Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The case for Tyler Wilson

Started by Iamphatman, January 09, 2013, 12:45:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iamphatman

This is a pretty good article from a KC Chiefs fan site that makes the case for Tyler as their Number one draft pick.  Pretty interesting, especially considering the mixed reactions he gets from his own Hog fans...

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1/9/3852120/tyler-wilson-chiefs-nfl-draft-pick-2013

Hawg94

As I have stated before, I think Tyler is a fine young man and tough as nails. However, I just don't see him as an NFL starting quarterback. The good news for Tyler is the fact that he is a quality person and would be a good team guy. This is not a knock on Tyler at all and I wish him nothing but the best.

Razorpigg

Quote from: Hawg94 on January 09, 2013, 12:53:40 pm
As I have stated before, I think Tyler is a fine young man and tough as nails. However, I just don't see him as an NFL starting quarterback. The good news for Tyler is the fact that he is a quality person and would be a good team guy. This is not a knock on Tyler at all and I wish him nothing but the best.

Hmmm really..... Fill us in on what YOU think are qualities of an NFL quarterback.  Please Im dying to know...

Iamphatman

I think his 2011 season showed signs of an NFL quarterback.  Last season was a dumpster fire, and he wasn't equipped to put it out by himself.  I think he will do decently well in the pros unless he gets on a team without an O-line, and then he will be concussioned out of the league.

RazrRila99

KC needs to get Luke Joekel if he is in fact coming out before going for a QB.  Id love for Tyler to be in KC, but he will get killed with this offensive line. 

HiggiePiggy

KC goes qb with number 1 pick this year then they should go on ahead and fire the new GM.  There is no qb coming out this year that should be picked number one overall.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

phadedhawg

Wilson could be a good NFL QB but he hasn't had the chance to prove it consistantly.  Last year was terrible on so many levels.  I wouldn't want my team to draft him with their first pick...

Iamphatman

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 09, 2013, 01:27:54 pm
Wilson could be a good NFL QB but he hasn't had the chance to prove it consistantly.  Last year was terrible on so many levels.  I wouldn't want my team to draft him with their first pick...

I think they'd be crazy to take him first. They need a line before they get a qb. They could probably gt him 2nd or 3rd round and stack up their o-line with people like Barrett Jones from Bama first. Not sure what will happen, but I like that he gets more love from out of state than he gets here. 

jkstock04

I don't know for certain how well Wilson will do in the nfl....buy what I do know is the chiefs are hurting badly at the qb spot. They could do a lot worse than Wilson.

I think his biggest weakness is gonna be arm strength/the long ball. His mechanics this year arguably took a back seat....but I still think he has a big upside for the nfl. The potential is for sure there.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

weresoclose

Quote from: Razorpigg on January 09, 2013, 12:56:39 pm
Hmmm really..... Fill us in on what YOU think are qualities of an NFL quarterback.  Please Im dying to know...

1.  Big Arm
2.  Great at going through progressions
3.  Ability to see the entire field
4.  Ability to read defenses and audible the right play
5.  Ability to throw the precision pass down the sidelines, not just over the middle

Those are starters.

870hogfan

So glad we got armchair scouts in here...

ldfergu

I'm a hogs/chiefs guy and drafting TW #1 will not happen.  The chefs have made bad QB choices year after year and this would not help the franchise.  I've loved the great memories TW has given to the fanbase but I really don't think he has it between the ears to make it in the NFL.  For him to be given a fighting chance he will need to be thrown into a Mallett type situation IMO.  The chefs have been a dumpster fire at the QB position for quite sometime and, unfortunately, there aren't any kids in the draft class to fix it.  I'm hopeful they make a trade for RM but that would prob make too much sense to the KC front office.  Hopefully Andy Reid gets someone good.

Also, not playa hatin' on TW.  He just ain't the chiefs answer

rude1

TW isn't an Overall No. 1 pick, nor a first rounder at all in all likelihood. His mechanics without BP to chew his ass this season fell all apart. Arm strength is questionable, consistently under throws the deep ball, and the amount of concussions he has sustained in only two years of starting will be a concern too.  With that said, I think he is an NFL caliber backup and should be able to stick in the league for several years as that.

ldfergu

Quote from: rude1 on January 09, 2013, 04:11:53 pm
TW isn't an Overall No. 1 pick, nor a first rounder at all in all likelihood. His mechanics without BP to chew his ass this season fell all apart. Arm strength is questionable, consistently under throws the deep ball, and the amount of concussions he has sustained in only two years of starting will be a concern too.  With that said, I think he is an NFL caliber backup and should be able to stick in the league for several years as that.
Agreed.  Sometimes folks just let their hog love get in the way.  Understandable

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: weresoclose on January 09, 2013, 03:34:16 pm
1.  Big Arm
5.  Ability to throw the precision pass down the sidelines, not just over the middle

Those are starters.

I agree with this list...however, there aren't but a handful of NFL qb's that are capable of more than a couple of these--much less all of them.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Beaverfever

I'm no pro scout but if it were my job on the line I'd be reluctant to draft Wilson in the first round, let alone first pick.  This is definitely a year to play it safe with the first pick and get a lineman or something. 

bennyl08

For those interested,

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1/8/3853756/2013-nfl-draft-qb-prospects-analysis

is also a good read analyzing the top 10 qb's in his opinion in a thorough and logical manner. He sees Wilson as a legitimate franchise player, but probably not one who would fit in well with Andy Reid's offense. I think he could do really well with the Cardinals. He has a strong defense that will keep him from having to play catchup all season long (which is when he tends to force things and throw more ints.) He will have one of the best receivers in the game along with a decent #2 and some talented though oft injured running backs.

Either way, if I was KC, I would trade down to around pick #10 with a second first round pick. Draft and OL prospect early, and then a qb later in the first. They have top end talent at several key positions. Really, their team just needs a leader and a direction, which Reid and a franchise qb can give them.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Brand X Hog Fan

Good read. Tyler could walk in to Arrowhead and do a better job than anyone they have there now. I guess it depends on what the big boys see in his workouts and the combine as to how high a team like KC will go. I'd like to see him there. Close to home, loyal fan base (within reason) and it will give me a good reason to go to Arrowhead without my Seahawks gear on.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Buff

People forget that Wilson, like the QB before him, had NFL-quality coaching in college.  He has already been coached to make pre-snap reads, change routes or plays, and go through progressions each down.  He regressed somewhat his last season here without that teacher in his ear after every possession but some offensive-minded coach has got to be loving the potential he has just because of the coaching he's received in college, relative to what other spread-focused schools do.

First thing i would need to know is can Tyler quit the sidearm delivery and was it just a bad habit or was he hurt to the point of thats the only way he can throw and it not hurt. 

Tyler was beat up bad in his one season of real play and then this past season of ignorant play.  Truth is I don't think anyone knows what Tyler is capable of at this point in his career.  The last I seen of him, he looked 3rd round or worse.  Maybe if hes healed up and redirected, he could be the darling of the combines. 

I liked Tyler when it wasn't cool to like him and I still like him.  But in the business of the NFL, he didn't look like top management toward the end of his college career.

sickboy

Quote from: phadedhawg on January 09, 2013, 01:27:54 pm

How many quarterbacks over the years HAVE proven at the college level and then turn out to be a bust. It's a gamble either way.

Wilson has what it takes to be a starter in the NFL. He's just got to take advantage of his skills and work for it.

Ramtough

I'm a huge chiefs fan and think we have to get help on the O-line first and then another good WR. Tyler will be there in the 2nd round or maybe the 3rd if we want him. Tyler keeps the ball in play with his accuracy and thats what you need on the next level.

hawgsalot

What I find funny is the NFL guys love wilson but are nervous about concussions.  This board acts like he's Casey dick because he didn't have 2 unbelievable seasons when his coach and team fell completely apart.

FSHog67

TW will not be there in the 2nd round.  We know why some on here are not NFL scouts.

HiggiePiggy

He had a really good season even with the team sucking as bad as they did. I think he will go in the late first round.  Hoping to a team that has a qb in place so he can sit and learn more. 

ldfergu

Quote from: FSHog67 on January 09, 2013, 09:12:36 pm
TW will not be ther
e in the 2nd round.  We know why some on here are not NFL scouts.
Uhh, yeah, he will. And probably much longer than that.  Don't let hoglove completely cloud ur judgement

Pigsknuckles

Sounding a lot like the Gratuitous Mallett Thread all of a sudden. So who starts first?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

GoHogs1091

I am not a Chiefs fan, but as I see it, the Chiefs need to get the following in the upcoming Draft.

an Offensive Tackle
a QB
a RB
a WR
a DT
a Safety

I presume with their #1 overall pick, they will pick Left Tackle Luke Joeckel.  In the 2nd Round, if Tyler is available then they may pick Tyler in Round 2.  In the 3rd Round, I could see them picking a Safety.  They need to get Eric Berry some help at the other Safety position.  Alabama's Robert Lester, or Georgia's Bacarri Rambo are projected by 1 Mock Draft to go in the 3rd Round, and they both should be available in the 3rd Round when Kansas City picks in the 3rd Round. 

If Kansas City doesn't pick a Safety in the 3rd Round, then I could see them picking a WR in the 3rd Round, especially if they part ways with WR Dwayne Bowe.         

alohawg

1.  Big Arm

Those are starters.

Of these 5 which descibes Tyler?
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

BatesvilleHOG

To you idiots who think Tyler "doesnt have it between the ears" or "just isnt starting NFL QB material"...

You must be on some heroine type stuff cause when you type out your thoughts, all we see is "IM A STUPID IDIOT. KICK ME. I DONT KNOW FOOTBALL."

The ability to be so unrealistic and ignorance of some of you people.. WOW!!

SwazyHog

1.  Big Arm

Those are starters.
Good list...that's not Tyler Wilson.
"I felt like I owed it to the state. They let me come in and transfer here to Arkansas, and I felt like it wouldn't be fair after one year to just up and leave."

"This is your Public Service Announcement  for 2010: Remember, No One's Buckass Snitshit Crazier Than Arkansas Fans."

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 10, 2013, 01:17:21 am
I am not a Chiefs fan, but as I see it, the Chiefs need to get the following in the upcoming Draft.

an Offensive Tackle
a QB
a RB
a WR
a DT
a Safety

I presume with their #1 overall pick, they will pick Left Tackle Luke Joeckel.  In the 2nd Round, if Tyler is available then they may pick Tyler in Round 2.  In the 3rd Round, I could see them picking a Safety.  They need to get Eric Berry some help at the other Safety position.  Alabama's Robert Lester, or Georgia's Bacarri Rambo are projected by 1 Mock Draft to go in the 3rd Round, and they both should be available in the 3rd Round when Kansas City picks in the 3rd Round. 

If Kansas City doesn't pick a Safety in the 3rd Round, then I could see them picking a WR in the 3rd Round, especially if they part ways with WR Dwayne Bowe.         

They have a really good running back.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11307/jamaal-charles

870hogfan

Quote from: SwazyHog on January 10, 2013, 08:06:39 am
Good list...that's not Tyler Wilson.

Yes he is. My gosh, Tyler basically coached this team and he needs help. He had a terrible OL and still got back up after he gets hit big.

BrokenArrowHogs

Tyler is not a perfect NFL prospect, but he is very good and he has endeared himself to HOG fans (well, most of them). 

He is a better prospect than several QBs that have been selected in the first round the past few years.  IMO, based on what he produced on and off the field, he is a better bet than recent first-rounders:  Weeden, Gabbard, Locker, Tannehill, Ponder, Sanchez, and Tebow.  I think he could be a surprise steal for a team.  He has been in a pro-system for 5 seasons and played for one of the most demanding offensive coaches he will ever meet.

I wish him nothing but the best.   

Razorpigg

Quote from: ldfergu on January 09, 2013, 10:04:44 pm
Uhh, yeah, he will. And probably much longer than that.  Don't let hoglove completely cloud ur judgement

Has nothing to do with Hoglove dude.  He will be gone early 2nd round at the latest.  And any of you that say he doesnt have "it" between the ears are a couple tacos shy of a combo platter.  Do some of you even watch the games or just read the box scores?

ldfergu

This is a message board tard.  It's not like I hate TW.  I just don't see it right now.  Hope he proves me wrong

hawgsalot

Quote from: ldfergu on January 09, 2013, 10:04:44 pm

How much you willing to wager on your claim nfl guru??

ldfergu

Look dude I might be wrong.  Happens often.  All im sayin is I don't see it.  And back to the original topic, he damn sure isn't the answer for the Chefs.  I hope TW gets thrown into a Mallett type situation rather than being fed to the wolves

Razorpigg

Quote from: ldfergu on January 10, 2013, 10:45:50 am
Look dude I might be wrong.  Happens often.  All im sayin is I don't see it.  And back to the original topic, he damn sure isn't the answer for the Chefs.  I hope TW gets thrown into a Mallett type situation rather than being fed to the wolves

Now on this we agree.  My comments were about you saying he is not an NFL quarterback, and the other guy saying he doesnt have it between the ears. 

I pray he doesnt get drafted by a team ala KC, that he would have to step in right away and be the man.  I hope he gets drafted by a team that he will at least get a year watching before he is thrown to the wolves.  Good point.

weresoclose

Bottom line is TW may be able to develop into a starting QB, who knows?  However, right now he is not NFL ready.

