Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice To Notre Dame

Started by Hogfaniam, March 26, 2015, 10:24:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hog and Eggs

Should be interesting. Notre Dame will be the first team that is actually a challenge. So far, it has been a cakewalk. The Irish have the thing that could really sink Kentucky and that is outside shooting. They were lights out tonight against Wich. St. Unfortunately, they are really small. They will have to pack the paint and gang rebound.

Danny J

Only chance ND has is to make at least....at least 10 three's and they have to take their first good open look and not hesitate. If you hesitate against UK then you are not going to get a good shot and end up shooting 16% which is what WVU is shooting against that length.

I hate to say it but there is not a team in the country that can play with UK right now. That game will be over by halftime as well.

onebadrubi

And all the pundits could say was how much better the press was for WVU then Arkansas

the END.

Few teams would win putting up 19 points in 28 minutes or so.  Gotta shoot lights out and give no chance for rebounds against Kentucky's length.

MountieDawg

You never poke a sleeping bear
SEC!

Breems

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 26, 2015, 10:30:37 pm
And all the pundits could say was how much better the press was for WVU then Arkansas

Many Arkansas fans thought that too.

"Go watch WVU. They're a team that really knows how to press."
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Danny J

Quote from: Breems on March 26, 2015, 10:31:51 pm
Many Arkansas fans thought that too.

"Go watch WVU. They're a team that really knows how to press."
Here are Doug Gottlieb's comments verbatim during their last game:

"If you can look ahead to UK they may have played Arkansas but they pale in comparison to the depth of athletes and style that WVU plays"....

What say ye now Doug? Hell....at least we put up a fight.

dsgreen

There are three teams I think can beat kentucky, and that's Notre Dame if they get on a hot shooting streak, Wisconsin, or Arizona (same situation as Notre Dame).  That said, Kentucky will probably beat them by 30.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Danny J on March 26, 2015, 10:29:45 pm
Only chance ND has is to make at least....at least 10 three's and they have to take their first good open look and not hesitate. If you hesitate against UK then you are not going to get a good shot and end up shooting 16% which is what WVU is shooting against that length.

I hate to say it but there is not a team in the country that can play with UK right now. That game will be over by halftime as well.

My buddy is a ND fan, I told him the exact same thing about three's. ND doesn't play much defense, but they are a solid rebounding team, with everyone getting their share. A complete clash of giants, UK's monstrous defense vs ND's extremely efficient offense. The only team that played with UK in a track meet was Ole Miss, and we have an intimate knowledge of their ability to score. ND lacks great size, only true interior player is Zach Auguste. They have great perimeter size with Grant and Connaughton both listed at 6'5 and pg jackson is 6'1; they move the ball exceptionally well, so all combined, should be able to get their shots off.

Grant and Jackson are both fearless drivers, which I've felt all season is one way to take UK down, forcing yourself to the rim. Attack the bigs, draw fouls, and don't settle for jump shots over 6'10-7 foot players.

UK has been in a different stratosphere all season and could very well just now be playing their best basketball. I'm not going to say ND has no chance, because they do, but I would not be surprised to see UK win every remaining game by 20+.

Breems

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 26, 2015, 10:47:29 pm
My buddy is a ND fan, I told him the exact same thing about three's. ND doesn't play much defense, but they are a solid rebounding team, with everyone getting their share. A complete clash of giants, UK's monstrous defense vs ND's extremely efficient offense. The only team that played with UK in a track meet was Ole Miss, and we have an intimate knowledge of their ability to score. ND lacks great size, only true interior player is Zach Auguste. They have great perimeter size with Grant and Connaughton both listed at 6'5 and pg jackson is 6'1; they move the ball exceptionally well, so all combined, should be able to get their shots off.

Grant and Jackson are both fearless drivers, which I've felt all season is one way to take UK down, forcing yourself to the rim. Attack the bigs, draw fouls, and don't settle for jump shots over 6'10-7 foot players.

UK has been in a different stratosphere all season and could very well just now be playing their best basketball. I'm not going to say ND has no chance, because they do, but I would not be surprised to see UK win every remaining game by 20+.

You don't stand a chance driving to the basket against UK. We tried it, and it looked good for a while when we had them banged up and in foul trouble, but players eventually just get scared to drive in when 5 shot attempts are blocked in a single possession.

UK cannot be beat. They will win the championship.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

jjdlc

I picked ND as a team that could give Kentucky a run for their money before the tourney started.  Besides their ability to shoot the 3, they don't strike me as a team that would be intimidated by KU.

MountieDawg

Quote from: jjdlc on March 26, 2015, 10:53:42 pm
I picked ND as a team that could give Kentucky a run for their money before the tourney started.  Besides their ability to shoot the 3, they don't strike me as a team that would be intimidated by KU.

