Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our Lineup in 2019

Started by hogwood, October 09, 2017, 09:49:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogwood

Not knowing how the 2019 class will shake out, or if Chaney will be a Hog or not - but for the sake of this thread lets go ahead and say Hill and Chaney are Hogs. We could also predict that we would have at least one transfer by this point, but let's just leave that be. I am also assuming Garland is eventually cleared and lives up to expectations.

How do you see our lineup looking in the 2019-2020 season? The 2018 class will be sophomores FYI.

STARTERS

C Gafford, JR
F Bailey, SR
F Hall, JR
G Garland, JR
G Harris, JR

"BENCH" (I say "bench" because I think there will be bench players who play just as much as the starters. I feel that CMA will give the starting spots to proven players with more experience over the younger ones)

F Henderson, SO
F Chaney, SO
F Phillips, SO
G Jones, SR
G Embery, SO

G Joe, SO
G Hill, FR
F Osabuohien, JR
G Sills, SO

Now you know we will have a deep team when I have trouble putting the last 4 players listed into the top 10, but that is how I think it will work out. Obviously that is 14 scholarship players, so someone would have to transfer or walk-on (probably someone from the last group). Or the next most likely (maybe even more likely) is that we lose Gafford to the NBA. If that is the case, then my subsequent estimation is screwed...

But this lineup to me looks like an extremely deep and talented, NCAAT title contender IMO. Easily Elite 8 quality roster. We are a little short at the PF-C position but I think our athleticism and speed can compensate.

The best thing is that this isn't unrealistic as there is only one player which I've included that is not already on the roster or committed (Chaney).

The_Iceman

Incredibly deep. So deep you can expect the roster won't look like this, as players will transfer out who are at the bottom.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogwood on October 09, 2017, 09:49:01 am
Not knowing how the 2019 class will shake out, or if Chaney will be a Hog or not - but for the sake of this thread lets go ahead and say Hill and Chaney are Hogs. We could also predict that we would have at least one transfer by this point, but let's just leave that be. I am also assuming Garland is eventually cleared and lives up to expectations.

How do you see our lineup looking in the 2019-2020 season? The 2018 class will be sophomores FYI.

STARTERS

C Gafford, JR
F Bailey, SR
F Hall, JR
G Garland, JR
G Harris, JR

"BENCH" (I say "bench" because I think there will be bench players who play just as much as the starters. I feel that CMA will give the starting spots to proven players with more experience over the younger ones)

F Henderson, SO
F Chaney, SO
F Phillips, SO
G Jones, SR
G Embery, SO

G Joe, SO
G Hill, FR
F Osabuohien, JR
G Sills, SO

Now you know we will have a deep team when I have trouble putting the last 4 players listed into the top 10, but that is how I think it will work out. Obviously that is 14 scholarship players, so someone would have to transfer or walk-on (probably someone from the last group). Or the next most likely (maybe even more likely) is that we lose Gafford to the NBA. If that is the case, then my subsequent estimation is screwed...

But this lineup to me looks like an extremely deep and talented, NCAAT title contender IMO. Easily Elite 8 quality roster. We are a little short at the PF-C position but I think our athleticism and speed can compensate.

The best thing is that this isn't unrealistic as there is only one player which I've included that is not already on the roster or committed (Chaney).

I can see for miles and miles. I see a final 4 in 4 or less.
Hogs up! Covid down!

onebadrubi

No offense by this but why are skipping next season, the 18-19 season?  That's a LONG time in college basketball to look ahead.  The FBI may blow this thing all up by then haha.

The_Iceman

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 09, 2017, 12:30:40 pm
No offense by this but why are skipping next season, the 18-19 season?  That's a LONG time in college basketball to look ahead.  The FBI may blow this thing all up by then haha.

That lineup will be fun as well:

PGs: Harris and Emberey
SGs: Jones, Joe, and Sills
Wings: Garland, Hall, and Phillips
Forwards: Bailey, Chaney, and Gabe

Lots of versatility with that group. Can mix it up a lot of different ways.

mbgrulz

I like the idea of 4 stars coming in and not being projected starters. That's a testament to where CMA's program is.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mbgrulz on October 09, 2017, 02:13:08 pm
I like the idea of 4 stars coming in and not being projected starters. That's a testament to where CMA's program is.

We will sign 6 players in the 2018 class, and not one of them will be projected to start. And that has nothing to do with their lack of talent.

mhuff

Think Embery starts by conference play

The_Iceman

BannerMountainMan

Def not over Jalen Harris because he is a stud, got WAYYYY under utilized at New Mexico
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

The_Iceman

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 09, 2017, 04:35:24 pm
Def not over Jalen Harris because he is a stud, got WAYYYY under utilized at New Mexico

Plus, he is here practicing and getting used to the system. Emberey will come off the bench. Harris is already impressing in practice.

hogwood

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 09, 2017, 12:30:40 pm

Just to project to a team that is more mature. I think 19-20 will be an excellent season. The fruits of these last 3 classes could really come together by then (16, 17, 18).

mhuff

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 09, 2017, 04:35:24 pm

Over Harris. He only averaged about four pts at his last stop. Embery will start at conference play.

mbgrulz

My biggest fear is that Gafford is 1 or 2 and done.

azhog10

Quote from: mbgrulz on October 10, 2017, 12:18:39 pm
Yep, bit us bad when Portis left. Hopefully we can get some depth behind him so the sting isn't as bad when we lose him. I would be shocked if Gafford plays three years in college.

onebadrubi

Quote from: azhog10 on October 10, 2017, 12:23:22 pm
Yep, bit us bad when Portis left. Hopefully we can get some depth behind him so the sting isn't as bad when we lose him. I would be shocked if Gafford plays three years in college.

