Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this our best team ever?

Started by mj4president, March 26, 2017, 10:33:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mj4president

"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

JONAS

onebadrubi

We've had some really good teams, way too early to go down this road. 

Iwastherein1969

the Johnny Ray team was a hoss, I think that was '78...the boys of 2004 were just flat out winners...this team sorta reminds me of 2004...more than anything DVH is a man on a mission....last season left a bad taste in that man's mouth and he's out to change it

The long Grey line will never fail our country.

dotnet

TikiHog

Kevin

just easy up on this kind of talk
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CJ HOG

Check back around June 28th or so, ought to be clear by then...

LJHOG

PigWig

Imagine this team with Campbell, McKinney, and Scroggins....

JHGiunta

Quote from: PigWig on March 27, 2017, 08:01:21 am

This!  Sucks how things work out sometimes....

PorkRyan

Everyone seems to have a shortage of arms this year.  Florida has no bullpen.  Kentucky is throwing a guy on Sunday that is mid to lower 80's.   Velocity seems down across the board.  I think the issue is that every HS kid that was drafted in the first 10 rounds last year signed, except for two. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

It has been since Brett eibners last season that the bats were this good, and these look better than then.

The_Iceman

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 27, 2017, 09:56:04 am
Schmidt, Todd, Welker.
Also, a guy named Dallas Keuchel.  That 2007 team also included Danny Hamblin, Casey Coon, Logan Forsythe, Jake Dugger, Brian Walker, and one of my fav Hogs Ben Tschepikow.  Was a good team. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

bulldog04

This is probably my favorite lineup ever.  A true leadoff guy, guys that can mash, and a 9 hole hovering around 300.  The problem is Astin, Sanburn, or Suggs is not walking out of the bullpen

JHicks3636

Way too early to rank this team for history. Old geezers like me have an advantage from having seen some pretty good teams over the years. Don't forget that in 1979 we went to the finals of the NCAA World Series and lost a heartbreaker to Cal State Fullerton 2-1. No other team has matched that finish. Seven other Hig teams have been to the World Series so temper ranking this one until the end. By the way, the worst thing that sticks in my craw about the loss to Fullerton was they were coached by Augie Garrido in what I think was his last year there before going to Texas.

Scott7703

Quote from: bulldog04 on March 27, 2017, 11:00:25 am
This is probably my favorite lineup ever.  A true leadoff guy, guys that can mash, and a 9 hole hovering around 300.  The problem is Astin, Sanburn, or Suggs is not walking out of the bullpen

Agree with this. Add 2-3 quality arms (one Sunday starter and two for the pen) and this team very well could be the best. A good indicator is the depth. McFarland is hitting right at .300 and he has trouble breaking into the lineup.

elksnort

Quote from: mrp on March 27, 2017, 12:27:49 am
NO. 

Why?  Not enough pitching.
This^^^^. And I am not even a baseball guy. I would think that the pitching depth is the issue. We shall see.

bythelake

What year did Kevin McReynolds play?

BroyledNutts

Quote from: bythelake on March 27, 2017, 05:08:08 pm

I know 1980 & 81 for sure - he won the SWC Triple Crown in 80, and was drafted into the MLB in 81 ...

EDIT: I checked it - 1978 - 1981

Wisco Pig

Quote from: bythelake on March 27, 2017, 05:08:08 pm

1979-81.  The '79 squad was the first Razorback team to make the College World Series.

Edited to add:  Sorry, didn't see that BroyledNutts was working on a reply at the same time.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Wisco Pig on March 27, 2017, 05:17:58 pm
1979-81.  The '79 squad was the first Razorback team to make the College World Series.

Edited to add:  Sorry, didn't see that BroyledNutts was working on a reply at the same time.

You got it right - I didn't ... I thought he started playing for the Hogs in the fall of 1978 after winning the state baseball title, but according to my media guide it was 1979...

Wisco Pig

Quote from: BroyledNutts on March 27, 2017, 05:21:37 pm
You got it right - I didn't ... I thought he started playing for the Hogs in the fall of 1978 after winning the state baseball title, but according to my media guide it was 1979...

Thanks, and that reminds me -- if anyone wants the link to the 2017 Arkansas baseball media guide, here it is:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2017-Baseball-Media-Guide-FULL-PDF.pdf
It's a terrific resource and easily searchable.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: PigWig on March 27, 2017, 08:01:21 am

If we had those three, this team would be deadly. We have the bats and some good pitching but I don't think we have enough to make a deep run to Omaha.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

tennesseehogwild

McReynolds was a guest in the booth for one of our games. He mentioned that he was a freshman on the '79 National Runnerop team

Iwastherein1969

you guys all over Kevin McReynolds may need to look at Johnny Ray's major league stats compared to Kevin's....nothing against Kevin, I like him a lot but I fear that we are shorting Johnny Ray's ML career and in a big way....Kevin hit for more power but Johnny's batting average was almost 30 points higher
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 27, 2017, 10:48:59 pm
you guys all over Kevin McReynolds may need to look at Johnny Ray's major league stats compared to Kevin's....nothing against Kevin, I like him a lot but I fear that we are shorting Johnny Ray's ML career and in a big way....Kevin hit for more power but Johnny's batting average was almost 30 points higher

True but you would also have to consider how may RBI you had since the idea is to score runs.  A guy getting on base may well be a wasted hit.

John Snow

That 2007 team was stacked but ran into Oklahoma state team who corked their bats and hit some of the longest homeruns at Baum stadium. I wish DVH would of ask the umps to check the bats before we played that second game because we had the pitchers to beat them two days in a row.

Kevin

Quote from: John Snow on March 28, 2017, 11:54:30 am
That 2007 team was stacked but ran into Oklahoma state team who corked their bats and hit some of the longest homeruns at Baum stadium. I wish DVH would of ask the umps to check the bats before we played that second game because we had the pitchers to beat them two days in a row.

jess todd was really squeezed in the regional
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Surfing8 on March 28, 2017, 12:39:54 pm
Some current Okie State gear... unlike a lot of DeMarini teams it looks like they're taking advantage of the Custom Program.
http://i.imgur.com/59eoefO.jpg

That one has some nice jugs.