Who is KU... Kansas is out.
SEC!

Danny J

Quote from: jjdlc on March 26, 2015, 10:53:42 pm
True but right now it is not really about intimidation. They are really just that good. You have to play mistake free to beat them and hope they have kind of a off night. I don't think WVU was afraid of them and I know we weren't but it really didn't matter all that much in the end.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Breems on March 26, 2015, 10:52:27 pm
You don't stand a chance driving to the basket against UK. We tried it, and it looked good for a while when we had them banged up and in foul trouble, but players eventually just get scared to drive in when 5 shot attempts are blocked in a single possession.

UK cannot be beat. They will win the championship.

I feel the same way about your last statement, but Grant and Jackson both handle the ball better than our guards, both are exceptional athletes, and I really believe they could find success driving, because UK has to respect their shooting ability. I agree they're likely to have a number of blocked shots, but penetrating opens up the perimeter and keeps UK from just packing it in and forcing contested jumpers. We'll find out soon enough if it will work.

LR_Matt

And don't press.... Crap hasn't worked out for teams that tried.

Hawg4life33

Figured the only teams that had a chance against UK would be a team with 2 legit bigs or a team shooting out of their mind from 3.  ND has a shot but I feel like they need to hit 12-15 threes especially with very little presence down low outside of Auguste.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: LR_Matt on March 26, 2015, 11:01:44 pm

AR press actually rattle KY when Uliss was not in. He was a one man fast break.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

moses_007

I'd say Notre Dame, Duke, Arizona and Wisconsin all are capable of beating Kentucky if any of these teams shoot well against them.

3kgthog

Quote from: LR_Matt on March 26, 2015, 11:01:44 pm

You can't tell that to folks here. They'd rather keep trying to play the asthmatic kid trying to beat up the school bully that's on the wrestling team.

Trying to speed it up will get any team drilled.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Atlhogfan1

Take and hit a high number of 3's and limit possessions.  Pack it in on defense and make UK shoot over the defense.  If UK hits 3's, then there is little chance.  We did a good job in the second half of spreading them out and attacking for a while.  ND could do this but you can't ignore the 3pt shot.  And UK is getting to the line in the NCAAT at a high rate.  Teams are fouling trying to compete with their size advantage. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rude1

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 26, 2015, 11:20:17 pm
You can't tell that to folks here. They'd rather keep trying to play the asthmatic kid trying to beat up the school bully that's on the wrestling team.

Trying to speed it up will get any team drilled.
Slow teams have gotten drilled by them too, so pick your poison. Slowing it down and trying to beat that size in a half court game isn't the ticket either. That's what makes them so tough, no matter what you want to do they have the players to put you at a disadvantage at your own game.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rude1 on March 27, 2015, 12:46:05 am
Slow teams have gotten drilled by them too, so pick your poison. Slowing it down and trying to beat that size in a half court game isn't the ticket either. That's what makes them so tough, no matter what you want to do they have the players to put you at a disadvantage at your own game.

There is no answer.  OM hit a high number of 3's and played higher pace game.  A&M and UGa played slower pace and shot horribly from 3.  LSU middle pace and shot horribly from 3.  I'm guessing a combo of the two may let a team compete.  ND will be the first offensively skilled team UK has played since ...Ark? OM? UNC?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogimus Prime

It'll be a team like Duke or Wisconsin. A team with a good bigman and shooters.  IMO I think the Duke guards are better than Wisconsin's at driving the ball, even then either team would have to play a damn near perfect game

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 27, 2015, 03:23:58 am
It'll be a team like Duke or Wisconsin. A team with a good bigman and shooters.  IMO I think the Duke guards are better than Wisconsin's at driving the ball, even then either team would have to play a damn near perfect game

Yep. I think Ky will score at will in the post against ND. Carter for WSU was 22 and 8., I look for Ky to pound the ball inside all night. If ND shoots it great it might be a watchable game for 30 min. I give Duke or Wisky a much better chance. If they knock the 3's down they at least have enough inside presence to make the game interesting.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hog1984

Quote from: moses_007 on March 26, 2015, 11:18:43 pm
I'd say Notre Dame, Duke, Arizona and Wisconsin all are capable of beating Kentucky if any of these teams shoot well against them.

No disrespect for any opinion here, (I picked yours at random) but the only thing that is going to beat KY is arrogance and over confidence. Humbleness still plays a role in life, and by all accounts I read, KY players are lacking any by the bucket full.

This is where the coach steps in, it appears to me coach Cal does a good job bringing them down a notch to keep them in line.

