Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Morris and Family

Started by Grunt, December 09, 2017, 02:00:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Grunt

Would it feel funny to call the Hogs for the first time?
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

HoggusMaximus

as people that did not grow up watching them like his family I can only imagine it has to be awkward

RockyMtnHog

Especially for the daughter who is going to Texas A&M.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

TebowHater

Def has to be awkward for wife and kids. The son seemed to embrace it, though - he did a great job.

If you watch the video the worst hog caller of all was actually Steinmetz in the [CENSORED]. He did it left handed with a pointed finger - looks absurd haha.

RzrbckMAJ

I'm sure it is a little awkward but it's our tradition.  If you can't do it you don't need to be the coach of the Razorbacks!
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
-- General George S. Patton, Jr

livevanguy

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 09, 2017, 02:05:17 pm
Yup, might have been a favorite moment.
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

DLUXHOG

Betcha she will transfer to UofA Fayetteville quickly....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Grunt

I guess the son will transfer to Fayettnam High?
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Tejano Jawg

If that's the strangest situation they've ever been in, their life can't be too bad.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2017, 02:07:17 pm

Maybe she kinda liked doing the Hog call. And decides it is much better than all the crotch grabbing at A&M.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 09, 2017, 02:03:09 pm
as people that did not grow up watching them like his family I can only imagine it has to be awkward

No more awkward than a Hotty Toddy, Roll Tide, Gig em Aggies, etc.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on December 09, 2017, 02:38:11 pm
Maybe she kinda liked doing the Hog call. And decides it is much better than all the crotch grabbing at A&M.
Hog call trumps crotch grabbing...

rljjr

I liked her answer when she was interviewed. Very poised. She basically said blood is thicker than school allegiances and she supports her dad.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: rljjr on December 09, 2017, 03:48:01 pm
I liked her answer when she was interviewed. Very poised. She basically said blood is thicker than school allegiances and she supports her dad.

That is a smart young lady.  Support her Dad.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Palmetto Hog

I guess the son will transfer to Fayettnam High?

I bet he doesn't!

deserthog

I've called the Hogs since I could talk, but I wonder how many really good coaches we've lost from them having to do this goofy tradition. Once maybe, but three times? I'm sorry but it just  seems really goofy to me. Am I alone in this?

DLUXHOG

bottom line... UofA campus > A&M campus.... by astronomical light years.........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: deserthog on December 09, 2017, 05:04:43 pm
I've called the Hogs since I could talk, but I wonder how many really good coaches we've lost from them having to do this goofy tradition. Once maybe, but three times? I'm sorry but it just  seems really goofy to me. Am I alone in this?

Here?  Yes.  gtfo
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

deserthog

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 09, 2017, 05:16:22 pm
Here?  Yes.  gtfo

gtfo is quite a radical response. I've lived most of my life outside of state and know how we are perceived. Most people think it's another justification to our hillbilly reputation. Maybe we should try War Hog! Let's start a petition. Sarcasm maybe

nolt

Texas A&M has some of the goofiest chants and cheers to me. Props to them for their spirit but good grief those yell leader dudes are pretty odd to me.

If anything I'd bet she thought 'pfffffft that was nothing....'

Sooiepride

May be just me, but I can't imagine a coach saying, "Man, I'd like to to go to Arkansas, if it weren't for that durned hog call".  You pay a man several million dollars and he will holler just about anything you tell him to, even if he's an Aggie. Heck, you could pay me half that and I'd learn every stupid Ag chant and scream them from my rooftop every evening.

I love calling the hogs. It actually makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when we call 'em in DWR during a game.  It's been way too long since I've had the chance to do that!
God, Family, Country, Razorbacks.

ChitownHawg

What's goofy is people making an issue out of it. It is our tradition and some want to critique our coaches and their families over it.

With the cameras rolling they got on stage and did the call. How well? Not so well. Does it matter? Nope.

So I agree with you it is goofy.  Yet more goofy is people always critiquing the staff over how well they do the call. As if that is a sign of how well they will coach.

+1 for being honest and courageous for speaking out about the call. You and I will be branded sacrilegious fans for it.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

blueridger

i can't wait to go to my first ever Razorback Game and support my new Team...and I'll be right there with you on the Hog Call!  Go Hogs! WPS!

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: deserthog on December 09, 2017, 05:39:41 pm
gtfo is quite a radical response. I've lived most of my life outside of state and know how we are perceived. Most people think it's another justification to our hillbilly reputation. Maybe we should try War Hog! Let's start a petition. Sarcasm maybe

Yeah, I meant it kind of in a play-fighting sense.  Not super serious.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Sooiepride

Lol. Every team has ignorant sounding chants which said team loves, but other teams think are ignorant. If we didn't have a silly chant, we wouldn't fit in with the world of college football.

searkhogfan

Yes you are.  It's called the Hog Call. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 09, 2017, 06:13:41 pm
Yeah, I meant it kind of in a play-fighting sense.  Not super serious.

