Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Orville Henry on "The Committee" and Alice in Wonderland

Started by WilsonHog, August 27, 2006, 05:13:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

August 27, 2006, 05:13:28 pm Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 05:59:21 pm by WilsonHog
This column ran in the Arkansas Times on Dec. 19, 1997. I looked for a link on the Arkansas Times site, but couldn't find one. I finally Googled enough until I found it in a post by Gorilla J. Monsoon on the free portion of the Hawgs Illustrated site last October.

Broyles bows to emotion, chancellor
Houston Nutt in 'Alice in Wonderland' finish - Orville Henry

Houston Dale Nutt is unique.

He is the only Arkansas Razorback football coach to have been chosen by players.

Former players, and present ones.

He's the only Arkansas coach whose choice was based on emotion, not reason or the facts of the matter.

He owes his selection to the new chancellor, John A. White, who laid down a Mary Poppins (some say junior high) set of rules for the selection process. And he owes the athletic director, Frank Broyles, who, out of loyalty to the chancellor, his boss, and in respect for his former players who made the semi-final recommendation, did not, as he might have in the past, manipulate the designation to the man he actually thought best qualified.

It all came down to an Alice in Wonderland finish.

And as you read this account of the selection process, you may decide that this may be the last time the University of Arkansas will permit gossip exchanged between players at Arkansas and Mississippi to decide who is the best coach to direct the Razorbacks.

Or, maybe not.

Houston Nutt may turn out to be the best thing to hit Arkansas since, as they used to say, sliced bread. He obviously can move people. Eventually, that won't be the telling factor. My experience is that you win with good athletes who are taught what to do and who then can go out and do it without thinking and who then can call on their emotions when this is what is required. The recruiting, the organization and the teaching is what does this.

Houston, one believes, knows this, and this doesn't mean he can't call on emotional gimmickry that he has used at Murray State and Boise State.

In the long run, as well as immediately, he and his staff (suspect at this point, inevitably, and maybe unfairly so) will have to out-recruit and out-coach the most seasoned, savvy coaches blessed with the strongest, fastest, most aggressive players in collegiate football.

And maybe they will.
The formula for obtaining a replacement for Danny Ford, whose three-year contract was bought out Sunday, Nov. 30, the day after his fifth team finished 4-7 for the second year in a row, was laid down immediately by Chancellor White, who was said to have brought it with him from Georgia Tech, where it had been used.

The key people were the six members of what might have been called a Captains Committee: All six either were or functioned as quarterbacks or captains of notable Razorback teams. They were:

•Eddie Bradford, originally of Little Rock, a tackle for Bowden Wyatt's 1954 SWC champions, a career hospital administrator who now runs NARTI, a cancer facility, in Springdale.
•Jim Lindsey, originally of Forrest City, a wingback and leader on the national championship (11-0) team of 1964; a player-coach in the kicking game with the Minnesota Vikings for seven years; the main man in Lindsey & Associates (Broyles is one of the latter) who has revamped burgeoning Northwest Arkansas with his real estate expertise.
•Bill Montgomery, originally of Carrolton, a Dallas suburb, THE quarterback during Arkansas' 29-5 spree of 1968-70, a successful Grand Prairie (Dallas) businessman, strong U of A supporter.
•Scott Bull, originally of Jonesboro, quarterback of Broyles' last Cotton Bowl team (a 31-10 win over Georgia); briefly San Francisco 49ers quarterback; a top executive of Pace Industries and its successor.
•Quinn Grovey, originally of Duncan, Okla., only quarterback to take Arkansas to two straight Cotton Bowls, 1989-90; holder of school records until Barry Lunney came along; a rising major supervisor in the Wal-Mart organization.
•Earl Scott, originally from North Little Rock, over-achieving center who survived to provide leadership and earn rewards for the SEC-West title in 1995; now back at the U of A working toward a degree after a stint in Europe as a pro footballer.

The function of these six was to interview candidates and, eventually, to recommend one, two or three to the Search or Screening Committee, which would then join the Captains Committee in making a choice and pass it on to Broyles who would then pass the nominee on to the chancellor, the president, B. Alan Sugg, and the Board of Trustees.