Your right that any of these teams, or any other good 3 point shooting team for that matter, can give KY a run for their money, but KY has to help them out with a lot of bad decisions.

riccoar

29 fouls called on WV. 15 of those were on there starters. Kentucky is without a doubt the best team but no excuse for them to being given gifts like that. Any team from here out can beat them. However, no team can defeat them AND the officials.

PharmacistHog

Coack K has played the part of the giant killer in the past with UNLV when they appeared unstoppable. My pick would be Duke to have the only real shot to knock Kentucky out.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Pork Twain

There is only one team that can beat Kentucky and that is Kentucky
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

latrops

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 26, 2015, 10:30:37 pm

Maybe it was, but you can't set up your press in transition off blocked and bricked shots.  WVU press didn't factor because WVU was incapable of scoring.

Cresthog

Quote from: Pork Twain on March 27, 2015, 07:50:50 am
There is only one team that can beat Kentucky and that is Kentucky

Truth.

They're going to rock Notre Dame. It won't be close.

LR_Matt

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 26, 2015, 11:16:08 pm
AR press actually rattle KY when Uliss was not in. He was a one man fast break.
right.... Is that what you saw? They were up 31 on us.... Yep, rattled.

latrops

Quote from: Danny J on March 26, 2015, 10:57:00 pm
True but right now it is not really about intimidation. They are really just that good. You have to play mistake free to beat them and hope they have kind of a off night. I don't think WVU was afraid of them and I know we weren't but it really didn't matter all that much in the end.

Neither Arkansas or West Virginia are particularly highly rated in offensive or defensive efficiency.  Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Duke, and Gonzaga are the top 4 teams in offensive efficiency....Arizona is 12th.  Kentucky may well win it all, they are the favorite...but in the Elite 8 and beyond the competition is a step up from what they've faced all year in terms of efficiency.  Kentucky should at least face something of a challenge over the next few games.  Arizona and Gonzaga, at least statistically, combine both efficient offenses and defenses which on paper should compete with Kentucky. 

All that being said....Villanova had a highly rated offense and defense in terms of efficiency as well.  Didn't much matter against NC State, who isn't in the top 50 in either category. 

SwinerBock

Call me crazy, but I think the best strategy against this Kentucky team is to walk the ball up, hold the ball at half court on every possession, wait until the shot clock ticks down below 10 seconds, and then run your play.  If you get an offensive rebound, bring it back up top and start over.  Limit the number of possessions Kentucky has.  Slow down the game considerably.  Statistically speaking, the more possessions there are, the better chance that Kentucky's talent and size win out. The few number of possessions means the fewer number of times your team has to be perfect.  Much harder to be perfect over the course of 60 to 70 possessions than it is 30 to 40.  That's why I think Wisconsin will give Kentucky its toughest challenge.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hog and Eggs on March 26, 2015, 10:27:56 pm
Should be interesting. Notre Dame will be the first team that is actually a challenge. So far, it has been a cakewalk. The Irish have the thing that could really sink Kentucky and that is outside shooting. They were lights out tonight against Wich. St. Unfortunately, they are really small. They will have to pack the paint and gang rebound.

They will also have to stay out of foul trouble, which everybody gets into against KY. 

Officials let KY bang away but don't let opponents touch them.  This is the biggest disappointment for me—that despite their advantages in personnel, the officials are still protecting them.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 27, 2015, 12:43:54 am
Take and hit a high number of 3's and limit possessions.  Pack it in on defense and make UK shoot over the defense.  If UK hits 3's, then there is little chance.  We did a good job in the second half of spreading them out and attacking for a while.  ND could do this but you can't ignore the 3pt shot.  And UK is getting to the line in the NCAAT at a high rate.  Teams are fouling trying to compete with their size advantage. 
Excellent breakdown. If UK is making open jumpers/3's it's going to very tough to keep it close.  I watched the entire ND/WSU game lstnight and i love the way the Irish play.  4 guys that can make outside shots, 2 very good quick guards that can penetrate and kick out for open shots.  And the center is ok in the middle.  Amazing they rebound as well as they do for their size but Connaughton s very athletic and gets good position underneath.  And they don't foul much either so other team does not get a lot of easy points from the line. I think they have a chance to keep it close but they have to play really well and UK needs an off night shooting. 

Cresthog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 27, 2015, 09:07:24 am
They will also have to stay out of foul trouble, which everybody gets into against KY. 

Officials let KY bang away but don't let opponents touch them.  This is the biggest disappointment for me—that despite their advantages in personnel, the officials are still protecting them.

They called a lot of offensive fouls on UK last night.