FSHog67

As usual it appears there are many here (myself included) who feel we have the answers to the TW future.  Just my two cents is----There have been many QBs past and present who have started during their first year in the NFL.  Some not all have been very successful, not all were predicted to do so. Example Seattle this year.
No one though he would have the success he has had this year. Some have brought extremely poor teams into contention, both past and present.  I differ from many of you in that I believe the TW could possibly do the same for KC or Arizona(the more likely). I have obviously not seen the same QB on the field that some of you have (and I watched every game).  I see a QB with excellent arm strength, able to extend the field and deep sideline throws, willing to stand in the pocket to make reads even knowing the probability of taking a hit, tough kid. Shows excellent leadership and intelligence. So in many areas we will have to agree to disagree and let next year tell the tale.

bennyl08

Yes he regressed some this year, but he was in a situation where our defense was almost assured to give up at least 30, and he had very little trust in the running game. Even the worse teams in the NFL are not consistently being blown out. I would imagine that given two years and not the worst qb coach in the NFL, his physical talent could be right there with Eli and Romo. My guess is that his mental talent would be somewhere in between the two. Better than Eli in the first 3 quarters, not as good as Romo. Better than Romo in the fourth quarter, not as good as Eli.

Cutler was able to do what Tyler did last season and still win 10 games. I.e. get hit about 20 times a game and only throw it to 1 receiver. He also had a great defense to help him out. Tyler will return to his 2011 form very quickly.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

OldCoot

Tyler Wilson was the best QB going into this season and he is the best potential pick coming out of this season.  Those of you that put another mans sins and burden on his shoulders need to live life a little more.  He is NOT the head coach.  In fact, he had  no head coach this season.  I can't begin to imagine the mental anguish this experience has caused him.  You know he feels responsible but I don't him one ounce of it.

He's going to make an NFL team a very good QB.  I think the combine will take care of everything.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: weresoclose on January 10, 2013, 11:36:54 am
Bottom line is TW may be able to develop into a starting QB, who knows?  However, right now he is not NFL ready.

There are more than a handful of starting qb's in the NFL that would be 2nd string to Tyler...having stated that, I think he would benefit in a Mallett-like situation watching, learning, and developing.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rude1

Quote from: Buff on January 09, 2013, 06:29:20 pm
People forget that Wilson, like the QB before him, had NFL-quality coaching in college.  He has already been coached to make pre-snap reads, change routes or plays, and go through progressions each down.  He regressed somewhat his last season here without that teacher in his ear after every possession but some offensive-minded coach has got to be loving the potential he has just because of the coaching he's received in college, relative to what other spread-focused schools do.
Obviously TW wasn't as good with the reads as RM. If you noticed BP took those responsibilities away from him, he looked to the sideline for the checks to be made for him, while you never saw RM look to the sideline, he made his own checks.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

The smart move for KC is to trade down a few notches, get multiple draft picks.  Someone is going to overvalue Joeckel.  Jarvis Jones or the DT from Utah may be the best in this class.  KC seems to have needs everywhere which is crazy.

If they can't get a bevy of picks for the #1 spot, then take Joeckel.  The draft is heavy on defensive talent and comprable QB's can be picked up in the 2nd rd.  Tyler Wilson could talk his way into the first round in the team interviews.  I'd be surprised if he goes in the top half of the first round if that happens though. 

I think there will be a lot of movement in the draft order, teams that need QB's are picking high and there are really good defensive players that teams in the back part of the draft would want.  If I were a GM for a crappy team, I'd be trying to collect talent as there aren't any legit franchise QB's in this draft imho.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

maumellehog

I'm pretty sure not many share your opinion.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 10, 2013, 08:11:10 am
They have a really good running back.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11307/jamaal-charles

I know that they have Charles, but who else does the Chiefs have at RB that is any good?  In the NFL, a Team really needs to have 2 good RBs because of the hits that a RB takes during a season. 

bondhue

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on January 10, 2013, 05:25:44 am

You must be on some heroine type stuff
Once in my life I was on some heroine type stuff.  It was like riding a wild freight train through the Grand Canyon with the Colorado River at full flood.  The rush was incredible.  I had to think of Biafran children starving to death to keep from falling off too soon.  Next I licked my own underarm to keep from finishing then and there.

She looked a lot like McCarron's girlfriend, but without the horsey face.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

bennyl08

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 10, 2013, 11:09:25 pm
I know that they have Charles, but who else does the Chiefs have at RB that is any good?  In the NFL, a Team really needs to have 2 good RBs because of the hits that a RB takes during a season.

They also have Hillis, who has been a thousand yard rusher in his own right. Outside that, heir talent level is rather low.