Broyles served as consultant to both groups, but, whether on his own or at the instruction of White isn't clear, Broyles did not sit in on any interviews. He would wait for them to end, and then, in private give the candidate the job specifics--salary, perks, working conditions, etc.

For purposes of this article, I did not speak with White or Broyles. My information comes from what I call the Captains Committee, where the decision was actually made.

From the start, the obvious front runner would be Tommy Tuberville of Ole Miss, who had come in under adverse circumstances and done a live-wire job for three years at Ole Miss. Indeed, he would be named SEC coach of this year the day Nutt was hired.
Obviously, Tuberville was not interested in an interview or a drawn-out, public process. He needed this to be done the old way, a couple of phone calls, no visits (he knew Arkansas, his home state, very well), a quick announcement, done.

Except, he was told, no one would be hired without an interview, although it could take place privately at a remote place. In that case, he said, making a fatal mistake, he wanted his interview to be the last one, and not at all if he were not to be offered the job. Tuberville, who DID work around Jimmy Johnson a lot, as well as Larry Lacewell, can be wittily waspish at times. (A Captains Committee man did allow, "Bear Bryant was Hitler at times, but he won, and we want a winner.")

Tuberville's interview took place in a room at the Quality Inn near a New York City airport that caters to private jets, like the Kingair one of the Captains had borrowed from his firm (which was probably reimbursed by the Razorback Foundation for this trip.)
By this time, the Captains were nearly exhausted, as well as short-tempered, when they reached Fayetteville that night, where the decision was made. And that proved to be a heckuva break for Houston Nutt.

Coming from a $125,000 job at Boise State, which would forgive him what would seem to be a perfunctory bid for the job at his home state university, Nutt could appear in outgoing form in Fayetteville, greeted by an entourage that had been preparing for this day for a month.

Houston Dale was charming, and the Captains, who listened to him for going on four hours, were charmed.

The Broyles Center became infused with enthusiasm for the onetime War Memorial Stadium ball boy who could come back talking of a national championship for his Hogs. Under-40 fans from Little Rock ran to their faxes, seconding the nomination. Writers and TV people from the little boomtowns on the Highway 71 corridor penned and broadcast immediate hosannahs for Houston.
Beyond belief, for one with no head coaching experience at this level, Nutt became the front runner--in the media.

No one in the past, of course, had been allowed to use the interview process as a mighty advertisement, a political-type rally.
"He impressed us totally," one Captain says. "I do believe that he won us over with something Danny hardly ever had showed us: his enthusiasm, his lack of negativism."

The big thing? "We did not hold it against Houston that he did not have any head coaching against the likes of the SEC in his background. We already knew that Terry Bowden had gone from little Samford to do well at Auburn and Jim Donnan from Marshall to Georgia. Others, as well. That was not a consideration to us."

They worked, these Captains did.

"None of us had any experience at this, but we learned," one of them said. "We were NOT going to violate John Barnhill's old rule that says don't hire anything but proven head coaches. We interviewed several of Danny's assistants, though, to get practice and also to learn from them if things people were saying had been true. None of them knocked Coach Broyles. They said he'd never butted in and they kinda wished that he would have. They wanted to win just like he did."

They did see that contact was made with Butch Davis, the Springdale product who had been a scholarship athlete at Arkansas, although injuries kept him from making the team, and who said in all his days at Miami, Dallas, and now at Miami, he'd wanted to be head coach at Arkansas.

A Captain said, "Butch had a clause in his contract which would cost any school taking him $925,000, I think. We knew that John Tyson (son of poultry magnate Don Tyson) had volunteered to pay that for us, no problem. Butch said that as much as he appreciates Johnny, he doesn't believe that would be appropriate. Besides, Butch said, he felt he had a blemish against him at the University of Miami and that he needed to erase that and finish the job there. We sorta got the idea, too, that the taste of the NFL he got with the Cowboys has left him with an eye for the pros. No hard feelings, though."

Of the 27 names submitted, eight were head coaches.

