Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike and "fundamentals"

Started by Rbill, January 10, 2018, 10:13:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rbill

I refuse to believe Mike does not know basketball fundamentals or the elements of an offense with set plays. He has to know these things, right? It's absurd to imagine he doesn't, right?

It's a common knock on his teams, however. 3 options. Do you honestly think he doesn't know these things? Do you think he knows them but can't teach them? Or do you think he doesn't think he needs to teach them because it doesn't fit the system?

Dillon23

The problem with MA is that he has no pedigree. His coaching tree is all Nolan. As great as Nolan was, he was not a fundamental coach. MA has no knowledge of the game other than tempo.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Rbill on January 10, 2018, 10:13:51 pm
Or do you think he doesn't think he needs to teach them because it doesn't fit the system?

because...he still thinks they're too afraid of Nolan's grumbling to fire him.  Jeff certainly was.   Not so sure what the new power structure thinks but this is a bad year to put it to the test.  The money they had lined up for Gus might still be available.

Rbill

Quote from: Dillon23 on January 10, 2018, 10:21:16 pm
MA has no knowledge of the game other than tempo.

But that can't possibly be possible, can it? After so many years and coaching clinics and so much experience. He has to at least know what we SHOULD do to look competent, right?

Dillon23

I used to think that, but the years have proven otherwise. He basically tries to recruit uptempo guys and get them in great shape. He turns them loose in the game and tells them to push the tempo.  I was embarrassed during the Auburn game when we started running a weave at the top of the key for our offense.

Rbill

Quote from: Dillon23 on January 10, 2018, 10:34:14 pm
I used to think that, but the years have proven otherwise. He basically tries to recruit uptempo guys and get them in great shape. He turns them loose in the game and tells them to push the tempo.  I was embarrassed during the Auburn game when we started running a weave at the top of the key for our offense.

I do hate our weave and heave

RagingHawgOn

There was an article about Portis after he went pro. He basically said there were no plays on offense under MA. Part of his struggle with transition to NBA (not that I think the NBA is reknowned for intricate offensive play design). The takeaway....we see the result of this approach ad nauseum. I'm sick as hell of watching this.

Rbill

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on January 10, 2018, 10:39:49 pm
There was an article about Portis after he went pro. He basically said there were no plays on offense under MA. Part of his struggle with transition to NBA (not that I think the NBA is reknowned for intricate offensive play design). The takeaway....we see the result of this approach ad nauseum. I'm sick as hell of watching this.

I remember that quote. "We don't really run plays". He didn't seem to say it as a criticism but my goodness I thought more people would talk about it.

Dillon23

The end of regulation shot by Macon against TN was proof of MA's offensive genius.

TheRazorback500

We looked like we knew fundamentals when we beat Oklahoma and Minnesota and went 11-2 in the non con; now SEC play is here and we look like we don't have a clue. Are MSU, Auburn, and LSU that much better? Stage fright? With 6 seniors? We looked tight and every shot seemed to be short. CMA should know what to do, I guess he seems to have trouble conveying it to the players. Maybe he's too nice. I can't put my finger on it. I hope he can work it out.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

Dillon23

Quote from: tncbg on January 10, 2018, 10:44:14 pm
Can anyone imagine any of our players studying film of the opponent? Do they even look for weaknesses or tendencies that might be exploited? I seriously doubt that ever happens, but I'm fairly certain our opponents do it. Not that our offense or defense is at all complicated. I've seen more intricate game planning at the rec center league.

I remember someone asking Nolan that and he said something like "No, We don't prepare for them, they prepare for us"

Rbill

Quote from: Dillon23 on January 10, 2018, 10:47:53 pm
I remember someone asking Nolan that and he said something like "No, We don't prepare for them, they prepare for us"

Haha, you're right. Good call.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on January 10, 2018, 10:47:10 pm
We looked like we knew fundamentals when we beat Oklahoma and Minnesota and went 11-2 in the non con; now SEC play is here and we look like we don't have a clue. Are MSU, Auburn, and LSU that much better? Stage fright? With 6 seniors? We looked tight and every shot seemed to be short. CMA should know what to do, I guess he seems to have trouble conveying it to the players. Maybe he's too nice. I can't put my finger on it. I hope he can work it out.

Man I'm with you. I hope he can work it out!

I'm just so tired of watching Basketball 101 being ignored. Add lack of a sense of urgency and effort, we have a huge problem. Starts at the top.

Dillon23

The problem with SEC play is that these coaches have seen our one act play before.

Rbill

Another real question: do any of the assistants have fundamental knowledge Mike lacks the ability to convey? Could they teach fundamentals? Or are they also lacking? Or are they told not to because it isn't the system?
If Mike was asked to change assistants would he walk away?

Dillon23

Watkins is the only non-Nolan/Anderson guy on the staff and his career was not impressive before joining MA in 2004.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: Rbill on January 10, 2018, 11:00:50 pm
Another real question: do any of the assistants have fundamental knowledge Mike lacks the ability to convey? Could they teach fundamentals? Or are they also lacking? Or are they told not to because it isn't the system?
If Mike was asked to change assistants would he walk away?

Good questions.

Truth is, we all know MA and staff know bball fundamentals. And, our players do too. Just seems to be a disconnect. If I was a non-Hog fan and watched one of our games, I'd wish my team played the Hogs.

TeufelHog

CMA's style of play is "Street-Ball" . . . just recruit the best players you can get and put'em on the court and hope "the players can make the plays" . . . literally.  Sure looks like he relies on the players previous coaches instilled "fundamentals."

Sivad

Mike doesn't teach.
He "encourages".
It is what it is.

hogsanity

Quote from: Rbill on January 10, 2018, 10:13:51 pm
I refuse to believe Mike does not know basketball fundamentals or the elements of an offense with set plays. He has to know these things, right? It's absurd to imagine he doesn't, right?

It's a common knock on his teams, however. 3 options. Do you honestly think he doesn't know these things? Do you think he knows them but can't teach them? Or do you think he doesn't think he needs to teach them because it doesn't fit the system?

Options 2 & 3.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

chortle

To quote Charles Barkley, Anderson's coaching is "turrble".

RagingHawgOn

hogsanity

Some of us said before he was hired that he only knows how to coach one way and that one way does not put a premium on fundamentals. Mike himself has said he doesn't worry about rebounding because they'll make it up with turnovers but teams handle the ball too well now for that to work against even just average teams.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE