Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any new news on nick king

Started by outlawhogeywells, March 28, 2015, 09:27:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

outlawhogeywells

Just wondering if anything new has come out on a destination for him

Hawg Red

Ole Miss and Murray State are the frontrunners is the last I saw.

Hawg Red

Per Jeff Borzello, King plans to visit Ole Miss and Arkansas.

20gauge

Question. Why would we want Nick King. Cant get minutes at Memphis. I understand why he is transferring. But why would we want a player who wasnt good enough to get minutes there

Hawg Red

Quote from: 20gauge on April 09, 2015, 01:56:03 pm
Question. Why would we want Nick King. Cant get minutes at Memphis. I understand why he is transferring. But why would we want a player who wasnt good enough to get minutes there

Because he was highly-talented coming out of HS and just because he didn't get minutes at Memphis, doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't any good. I'd like to think Anderson and staff have done their homework on the situation....

You realize who is coaching Memphis, right?

The_Iceman

Tusks

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 09, 2015, 02:14:24 pm
Incompetence.

and I hope he is there for a very very very very long time.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

-Blu

Quote from: 20gauge on April 09, 2015, 01:56:03 pm

King is a former top 50 recruit, he has the talent, I just don't think he was suited for whatever Memphis was doing.  I think our system would suit a versatile forward like King much better.  And I'm not saying he's going to come here in put double figure in scoring, but I think he'd be a solid role player in our rotation, he definitely would be a good pick-up.

outlawhogeywells

could also help open up the Memphis pipe line again

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on April 09, 2015, 02:18:38 pm
King is a former top 50 recruit, he has the talent, I just don't think he was suited for whatever Memphis was doing.  I think our system would suit a versatile forward like King much better.  And I'm not saying he's going to come here in put double figure in scoring, but I think he'd be a solid role player in our rotation, he definitely would be a good pick-up.

Definitely worth a shot. Vast majority of transfers aren't leaving because they were happy where they're at. You can judge a situation strictly by how much a guy played or how many points he scored. So many variables. That's where you have to rely on the coaches to do their homework and welcome in the right guys. Anderson and staff have been pretty good about bringing in quality young men, so at that point, it's about talent and can you get the player to produce in your system. Pastner has squandered a lot of talent over in Memphis, so it's not surprising that he has highly rated guys that aren't performing up to their billing or capabilities.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 09, 2015, 02:08:33 pm
Because he was highly-talented coming out of HS and just because he didn't get minutes at Memphis, doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't any good. I'd like to think Anderson and staff have done their homework on the situation....

You realize who is coaching Memphis, right?

Not saying it was you guys...but these post's are like deja vu when we were courting K.Miles as a transfer.  At some point we have to take players for what they are now, as opposed to what they were rated in HS.  King has obviously been more productive then Miles was, however I just don't see him as one worth waiting for...unlike Nigel Williams-Goss

poloprince

If he can up his shooting percentage then he may be a solid addition.  I am going to straddle the fence on this one and would be ok with him choosing another school. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

Quote from: JackJohnson on April 09, 2015, 02:27:10 pm
Not saying it was you guys...but these post's are like deja vu when we were courting K.Miles as a transfer.  At some point we have to take players for what they are now, as opposed to what they were rated in HS.  King has obviously been more productive then Miles was, however I just don't see him as one worth waiting for...unlike Nigel Williams-Goss

That's a fair point, but I don't think there were very many that viewed Miles as more than a defensive role-player. I think I called him "a 6'7 Fred Gulley." But there were some that were saying he'd pick up where Coty Clarke left off, so I see what you're saying.

But, you have to ask yourself this -- is there someone definitively better out there, right now, that we could sign? If you decide to hold the scholarship, are you going to fill all 4-5 open scholarships for next year with a better player? I don't think you will. I think you have to role with what you know about King and what potential you feel he has. I feel like the combination of what he showed in HS, the unlikely hood that we sign 5 better players/players with equal potential for 2016, and the incompetence (that was a spot-on label to give by Iceman) of his former college coach is enough for me to want the Hogs to give him a shot. It's basketball. You go into it knowing not every pans out. Question is, do you want to give a guy a shot? I think we should here. And I think King is more likely to become a Hog than Williams-Goss.

Hawg Red

Also, I'm not sure what the problem is with this kid's numbers. Minutes, points, rebounds, assists all went up like you'd expect from freshman to sophomore year. FG and 3-point shooting did go down, but he was better at the foul line. Don't ask me about the advanced stats.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66595/nick-king

7 points, 5 rebound per in 19 minutes is pretty good, I think. With a mess of a coach, too. I'm on board. Totally on board.

Atlhogfan1

Would be tying up 3 years to get 2 out of what looks now to be a role player.  We need versatile F's who can help rebound.  Hasn't shown SF skills yet and hasn't grown into a PF.  Who would he defend?  Will his shot come around?  Or would we be getting a perhaps little more productive version of Williams?  Every team needs role players and he could help even if the shot never comes around.  Is it worth tying up the scholarship for at this point? 

