JW3 leaving Mizzou.

Started by Swinesong1, March 30, 2015, 10:45:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hobhog

Swinesong1

rzrbackramsfan

Could it get worse for them?

Beaverfever

I hope we're a contender for his services.  He's from Memphis and has to be acquainted with CMA

Break & Run

JW3 is the only reason the win AT Mizzou was as close as it was.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

-Blu

Quote from: Beaverfever on March 31, 2015, 12:02:01 am
I hope we're a contender for his services.  He's from Memphis and has to be acquainted with CMA

I was thinking the same thing, but he's in the same conference, I don't think he would be allowed to transfer to Arkansas, and if somehow they did allow him, he wouldn't be able to get on scholarship for a year.

I think that info is correct, someone correct me If I'm wrong on that.

Break & Run

Quote from: -Blu on March 31, 2015, 12:28:43 am
I was thinking the same thing, but he's in the same conference, I don't think he would be allowed to transfer to Arkansas, and if somehow they did allow him, he wouldn't be able to get on scholarship for a year.

I think that info is correct, someone correct me If I'm wrong on that.

He can be on scholarship if he's released, just can't play for a year.
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

-Blu

Quote from: Break & Run on March 31, 2015, 12:31:13 am
He can be on scholarship if he's released, just can't play for a year.

Yea, but I think most coaches are going to block you from transferring within the conference correct? I'm pretty sure of that.  Now, this is the part I'm not sure of.  Can you still transfer to one of those block schools and just not be eligible to receive a scholarship from that school for a year?  Is that not what Gary Ervin did when he transferred here?

Edit: Ervin was actually allowed to transfer to a SEC school.

Break & Run

The article I just read said they have to forfeit any scholarships in the future if they transfer to a blocked school. Unless I read it wrong.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2013/07/ncaa_transfer_rule_college_coaches_can_block_their_former_players_from_getting.html

HOGINTENNESSEE

If Portis and Qualls go I'm all for getting Foster and JW even if it means having to take as step back waiting for them to get eligible.

Hawg Red

If you transfer to a blocked school, you still have to sit out and you lose a year of eligibility. And I believe you can't be on scholarship that year you sit out.

ricepig

I know he's not coming, but this kid is the real deal. I watched him in Forrest City a couple of years ago, hands down the best player there.

rhog1

Don't blame him for running from that place. That program is a major dumpster fire.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 31, 2015, 07:20:18 am
If you transfer to a blocked school, you still have to sit out and you lose a year of eligibility. And I believe you can't be on scholarship that year you sit out.

Are you sure about losing that year of eligibility?

I knew you wouldn't be on scholarship that year you sit out and that a kid would have to find a way to pay that some other way, but I hadn't seen that year of eligibility was lost.

I've never seen a kid losing a year of eligibility when he's not playing anywhere.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

mizzouman

He was going to transfer last year after Haith left but didn't want to sit out a year.  But, I guess he changed his mind.  He will be missed, but does free up another scholly.

Just not convinced KA is the answer but we'll see how recruiting goes.  But right now, the program is in shambles.

Hawg Red

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 31, 2015, 08:42:16 am
Are you sure about losing that year of eligibility?

I knew you wouldn't be on scholarship that year you sit out and that a kid would have to find a way to pay that some other way, but I hadn't seen that year of eligibility was lost.

I've never seen a kid losing a year of eligibility when he's not playing anywhere.

If you break the terms of your release, yes, you lose a year of eligibility. At least that's what I have in my mind. It would be too easy for kids to just find financial aid for that one year that sit out for that to be the only deterrent. Unless I'm mistaken, if you transfer to a "blocked" school, you lose a year of eligibility on top of having to sit out. So, basically, you just sit out and the clock still ticks.

mizzouman

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 31, 2015, 09:02:32 am
If you break the terms of your release, yes, you lose a year of eligibility. At least that's what I have in my mind. It would be too easy for kids to just find financial aid for that one year that sit out for that to be the only deterrent. Unless I'm mistaken, if you transfer to a "blocked" school, you lose a year of eligibility on top of having to sit out. So, basically, you just sit out and the clock still ticks.
If you transfer, you sit out 1 year unless you get an exemption from the NCAA.  The only difference in transferring to a 'blocked' school is that you have to be a walk on at that school for 1 year.  In other words,  you have to pay your own way.

