Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL post your picks thread (sports investing)

Started by WILL CLINTON, August 28, 2011, 09:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bsking

WVU line moved to 4.5...  Better than going the other way I guess.

The thing about WVU is their offense is just so freaking good, and their defense is just so freaking bad.  Almost every game is going to be a shootout and Geno and co. know that they need to score every possession.  AKA they aren't running the clock out up 10 in the 4th.  Just can't see them coming away without a win and with as high scoring of a game as it will be, I really can't imagine it ending at one score.

Well that's all for me trying to convince myself that that pick is good.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: bsking on October 12, 2012, 10:12:42 am
WVU line moved to 4.5...  Better than going the other way I guess.

The thing about WVU is their offense is just so freaking good, and their defense is just so freaking bad.  Almost every game is going to be a shootout and Geno and co. know that they need to score every possession.  AKA they aren't running the clock out up 10 in the 4th.  Just can't see them coming away without a win and with as high scoring of a game as it will be, I really can't imagine it ending at one score.

Well that's all for me trying to convince myself that that pick is good.

I think it is a good pick.  In my parlay i got them at -4 and bet the over of 77.5.  Tech's D is much worse than UTs and their offense will throw the ball almost every play (I think UT wins if they dont try to run the ball as much, idk what mack and the OC were thinking).  I can see it being 35-21 at half.  think we hit 77.5 in the 3rd quarter

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 11, 2012, 05:46:38 pm
Titans +7 as home dogs
Utep/Tulsa u62
Arizona st -21

3-0 to start the weekend off, well done sir pigs!  Great call on the Titans game, very impressive

mccurdy

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on October 11, 2012, 06:49:29 pm
If you are looking for one big hit, pocket the cash, and quit you are going about it the right way.  I do like the pick, but not an entire bankroll pick whether you bankroll is 100.00 1250.00 or 20,000.00.  W Va flew into Austin and won. Back to Morgantown, now flying into Lubbock. That is the only reason the line isn't WVa -10 or more. Somewhat like a west coast team in nfL flowing to the eastern time zone for an early start.

I think you win your bet.  That being said this is an investment for me. Started at 15 and 40 now. Have made money the past 20 or more years. Took my lumps the hard way.  I still have horrible weeks, but its all about the entire season. Roll over what you win to next year. Trust me on this I can survive some horrible weeks because of many previous profitable seasons.

Never make a big bet to buy an item you want for instance. You may hit once or twice, but sooner or later it will bite you in the butt.
Thanks for the advice. If I win maybe i can start thinking of this as a investment.

mccurdy

DadVader1

Quote from: mccurdy on October 12, 2012, 10:41:55 am
What does unit mean?

It's just a way to disclose in relative terms how much you bet on each game without disclosing dollar amounts.  One person's "unit" might be $10, one might be $25, one might be $100.  It lets you know how much the person likes each particular pick and gives you a feel for whether they really like a game or whether they just have a small amount on a game for the heck of it.  It also helps you keep track of whether someone is up or down for a weekend or the season, to help you decide how much weight to give their picks when making your own selections. 

mccurdy

That makes since. Well then I have 5 units on west Virginia to win.

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: mccurdy on October 12, 2012, 10:54:14 am
That makes since. Well then I have 5 units on west Virginia to win.

so a unit for you is $250, yes?

DadVader1

On the SCe/LSU game, it sounds like one of LSU's senior OL (Hurst) is going to miss the game for personal reasons and will likely be replaced by a freshman. 

SPAL

3-0 Thursday night. Finally got an nfl win.

YTD RECORD 34-27

SPAL

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on October 12, 2012, 10:26:08 am
3-0 to start the weekend off, well done sir pigs!  Great call on the Titans game, very impressive

Thank ya, sir

mccurdy

SPAL

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: mccurdy on October 12, 2012, 10:41:55 am
What does unit mean?

Different for different people.  Some it's 10.00 or 100.00 or 1000.00

Let's make some waves.

W Va -4. / 4 units
Baylor -7 / 5 units
Notre Dame -7 / 5 units
Oregon st +5.5 3 units
Uconn -5.5 4 units

1 unit three team parlay WVa, Baylor, uconn.

Let's make some waves.