With Babb leaving, this opens a spot in the "Jr's in 2017" class for roster balance. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 02:40:29 pm
Would be tying up 3 years to get 2 out of what looks now to be a role player.  We need versatile F's who can help rebound.  Hasn't shown SF skills yet and hasn't grown into a PF.  Who would he defend?  Will his shot come around?  Or would we be getting a perhaps little more productive version of Williams?  Every team needs role players and he could help even if the shot never comes around.  Is it worth tying up the scholarship for at this point? 

With Babb leaving, this opens a spot in the "Jr's in 2017" class for roster balance.

Yes. There are only a handful of guys truly worth signing that could play in the upcoming season. And it wouldn't be smart to go for a 6-player class in 2016. I don't want to pass up King for some JUCO forward that will probably have an iffy year in '15-'16 and then only give us one okay-to-good year, in all likelihood. I'd rather go with the potential.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 09, 2015, 02:46:57 pm
Yes. There are only a handful of guys truly worth signing that could play in the upcoming season. And it wouldn't be smart to go for a 6-player class in 2016. I don't want to pass up King for some JUCO forward that will probably have an iffy year in '15-'16 and then only give us one okay-to-good year, in all likelihood. I'd rather go with the potential.

Makes sense.  Perhaps Mike learned from the situation he had setup at Mizzou.  Roster balance would be a reason to consider this. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Foshodo

wouldnt be upset at all with bringing in a guy who could take 20 minutes and give us 8 pnts 5 rbs... i'd cringe at him taking 12 or so shots to get those 8 points a bit but that could always be worked on...

navyhog24

Can't be any worse than Jacorey and that's basically who'd he replace after he has to sit out a year

Hogimus Prime

I say bring him on. A year under MA could do the kid wonders. Might help him develop into a 3.

Hog and Eggs

Will somebody explain to me what the appeal of a combo forward is? I mean, it just seems like a guy who is too small to be a 4 and not skilled enough to be a 3.

Scott7703

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on April 09, 2015, 07:14:13 pm
Will somebody explain to me what the appeal of a combo forward is? I mean, it just seems like a guy who is too small to be a 4 and not skilled enough to be a 3.

How would you compare him to what we currently have?

Hog and Eggs

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 09, 2015, 07:16:04 pm
How would you compare him to what we currently have?

I'll be honest, I don't know much about him. From what I've read from others though, he doesn't have the skills of a 3, but isn't really a 4 either.

imtad16

If Nick King wants to fart around, and maybe get into an NCAA Tournament play-in game then he should go to Ole Miss. However, if he wants to be a part of a special season and a deep tournament run he should come play for Arkansas. 

rude1

Quote from: JackJohnson on April 09, 2015, 02:27:10 pm

Exactly what I was thinking. Moving the program forward we need to aim higher when choosing players, I would rather see a high school player signed with an upside than a guy who couldn't crack the rotation some where else that isn't even an elite program. We tried that with Miles and it has been a failure, tied up a scholly for three years and we MIGHT get a little bit of service for one year.

nwahogfan1

So you don't think King  is like Miles a under sized PF who just did not adjust his game to play against the big boys of College?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on April 09, 2015, 07:19:11 pm
I'll be honest, I don't know much about him. From what I've read from others though, he doesn't have the skills of a 3, but isn't really a 4 either.
I totally agree with you.   Another MIles in the making here. 

Hawg Red

Nick King produced in the minutes he got. Miles has never produced at the college level. So, no, Nick King is not another Keaton Miles.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 09, 2015, 07:46:34 pm
Nick King produced in the minutes he got. Miles has never produced at the college level. So, no, Nick King is not another Keaton Miles.

Yeah I think King's offensive potential is a bit higher than Miles. Granted that's not a whole lot anyways there is a difference. If he could be a great defender and throw up 10 and 5 a night let's take him.

Brass Knob

Most of you have not got to see much of Nick King. The kid can play, it is that simple. Is he caught somewhere between a 3 and 4, yes. However, that has never stopped him from being productive. For the life of me, I cannot understand why King was on the bench. Pastner has a bad habit of fluctuating players minutes drastically from game to game. It is hard to expect consistency from a player who may get 0 minutes or 25 minutes in a given game. That is what happened to King. However, he was till typically productive in his minutes. King would be a steal for Arkansas to get, especially since he would have to sit a year and thus get the chance to learn MA's system. The kid hustles and has knack for being in the right place at the right time. This will be a very quality pickup for whoever lands him...

The_Iceman

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein

Memphis transfer Nick King told @CBSSports he will visit Ole Miss Saturday. Will also take visits to Alabama and Arkansas later this month.