At least that's how understand it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: mizzouman on March 31, 2015, 09:05:12 am
If you transfer, you sit out 1 year unless you get an exemption from the NCAA.  The only difference in transferring to a 'blocked' school is that you have to be a walk on at that school for 1 year.  In other words,  you have to pay your own way.

At least that's how understand it.

Where am I getting this lose of eligibility from?

mizzouman

Also, I expect at least 1 more to leave. 

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 31, 2015, 09:08:11 am

I think maybe if a kid isn't let out of his LOI and goes to another school he loses a year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 31, 2015, 09:23:57 am
I think maybe if a kid isn't let out of his LOI and goes to another school he loses a year.

I think that's it. Or maybe if you just don't get a release at all.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I believe if you transfer to a blocked school on scholly you have to sit out 2 years. Atleast that was the old rule. But of course nobody does this.

mizzouman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on March 31, 2015, 09:27:12 am
I believe if you transfer to a blocked school on scholly you have to sit out 2 years. Atleast that was the old rule. But of course nobody does this.
That might be an old rule.  I think today, if you go to a blocked school, you just have to pay your own way for a year but should be eligible after that.  I think going to a blocked school is just like not being released at all.

poloprince

Should've come to Ark and played next to Portis, but he chose the latter.
$PoLoPrInCe$

poloprince

Quote from: mizzouman on March 31, 2015, 08:56:53 am
He was going to transfer last year after Haith left but didn't want to sit out a year.  But, I guess he changed his mind.  He will be missed, but does free up another scholly.

Just not convinced KA is the answer but we'll see how recruiting goes.  But right now, the program is in shambles.

I'm sure you still don't miss MA.  You never know what you got until it is gone.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 31, 2015, 09:24:22 am
I think that's it. Or maybe if you just don't get a release at all.

It maybe both

mizzouman

Quote from: poloprince on March 31, 2015, 09:33:33 am
I'm sure you still don't miss MA.  You never know what you got until it is gone.  :razorback:
I don't miss him, just the way it is.  Who knows, KA may lead us to a final 4.  I have my doubts, but I cannot predict the future.

azhog10

I would imagine if you don't have a RS you lose a year. He would have to take a RS if he sits out. IN D1 once your clock starts it doesn't pause. So he has 5 years to play his 4......and really 4 years to play 4 unless he gets a RS.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: mizzouman on March 31, 2015, 09:31:23 am
That might be an old rule.  I think today, if you go to a blocked school, you just have to pay your own way for a year but should be eligible after that.  I think going to a blocked school is just like not being released at all.

Yeah, I know it was the rule at one time. It very well could have changed

dbhog

Quote from: ricepig on March 31, 2015, 07:31:52 am
I know he's not coming, but this kid is the real deal. I watched him in Forrest City a couple of years ago, hands down the best player there.

Bet he ends up at Tulsa with Haith.  Tulsa needs some big men and he would be perfect for them.

poloprince

Quote from: mizzouman on March 31, 2015, 09:36:28 am
I don't miss him, just the way it is.  Who knows, KA may lead us to a final 4.  I have my doubts, but I cannot predict the future.

You must not enjoy success for the basketball program then, because MA had Mizzou at heights that had not seen for a very long time. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

hogfan98

The fact that a school can limit where a player transfers to is one of the most ridiculous rules in college sports.

WooPig90

I don't miss him, just the way it is.  Who knows, KA may lead us to a final 4.   I have my doubts, but I cannot predict the future.

HAHAHAHA

Hawg Red

Quote from: WooPig90 on March 31, 2015, 11:40:22 am
HAHAHAHA

Maybe that was the Central Missouri fan coming out in him. D2 National Champs never die!!!

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hobhog on March 30, 2015, 10:56:24 pm
R2d2.

Sorry but who s RW3?
+1 for calling him R2D2. My inner nerd howled with laughter
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

jry04

I think everyone can agree KA will not lead you to a final four. Even making the NCAAT in the next 3 years will be a HUGE success at this point.

onebadrubi

Quote from: dbhog on March 31, 2015, 10:49:24 am
Bet he ends up at Tulsa with Haith.  Tulsa needs some big men and he would be perfect for them.

Tulsa should be high on the list of blocked schools

mizzouman

Quote from: jry04 on March 31, 2015, 12:16:00 pm
I think everyone can agree KA will not lead you to a final four. Even making the NCAAT in the next 3 years will be a HUGE success at this point.
Yup...we will see what happens....

hawginbigd1

He should stay, or just turn pro IMO, I think he would definitely be a draft worthy player with one more year of strength, and working on extending his range.