Hawgndaaz

Took second half Titans at +4.5 last night. won 4 units (luckily)

Just bet:

WVU -4, 4 units and will probably add more tomorrow
Louisville -3 1 unit
Florida -9 2 units

Looking at:

Bama/Mizzou OVER
Ole Miss

Going to add more in the morning.

SPAL

I'm putting together sort of a bettors dictionary for new players. Any terms you wanna add , feel free.

Action: any type of play that involves putting money up.
Bookmaker: A person or company who accepts bets from the public, usually on racing or sports events (also known as a "bookie"). These can be local or offshore.
Bankroll: your total betting balance. How much you have to bet.
Chalk: a betting favorite. Signified by a (-) ..e.g -13
Circled game: a game in which the book places a limit on the bet amount. Usually because of uncertainty regarding the event. (Book may circle a game due to injury or off the field issues)
Cover: beating the spread. (Back door cover is a term used when you either win or lose late with a late score, )
Hook : the half of a point on a spread. I. E -12.5. Never get beat by the hook in a single digit spread.  (Personal strategy)
Dog: the underdog, opposite of chalk. Signified by (+)  e.g +11.
Juice: the amount paid to the book. E.g -110 means you have to bet 1.10 to win 1.00. The closer to 1.00 the less juice u have to pay. An even bet means there is no juice and for every dollar, you win a dollar.
Lock: a near guaranteed winner.
Parlay: increasing the odds by betting on more that 1 action. In a parlay, both bets have to win. The payout is significantly higher as the odds go up. The more events I a parlay, the higher the odds.
Sharp: an insider. People who lay big money. These are the people who make lines move.
Teaser: betting similar to a parlay where a bettor selects two or more events and has the ability to change the spread/point total in their favor at a cost of also improving the odds. I personally hate teasers as the risk is greater than the reward.(more personal preference)
Total: the combined score of an event. Signified by betti g either over or under ( one of my favorite plays)
Tout: someone who sells plays or info for a price. Usually a scam

My money management system....I never play more than 20%of my bank roll. Usually, my bets are between 5-7% of my total bank. My method is patience and grind. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It's easy to have a bad week, and then try to up your plays. Just find a system that works for you.

My board: I typically only play between 3-5 games at a time. Playing more than that seems counter productive. I would rather go 3-1 on some bigger plays than 6-6 on small plays. Again, everybody is different and this is just one method.

How I set up my board: on Monday, I pick 15 games that pass the eye test. They look like winners. I basically just look at over Ll record and numbers against the spread until I can narrow it down to 10. On Wednesday, I start crun hung numbers. Stats, records, trends etc. on thursdAy, I have nArrowed it down to 8. Usually with one of those being the Thursday night game. I don't put much into the Friday night game. On Friday, I rate my plays 1-5 with 5 being a must play and 1 being a throw away. On saturdy, I check my board with the. Here t line to see how it has changed and depending on the movement, I will select the games that have a rating of 3 or higher. Sometimes what was a 1 on Friday can be a 3 on Saturday. Even if I go 0-5, I will not try to recoup with a late game that I haven't prepped.

All this info is probably somewhere already , but its probably embedded somewhere in the middle of the madness. So may e the new players can have somewhat of an understanding of the terms and terminology.

DadVader1

THANKS Sir! That is exactly the type of info I have been looking for, but it's hard to find using google because you get flooded with BS results from betting sites and tout sites trying to sell you their services.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 12, 2012, 06:12:49 pm
I'm putting together sort of a bettors dictionary for new players. Any terms you wanna add , feel free.

Action: any type of play that involves putting money up.
Bookmaker: A person or company who accepts bets from the public, usually on racing or sports events (also known as a "bookie"). These can be local or offshore.
Bankroll: your total betting balance. How much you have to bet.
Chalk: a betting favorite. Signified by a (-) ..e.g -13
Circled game: a game in which the book places a limit on the bet amount. Usually because of uncertainty regarding the event. (Book may circle a game due to injury or off the field issues)
Cover: beating the spread. (Back door cover is a term used when you either win or lose late with a late score, )
Hook : the half of a point on a spread. I. E -12.5. Never get beat by the hook in a single digit spread.  (Personal strategy)
Dog: the underdog, opposite of chalk. Signified by (+)  e.g +11.
Juice: the amount paid to the book. E.g -110 means you have to bet 1.10 to win 1.00. The closer to 1.00 the less juice u have to pay. An even bet means there is no juice and for every dollar, you win a dollar.
Lock: a near guaranteed winner.
Parlay: increasing the odds by betting on more that 1 action. In a parlay, both bets have to win. The payout is significantly higher as the odds go up. The more events I a parlay, the higher the odds.
Sharp: an insider. People who lay big money. These are the people who make lines move.
Teaser: betting similar to a parlay where a bettor selects two or more events and has the ability to change the spread/point total in their favor at a cost of also improving the odds. I personally hate teasers as the risk is greater than the reward.(more personal preference)
Total: the combined score of an event. Signified by betti g either over or under ( one of my favorite plays)
Tout: someone who sells plays or info for a price. Usually a scam