He absolutely must stay 2 years for Arkansas's benefit. 

hogwood

Quote from: mhuff on October 09, 2017, 10:41:49 pm
Over Harris. He only averaged about four pts at his last stop. Embery will start at conference play.

I believe Harris could really develop this year and be much more ready than Embery in 2018-19. In 2019-20 I could see Harris and Embery playing a lot together, but I think Harris keeps the starting spot at the 1.

The_Iceman

Quote from: azhog10 on October 10, 2017, 12:23:22 pm

Qualls leaving hurt us worse, imo. Bobby was a 2 year max guy anyways.

hogwood

I think it's very likely he could get some projections into the low 1st round his SO year. There's no doubt he will play in the NBA. It just depends on when he decides to leave. Hopefully for us it's after his JR season. Either way I think we really need to get a high ranking 6'10" kid ASAP because Gafford will not be a 4 year player unless he just wants to be. 2019 would be a good class to work on getting one, but we are so low on scholarships.

azhog10

Quote from: hogwood on October 10, 2017, 12:53:54 pm
I think it's very likely he could get some projections into the low 1st round his SO year. There's no doubt he will play in the NBA. It just depends on when he decides to leave. Hopefully for us it's after his JR season. Either way I think we really need to get a high ranking 6'10" kid ASAP because Gafford will not be a 4 year player unless he just wants to be. 2019 would be a good class to work on getting one, but we are so low on scholarships.
Not just low, we are on empty for 2019.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogwood on October 10, 2017, 12:48:07 pm
I believe Harris could really develop this year and be much more ready than Embery in 2018-19. In 2019-20 I could see Harris and Embery playing a lot together, but I think Harris keeps the starting spot at the 1.

Can someone lay out the Harris timeline for me?  I did not think he had that much time.

onebadrubi

Do you not think that waiting till having a first year kid playing in the 2019-2020 season is waiting too long?  I see too much of a possibility of a hole between gafford and New big?  I'd like to have them overlap for almost certain.

mbgrulz

I could see him getting late 1st rd projections after his FR year! He's a very dynamic athlete, and he has legit NBA size.

Hawg Red

The staff is rumored to believe that Gafford is a two-year player, so they are bracing for an early departure (allegedly). Losing Gafford going into the 2019 offseason could push a scholarship to the big-time 2020 class if we don't still need that spot for Justice Hill.

daprospecta

Quote from: mbgrulz on October 10, 2017, 01:39:41 pm
I could see him getting late 1st rd projections after his FR year! He's a very dynamic athlete, and he has legit NBA size.
I would not expect Gafford to be here his junior year but I don't think he's quite a one and done unless he completely dominates this year.  It can happen but very unlikely. 

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 10, 2017, 12:48:28 pm
Okay, still not what I said. That team with bobby and without Qualls wins more games than without Bobby and with Qualls. Just saying we need to do everything we can to make sure when we lose a guy like that (6'10" plus type that can dominate one side of the floor) we fill it with someone that can at least shoulder some of that. We had guys that could shoulder Qualls leaving.....but then he decided to get kicked off the team. We didn't have someone that could do some of what BP did.

Pinto

Gafford won't be around for three years...

hogwood

Quote from: azhog10 on October 10, 2017, 01:08:41 pm
Not just low, we are on empty for 2019.

If he develops offensively, he'll be a mid first rounder for sure after his SO season.

hogwood

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2017, 01:36:40 pm
Can someone lay out the Harris timeline for me?  I did not think he had that much time.

He will be a SO in 2018-19. Only played one season at NM. Has 3 to play after sitting this year out.

hogwood

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2017, 01:38:29 pm
Do you not think that waiting till having a first year kid playing in the 2019-2020 season is waiting too long?  I see too much of a possibility of a hole between gafford and New big?  I'd like to have them overlap for almost certain.

I DO think that is waiting too long. I think it would be better to get a C type kid in 2018 but I don't think it's happening. Which is why I said we need to try to get a highly rated one in 2019 so that they can jump in the rotation immediately (i.e., not a project guy like TT).

navyhog24

Even a project guy that will be here 4 years would be good. We just need another 6'10" + that can clean up on the glass, be a defensive presence, and is somewhat athletic.

Pinto

Quote from: hogwood on October 10, 2017, 05:38:23 pm
If he develops offensively, he'll be a mid first rounder for sure after his SO season.

Doesn't have to develop offensively. Willie Cauley Stein was top 10 and Dan has a very similar game as him. Kid is oozing with potential and has great length and elite athleticism...

hogwood

Quote from: Pinto on October 10, 2017, 06:36:02 pm
Doesn't have to develop offensively. Willie Cauley Stein was top 10 and Dan has a very similar game as him. Kid is oozing with potential and has great length and elite athleticism...

True. But Willie also played 3 years of college to work up to top 10. Hopefully that would be Gafford's route.

Pinto

Quote from: hogwood on October 10, 2017, 08:01:34 pm
True. But Willie also played 3 years of college to work up to top 10. Hopefully that would be Gafford's route.

True but that's just one example. There are other athletic defending bigs that have stayed less and have been lottery picks. Robert Williams(Texas A&M) is projected top 10 and Dan is that same type of player...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 10, 2017, 12:48:28 pm

and throw Jacorey on the pile... along with, oh well..

hogwood

Quote from: Pinto on October 10, 2017, 09:00:41 pm
True but that's just one example. There are other athletic defending bigs that have stayed less and have been lottery picks. Robert Williams(Texas A&M) is projected top 10 and Dan is that same type of player...

It's a possibility. But definitely more rare for a one sided big to go that high unless they have tons of upside, which I admit Gafford certainly does.