It was fairly even, especially considering how much WVU fouls.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on March 26, 2015, 10:47:29 pm

That's a good strategy if the officials will call fouls on solid contact, but they don't.  Case in point—both games with us.  Now those were SEC games but it's still happening in the Dance.

ND can drive all they want, but KY will have to be called for obvious contact.

RacinRazorback

Quote from: SwinerBock on March 27, 2015, 08:59:35 am
Call me crazy, but I think the best strategy against this Kentucky team is to walk the ball up, hold the ball at half court on every possession, wait until the shot clock ticks down below 10 seconds, and then run your play.  If you get an offensive rebound, bring it back up top and start over.  Limit the number of possessions Kentucky has.  Slow down the game considerably.  Statistically speaking, the more possessions there are, the better chance that Kentucky's talent and size win out. The few number of possessions means the fewer number of times your team has to be perfect.  Much harder to be perfect over the course of 60 to 70 possessions than it is 30 to 40.  That's why I think Wisconsin will give Kentucky its toughest challenge.

I have to agree with you. You absolutely can't outrun them or press them, they will kill you trying to speed them up. They have more horses at every position than any other team in college basketball! It will be near impossible to beat them fast or slow, but at least limiting possessions MIGHT keep you in the game. Go somebody, anybody, beat KY!

Hoggish1

Quote from: riccoar on March 27, 2015, 05:45:42 am
29 fouls called on WV. 15 of those were on there starters. Kentucky is without a doubt the best team but no excuse for them to being given gifts like that. Any team from here out can beat them. However, no team can defeat them AND the officials.

This is the silent factor few are mentioning.  I didn't see the Cincy game (only listened to it).  But nobody can tell me that with both teams banging it out that Cincy can't get to the foul line in the first half (not once) and KY gets 11 points from the stripe.

How does that happen unless the zebras are swallowing their whistles...

Hoggish1

I completely agree.

The other factor in addition to WI's patience is they can go to the bucket with great length and skill.

I think WI vs. KY will be a great match up!

latrops

A closer look at Kentucky's most impressive wins....

Kansas is ranked 72nd in offensive efficiency this season.
UCLA is ranked 71st.
Louisville is ranked 105th.
West Virginia is ranked 104th.
Texas is 106th.
North Carolina is 27th.
Arkansas is 38th.

North Carolina and Arkansas were relatively decent offensively, and they actually had some success against Kentucky.  Average margin of victory in those 3 games was about 15 points, and Arkansas/UNC averaged about 65 points per game against UK.  UCLA, Louisville, West Virginia, and Texas, however, lost by an average of 26 points per game (including some 40 point blowouts) while averaging about 45 points per game.

Point being, mediocre offenses are likely to get killed by Kentucky this year.  Decent offenses can hang around, but still wind up losing by double digits.  Good offenses?  We don't really know because Kentucky hasn't played a top 25 team in terms of offensive efficiency. 

Notre Dame should do some good things on offense against Kentucky.  I don't expect Notre Dame to shoot 30% or worse or fail to break 60 points.  The concern with them is whether they can slow down the Kentucky offense at all.  Kentucky has a size advantage against everyone in college basketball, but that is especially the case against this smallish Notre Dame team. 

Pork Twain

Kentucky has shown that they can make good teams look really bad.  I expect to see more of that but wish I did not have too.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Danny J

You need to shoot your first best shot against UK. Their D is too good to just stand around running clock until below 10 seconds and expect to get a good shot. Just not going to happen.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 27, 2015, 03:23:58 am

I think Frank the tank will get exposed by Kentucky. Frank is good, but I think he is being a little over hyped by the media.  That being said, any good team can lose from here on out with the tournament. 

HognVA

I agree don't press. Reduce the number of possessions and then be efficient on offense. Easier said than done.

Jackrabbit Hog

I jumped on the Notre Dame bandwagon after watching them beat Duke and NC on consecutive days in the ACC tournament; even started a thread in here about it, saying if the Hogs couldn't win the championship I hoped ND won because of the great style of unselfish ball they play.  So, I put my money where my mouth is and filled out a bracket that has ND winning it all.  Through last night's game, my bracket is tied for 2nd in the Yahoo group I'm in, with over 100 entrants.  Everyone currently in the top 10 has Kentucky winning it all except me.  So, needless to say, the game Saturday between ND and Kentucky is huge for me.  (So is the Michigan State game tonight).  If the Irish can somehow manage to beat Kentucky, it's worth about a grand to me.

GO IRISH!
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bigred223

Notre Dame has no chance. How can anyone seriously think they do?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Fort Dweller on March 27, 2015, 12:17:06 am
Advice?  Don't miss.
Lots of Hail Mary's...  Hey, it's Notre Dame, right?