Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can we temper expectations a bit?

Started by hogz11, December 07, 2017, 11:25:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogz11

Let me start off by saying I've come to love the hire and will probably end up drunk from drinking the CCM koolaid. But I've seen people already saying 7-5 next year with the possibility to win 8 games with the bowl. If CCM does that with this team, he should be SEC coach of the year and in the running for national coach of the year.

This current team has talent no doubt. A few players have the potential to be elite. But this was the poorest coached Razorback team many of us have ever seen. Offense and defense was abysmal. Special teams was non existent. Not to mention, they were probably the slowest team in the SEC. Lack of speed everywhere.

CCM is now going to try and take that team along with incoming players and mold it into an explosive offense and attacking defense with a dangerous special teams as well.

I hope CCM does it and more but that is a tall TALL mountain to climb. Just don't know if I can expect much year 1.

Again, I hope CCM and the Hogs blow the doors off the rest of the SEC.

Hogtrillian

It's easy to see 7 wins next year with the talent coming back:

Eastern Illinois, CSU, UNT, Tulsa, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss (as is tradition), Then either Miss. State/Missouri.

MavND1973

Quote from: hogz11 on December 07, 2017, 11:25:37 pm
Let me start off by saying I've come to love the hire and will probably end up drunk from drinking the CCM koolaid. But I've seen people already saying 7-5 next year with the possibility to win 8 games with the bowl. If CCM does that with this team, he should be SEC coach of the year and in the running for national coach of the year.

This current team has talent no doubt. A few players have the potential to be elite. But this was the poorest coached Razorback team many of us have ever seen. Offense and defense was abysmal. Special teams was non existent. Not to mention, they were probably the slowest team in the SEC. Lack of speed everywhere.

CCM is now going to try and take that team along with incoming players and mold it into an explosive offense and attacking defense with a dangerous special teams as well.

I hope CCM does it and more but that is a tall TALL mountain to climb. Just don't know if I can expect much year 1.

I really don't see 7-5 as that much of a stretch, and people aren't going to temper expectations after a new coach hire. We are at least a year away from tempered expectations.

imtad16

We have 4 games against the group of 5 in the non conference slate with a game @Colorado State. The game in Colorado Springs could be tricky and might be hard fought with all of our changes, but we should win it and get the 4 non conference games. The 5th win should come against Ole Miss that is hemorrhaging players. The 6th win will probably be against Vandy. Vandy is much stronger than the Vandy of the past under Derek Mason and will have a senior QB in Kyle Shurmur, but I'd like to think with nearly everyone returning we can still beat Vandy at home. The rest we will be underdogs against. I think we should win 6 with the chance we pull and upset in one of the other 6.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Why should we lower our expectations. If you never strive for the best you'll never be the best.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

razCzar

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on December 07, 2017, 11:43:10 pm
Why should we lower our expectations. If you never strive for the best you'll never be the best.
This.
Pointless thread.

SooieGeneris

How is 7-5 "great expectations?" I think it will be tough, but is doable if for no other reason than the schedule is a little less daunting than what we've had in several years.

6-6 is maybe more likely because at least one team on the schedule usually makes a move and is better than anyone thought.

IMO @Col. State is going to be critical to a good start. Especially with Auburn, A&M and 'Bama the 3 weeks after that.

E. Illinois should be a win. NTSU is a team SMU beat this season, surely we can also, so a win at CSU would make 3-0 before the 3 likely losses coming next.

Then Ole Miss, Tulsa and Vandy, we need to go 3-0 there.

We'll see, there is a lot that needs to happen between now and next Sept. with putting together a strong defensive staff, recruiting and a good offseason conditioning, spring practice and so on.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

mckinneyhog5

Nope BB could have won 8 next year with the schedule..need to keep up with that as a minimum or get the pitchforks out!  Also, we paid 15 million to get rid of Long and BB and add that into what we're paying Cm and he needs to hit the ground running.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

HogPharmer

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 08, 2017, 12:20:51 am
Nope BB could have won 8 next year with the schedule..need to keep up with that as a minimum or get the pitchforks out!  Also, we paid 15 million to get rid of Long and BB and add that into what we're paying Cm and he needs to hit the ground running.

