Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Assistant Coaches

Started by Hugo Bezdek, December 06, 2017, 09:10:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugo Bezdek

Who does Morris keep from the current staff? Who does he bring with him from SMU? Who does he bring in from outside?

Number one priority has to be DC. Venables would be incredible, and if the rumored $2.5M is true maybe that will happen. But if not, it sounds like we're serious about hiring a top notch DC and will spend the money to get one. My top targets after Venables would be Alex Grinch, then Chavis. Todd Graham could be in the mix there as well.

After that we need strong recruiters in Arkansas, Texas, and Louisiana. I think you try to retain Michael Smith on the current staff to maintain the current pipeline we have in LA. I could see Tim Horton coming back or Lunney being retained for Arkansas ties. IMO Horton would be better. I think we can expect to see Jeff Traylor (TE or RB), Buddy Wyatt (DL), and Joe Craddock (OC/QB) from SMU. Van Malone (DB) might come as a position coach but definitely not as DC.

I think you have to look at the A&M staff. Sumlin's staff was very successful recruiting so there are some guys there we need to look at. I think Jim Turner (OL) would be a good get.

OC/QB - Joe Craddock (I believe Morris is the play-caller)
RB - Tim Horton
WR - Michael Smith
TE/STC - Jeff Traylor
OL - Jim Turner
DC/LB - Brent Venables
DL - Buddy Wyatt
OLB - Todd Graham
S - Van Malone
CB - Charlie Harbison

Tim Harris

If Morris and Gus are as close as many say I doubt he brings Tim Horton back unless he is looking to move back on his own.  We won't be poaching from his staff.

That being said I could see a big portion of his offensive staff coming with him.  They know the system he runs and would make for a smooth transition.  Many of them are young having been GAs just a few years ago for him at Clemson so I would like to see him add a little experience in a few of the spots.  The defensive side will most likely depend on who he hires as the DC.

livevanguy

Assuming he has to go the Chavis route, has anyone checked to see if he has a non-compete clause like our coaches have/had? Remember when Kirby Smart called about Enos? Chavis may not even be an option.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 06, 2017, 09:16:35 am
If Morris and Gus are as close as many say I doubt he brings Tim Horton back unless he is looking to move back on his own.  We won't be poaching from his staff.

That being said I could see a big portion of his offensive staff coming with him.  They know the system he runs and would make for a smooth transition.  Many of them are young having been GAs just a few years ago for him at Clemson so I would like to see him add a little experience in a few of the spots.  The defensive side will most likely depend on who he hires as the DC.

My assumption is that Horton would want to return, and that they probably already know each other if Morris and Malzahn have been getting together in the off-season every year.

I agree the DC will make his picks for defensive assistants, and that's a networking game. Wyatt and Malone have both coached in SEC/B12. Harbison was at Clemson with Morris and Venables. He'll bring some of his offensive staff with him for sure, but you have to figure he was pretty restricted in his hiring due to budget constraints. A couple of upgrades would be expected, and you would expect at least one coach with ties to the Razorbacks and the state.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

emdavenp

Quote from: livevanguy on December 06, 2017, 09:24:28 am
Assuming he has to go the Chavis route, has anyone checked to see if he has a non-compete clause like our coaches have/had? Remember when Kirby Smart called about Enos? Chavis may not even be an option.

Does this matter because Sumlin got fired? I honestly have no idea.

GoPigs69

Think there is any chance he brings Rhett Lashlee in as OC? I know they are very familiar with each other.

Wildhog

Quote from: GoPigs69 on December 06, 2017, 09:39:48 am
Think there is any chance he brings Rhett Lashlee in as OC? I know they are very familiar with each other.

Don't want Lashlee, either.  Jesus. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

porque

I would be shocked if Lunney is not on this staff.  I would like him to keep Michael Smith also.  The rest can go.

trok24

in my opinion this is where Morriss will make a splash. he absolutely has to get some quality assistants who can teach our current players before his recruits come in.  This is by far the mistakes BB made the last couple years. Way too much NFL influence and not enough college coaching perhaps..looking forward to the picks

HawgTide

Quote from: trok24 on December 06, 2017, 09:41:08 am
in my opinion this is where Morriss will make a splash. he absolutely has to get some quality assistants who can teach our current players before his recruits come in.  This is by far the mistakes BB made the last couple years. Way too much NFL influence and not enough college coaching perhaps..looking forward to the picks

We need a great DC and some stud recruiters. Go get em Chad