My money management system....I never play more than 20%of my bank roll. Usually, my bets are between 5-7% of my total bank. My method is patience and grind. It's a marathon, not a sprint. It's easy to have a bad week, and then try to up your plays. Just find a system that works for you.

My board: I typically only play between 3-5 games at a time. Playing more than that seems counter productive. I would rather go 3-1 on some bigger plays than 6-6 on small plays. Again, everybody is different and this is just one method.

How I set up my board: on Monday, I pick 15 games that pass the eye test. They look like winners. I basically just look at over Ll record and numbers against the spread until I can narrow it down to 10. On Wednesday, I start crun hung numbers. Stats, records, trends etc. on thursdAy, I have nArrowed it down to 8. Usually with one of those being the Thursday night game. I don't put much into the Friday night game. On Friday, I rate my plays 1-5 with 5 being a must play and 1 being a throw away. On saturdy, I check my board with the. Here t line to see how it has changed and depending on the movement, I will select the games that have a rating of 3 or higher. Sometimes what was a 1 on Friday can be a 3 on Saturday. Even if I go 0-5, I will not try to recoup with a late game that I haven't prepped.

All this info is probably somewhere already , but its probably embedded somewhere in the middle of the madness. So may e the new players can have somewhat of an understanding of the terms and terminology.

+1...Man I wish I would have had access to information in this thread when I was just starting out. I would have a fatter wallet that's for sure.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

SPAL

I really should lay off Friday night games. I picked cmu because they were the home team. That's the extent of my Friday night selection. As good as ice been on Thursday, I'm horrible on Friday.

YTD RECORD 34-28

ur

A Progressive Parlay is very similar to a normal parlay but, in exchange for not getting as big a payout for picking a perfect combination, you are getting insurance for those occasions when one or more of the teams in your parlay loses.

These can be between 4 and 12 teams but you can only choose point spreads (no totals or moneylines).  In these parlays you can lose games and still win the bet because the payouts are lower.

4 - 6 teams... you can afford ONE team to lose/push
7 - 9 teams... you can afford TWO teams to lose/push
10 - 12 teams... you can afford THREE teams to lose/push

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on October 11, 2012, 02:12:23 pm
Worries me that it has dropped a point already, must be some huge money on Texas Tech....Wonder what they know that we don't.

Only reason that line isn't WVa -10 is the two weeks of travel from Morgantown ad Texas combined with WVA coming off huge emotional win in Austin.

In talent WVa Should win by 24 or more.
Let's make some waves.

SPAL

October 13, 2012, 10:09:35 am #1522 Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:58:55 am by sir-pigs-a-lot
Tamu -8....................L
Utah st +3.................W
Ole miss -5................W
Tennessee +3.............L (lost by a one handed touchdown with 9 seconds on 4th and goal)
West Virginia -4...........L

Have 1 more I may add
Cal -7.........................W

3-3

YTD RECORD 37-30

yraciv

October 13, 2012, 10:46:04 am #1523 Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 10:40:37 am by yraciv
YTD: 35-22-1, +10.5 units
4 units:
West Virginia -3.5 L

3 units:
OU -3.5 W
San Jose St. -3  L

2 units:
Vandy +10 L
Wash +14 W
Bama -21 W
Packers +3 W
ULL -5 L

1 unit
Wisc +1 W
Ball State -3 W

bsking

Ole Miss has dropped to -4.  I was on the fence at -6 nut I went ahead and put a couple units on that one.

