Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BREAKING NEWS: DANIEL STEGALL COMMITTS TO MIAMI

Started by BadDogGHSDogPound, January 22, 2006, 05:51:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

brooks74

Good Lord, what a crazy thread.  Congrats and good luck Daniel.  If he turns out to be a great player at the U, Arkansas isn't the only big time school that missed out.  Looks like no other SEC schools wanted him either. 

leggman131652002

unbelievable how some of the people on this board think..Everyone in the state should be happy that the kid is getting a chance to play big time football..just because some magazine didnt have him a all american doesnt mean anything..ya are so caught up with national media..that you wouldnt care if the kid was terrible as long as it pushed us up in the national rankings..

Stegall will play at Miami at some time during his career..may even have a better career than MM..who knows ...no one...not yet...and for some of ya to think hey lets sign him for a reciever..people the kid is a QB and a damn good one..

Unlike most of the poster on here..I have seen Stegall and Mustain both play and while MM is a little ahead of him right now..Stegall isnt too far behind..and he can make that up with hard work..

Some of ya are so selfish you would rather us have him and he sit on the bench for 4 years than for him to go somewhere else and play..

We got who we wanted ...so be happy....DS got a hell of an oppertunity ..so be happy for him

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

pheine78

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on January 22, 2006, 06:45:13 pm
What will now become interesting is how amazingly he will probably shoot up the recruiting ranks now that he's a Miami commit.

However, that's absolutely great for the kid. Hope he has one hell of a career there.
I agree, by this time tomorrow he will probably be a 3 star at least
Nolan for defensive coordinator!

HogFather

He is a great talent in baseball as well.  Yo BadDogGHS... do you know if he is going to play any baseball, or have the opportunity to get drafted?

hogsanity

This shows 2 things.  1.  Stegall had flown under the radar but if the Qb coach and COKER think he is worth a shot, then he obviously has some talent.  2.  It shows how thin the Qb talent pool is becoming in college FB.  IF MI FREAKING AMI has to go out at the 11th hour and make this kind of move, it is amazing.  Makes me thank the hogs lucky starts that MM is committed and that he does not play baseball.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

socalhogcaller

Quote from: JUMPIN JAHOGSAPHAT on January 22, 2006, 07:04:41 pm
When I read this recent news about Daniel, I had to laugh at myself.  I'm not a big Nutt fan, but what is interesting about this whole thing is that whenever we get the commitment from a kid who was being recruited or had committed previously to another school such as a Tulsa or a Louisiana-Monroe, I think that our coaching staff has lost its mind.  "We've wasted a scholarship.  We can never compete with these kind of recruits."  Now we see one of our own, who had not been heavily recruited and had committed to Ark. State, drawing interest or committing to a national power such as Miami, and instead of laughing at Miami and thinking "how could you make such a mistake?" I ask myself, "How could we have let this kid get away?  What happened to that fence around our state Nutt promised ?  I wonder if we could offer him a scholarship now or get him to visit?  If he is good enough for Miami, he is good enough for us."  If you visit Miami's message boards, some of the posts there sound very familiar to some I've read here.  Many of them view Daniel just like we view some of our commitments. After all, the value of a recruit is all based on "stars" isn't it?  And Daniel doesn't have allot of "stars."  Maybe, just maybe, our coaches see some things in a recruit that I don't see.  Maybe they are a better judge of talent than me, afterall!  I think when it comes to recruiting, I'll just keep my day job.

Applause for an honest and valid post.

hoggystyle78

Congratulations to Daniel, It couldn't have worked out any better for me as the Canes are one of my favorite 3 teams along with Michigan and number one OF COURSE, is the Hogs. I wish the young man the best of luck unless he plays the Hogs.

hogsanity

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on January 23, 2006, 11:52:49 am
Congratulations to Daniel, It couldn't have worked out any better for me as the Canes are one of my favorite 3 teams along with Michigan and number one OF COURSE, is the Hogs. I wish the young man the best of luck unless he plays the Hogs.

You are one sick dude.  Pick ONE team and be done with it.  Plus, could you pick too teams that are any easier to hate?  the canes and the wolverines.  Throw in the pink sox and its a trifecta of horror.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pioneer Fan

Someone made a good point earlier when saying that MIAMI will sign another quarterback, and a top one at that, every year for as long as Stegall is there. I am sure he is a supremely confident athlete, but what will happen when a Parade All-American or two gets signed in the next few years? Do we really think a two star recruit is going to get preferential treatment because he was there first?

