Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Layne Hatcher

Started by yraciv, September 23, 2015, 10:48:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

September 23, 2015, 10:48:39 am Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:57:00 pm by yraciv
Looks like PA has another stud QB coming through the system. Last week he went 26/29 for 600 yards and 8 TD against Warren, and the week before he was 22/27 w/ 535 yards and 7 TD.  And throw in the fact he shredded a Highland Park defense in week one, a team in Texas that hadn't lost a home game since 1998.  Certainly impressive stuff from a SO, and some state passing records may be ready to fall.

Anyone got anything else on him? I know he is a small QB, 5'10, so wonder if he is expected to grow. His sister played for the Hogs basketball team, and is about the same height.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: yraciv on September 23, 2015, 10:48:39 am
Looks like PA has another stud QB coming through the system. Last week he went 26/29 for 600 yards and 8 TD against Warren, and the week before he was 22/27 w/ 535 yards and 7 TD.  And throw in the fact he shredded a Highland Park defense in week one, a team in Texas that hadn't lost a home game since 1998.  Certainly impressive stuff from a SO, and some state passing records may be ready to fall.

Anyone got anything else on him? I know he is a small QB, so wonder if he is expected to grow. His sister played for the Hogs, and is about the same height.

Those are video game numbers! Need to keep an eye on this guy. I don't care if he is only 5'2".
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Porkys Revenge

I think his dad is Greg Hatcher. He's probably been playing in his own private practice facility since birth, which is good.

hawgwild child

Well hes only a Soph. so he could probably put on a couple of more inches i would hope.  Either way those are some dang good numbers to be putting up for just a sophmore

Tusks

Quote from: hawgwild child on September 23, 2015, 04:36:12 pm
Well hes only a Soph. so he could probably put on a couple of more inches i would hope.  Either way those are some dang good numbers to be putting up for just a sophmore

I'd take a Drew Brees clone in a heartbeat.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

bigdaddyhawg

Looks like PA has another stud QB coming through the system.

I've forgotten -- where are their previous "stud QB's" currently playing??
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

OLDHOG

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 23, 2015, 07:50:12 pm
yep, product of the system perhaps?

jackflash

If I could chose a clone for a QB it would be Matt Jones

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jackflash on September 23, 2015, 08:02:59 pm
If I could chose a clone for a QB it would be Matt Jones

I loved watching Matt play, very entertaining, but AYSM???

His throwing hardly improved his entire time here. And I don't blame Hootie for that, either.

Matt should have been an AA, first round draft pick at QB. He just wasn't serious about improving.

Worst throwing mechanics ever. Made Vince Young look like Troy Aikman.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jackflash

bigdaddyhawg I agree with some of the things you say. But in the day of mobile QB can you name me somebody better than him. He would be awesome for us

razorhog52

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 23, 2015, 07:50:12 pm

Stephen Loucks went to Tex Tech but didn't start. One kid was a 4 year started at Kent St. I think their most recent QB just signed with Tulsa, I think Hefley is his name. Of course Freddi Knighten is a A State. No standouts, but 4 D1 QB prospects in the last 10 years at a small private school is pretty good.

yraciv

Quote from: jackflash on September 23, 2015, 09:50:33 pm
bigdaddyhawg I agree with some of the things you say. But in the day of mobile QB can you name me somebody better than him. He would be awesome for us

Ryan Mallett and I followed Matt Jones from 9th grade up.  Was Matt more fun to watch and clutch. Sure, but end of the day I'm taking the quarterback with the gun for an arm as long as I have a competent offensive line.

jackflash

Mallett would have been my second choice but today running QB are making as big difference in the game. Look at Miss. State its not Prescott arm winning those games it him Running.

yraciv

Quote from: razorhog52 on September 23, 2015, 10:11:56 pm
Stephen Loucks went to Tex Tech but didn't start. One kid was a 4 year started at Kent St. I think their most recent QB just signed with Tulsa, I think Hefley is his name. Of course Freddi Knighten is a A State. No standouts, but 4 D1 QB prospects in the last 10 years at a small private school is pretty good.

Spencer Keith is the one that ended up at Kent State.  Will Heffley is the one that just ended up at Tulsa.  I have never seen him play and only seen a couple highlight videos, but those numbers are absurd and haven't come against what I'd consider slouch opponents.  That is why I was trying to get some insight from those who've seen him and how they think he compares to the ones before him. 

Given his sister was a Razorback and the fact that mostly all QB in this pipeline end up playing Division 1 ball, I'd say he is definitely one to keep an eye on.

hawgmasta

Get that kid some extra shots of HGH and sign em up!

mizzouman

Quote from: hawgwild child on September 23, 2015, 04:36:12 pm
A sophomore by grade. 

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

mizzouman

ARtillahog

Kevin Kelley has implemented a new "Rugby" style offense this year.  It incorporates receivers lateralling the ball on almost every play.  He is still doing his onside kick always and hardly ever punt, but the lateral is something new.  I believe the article called it "controlled chaos".

Anyways, I say all that to speculate this might be the reason for the high number of completions and TDs.  They make high percentage throws and then lateral out of that, makes an undisciplined defense even worse.  I don't advocate for Kelley at all, I think it's gimmick football designed to work at the high school level.  If that's where he wants to stay for the entirety of his career, good for him.  I just think there's a reason you haven't seen him try to go to the next level.

mizzouman

Quote from: ARtillahog on September 24, 2015, 08:44:36 am
Kevin Kelley has implemented a new "Rugby" style offense this year.  It incorporates receivers lateralling the ball on almost every play.  He is still doing his onside kick always and hardly ever punt, but the lateral is something new.  I believe the article called it "controlled chaos".

Anyways, I say all that to speculate this might be the reason for the high number of completions and TDs.  They make high percentage throws and then lateral out of that, makes an undisciplined defense even worse.  I don't advocate for Kelley at all, I think it's gimmick football designed to work at the high school level.  If that's where he wants to stay for the entirety of his career, good for him.  I just think there's a reason you haven't seen him try to go to the next level.
Right.  It's exciting and fun to watch at the high school level, but wouldn't work at the D1 level.  Also, not sure how much this prepares his kids to play at the D1 level.  I know PA has had a few kids go on and do well at the D1 level, but nothing at a very high level except for Luigs and HH.  But, 2 from a small school isn't bad.

LJHOG

Looks like PA has another stud QB coming through the system.
Another?  When was the first one?

Grizzlyfan

How much of the lateral stuff has actually happened so far?

ARtillahog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on September 24, 2015, 09:35:38 am
How much of the lateral stuff has actually happened so far?

I honestly could not tell you.  I have not seen them play, I only have the info I provided from an ESPN article about Kelley adding that element to his game plan.  (Paraphrasing) Kelley said that if you practice the lateral instead of trying to get more people blocking after the catch, then each defender is now worried about multiple ball carriers instead of being able to swarm to just one.  It opens up more running lanes in the secondary and allows for more missed tackles.

bigdaddyhawg

Kevin Kelley has implemented a new "Rugby" style offense this year.  It incorporates receivers lateralling the ball on almost every play. 

The "Mickey Mouse offense" has taken on a whole new meaning!!

He is still doing his onside kick always and hardly ever punt, but the lateral is something new. 

But I do give these guys full respect for putting into the game what they believed would be a plan to help them win.  I think this is brilliant, and every statistical study I've read says this is a better way of playing the game.

I'd love to see some P5 coach give it a serious try!!  IMO that would be much fun!!

Actually, I hate to give the Gus Worshippers any ideas, but I always thought that Gus should use this system.  It would put so much more pressure on opposing defenses, and it would serve to give his defenses more rest than they usually get -- a "win/win" IMO.

Doubt it'll ever happen though.  Coaches are usually too worried about keeping their multi-million dollar jobs -- I'm sure I'd be the same!!!

onebadrubi

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 23, 2015, 09:43:33 pm
I loved watching Matt play, very entertaining, but AYSM???

His throwing hardly improved his entire time here. And I don't blame Hootie for that, either.

Matt should have been an AA, first round draft pick at QB. He just wasn't serious about improving.

Worst throwing mechanics ever. Made Vince Young look like Troy Aikman.

He had a pretty serious throwing injury though was was kept hush hush.  He speaks about it occasionally now and said he lost a lot of his zip and arm strength. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 24, 2015, 11:38:29 am
He had a pretty serious throwing injury though was was kept hush hush.  He speaks about it occasionally now and said he lost a lot of his zip and arm strength. 

Not surprising, since his throwing motion was always against the flow of his body.  Still, that's on him.

ARtillahog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 24, 2015, 11:32:06 am
But I do give these guys full respect for putting into the game what they believed would be a plan to help them win.  I think this is brilliant, and every statistical study I've read says this is a better way of playing the game.

I'd love to see some P5 coach give it a serious try!!  IMO that would be much fun!!

Actually, I hate to give the Gus Worshippers any ideas, but I always thought that Gus should use this system.  It would put so much more pressure on opposing defenses, and it would serve to give his defenses more rest than they usually get -- a "win/win" IMO.

Doubt it'll ever happen though.  Coaches are usually too worried about keeping their multi-million dollar jobs -- I'm sure I'd be the same!!!

I'm not taking anything away from Kelley, he's finding a way to beat teams no matter how cheap or gimmicky they may seem.  However, I think in any P5 team is going to have athletes that can cover more space than some high school kids in Arkansas can.  I would assume that having that many laterals the chances for a lost possession would significantly increase.