There was so much interest in The Other Bowden, the one who turned Tulane around in one year, that the Captains had Bill Montgomery make the only call they made.

"You know," said one Captain, "I know that Bobby, the daddy, at Florida State, and Terry, at Auburn, talk every week. I think that's a big thing. And I think the latest one would get a lot of help from that."

But the new Bowden told Montgomery that he had 21 returning starters at Tulane and that he thought he could get to the top there quicker than at Arkansas. He probably had looked at Arkansas' killer schedule.

Of the aides who did visit, the Captains listened in awe to Tennessee play-caller David Cutcliffe three hours. "It was the first time I've seen one of those guys pull out his computer, give us the facts and tell us what play he'd call next," said one. "After watching him, I feel for Houston," one said. The assistant they truly loved was George Stewart, late of Notre Dame, now of the 49ers.

They went to Oklahoma City for a visit--"a courtesy call, really," with Bob Simmons, the miracle man at Oklahoma State. "Splendid, impressive," but Simmons says he has more work to do at OSU.

Late, Dennis Franchione of New Mexico entranced them. He probably would have finished No. 3 on the list--if they'd ever finished one.

The Louisiana Tech head coach who declined to interview called back asking for one, but too late.

The interview with Tuberville in New York (where many would attend the National Football Hall of Fame banquet) began at 5:30 a.m. Arkansas time. It lasted until 9:30.

Tuberville had no problem stating his case, a good one, but sharp questioning followed. He had been an assistant at Miami on the day the Hurricanes suffered more than 200 yards in penalties in the Cotton Bowl, mostly by seniors taunting Texas, which had a player who started this sort of thing at parties attended by both during the week.

Yes, they were out of control, but he was not the head coach, Tuberville said. He maintained discipline at Mississippi. Oh? someone asked him. How about the five-minute fight just before the kickoff of last month's game against Mississippi State? Recruiting violations came up. Ole Miss was clean, Tuberville said. The NCAA had spent a month last spring clearing the program (In which violations by Billy Brewer's regime had led to Tuberville's hiring.)

Still, one Nutt man granted that, "Tuberville could win an SEC championship in the next three years."

But one Captains man said, "The way Arkansas pushed them around at Fayetteville last year (coming from behind to win on a Pete Burks pass in the fourth quarter), I didn't see much motivation."

By then it was 3-3, Nutt and Tuberville. Strangely, as the Captains filled out grades for each in the various categories, a truly impossible and dubious system, they stood even, 441 points to 441.

Broyles, who had questioned the validity of the latter measurement system, part of the chancellor's plan, one is told, went with Tuberville to talk terms.

According to various reports, and the rest of this is sketchy and barebones from a rather frantic scene, Tuberville had been offered around $1 million each for five years or maybe $850,000 each for seven.

It then occurred to them that they couldn't meet Tuberville's 12-hour deadline and also get home and submit findings to the big committee plus White and Sugg, as they'd been instructed. Broyles was told to telephone Tuberville and inform him that he had a 3-3 tie and could not give him a decision within 12 hours. When he made the call, he apparently was talking to Tuberville's agent--and he could hear Mississippi people talking offers in the background. This report jolted the Captains.

Was there an offer? An acceptance? Who knew?

Furthermore, when the Arkansas party picked up a report from Mississippi they felt sure that the Ole Miss folks were quoting the exact figures Broyles had written on a slip of paper for Tuberville. They felt they could deduce only that Tuberville was using the offer to milk more from Ole Miss, something still in the realm of only conjecture.

These weary people got into the plane to return to Fayetteville for a major meeting. The plane's pilot reported a strong headwind. They had to stop in Terre Haute, Ind., to refuel. When they landed in Fayetteville, they heard from a four-man group of athletes who said they'd been talking to Ole Miss players who put the knock on Tuberville, saying that he was "more negative" than Ford had been. Two-bit, questionable stuff, that.

The exhausted, nettled Captains re-caucused. By 5-1, they opted for Nutt.

