Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next year

Started by cram224, January 31, 2018, 07:14:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: rude1 on February 02, 2018, 11:56:38 am
Next year's theme will be, "Give them time, they are young"!!!!! At what point can we expect actual results, you know things like consistent top 25 ranking, playing for decent seed instead of struggling to stay ahead of the bubble, staying in and winning road games, and competing for conference title instead locked in battle for middle of the pack?

I threw my .10 in.  If we're not markedly better in the 2019-20 season, then my ears are deaf to the excuses.  I get it...it took a bit for us to dig our way out of the hole, re-establish ourselves, fill BWA on at least the bigger games, and get kids to want to come here.  I will even say those are actual REASONS why it may have taken a little longer. 

That is ALL in place now, and Mike either has to coach them up better, get more talent, or get them to play harder...or a combination of all three.  Doesn't matter...the reasons for lagging are now in the past, and the excuses in the future are just that...excuses.  With our arena, fan support, spending, and yes...reputation, we should be in the tournament 4 out of 5 years, and advance at least to the 2nd round 3 of those, and get further 1.  Anything less than that, and I truly believe we're underachieving. 

But...I accept that it could get worse with the next coach.  We've seen that happen too.  But...that's enough loyalty and stability for MA to be at the peak of his ability by year 9...and time to move on if we don't progress.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HogBreath

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 11:11:59 am
I'm a MA supporter(as you should be) who can also recognize his faults.  I don't disagree with everything said here but if you think we should be top 20 every year, you aren't paying attention.  Florida won back to back championships in 06 and 07 and are struggling to stay top 20.  Kentucky is always making elite 8's and they are struggling to stay top 20.  We haven't made a sweet 16 since 1995 and we are supposed to be top 20 every year? Based on what? Because we have a new practice facility? 
But since we didn't win back to back championships like Florida did, and don't always make the elite eight like Kentucky,  that makes your point null and void.  We all know not the same teams make it every year.  Who else did or didn't make it has nothing to do with our situation.

Sixteen teams make the sweet sixteen every year, ninety six of them have done it since CMA has been the coach here.  Not one of those 96 teams have been the Hogs, that's the problem we'd like to see improved upon.  No one cares at all if Florida or Kentucky have fell off.  Glad they have.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

sadhogfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 31, 2018, 07:24:07 am
If Mediocre Mike can't get us to the NCAA Tournament this year, we for sure won't make it next year. So how in the world can you keep a coach going into his 9th season with only 2 NCAA Tournament appearances? 

That's why it would probably be best just to move on from him at the end of this year after he fails to finish strong and make the NCAAT.

So what will your argument be when we make the tournament this year?

The_Iceman

Quote from: sadhogfan on February 02, 2018, 08:28:08 pm
So what will your argument be when we make the tournament this year?

You keep him. Which is why I state "if he doesn't make the tournament. "

Section B

Quote from: cram224 on January 31, 2018, 07:14:11 am
It's time to start looking too next year with the great recruiting class coming. We lose all three starting guards. Who will be able to run the dribble, dribble shoot offense that MA loves to run. Who is a ball handling guard that is on the team now that can take over next year? Who in the incoming class has the ball handling skills to beat the opposing teams press? These are real honest questions.

Unless they're MJ, Magic, Bird etc it won't matter.
Quote from: wocraig on February 23, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
"This is the beginning of a major character flaw with American society.
If this feeling of entitlement is allowed to fester, our republic will not be maintainable.
We need a grassroots movement encouraging personal responsibility and the reiteration that government only provides equality of opportunity... NOT EQUALITY OF OUTCOME." 

Amen brotha.

Rbill

Quote from: Paul on February 02, 2018, 04:56:40 pm
So in your opinion was it 1) faulty evaluation of recruits,  2) failure to develop  or 3) both?

I don't think it's any of those options. I want him to play the guys. Give them clear instructions for their role and play them. If you get Bailey confident and playing D and you get Jones confident in his shot, our team is better, and less tired. Do it.