous possessions.  Going for 2 looked like our best shot at a win to me.  As soon as they tied it in regulation, I thought we were at a disadvantage in OT because of the kicking game.

That's what I thought too. Figured he'd go for two because their kicking game was more reliable than ours.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PossumFan on September 29, 2017, 11:57:20 am
That's what I thought too. Figured he'd go for two because their kicking game was more reliable than ours.

Are you a George fan?

Corkscrew Johnson

Would he go for points with 2 minutes left in the first half, and a 1st & 10 from the 40 yard line?  Nope.  We ran out the clock.  This ain't a Petrino thread, but think if he had that same mentality against LSU in 2010?  We wouldn't have played in the Sugar Bowl.  I want a coach with the confidence to know you can, and the balls to know you will. 

phadedhawg

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on September 29, 2017, 12:57:04 pm
Would he go for points with 2 minutes left in the first half, and a 1st & 10 from the 40 yard line?  Nope.  We ran out the clock.  This ain't a Petrino thread, but think if he had that same mentality against LSU in 2010?  We wouldn't have played in the Sugar Bowl.  I want a coach with the confidence to know you can, and the balls to know you will. 

True but we had Ryan and we had Cobi and we had an offensive line so we were able to be a bit more aggressive.  Granted I was frustrated we rolled over at the end of the half but let's not act like that LSU game was the result of only good coaching...we had talent in skill positions and an offensive line. 

phadedhawg

I was yelling to go for 2.  Not bc I thought we would convert it.  Only bc I knew we wouldn't keep them out of the endzone and it was our only chance to win the game. 

Even if we did win it, it wouldn't have changed that much.  We've had lots of chances to beat A&M but we never do.  Winning a squeaker wouldn't show real improvement...it would just mean we were a bit luckier than the years prior.

hogcard1964

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 29, 2017, 01:04:25 pm
I was yelling to go for 2.  Not bc I thought we would convert it.  Only bc I knew we wouldn't keep them out of the endzone and it was our only chance to win the game. 

Even if we did win it, it wouldn't have changed that much.  We've had lots of chances to beat A&M but we never do.  Winning a squeaker wouldn't show real improvement...it would just mean we were a bit luckier than the years prior.

Yep, you either have barely beaten another really bad football team or lost to a really bad football team-barely.

PossumFan

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

SPAL

Who knows? Can't assume gender.