I agree with this. I have refused to let myself get my hopes up over the last 2 seasons because I could see the writing on the wall with our former coach. But this new coach has me excited. We will see early on if we have a shot at winning more than 1 or 2 SEC games next year (any coming from the SECW will be bonuses IMO). We can very easily win 7-8 regular season games next season to really hype up recruits for the 2019 class and get CCM rolling. This guy has a favorable schedule to really get his career rolling here at Arkansas and put us up near the top, not unlike Ole Miss was... just without the hookers and paying players and whatnot.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

PigPusher

Number one thing every football player must have is big desire and inspiration. Our new coach will deliver that big time. Those that don't measure up...welll?
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

sickboy

Nope. Sorry. Expectations untempered, dude.

leroyhawg

Quote from: Hogtrillian on December 07, 2017, 11:29:02 pm

Eastern Illinois, CSU, UNT, Tulsa, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss (as is tradition), Then either Miss. State/Missouri.
If we win 5 it will have been a good season. Who said BB would win 8 with these players, that's bat crap crazy, lol
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

hobhog

Word.

I'm looking forward to every game next year.

Fayettechill14

7-5 is perfectly reasonable with 17 returning starters and a favorable schedule.

You never really know how much the scheme change could impact the team's performance, so 7-5 certainly isn't a hard-and-fast expectation, but it's certainly reasonable.

arkansashogs

If he can find a reliable QB option at the beginning of the season. it will be dumb to not winning 9 games next season and dont be surprised.

Bret can win 8-9 games next season even he stays which you can ask whatever people in this industry.

Mark it.

AH

arkansashogs

Your expectation, football understanding, as well as football confidence (Arkansas) are lowered by Bret during his 5 year span. Feel sorry for you.

Quote from: leroyhawg on December 08, 2017, 12:43:23 am
If we win 5 it will have been a good season. Who said BB would win 8 with these players, that's bat crap crazy, lol

arkansashogs

Completely agree.

AH

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on December 08, 2017, 12:20:51 am

Pork Twain

There is a lot of talent on this team.  Reminds a lot og the team that HDN took over from Ford.  Just because our coaches could not maximize on that talent, does mean it is not there
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

cpohog

Over the course of the next 8 months the Hogs are about to undergo a drastic transformation from ground and pound to an up tempo offense philosophy.
How the team responds to this transformation will determine next years success. 2 different philosophies requiring 2 different types of athletic skill sets. I think it is going to be interesting to see how the athletes we have adjust.

I am going to sit back, watch the transition and hope for the best. I am not one to create expectations until I see the transformation.

Either way, I have just completed 7 months of a 10 month deployment. In 3 months I will be back stateside. Watching this new up tempo high octane offense on my TV, in MY living room gives me a lot to be excited about!!!!

I expect to see a lot of offense and an improved defense (depending on the DC hire of course)

WPS

Aunt_Razorback

Quote from: cpohog on December 08, 2017, 03:28:51 am
Over the course of the next 8 months the Hogs are about to undergo a drastic transformation from ground and pound to an up tempo offense philosophy.
How the team responds to this transformation will determine next years success. 2 different philosophies requiring 2 different types of athletic skill sets. I think it is going to be interesting to see how the athletes we have adjust.

I am going to sit back, watch the transition and hope for the best. I am not one to create expectations until I see the transformation.

Either way, I have just completed 7 months of a 10 month deployment. In 3 months I will be back stateside. Watching this new up tempo high octane offense on my TV, in MY living room gives me a lot to be excited about!!!!

I expect to see a lot of offense and an improved defense (depending on the DC hire of course)

WPS

Praying the next three months pass by for you in ease and that you are back home safe in the living room of your home asap...enjoying all the football you desire with awesome beverages and snacks. :)

cpohog

Quote from: Aunt_Razorback on December 08, 2017, 03:37:09 am
Praying the next three months pass by for you in ease and that you are back home safe in the living room of your home asap...enjoying all the football you desire with awesome beverages and snacks. :)

Thank you!!!

Pudgepork

WPS

Woo Pig!  Coming home in time to enjoy a very salty (salted pork)baseball team, and hopefully a basketball team cruising thru the big dance.   Congrats and thanks for your service

TexArkHogFan

WPS
I know you'll be glad to get back home.  When I came home from an eight month deployment, my kids (ages 2 and 4) didn't even know who I was. From an old retired Senior Chief (retired in '74).  When I was overseas before the internet, we had get any news about the Hogs via Navy Times and it was usually a day old then.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Hawghiggs

Everyone expected Bielema to win 6-8 games per season and was fine with it. Now everyone expects Morris to go undefeated or they won't like the hire.

Hawgzinbowlz

The low expectation folks are free to go as low as they like...I prefer optimism...Without other posters establishing my parameters.