Broyles, though a Tuberville man, telephoned Nutt that the plane from Fayetteville would leave shortly to pick him up as Arkansas's next head football coach.

Shortly, Tuberville sent word, probably through Lindsey (or a friend) at Helena, that he'd accept Broyles' terms. Too late.
Montgomery, the Tuberville holdout, had stayed in New York. He agreed to change his vote, make it unanimous, 6-0.
Houston Dale, do good. -Orville Henry

nwarazfan

They got one thing right: Houston Nutt = Terry Bowden.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

whatsshakinbacon

As I read this, there's one thing that stands out.  As much as I hate where we are, when I look at the guys who turned us down I have to think that our facilities upgrades over the past 8 years have been incredible.  Enough that anybody from Tulane, Mississippi, New Mexico or Louisiana Tech would jump at the chance to come up here.

Bacon out...

Richard_white

August 27, 2006, 05:54:16 pm #4 Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 05:56:13 pm by Richard_white
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 27, 2006, 05:49:57 pm
As I read this, there's one thing that stands out.  As much as I hate where we are, when I look at the guys who turned us down I have to think that our facilities upgrades over the past 8 years have been incredible.  Enough that anybody from Tulane, Mississippi, New Mexico or Louisiana Tech would jump at the chance to come up here.

Bacon out...

Even Louisana Tech?  I'm impressed

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Richard_white on August 27, 2006, 05:54:16 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 27, 2006, 05:49:57 pm

Bacon out...

Even Louisana Tech?  I'm impressed

Yep, the La Tech coach wasn't interested per this excerpt.

"The Louisiana Tech head coach who declined to interview called back asking for one, but too late."

Orville's words, not mine.

Bacon out...

HogHillbilly

Dang it Wilson.........I wish you would quit posting these..........I didn't know any of this happened.............I think I'm gonna throw up..............

There is no telling where we would be now if TT had been hired
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

Tejano Jawg

Man...that reads like the novel. Crime, drama, torrid affairs. Plus, whenever you start out with an "Alice in Wonderland" reference, you know you're in for something good.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ballhog™

Orville had a grasp on the inner workings of the Razorbacks like no other.

I do not think there will be a shortage of quality coaches the next time there is a hire.  Maybe not a lot of big names we recognize, but coaches that can still flat out coach and recruit.  Next time forget the committee...
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: ballhog on August 27, 2006, 06:30:46 pm
Orville had a grasp on the inner workings of the Razorbacks like no other.

I do not think there will be a shortage of quality coaches the next time there is a hire.  Maybe not a lot of big names we recognize, but coaches that can still flat out coach and recruit.  Next time forget the committee...

I'm hoping our next coach is already on campus...should save on travel costs for the hiring committee.

Bacon out...

Tejano Jawg

This is one of my favorite passages:
"In the long run, as well as immediately, he and his staff will have to out-recruit and out-coach the most seasoned, savvy coaches blessed with the strongest, fastest, most aggressive players in collegiate football."

How have we done on that one?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Stamford Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 27, 2006, 05:13:28 pm
In the long run, as well as immediately, he and his staff (suspect at this point, inevitably, and maybe unfairly so) will have to out-recruit and out-coach the most seasoned, savvy coaches blessed with the strongest, fastest, most aggressive players in collegiate football.

It's absolutely amazing that Orville was able to see exactly how things would turn out ten years later.  What's more amazing is the "suspect" staff that Houston brought with him still has three of the original members with it.  That is the center of most of Houston's problems as a head coach, the refusal to surround himself with the best coaches available instead of his friends and family.

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

Jhawg05

Quote from: JJHog on August 27, 2006, 07:49:46 pm
Thanks again, John White.

All of you same people would be tring to humiliate Tommy T. also..... 

Shoatening

Orville was the greatest sports writer in arkansas. I'd forgotten just how awesome he really was. Thanks for reminding me.

hogman64

I always had respect for OH , but this brings it to a new level.....that article is the writing of a man that saw the Nutt hire for exactly what it was............Now if I can figure out where my brain was at that time I might be able to learn something from the situation......Yes I supported Nutt over TT................That's hard to admit..........+ to Wilson for the research........

RivercrestHog

Well if y'all would read bacons lil bacon bits thing then you would know that a lot of people were looking for these and if you stick it to the top then everyone gets to see it.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Short and Stout on August 27, 2006, 08:37:49 pm
Well if y'all would read bacons lil bacon bits thing then you would know that a lot of people were looking for these and if you stick it to the top then everyone gets to see it.

I took it down this afternoon...they didn't have a chance to see it, but yes, you are right.  In the Bacon Bits thread several people were talking about the Orville article(s) so Wilson was generous enough to go find them and post them.  I am impressed with his ability to find things and thank him for the effort it took to get it.  This was not intended to stir anything up, although having a front row seat to some of this has been quite entertaining.

Bacon out...

g.lynn

OH wrote a sports column about the Hogs up until his death.  As the articles Wilson has posted today, these columns also reflect the relationship between wisdom and aging.  OH covered the Hogs for 60+ years and was right on more than not.  As I get older ...... forget ...... and ..... zip ..... ouch!   
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

There is nothing wrong with the Hogs, that cannot be cured by what is right with the Hogs!

WilsonHog

OH wrote a beautiful piece about Razorback football, as only he could. Whether you agree with him or not, the piece provides fertile ground for discussion.

Back on topic, please.

Albert Einswine

Wilson,  again I thank you for posting these articles from Orville.   It's incredible the perspective he had.  I wish all concerned had listened to him then.

To read these now is akin to having the greatest chronicler in the entire history of Razorbackdom speak to us once more from beyond the grave.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

whatsshakinbacon

Orville had a great way of tying games from 20-30-40 years prior into current day events.  I loved it and it made me realize the University of Arkansas was much more than just the teams I cheered for.

Bacon out...

Oklahawg

One thing that always amazed me about HDN: he owned Tubby for a few years. That ominous day in 2003, 10-7, may well be the day the music died for HDN.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WilsonHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 27, 2006, 09:16:55 pm
Wilson,  again I thank you for posting these articles from Orville.   It's incredible the perspective he had.  I wish all concerned had listened to him then.

To read these now is akin to having the greatest chronicler in the entire history of Razorbackdom speak to us once more from beyond the grave.

I've enjoyed reading them. OH was one of a kind. From the time I was 10 years old until he retired the first thing I did when I got the newspaper was turn to his column. I literally grew up reading him. 

moley_russells_wart_hog

" Captain said, "Butch had a clause in his contract which would cost any school taking him $925,000, I think. We knew that John Tyson (son of poultry magnate Don Tyson) had volunteered to pay that for us, no problem. Butch said that as much as he appreciates Johnny, he doesn't believe that would be appropriate. Besides, Butch said, he felt he had a blemish against him at the University of Miami and that he needed to erase that and finish the job there. We sorta got the idea, too, that the taste of the NFL he got with the Cowboys has left him with an eye for the pros. No hard feelings, though."

so all the conditions which kept butch away are now gone

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: moley_russells_wart_hog on August 27, 2006, 09:32:05 pm
" Captain said, "Butch had a clause in his contract which would cost any school taking him $925,000, I think. We knew that John Tyson (son of poultry magnate Don Tyson) had volunteered to pay that for us, no problem. Butch said that as much as he appreciates Johnny, he doesn't believe that would be appropriate. Besides, Butch said, he felt he had a blemish against him at the University of Miami and that he needed to erase that and finish the job there. We sorta got the idea, too, that the taste of the NFL he got with the Cowboys has left him with an eye for the pros. No hard feelings, though."

so all the conditions which kept butch away are now gone

No, not all of them...one remains:

Jim Lindsey

Bacon out...

Richard_white

Quote from: BOTHOG on August 27, 2006, 09:34:47 pm
Broyles, though a Tuberville man, telephoned Nutt that the plane from Fayetteville would leave shortly to pick him up as Arkansas's next head football coach.

Shortly, Tuberville sent word, probably through Lindsey (or a friend) at Helena, that he'd accept Broyles' terms. Too late.
Montgomery, the Tuberville holdout, had stayed in New York. He agreed to change his vote, make it unanimous, 6-0.