Huckleberry Pig

SPAL

Huckleberry Pig

looks like duke will ruin my second parlay after KState ruined my first one.  Duke put up 20pts in the first quarter, havnt scored since.  were up 20-17 at halftime and are now losing 41-20. 

I can't catch a break.  I'm gonna take a break for a week or two.  My last two weeks have been pathetic.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on October 13, 2012, 02:31:46 pm
looks like duke will ruin my second parlay after KState ruined my first one.  Duke put up 20pts in the first quarter, havnt scored since.  were up 20-17 at halftime and are now losing 41-20. 

I can't catch a break.  I'm gonna take a break for a week or two.  My last two weeks have been pathetic.

It happens. good call on taking some time off, sometimes it helps.

I'm not betting another game that involves VTech. I lost betting on them for 3 weeks, and now lost betting against them this week.

I am adding

Baylor -6....2*

I just upped my Baylor bet from 5 units to a dime. Nutt bet of the day.
Let's make some waves.

SPAL

SPAL

Quote from: mccurdy on October 11, 2012, 11:05:07 am
This sounds like good advice. Maybe i can try that next time. Cause I already put $1250 for West Virginia to win.

Somebody better check to make sure this guy is still alive

WILL CLINTON

bsking

I just did a major major no-no.

Decided to take LSU -3 tonight at the same clip that WVU just lost me.

First emotional bet I've ever made.  Today is either going to be epically bad or very relieving.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

mccurdy

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on October 10, 2012, 09:15:04 pm
If you have 1250.00 to bet with look at thur fri and sat action only.  Pick out what you think the three strongest plays are. Put 200.00 on each.  If you make money or lose, and want to play something on Sunday you are still able. Also gives you a better shot at sticking around for another week.

Your bankroll should determine how much and what you bet.
My way
5 units- -4 west Virginia big loss

Your way
4 units- Alabama -21
4 units- Oregon state +6.5
Won both

So only down a little over a unit thanks to you.

mccurdy

Quote from: mccurdy on October 13, 2012, 06:15:11 pm
My way
5 units- -4 west Virginia big loss

Your way
4 units- Alabama -21
4 units- Oregon state +6.5
Won both

So only down a little over a unit thanks to you.
Sorry I meant 2 units on the last two.

mccurdy

mccurdy

Is there another game tonight that looks good?

SPAL

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on October 13, 2012, 02:54:15 pm
I just upped my Baylor bet from 5 units to a dime. Nutt bet of the day.

Looks like nick Florence bet this game as well....his money must be on tcu

mccurdy

I think I'm done for tonight. Going to go enjoy the game.

bsking

Wow, LSU is going to screw me.  They've outplayed the cocks on both sides of the ball and are getting beat at home.  Freaking Mettenberger pick.

bsking

Yep.  Officially taken to the woodshed today.

SPAL

October 13, 2012, 10:53:02 pm #1544 Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:54:37 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
Quote from: bsking on October 13, 2012, 10:46:06 pm
Yep.  Officially taken to the woodshed today.

We have all had em. You did what all of us have done at one point, far too many times. you Lose a big bet and then put money up to try to recoup. This takes discipline. Stay strong and learn for mistakes.

mccurdy

I got to drinking and got some guts. Took New Mexico -1.5 over Hawaii. I got 8 units on this one trying to make up for the West Virginia game.

yraciv

Quote from: mccurdy on October 13, 2012, 11:41:29 pm
I got to drinking and got some guts. Took New Mexico -1.5 over Hawaii. I got 8 units on this one trying to make up for the West Virginia game.

How do you have money left? You must have been saving up for this one night to throw it all away.

SPAL

Quote from: mccurdy on October 13, 2012, 11:41:29 pm

I bet your book sends u a Christmas card this year.

mccurdy

I won the Alabama and Oregon state game. So I was only down like 1 unit. Wow new Mexico up 21-0.
I need to win this one my baby needs shoes.

McKdaddy

October 14, 2012, 12:08:04 am #1549 Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:23:04 am by McKdaddy
Quote from: McKdaddy on October 12, 2012, 10:03:23 am
LSU     -2.5   L
Miami     +8   W
UL     -3   W
UK     +18.5   void
WVU     -4   L
Aub/Miss     u48.5   L

6pt teaser:  OSU  -11.5  &  DU  +16   L

I blow a$$.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin