Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possum infestation

Started by hogcard1964, March 18, 2015, 08:44:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcard1964

I have a ton of these things hanging around my property.  I killed an enourmous one last week and I don't want to have to do this every other day.

There's a lot of small dogs in the area and the possums I've recently seen near my property are twice the size of some of these dogs.  Will these things really hurt a small dog?  I do know rabies are an issue.

Any tips, without the obvious involvement of a .22?

twistitup

They are easy to live trap...then relocate them. I'm guessing you have several dens nearby if you are seeing that many.

They are a sucker for tuna juice on a cotton ball...

Crazy marsupials - can't live with em can't live without em
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogcard1964

I did that two years ago.  Trapped one, put it in the back of my truck and the truck stunk for a month.

However, I do think that's the route I'm going to have to go again.

They're not very aggressive, are they?

twistitup

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 18, 2015, 08:52:13 am
I did that two years ago.  Trapped one, put it in the back of my truck and the truck stunk for a month.

However, I do think that's the route I'm going to have to go again.

They're not very aggressive, are they?
Not unless cornered then they might get nasty. Normally possums are not aggressive but they will hiss, show teeth, then play dead or try to run away.

hogcard1964

Quote from: twistitup on March 18, 2015, 08:53:48 am
Not unless cornered then they might get nasty. Normally not aggressive and will hiss, show teeth, then play dead or try to run away.

Will they mess up a small dog?

twistitup

hogcard1964

Thanks

I'd prefer not to shoot them.

PEtrader

They can get very mean around their babies.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

twistitup

Quote from: PEtrader on March 18, 2015, 02:37:28 pm
They can get very mean around their babies.

Or when protecting stacks of Dinars.

PEtrader

Quote from: twistitup on March 18, 2015, 02:39:38 pm
Or when protecting stacks of Dinars.

Very defensive then.   They love worthless paper like none other. 
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

Rzbakfromwaybak

March 18, 2015, 05:17:29 pm #10 Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:28:06 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: twistitup on March 18, 2015, 08:48:12 am

They are easy to live trap...then relocate them. I'm guessing you have several dens nearby if you are seeing that many.

They are a sucker for tuna juice on a cotton ball...

Crazy marsupials - can't live with em can't live without em

Agree with you 100% on the tuna.  Have live trapped a dozen of them in the last few years in my backyard.....with cheap Walmart tuna.  Got to start putting my trap out again.  Saw 2 big fat ones yesterday....about the same size... going across my backyard  at 9:30 in the morning. Looked like both of them had been eating well.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Wayne Watson

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

PEtrader

LSUFan

Put 'em in a 55gal drum for a week and feed it nothing but sweet potatoes to clean it out, some good eatin'
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

pigture perfect

Walker hounds love to chase possums. They will have them run out in no time.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DOGALUM

What the hell is this thread?!

Hogcard is timid about opossums?   

This  doesn't make sense. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

PEtrader

Quote from: LSUFan on March 18, 2015, 11:34:24 pm
Put 'em in a 55gal drum for a week and feed it nothing but sweet potatoes to clean it out, some good eatin'

Typical cajun

PEtrader

Quote from: DOGALUM on March 19, 2015, 01:55:25 am

He loves them too much

AcornHunter

Careful!  One bites ya the bit part'll rot off.

hogcard1964

Quote from: DOGALUM on March 19, 2015, 01:55:25 am

No, I just don't want them messing up the dogs.  We have a small one and an older one that's almost completely blind next door.  I don't want to have to start shooting them regularly.

lahawg1

Possum can be bad, heard tails of them whipping a coon.....I have a .22 Benjamin pellet gun that works good on them

DeltaBoy

Live Trap and shoot it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogcard1964

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 26, 2015, 11:59:16 am
Live Trap and shoot it.

Is it really necesarry to kill them?  Btw, we do have a den nearby.  I'm seeing two or three everyday now.

These things really stink also.

DOGALUM

Quote from: hogcard1964 on March 26, 2015, 12:48:19 pm
Is it really necesarry to kill them?  Btw, we do have a den nearby.  I'm seeing two or three everyday now.

Yes.   Yes it really is.   

hogcard1964

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 26, 2015, 05:30:10 pm
Napalm.

The smell is much better.

Especially in the morning.

Great movie

DeltaBoy

Yes cause they come back.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

PorkRinds

Yeah, it pretty much is.  They reproduce like crazy and if you don't kill them your problem will likely get worse.

LSUFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 30, 2015, 02:02:02 pm
Yeah, it pretty much is.  They reproduce like crazy and if you don't kill them your problem will likely get worse.
Sound like a topic for Poloticks Board.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: LSUFan on March 30, 2015, 03:33:56 pm
Sound like a topic for Poloticks Board.

Wonder what would happen if I moved this thread over there?   ;D
We don't rent pigs

hogcard1964

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 30, 2015, 02:02:02 pm

Thanks

Hate to do it, but...

DeltaBoy

Brother is a necessary deed that must be done.   Live Trap them go out to a rural area and shoot them dead. 

HawgWild

They're not going to go away on their own. I live trap or use the trusty old .410.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 31, 2015, 09:28:10 am
Brother is a necessary deed that must be done.   Live Trap them go out to a rural area and shoot them dead.

Or live trap them and fill a 55 gallon drum with water...

PEtrader

Just shoot them.  It is a lot of fun.

DeltaBoy

Albert Einswine

I corner them, step on their head and pull their tail until the spine separates at the neck. They thrash around for a bit and the tail curls and uncurls a few times until they go limp. Cheaper than bullets.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Wayne Watson

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 03, 2015, 06:20:38 am
I corner them, step on their head and pull their tail until the spine separates at the neck. They thrash around for a bit and the tail curls and uncurls a few times until they go limp. Cheaper than bullets.

And no blood.
We don't rent pigs

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Albert Einswine

I've dispatched coons the same way, but the hair on their tails makes it more difficult.

lahawg1

I had to take care of a big boar possum yesterday morning. The little Yorkie and Rat terrier we have had it cornered on the ground in out flower beds and now it's in the lake.....

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: LSUFan on March 18, 2015, 11:34:24 pm

My great-great grandfather loved eatin him som Opossum. Granny wouldn't let him cook it in the house though.
This is my non-signature signature.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 03, 2015, 09:50:03 am
My great-great grandfather loved eatin him som Opossum. Granny wouldn't let him cook it in the house though.
That is awesome!  I am grinning from ear to ear reading that.