The biggest mistake in the history of Arkansas football.  This is the description of one of the largest screw-ups in football.  Broyles could still right this wrong before he is carried out.

I have a feeling that Frank will have no say in who the next coach will be.  As long as Jim Lindsey and this so called hiring committee is still around,  Arkansas will have a up and comer for a HC.

GuvHog

The shocking thing to me is when Bill Montgomery changed his vote, it became a unanimous
decision. That speaks volumes.

It's also shocking to find out BD had a chance to be the HC at Arkansas and turned it down flat.
He most likely would have been hired.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 27, 2006, 11:59:13 pm
The shocking thing to me is when Bill Montgomery changed his vote, it became a unanimous

It's also shocking to find out BD had a chance to be the HC at Arkansas and turned it down flat.

Often when committees vote for something, and the decision is made, they take one more vote in order for everyone to vote unanimously.  Plays better for the press (and the person selected) if everyone is 100% behind the decision, even if they really weren't.

Bacon out...

nwarazfan

Oh, Bill Montgomery's changing his vote shocks you?  Guess you'd also be shocked to find out how much Bill has been involved with the Hogs since the Nutt hiring debacle. 

I see where you are trying to go GUV.  Once again you are just being annoying and stupid.

GuvHog

Quote from: nwarazfan on August 28, 2006, 12:05:09 am

Oh, Bill Montgomery's changing his vote shocks you?  Guess you'd also be shocked to find out how much Bill has been involved with the Hogs since the Nutt hiring debacle. 

I see where you are trying to go GUV.  Once again you are just being annoying and stupid.

Since you SEEM to know so much, Tell me where I'm trying to go.

Hawgz4Life

August 28, 2006, 08:18:16 am #32 Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 12:34:07 pm by Hawgz4Life
wow...I don't think I've ever seen a disagreement between two "BMOC" posters. When the Hogvillians start bickering, is that a bad sign? LOL! J/K....
I, too find OH's articles to be "dead nuts" and very telling. I'm kinda nauseous myself.

James K. Pork

Quote from: Fresh Legs on August 27, 2006, 09:31:31 pm
Where are these reporters at now?  No wonder so many of you give Otis Kirk, Clay Henry, Dudley Dawson, Rick Schaeffer, Wally Hall and others such a hard time.  I have always thought they sugarcoated things BEFORE and without comparison to Orville.  Once you make the comparison, it really puts it into perspective.  The sugarcoating seems to be on another level.  These people who write and pump sunshine on the air aren't even worthy to be called reporters. 

Orville had credibility.  Not the kind that is bestowed upon you because you end up being a superb bootlicker.  The kind you earn through hard work, quality, and, above all, honesty.

Someone mentioned the Auburn debacle from 2003.  I remember Wally Hall taking an entire column to rip the refs for cheating Arkansas out of a deserved win.  Orville would've focused on the failure of our coaching staff to utilize superior talent/experience against a struggling Auburn team, but Wally didn't have the guts to go there.

OH told it as it truly existed.  Were he with us today, he would be the print version of Bruce James:  one true critic in a sea of sycophants.

Arkstfan

"The Louisiana Tech coach" was Gary Crowton. He later left Tech to be offensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears and then parlayed that into the head job at BYU. He flamed out at Provo and is offensive coordinator for the Oregon Ducks.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Arkstfan on August 28, 2006, 09:57:44 am
"The Louisiana Tech coach" was Gary Crowton. He later left Tech to be offensive coordinator for the Chicago Bears and then parlayed that into the head job at BYU. He flamed out at Provo and is offensive coordinator for the Oregon Ducks.

Too bad for him he didn't come claim the 8 year pass Arkansas offers with new head coaches.

Bacon out...

GuvHog

Quote from: BOTHOG on August 28, 2006, 08:34:09 am
Quote from: GUVHOG on August 28, 2006, 12:16:35 am

You are trying to say Bill supported the hiring of Nutt. Nothing could be further from the truth. Bill has not had anything to do with the U of A since the hiring of Nutt. He pulled all his support, which I understand was substantial, and does not come to the games.

