Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting story on 2016 recruit Cole Kelley

Started by lakers1017, October 23, 2015, 09:30:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lakers1017

"Three shots were fired. One hit Will in the back of the neck, one hit Cole Kelley in the left ankle and one struck Austin Rivault in the back of the head, tragically ending his life."

I had no idea he had been shot before.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2015/10/22/after-facing-death-best-friends-face-off-field/74059764/

Hog_Swanson

Wish I could read the story.  The link is blocked up here at work.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

RME

onebadrubi

That's buzarre that the shooter only got 13 months in jail

dffhogs

In July, Fontenot was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 13 months in prison.

That seems kind of lite....

welchog

Quote from: dffhogs on October 23, 2015, 10:26:15 am
In July, Fontenot was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 13 months in prison.

That seems kind of lite....

Totally agree.  If I were CK, I would want to be as far away from that town next year as possible.

HognVA

Non violent low level drug crime has much harsher mandatory sentences. Something's not right there.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Danny J

Quote from: HognVA on October 23, 2015, 11:14:46 am
Non violent low level drug crime has much harsher mandatory sentences. Something's not right there.
My family and I discuss this very issue all the time. Get caught with a small amount of Meth? 5 years in prison. Murder? Plea deal for 10 years...out in 3. I think some of it has to do with federal funding of local government programs but I don't know enough of the specifics.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Danny J on October 23, 2015, 11:49:23 am
My family and I discuss this very issue all the time. Get caught with a small amount of Meth? 5 years in prison. Murder? Plea deal for 10 years...out in 3. I think some of it has to do with federal funding of local government programs but I don't know enough of the specifics.

Sorry, but getting caught with a small amount of meth doesn't get you 5 years in prison.  In fact, it usually doesn't get any prison time at all. 

WorfHog

Quote from: HognVA on October 23, 2015, 11:14:46 am

If you dig into it you'll find that Seth Fontenot, the shooter, had a very good attorney.  The prosecutors basically blew the case and they decided to forgo use of the firearm sentencing statute which would have dictated a longer minimum sentence.  Such a tragedy for all involved. It's the kind of thing that happens when you allow very stupid 18 year old's unlimited access to weapons. I'd wager Mr. Fontenot never took any kind of gun training program. If he had, he'd have learned that you NEVER point a gun and especially fire a gun at someone unless you intend to use lethal force. In my opinion the prosecutor failed in this case. Just another day in the American Justice system.

onebadrubi

Quote from: WorfHog on October 23, 2015, 06:03:35 pm
If you dig into it you'll find that Seth Fontenot, the shooter, had a very good attorney.  The prosecutors basically blew the case and they decided to forgo use of the firearm sentencing statute which would have dictated a longer minimum sentence.  Such a tragedy for all involved. It's the kind of thing that happens when you allow very stupid 18 year old's unlimited access to weapons. I'd wager Mr. Fontenot never took any kind of gun training program. If he had, he'd have learned that you NEVER point a gun and especially fire a gun at someone unless you intend to use lethal force. In my opinion the prosecutor failed in this case. Just another day in the American Justice system.

The guy shot probably max 6-8 rounds and hit all three targets he was aiming for.  I bet 75% of the police force couldn't do that to a moving vehicle. Something is extremely fishy for that kid to only get 13 months when tried as an adult.

theFlyingHog

Um, I think he meant to use lethal force. He didn't start shooting people on accident...

flippinhogmana

I had a city prosecutor tell me once (I was a city manager at the time and was trying to promote a better relationship between him and the police department) that he expecting to be outgunned about every time he went to court if an opposing attorney shows up (in this case we are talking about just traffic court).  He said the police officers are the most uneducated, dumbest of the dumbest, etc., etc.  He elaborated that he had failed in nearly every attempt on how to get them to preserve evidence, how to maintain the record, how to write tickets properly that wouldn't get thrown out in court.  He said they were much more unreliable when it came to criminal cases.

While I recognized that the PA had an axe to grind, and there was two sides of the story, I did some investigating and came to realize that in most cases, particularly in poorer states, small town and more rural counties, the lack of money to pay competent public employees means anyone with any aptitude (including attorneys a lot of the time) seek employment elsewhere.  The attorneys might serve a short hitch in the public sector to gain experience, make contacts and build a resume, but they are often over matched in cases like this one.  Everything I learned in twenty years of service since then has confirmed that general observation.

This scenario is not always true to be sure.  There are rich counties, cities and states where the public sector makes as much or more than the private entities, at least except the very best.  New Orleans and the area around it also has its own reputation separate from anywhere else.  Probably everyone of us knows of a town in their state where the normal rules dont apply, and as the poster said, you want to live as far from them as possible.  There are a few towns in Northern Arkansas where I wouldnt want to live and very fishy things have happened, some worse than this with lesser penalties, sometimes no trials at all.

Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hoglady

This is what people talk about when discussing sentencing disparity based on race and class.
Does anyone think if this was a poor kid (no matter his color) with a public defender that he wouldn't be facing somewhere around 40 years.
The kid would have been labeled a thug from the start and his life would be over.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

onebadrubi

Quote from: hoglady on October 24, 2015, 11:00:31 am
This is what people talk about when discussing sentencing disparity based on race and class.
Does anyone think if this was a poor kid (no matter his color) with a public defender that he wouldn't be facing somewhere around 40 years.
The kid would have been labeled a thug from the start and his life would be over.

Yup that's it.  Since you know so much about this case please tell us how this was justified?  Because if there is not even a Bs scapegoat excuse somewhere it wouldn't be allowed.  You have no clue what went on so quit being a race baiter. 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hoglady on October 24, 2015, 11:00:31 am
Darwin.