Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now you see what Mike Anderson has been up against. other teams buying players

Started by forrest city joe, February 23, 2018, 10:26:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 02:25:19 pm
Pretty much. They are limited far more than a person on a academic scholarship. A person on a full ride academically can go to work tomorrow and all they MIGHT lose would be any needs based funding they are receiving. A athlete on a full ride is limited in how much they can work, and where ( as in not sitting at a boosters business for a few hours and getting $100 per just for being there.

But with the federal government? Since when is the NCAA the federal government?

hogsanity

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 23, 2018, 02:57:23 pm
That "article" is a synopsis of the Yahoo article. 

"The following teams were mentioned in Yahoo!'s report. Other teams such as Auburn, Arizona and Oklahoma State were implicated when the original charges came out last September."

The Yahoo article has no direct links between schools and paying players.

Reading, indeed, is hard.

Am I reading a different article than these guys? Not one thing in either the Yahoo article or the ESPN link says one thing about payments from schools to players.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

kaiserhog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 23, 2018, 03:15:33 pm
Doubt anyone is naive enough to believe players don't get paid.

There's rarely a direct link to the school.

It doesn't matter if you can't prove it.
NCAA probably can't but FBI can conduct a more intrusive investigation.  They are looking for crimes, but may uncover violation of NCAA rules collaterally.

hogsanity

Quote from: kaiserhog on February 23, 2018, 03:10:50 pm
Agents paying the money gives schools deniability.  If only one assistant is shown to have participated, the university involved is still culpable.  One has to be extremely naive to believe this just the work of a few rouge assistants and agents.  Players are instantly ineligible because they lose their amateur status.

Why do you have to be naive to believe that? Every season some player or players get investigated for taking money or other benefits from an agent while they are still in college or even before they get to college. IT is nothing new for these agents to throw them some cash in the hope they sign with them when it is time for the draft. Some do, but others take the money, like Bam allegedly did to the tune of 36k, then go sign somewhere else because they know no one is going to say anything about it. ASM just wrote it off as a bad loan.

The only reasons this investigation is different, at this point, is because of the # of players and the evidence the FBI has on the AGENTS and who the AGENTS paid. You and I can think that the schools were behind it, but that does not prove it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: LR_Matt on February 23, 2018, 12:28:59 pm
You can't be serious? Please don't act like MA's players haven't had legal trouble.

Coach A hasn't had any.  Players will misbehave, but I don't seem to remember any FBI investigations into our Hogs
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

hawganatic

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 23, 2018, 03:02:08 pm
It's about players.the team with the best players will do most of the winning.all the other stuff is down the list.notice how the so call great coaches who win championships,also have the best players?wake up,it''s not that hard.

About 25 players have been named so far.  For you to have anything remotely close to a legitimate point on this, you would need to show how many of those 25 players MA was recruiting, and would have had a shot at getting if it was an even playing field.

Come on Joe, it's not hard...

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 23, 2018, 12:25:13 pm
I honestly cannot tell if this is a great troll joke or you are serious.

Im not sure I follow what youre saying.

Im saying that Coach A is a force for good in the universe and that many Hog fans, including me, are super proud of his integrity. 

hawganatic

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 23, 2018, 03:35:51 pm
Coach A hasn't had any.  Players will misbehave, but I don't seem to remember any FBI investigations into our Hogs

So three players being arrested for using counterfeit money is just simply "misbehaving" now?

hogsanity

Quote from: kaiserhog on February 23, 2018, 03:32:46 pm
NCAA probably can't but FBI can conduct a more intrusive investigation.  They are looking for crimes, but may uncover violation of NCAA rules collaterally.

Now that may very well happen. NCAA has no subpoena power but the FBI certainly does. Plus discovery and possibly in court testimony too. The ncaa can gather evidence this time without having to try to find it themselves.

AHiD

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 23, 2018, 02:57:23 pm
That "article" is a synopsis of the Yahoo article. 

"The following teams were mentioned in Yahoo!'s report. Other teams such as Auburn, Arizona and Oklahoma State were implicated when the original charges came out last September."

The Yahoo article has no direct links between schools and paying players.

Reading, indeed, is hard.

Glad to know you can't read my article.
My name...is Jerruh

RazorPiggie

hogsanity

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 23, 2018, 03:38:06 pm
Im not sure I follow what youre saying.

Im saying that Coach A is a force for good in the universe and that many Hog fans, including me, are super proud of his integrity. 

Yet so many Hog fans, for years, made fun of integrity when associated with the football program.

AHiD

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 03:27:41 pm
Am I reading a different article than these guys? Not one thing in either the Yahoo article or the ESPN link says one thing about payments from schools to players.

No one's claiming that the schools are paying players. Our claim is that money was steered to players from Adidas and other brands:

"Tony Bland: The USC associate head coach employed by coach Andy Enfield since 2013. Bland was accused of accepting payments to steer players and was fired in January by USC; he was the last of four assistants named in the original report to lose his job."
My name...is Jerruh

hawganatic

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 23, 2018, 03:44:25 pm
No one's claiming that the schools are paying players.

You've made several snarky comments in this thread about people not being able to read, but then you can't even read the OP's title on the thread?

Re: Now you see what Mike Anderson has been up against. other teams buying players

hogsanity

Quote from: hawganatic on February 23, 2018, 03:52:11 pm
You've made several snarky comments in this thread about people not being able to read, but then you can't even read the OP's title on the thread?

Re: Now you see what Mike Anderson has been up against. other teams buying players

Was just about to post the same thing. I bet I could find a hundred posts today of people claiming the schools are paying players.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 03:44:14 pm
Yet so many Hog fans, for years, made fun of integrity when associated with the football program.

Its funny isn't it?

AHiD

Yes, FCJ was clearly not being hyperbolic
My name...is Jerruh

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 23, 2018, 03:54:20 pm
Its funny isn't it?

I'm not surprised, I mean we had people that for years had ranted about how Auburn is dirty, but they were on their knees praying the Hogs would hire Gus.

hawganatic

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 23, 2018, 03:58:07 pm
Yes, FCJ was clearly not being hyperbolic

You clearly don't understand this thread.  FCJ is literally saying other teams are buying players and Anderson can't win because of it.

You probably want to start from the beginning and re-read most of the thread.

steveaustin69

Yup.

Kinda funny.

AHiD

Quote from: hawganatic on February 23, 2018, 04:02:34 pm
You clearly don't understand this thread.  FCJ is literally saying other teams are buying players and Anderson can't win because of it.

You probably want to start from the beginning and re-read most of the thread.

I did. He's referring to the concept that players are getting paid to go to certain colleges. That's the point of this.
My name...is Jerruh

steveaustin69

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 23, 2018, 04:04:31 pm
I did. He's referring to the concept that players are getting paid to go to certain colleges. That's the point of this.

I mean. Good Lord. You said everyone can't read because while they said there is no link between schools paying players, an Adidas executive was steering kids to Adidas schools.

That doesn't mean schools were paying players nor is it evidence they were.

hogsanity

What part of the OP are you having trouble comprehending? This one

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 23, 2018, 10:26:26 am

THESE TEAMS HAVE BEEN BUYING THE BEST PLAYERS!MIKE ANDERSON HAS NOT!college basketball is a joke.Unc,KY KU and Duke will get away with this.nothing will happen.

He literally said THESE TEAMS HAVE BEEN BUYING THE BEST PLAYERS

PharmacistHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 04:12:09 pm
What part of the OP are you having trouble comprehending? This one

He literally said THESE TEAMS HAVE BEEN BUYING THE BEST PLAYERS

But thats not what he meant.........
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

hawganatic

Quote from: Arkansas Hog in Dallas on February 23, 2018, 04:04:31 pm

You're talking in circles.  I can't really tell if you are doing a troll job, drunk, or just that dense.

Have a great weekend...

RazorPiggie

hogsanity

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 23, 2018, 04:17:05 pm
What did FCJ think of Stan Heath? I wasn't around that long ago.

Don't know, but he wanted the school to lock up Pelphrey long term before Ky came and stole him away.

The OTR

For those of you that have been whining and crying  about why Mike can't get a Colin Sexton or a other 5 star players to come to Arkansas like Alabama and Auburn are doing. you got your reason.want to know why KY and UNC keep beating Arkansas?you got your answer.want to know why we can't be like were were under Eddie and Nolan.you got your answer.the teams that get the top players do most of the winning.most time the best players will win.Mike and other coaches like him have almost no chance in this system.it's a joke.yet people are screaming fire Mike because he keeps losing to these teams.THESE TEAMS HAVE BEEN BUYING THE BEST PLAYERS!MIKE ANDERSON HAS NOT!college basketball is a joke.Unc,KY KU and Duke will get away with this.nothing will happen.

So is this going to be all you're going to say 1000 times over the next several years so that you can point to this to make an excuse for Mike?  There are plenty of schools who are at least as honest as Arkansas in recruiting and they're making runs in the tournament from time to time.

GoshenHog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 23, 2018, 03:59:18 pm
I'm not surprised, I mean we had people that for years had ranted about how Auburn is dirty, but they were on their knees praying the Hogs would hire Gus.

There's a possibility that these were two different sets of people, but no way I'm going back in the archives to check.
One piece of anecdotal evidence:  I believe Auburn and Gus are/were dirty and never wanted him here.

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: hawganatic on February 23, 2018, 03:39:45 pm
So three players being arrested for using counterfeit money is just simply "misbehaving" now?

I think that turned out to be a big misunderstanding.  If they were counterfeiting, then the FBI would be involved in Arkansas as well as the Secret Service.  Since we don't see or hear any G-men running around the program, we have to assume that everything was in the early reports were blown out of porportion.

elksnort

Quote from: SemperFi on February 23, 2018, 01:44:15 pm
So, the cheating going on in college basketball has directly impacted the Razorbacks inability to play defense or execute an offense that does not include dribbling the ball around until the clock is winding down and jacking up bad shots. Thanks Joe for that very insightful look into the Razorbacks woes due to all this rampant cheating in college basketball. Brilliant!
This is my take. Notwithstanding that the OP is correct some of his post, ultimately the coach has to maximize the guys he has. Is CMA doing this? This is the real question.

daprospecta

Quote from: elksnort on February 23, 2018, 04:52:58 pm
This is my take. Notwithstanding that the OP is correct some of his post, ultimately the coach has to maximize the guys he has. Is CMA doing this? This is the real question.
It's very difficult for a lot of people to give Mike credit for player development.  Portis made great strides while here.  Many who watched Gafford play in high school have mentioned that he has improved greatly since his time on the hill. Qualls from freshman year to junior year was night and day. No one ever seems to give Mike credit for anything good but are quick to bash him for every thing that goes wrong.   We don't have a great coach guys. We have a good coach who has shown he can make runs in the tourney. 

elksnort

Quote from: daprospecta on February 23, 2018, 05:05:10 pm
It's very difficult for a lot of people to give Mike credit for player development.  Portis made great strides while here.  Many who watched Gafford play in high school have mentioned that he has improved greatly since his time on the hill. Qualls from freshman year to junior year was night and day. No one ever seems to give Mike credit for anything good but are quick to bash him for every thing that goes wrong.   We don't have a great coach guys. We have a good coach who has shown he can make runs in the tourney. 
Without being at practice I don't know if the staff had anything to do with those guys development. I will keep saying it. CMA is a good coach. I don't think he is a very good coach though. My opinion based on his record, results and what i have witnessed.

rude1

Didn't notice Houston on that docket, we have problems with this coach and program that have nothing to do with this investigation IMO.

Mr. Porkleone

Some people will say anything to reasoning why Razorbacks can't get players and be competitive. What's a major pile of bull💩. We are no longer a place top recruits want to play. That's the truth. Makes me sick to my stomach the nonstop MA love this sunshine pumper puts out to pump his MA love agenda.

pghawg1

I not saying I like or dislike Anderson,but what makes ME sick is some of you fans are on Anderson's butt all the damn time I have been a Hog Fan since the 60's it is Just Damn STUPID to carry on about him ALL the time.

elksnort

Quote from: pghawg1 on February 23, 2018, 06:13:47 pm
I not saying I like or dislike Anderson,but what makes ME sick is some of you fans are on Anderson's butt all the damn time I have been a Hog Fan since the 60's it is Just Damn STUPID to carry on about him ALL the time.
Have you been in the sauce yet?

1highhog

For those of you that have been whining and crying  about why Mike can't get a Colin Sexton or a other 5 star players to come to Arkansas like Alabama and Auburn are doing. you got your reason.want to know why KY and UNC keep beating Arkansas?you got your answer.want to know why we can't be like were were under Eddie and Nolan.you got your answer.the teams that get the top players do most of the winning.most time the best players will win.Mike and other coaches like him have almost no chance in this system.it's a joke.yet people are screaming fire Mike because he keeps losing to these teams.THESE TEAMS HAVE BEEN BUYING THE BEST PLAYERS!MIKE ANDERSON HAS NOT!college basketball is a joke.Unc,KY KU and Duke will get away with this.nothing will happen.

Can someone break down what FCJ wrote for me? 

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: 1highhog on February 23, 2018, 06:24:50 pm
Can someone break down what FCJ wrote for me? 

Sure

FCJ blames this NCAA report on why MA not getting elite players. Also, FCJ love him some MA, also, FCJ love him some more MA, shame on anyone who wants him to leave

HawgHeadCheese

I can't lie I wanted Reggie Perry, but I definitely respect people who do it correctly .

hogsmash12

Again haven't read everyone's comments and yes I know if fcj's unequivocal support for Mike.  However, this is a systemic issue that needs to stop NOW.

hogsmash12

Quote from: tusked on February 23, 2018, 11:45:38 am
But how is Mike supposed to bring in enough talent to not have to play a 'perfect' game to beat the teams that are cheating.

Look Perry was coming to AR.  Then he went to Europe with adidas and then next thing he's being paid to go to MSU.

The hogs needed Perry to keep his commitment but because the hogs won't cheat, he's not coming.

This happens all the time.  Monk didn't come to AR because he got paid to go to KY and the hogs wouldn't cheat.

It's hard to recruit when you look at the kids you want to recruit and have to mark off the top 100 players because they're going to get shoe or agent money pushing $100K and the hogs won't play that game.

+1 I'm proud of Mike.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogsmash12 on February 23, 2018, 07:29:21 pm
Again haven't read everyone's comments and yes I know if fcj's unequivocal support for Mike.  However, this is a systemic issue that needs to stop NOW.

Yes, agents paying players needs to stop. Thats what the reports today are talking about. Not schools buying players. Not Mike not wanting to play the $ game. Agents paying players, which is nothing new.

hogsmash12

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 23, 2018, 12:06:01 pm
+1000. Unc got away with the most massive academic fraud.scandal i have ever seen.and the NCAA refuse to touch them.the NCAA is a joke!how the hell is Mike Anderson going to ever win really big with this BS going on?and i see the media is already making excuse for the Blue Blooks.SICKENING!

YEEAHHHHH!!!!!!

Knot2brite

Very glad that Arkansas and their coaches are not a part of this scandal. It is a tribute to them
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

jbigs77

Well said. At least someone had the Balls to stand up and say the truth against the trolls on here. Good for you, your not alone.

BigBlueHell

Quote from: hawganatic on February 23, 2018, 12:53:04 pm
UNC found a loophole and the NCAA couldn't touch them.  When they offered the fake classes up for everybody, not just athletes, the NCAA had no course of action.

This is true.  What needs to happen in the UNC case is for them to lose their accreditation.  That would be a big blow to them and would hurt the University more than the NCAA ever could.
My 2 favorite teams...my Arkansas Razorbacks and whoever is playing Kentucky.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Kevin on February 23, 2018, 10:54:03 am
this case is about an agent paying players, not schools. now, let see if there is any proof, that the coaches knew of the payments.

read first, before getting on here and being completely wrong
This comment didn't age well AT ALL lol
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

golfinpig

Leave it to FCJ to use this as an excuse for MA's mediocre coaching record. The blue bloods have been getting the top high school recruits for decades. Sorry joe but that dog won't hunt. Whining and making excuses is not a good look even for an MA apologist like you.