Wrong. From what I had read I had allways believed that there were more than one
who opposed HDN. I was shocked to find out Bill Montgomery was the only one. But since you
mentioned it, I find it very hard to believe Bill Montgomery would be so opposed to HDN that he would cut all ties with the University of Arkansas. If that were true he NEVER would have agreed to change his vote and vote
for HDN. By the Way, Bill has attended several Razorback Club Meetings where I attend.

hogsNbeer

Great article.....thanks Wilson.....     Amazing, the inner workings of a circus........  :puke:  That is, our administration........   Awesome how people question Broyles age, but the man knew enough to not want Nutt over Tubberville.........  Thanks to John White who made this possible..... :puke:

txkhog

Quote from: GUVHOG on August 28, 2006, 10:07:33 am

You are trying to say Bill supported the hiring of Nutt. Nothing could be further from the truth. Bill has not had anything to do with the U of A since the hiring of Nutt. He pulled all his support, which I understand was substantial, and does not come to the games.

Wrong. From what I had read I had allways believed that there were more than one
who opposed HDN. I was shocked to find out Bill Montgomery was the only one.

If not mistaken, I think Scott Bull was against Nutt as well.

GuvHog

Quote from: txkhog on August 28, 2006, 10:17:54 am

who opposed HDN. I was shocked to find out Bill Montgomery was the only one.

If not mistaken, I think Scott Bull was against Nutt as well.

That's what I thought, but according to Orville that's not true.

Richard_white

Quote from: BOTHOG on August 28, 2006, 10:33:00 am

who opposed HDN. I was shocked to find out Bill Montgomery was the only one. But since you
mentioned it, I find it very hard to believe Bill Montgomery would be so opposed to HDN that he would cut all ties with the University of Arkansas. If that were true he NEVER would have agreed to change his vote and vote
for HDN. By the Way, Bill has attended several Razorback Club Meetings where I attend.

Not since the hiring of Nutt he hasn't. By the way Bill lives in Texas. Are you saying you go to meetings in Texas? or are you blowing smoke again?  I really don't think you would know Bill if he came up and bit you on the behind.

BOTHOG, I would just let Guvy spew his mess.  He knows so much but he didn't know the simplest question yesterday.

GuvHog

Bill Montgomery Did attend several of our Razorback Club Meetings as a guest.
I know this because I was THERE.

EastexHawg

Some of you Nutt buddies are slipping...

I had a free "Nutt n But Fun" t-shirt for the first poster who wrote that Bill Montgomery is not a true Razorback...and needs to just go be an Arkansas State fan for distancing himself from the program because he does not support Nutt.

LOL.

Pig Power

Amazing that OH had the insight to write the article many years ago knowing the the "Big Top" was in town. I wish we had writers with any balls to call this mess the way it really exists. Ahhhhh.. What could have been. We might know come December though.

Ross U (HDHF)

This article outlines things that will keep me from ever going to eat lunch with the Chancellor (yes I've had several opportunites, but I can't make myself go).  This whole situation makes me sick.    He's going to turn us into Vandy.

Since 1894

Here is my question, we can read our comments after back to back "rebuilding" (just as HDN informed us when he turned down Nebraska's $ 2mm) seasons.

Now close your eyes and think back to the 1998 season.  If it is December 1998, what are your comments to Orville's thoughts???  What would you have said then?
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Since 1894 on August 28, 2006, 07:55:11 pm
Here is my question, we can read our comments after back to back "rebuilding" (just as HDN informed us when he turned down Nebraska's $ 2mm) seasons.

Now close your eyes and think back to the 1998 season.  If it is December 1998, what are your comments to Orville's thoughts???  What would you have said then?

Nutt had won one season with someone else's players.  Lets see what he does 3,4,5 years in.

Immensehog

After beating us last year, TT walked off the field waving politely to the crowd.  Kicked our tails AGAIN.  And waved as hed left.  Coulda, shoulda , woulda.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.