Casey Dick is a good example. He is a fine quarterback but Mustain will be the man, if not next year, then in 2007. And Dick is then relegated to the backup role. I would be very surprised if we ever see Stegall take a meaningful snap at Miami.

I for one, thought it was a recruiting coup when Stegall committed to ASU. I wish he would change his mind and take the Indians to a different level. I may be in the minority, but would love to see ASU succeed and think Stegall is a big step in that direction.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

BadDogGHSDogPound

Quote from: HogFather on January 23, 2006, 10:42:33 am
He is a great talent in baseball as well. Yo BadDogGHS... do you know if he is going to play any baseball, or have the opportunity to get drafted?

He's going to meet with the Miami baseball coaches while on his official visit this weekend is what I hear. There's no promise he'll get to play baseball, but he's hoping too.
2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2023 State Football Champions Greenwood Bulldogs. Follow The Bulldogs On www.GreenwoodDogPound.com

Ugly Uncle

Talked to  a Greenwood coach tonight.  Daniel was told that he couldn't play baseball for the first two years at Miami.  However, he is hoping and believes that as long as he just pitches (no playing in the field) they may let him do that.

Miami offered on Saturday.  Basically what has already been stated here.  He was excited about ASU...felt good about it, then the coach from ULM called him (the one hired by Miami) along with the Miami HC (when he saw the tape he was floored by DS) and offered.  He accepted and is taking a trip out there Friday.  So, no real new news here.

He did tell me, "for all those that think that Daniel can't throw the deep ball, get footage of the Shiloh game."

Coach said he was the best that he had ever seen in highschool...on tape and in person.  He said that Daniel runs a 4.5.  He also said he can't figure out any reason why Arkansas would not be interested in this kid...especially during the MM saga.  He told me that Daniel is very athletic and very physical.  That he will hurt you before you hurt him.  He also mentioned that in his opinion he could play a DB or WR...he is that good of an athlete.

I think DS made the right choice.  I say again, I hope that we see him and M-16 matched up in a BCS bowl in 2-3 yrs.
Retired Radio Host

TDHog

Stegall is the real deal, the reason he wasn't more highly sought after was because he did not attend any summer clincs where college coaches swoon and rival does there ranking.  Bottom line, I believe he is the only high school player ever in AAAA or AAAAA to pass for over 2,000 yards, and rush for over 1,000 two years in a row.

TerryD

There are strong rumors that QB Pat Devlin will decommit from Miami and commit to Penn State.

That is why Miami all of a sudden began to recruit Stegall in a hurry.

hoggystyle78

The Hogs are by far and away the only team in college FB that I live and die with, but I do also like Michigan and Miami. The 2 sports teams that I follow and love are the Hogs and the Red Sox, if you have a problem with that you can suck a knot on my ass!
Quote from: hogsanity on January 23, 2006, 01:03:12 pm
Quote from: hoggystyle78 on January 23, 2006, 11:52:49 am

You are one sick dude. Pick ONE team and be done with it. Plus, could you pick too teams that are any easier to hate? the canes and the wolverines. Throw in the pink sox and its a trifecta of horror.

hawkeyefan17

This reminds me of the recruitment of Matt Pipho an Iowa kid who committed to Miami in last years class. Iowa did not even offer the kid. Iowa boards were screaming "Miami offered the kid but he isn't good enough for Iowa?" Iowa was in on some other big time offensive lineman so they never offered him. Iowa ended up getting Dace Richardson and Dan Doering, in some cases were rated higher than Pipho.

Same thing here with Stegall and his recruitment. The fact is Arkansas had bigger things on their plate than Daniel Stegall. If Arkansas had gotten Stegall and not Mustain everyone would be upset. I am sure that Stegall is a great kid and a great player but Arkansas probably does not have room for him. He gets looked at by the right guy and is now headed to Miami.

Good for Stegall and I hope he does well.

SportsHog

You are correct......
Quote from: TDHog on January 24, 2006, 01:19:30 am
Stegall is the real deal, the reason he wasn't more highly sought after was because he did not attend any summer clincs where college coaches swoon and rival does there ranking. Bottom line, I believe he is the only high school player ever in AAAA or AAAAA to pass for over 2,000 yards, and rush for over 1,000 two years in a row.