Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meet the Mets 2016

Started by Oliver, April 04, 2016, 06:52:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliver

I used to do a Mets thread years ago.  At the time there were Mets fans around, feel free to join in again.

Oliver

Last night's game wasn't really a shocker.  In fact, it was like playing Game 6 of the World Series for the hell of it.  It felt this way for three reasons:

1.  The results were the same
2.  Kansas City kept their solid World Series winning roster together
3.  The Mets spent nothing in the offseason to address their roster issues

They expected to do the same thing but with different results.  That's an illogical way to approach a situation. 

Defense is still putrid.  Cespedes practically re-created the same series destroying play he made last year only the catch was way easier to make this time.  Wright is playing like a 40 year old.  He can't catch up to any decent fastball and lobs his throws to first.  Cabrera is no upgrade over Flores at SS.  Neil Walker is a defensive upgrade at 2nd but an offensive downgrade compared to Murphy.  And they are still missing reliable bats proving that the Cubs series was the exception not the norm.

About the only thing that a Mets fan could take away from last night's game is that we made the KC bullpen look very avg.  that's something we absolutely couldn't do in the WS.

This team is going to be good don't get me wrong but the Coupons better decide to start acting like we have a WS window right now at the trade deadline or we may not even win our division.

Oliver

THOR!

That's really a good enough summary of Tuesday's KC/Mets game but I'll expound a little.  Thor struck out the team you can't strike out 9 times.  His slider was filthy all day long.  Neil Walker hit his and the Mets first HR of the year yesterday which was the only offense in the game.  The Mets bullpen looked sharp in 3 innings of relief.

This game could have looked different once again though due to poor Mets defense.  A passed ball by TDA on a strikeout and a double clutch throw from Wright on what should have been an easy DP set up a bases loaded situation for KC in an inning.  Luckily Thor was able to fan the batter to end the inning. 

Oliver

Mets will go in the record books tonight.  Either for:

1.  Teams that gave up one run to the Phils and lost

or

2.  Teams that couldn't score a run on the Phils

Pathetic offense.  Just pathetic.

Oliver

Well that was a short season

Oliver

For those that would be interested, Matt Reynolds and Brandon Nimmo started for the Mets today.  Was nice to see as a Mets and Razorback fan. 

As offensive as the Mets offense is, I wouldn't be surprised to see both of these guys play a significant part in the Mets season the rest of the year.  The Mets owners are too cheap to afford a significant offensive upgrade and I don't see them trading their farm system for anything relevant  right now.