I just get hate how it seems the game is going to a super offensive game where it essentially turns into basketball.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ARtillahog on September 24, 2015, 01:57:21 pm
I just get hate how it seems the game is going to a super offensive game where it essentially turns into basketball.

Me X a million.  I hate the HUNH, and I hate all the love the media has for it -- "they ran that last play at 13 seconds!!"  Who gives a rat's behind??  The fact the play ended in a three yard loss is of no consequence!!

yraciv

Love everything about the HUNH and all the statistical analysis I've seen about Kelley always going for 4th down makes me think it would work too if a coach had enough balls to do it at the college football level or an AD agreed to hire a coach that would implement it. 

I have no idea about this new Rugby style, but I admire Kelley's creativity.  He truly thinks outside the box of traditional coaching.  When it comes to Layne I have no idea how it affects his numbers. Still can't believe there are no PA fans on this board.  The highlights I've seen of him did not incorporate any laterals though, so I'm assuming it's pretty much the same PA offense with a new wrinkle they bring out a handful of times each game.

Fan1958

Quote from: yraciv on September 24, 2015, 08:18:15 pm
Love everything about the HUNH and all the statistical analysis I've seen about Kelley always going for 4th down makes me think it would work too if a coach had enough balls to do it at the college football level or an AD agreed to hire a coach that would implement it. 

I have no idea about this new Rugby style, but I admire Kelley's creativity.  He truly thinks outside the box of traditional coaching.  When it comes to Layne I have no idea how it affects his numbers. Still can't believe there are no PA fans on this board.  The highlights I've seen of him did not incorporate any laterals though, so I'm assuming it's pretty much the same PA offense with a new wrinkle they bring out a handful of times each game.

If it would somebody would be doing it.
Conservatives have always proudly proclaimed themselves to be conservative.  Liberals are now "Progressives"?  Must be terrible to have to hide what you really are.

I like smites.  That's how I know I'm really pissing off the "Progressives".

LRrazorback

Quote from: Fan1958 on September 29, 2015, 09:31:24 am
If it would somebody would be doing it.

Never been tried. We don't know

PorkRinds

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 29, 2015, 11:16:40 am
Never been tried. We don't know

Wearing pink tutus for uniforms hasn't been tried yet either, so it could be a winning strategy.  We don't know.

scruf

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on September 24, 2015, 12:03:23 pm
Not surprising, since his throwing motion was always against the flow of his body.  Still, that's on him.
He played through an injury that sidelined a lot of quarterbacks because he wanted to win so I guess that's on him too. Jeez.

LRrazorback

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 29, 2015, 11:30:38 am
Wearing pink tutus for uniforms hasn't been tried yet either, so it could be a winning strategy.  We don't know.

Makes a lot of sense. -1

Rocket23

I have seen them play twice vs Warren and McClellan and not noticed the rugby pass utilized.  Layne is definitely a quarterback in a system, but he can also wing it.  Very nice arm for a sophomore.

A lot of Kelly's success is due to his attention to detail and precision of execution.  He is a lot like Petrino in that regard. 

Quote from: ARtillahog on September 24, 2015, 01:57:21 pm
I'm not taking anything away from Kelley, he's finding a way to beat teams no matter how cheap or gimmicky they may seem.  However, I think in any P5 team is going to have athletes that can cover more space than some high school kids in Arkansas can.  I would assume that having that many laterals the chances for a lost possession would significantly increase.

Rocket23

And also add Broderick Green to the major D1 list along with Luigs and Henry .

Quote from: mizzouman on September 24, 2015, 08:54:43 am
Right.  It's exciting and fun to watch at the high school level, but wouldn't work at the D1 level.  Also, not sure how much this prepares his kids to play at the D1 level.  I know PA has had a few kids go on and do well at the D1 level, but nothing at a very high level except for Luigs and HH.  But, 2 from a small school isn't bad.

oldman1015

it works

it work's better if you are almost always the better team.  lets just say bama had not punted the last 10 year or Arkansas had not. which team would it have worked for more often?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

yraciv

Any word on the type of interest Hatcher is getting? Seems awfully quiet for a young man who is about to win his 3rd state championship and is breaking all the Arkansas passing records.

Doubt he will walk on here, which is his only choice since we're full of QB, but maybe with the right coach he'd get a shot. Has more the measurables than another similar style QB in John Stephen Jones who just got a Texas Tech offer.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on September 23, 2015, 12:55:44 pm
I think his dad is Greg Hatcher. He's probably been playing in his own private practice facility since birth, which is good.

This is true

Hollywood870

Coach Kelly for OC if Gus comes home.

razorcash2

okrazorback

I agree