Since I agreed with him, I am happy to know that it was only "serious" and not "super serious".

I am being sarcastic not super sarcastic.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Sooiepride

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 09, 2017, 05:58:06 pm
+1 for being honest and courageous for speaking out about the call. You and I will be branded sacrilegious fans for it.  ;)

I am not trying to argue here, but posting something on a message board is not an example of courage.

nolt

Quote from: Sooiepride on December 09, 2017, 06:33:20 pm
I am not trying to argue here, but posting something on a message board is not an example of courage.

OR honest... how do we know he really feels that way?
(haha)

Hog N Bama

Quote from: rljjr on December 09, 2017, 03:48:01 pm
Yep  She is very smart and mature. Handled that tough question like a champ

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Sooiepride on December 09, 2017, 06:33:20 pm

Ok.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: nolt on December 09, 2017, 06:46:13 pm
OR honest... how do we know he really feels that way?
(haha)

Because he said so. People don't go on the Internet and lie. That is a well documented fact. Trust me.  ;D

Sooiepride

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 09, 2017, 06:56:14 pm
Because he said so. People don't go on the Internet and lie. That is a well documented fact. Trust me.  ;D

Lol. +1

WPS

DeltaBoy

Yes a Dear Fellow Pastor call it Ozark Thunder!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HoggyCat

Speaking of funny......
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

moses_007

There is nothing goofy about Calling the Hogs.  It's the greatest chant in all of college athletics... there is nothing else anywhere so unique, so special.

I've enjoyed doing the Hog Call since 1959.......

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: moses_007 on December 09, 2017, 10:02:03 pm
There is nothing goofy about Calling the Hogs.  It's the greatest chant in all of college athletics... there is nothing else anywhere so unique, so special.

I've enjoyed doing the Hog Call since 1959.......

That was the highlight of my Grandmother's weekend during football season. She actually enjoyed doing it.

My Grandfather believed, like most men of his generation, that it was just part of being a fan.

I'm more in my Grandfather's court on this one.
This is my non-signature signature.

factchecker

Every university has traditions that outsiders consider weird.

The hog call, the fight song, our alma mater, "Oh Lord It's Hard to be Humble", William Tell etc. are all part of being a Razorback.  They are intended to unify the students, alumni, and fans together as on group to cheer on their team.

For those who don't like the hog call - it could always be worse:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 09, 2017, 03:47:58 pm
Hog call trumps crotch grabbing...

Usually, but it could depend on the crotch.  Just sayin'

masbas3

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 09, 2017, 02:07:17 pm

I doubt it since her Dad graduated from Texas A&M, she's a junior there, I would think she would finish one more year since she's that close.

hawgXi

Yes

You should move along

masbas3

Quote from: Sooiepride on December 09, 2017, 05:44:27 pm
May be just me, but I can't imagine a coach saying, "Man, I'd like to to go to Arkansas, if it weren't for that durned hog call".  You pay a man several million dollars and he will holler just about anything you tell him to, even if he's an Aggie. Heck, you could pay me half that and I'd learn every stupid Ag chant and scream them from my rooftop every evening.

I love calling the hogs. It actually makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when we call 'em in DWR during a game.  It's been way too long since I've had the chance to do that!

He%$, I've even had opposing fans tell me that their hair stood up on the back of their neck when our Stadium was rocking with the hogs call, when it's done right, which is rare these days, it is a beautiful sire and sound to behold.

Birminghog

Quote from: factchecker on December 10, 2017, 01:14:45 am

The hog call, the fight song, our alma mater, "Oh Lord It's Hard to be Humble", William Tell etc. are all part of being a Razorback.  They are intended to unify the students, alumni, and fans together as on group to cheer on their team.

Heavens, that's terrible.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: masbas3 on December 10, 2017, 04:27:27 pm
He%$, I've even had opposing fans tell me that their hair stood up on the back of their neck when our Stadium was rocking with the hogs call, when it's done right, which is rare these days, it is a beautiful sire and sound to behold.

Good point. The wolf call is a concern.

HoggyCat

True story..... as I was reading your post, my daughter was watching a Christmas movie..... and as soon as I saw the Faggie..... "don me now your gay apparel"......
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

rickm1976

Yeah.  Calling the hogs is not nearly as weird or uncomfortable as all the bizarre stuff and yells she would have been exposed to at A&M.

rickm1976

They even have some weirder stuff than that.

southeasthog

I wonder how many really good coaches we've lost from them having to do this goofy tradition.

This part of your post sums up how stupid it really was. Take your lumps and move on.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: Grunt on December 09, 2017, 02:00:41 pm
Would it feel funny to call the Hogs for the first time?

If you just look at that photo, and didn't know what was going on, one might think it looks like a robbery....well, except for the smiles.😃

masbas3

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 10, 2017, 04:33:29 pm
Good point. The wolf call is a concern.

It seems entrenched at this point in time.  I don't think the UofA could rid us of the Wolf howl even if they decided to cane anyone caught doing it.