" GO HOGS "

Youngsta71701

We win at least 7 games next year, maybe more. Book it...Watch and see what a real coach can do with better talent than people think. The reason it looked like we didn't have much talent was simple. Coach B.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Jek Tono Porkins

I'm not interested in tempering expectations because Chad Morris seems to be a competent coach.
With a few exceptions like Auburn/Ole Miss 2015, TCU 2016, and Ole Miss 2017, if there was a way to lose, Bielema would figure it out. If his teams had simply scored once or twice in the second half he'd probably still be here. There are more winnable games than you think out there with a competent coach at the reins.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

cpohog

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 08, 2017, 05:26:05 am
I know you'll be glad to get back home.  When I came home from an eight month deployment, my kids (ages 2 and 4) didn't even know who I was. From an old retired Senior Chief (retired in '74).  When I was overseas before the internet, we had get any news about the Hogs via Navy Times and it was usually a day old then.

Senior Chief Petty Officer thank you for your service!!! I have 5 more to go and I look forward to joining you in retirement!!!
Fair Winds and Following Seas!

HoopS

I saw a guarantee of 3 wins max the other day.

LawyerHog50

1. Just cause we hired a 13-22 coach doesn't mean we don't expect great results on our weak schedule.

2. There is a lot of talent on the team.Bielema recruited pretty decently and we have depth at most positions.

3. A good Strength and Conditioning coach will work wonders.

4.  17 starters return. That's a lot of experience. A lot.

5. We will get a top notch DC. Cause he said we will, so we will.

6. Morris can turn the offense around quickly. He got 14 more ppg at SMU year one.

I expect at least 8 wins from Chad "13-22" Morris and the team. Eight.
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

Hugo Bezdek

I think this team is hungry and poised to win. I felt like we grossly underachieved this season. We played a lot of youth this year, especially with injuries, so we'll have a lot of starters back. Improved OLine play alone will result in big gains on offense. If Defense is improved to just middle of the pack we could see '98 type results. We should expect 7+ wins though and I don't think that's unreasonable with the schedule we have in 2018.

rljjr

Tempering expectations is not putting the hammer down, it's throwing up a white flag. I say balls to the wall, sloberin' hog, mean ole nasty, 60 minutes of pain, bone-crushing anticipation of a 15-win season.

Champions don't think negatively. That's part of the culture change that needs to happen at Arkansas. We had that swag at the height of Nolan. The fans went into games wondering not if we would win, but by how many and would we score over 100.

Put the hammer down and let's do this!

mhsbc59

No break pumping u heard him left lane pop the clutch hammer down SEC champs or bust
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

dfwalumdad

holtz went 9-2-1 in 1982 then 6-5 in 1983 and got fired. now we didn't have fancy smancy interweb message boards back then, but we did have newspapers and colleagues and we talked to each other. unlike today were we sling insults at one another anonymously on the line.

in the spring of 84 hatfield had a mass exodus of players, i wanna say like 18, and expectations got officially lowered. he was installing the flexbone, brad taylor wasn't an option QB. holtz had left the cupboard bare.

we were in the middle of the newspaper war and both the democrat and the gazette we're pitching don't get your hopes up.

hatfield comes in and goes 7-5-1 and it's declared the greatest turn around in razorback history.   

with that as my guide i'm gonna say 5 wins and he's declared a miracle worker.

PORKULATOR

You can temper your expectations all you want. Mine remain high.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hogsanity

I keep seeing this but I wonder are we looking at the same roster. We lose 4 starters iirc on defense, and lose a couple on offense. Not a huge amount of attrition, so lots of starters back off a 4-8 team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

CFB_Fanatic

Nope. Too late. We got a coach from Clemson, so next year its 15-0 with an at-large bid into the NFL playoffs.

Super Bowl or bust!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2017, 08:34:05 am
I keep seeing this but I wonder are we looking at the same roster. We lose 4 starters iirc on defense, and lose a couple on offense. Not a huge amount of attrition, so lots of starters back off a 4-8 team.

Some players returning from injury hopefully. More SEC home games. Vandy instead of SC.  I know we barely beat OM and CC but we had 3 close losses in winnable games as well.  I don't think with a healthy team next season and the schedule that 6-7 wins is asking too much. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

NaturalStateReb

This conference is so upside down right now nothing's a given, and this team is a bit short on talent.  I'm not sure they've got more talent right now than when Bielema first showed up.

Talent might be their biggest problem.  They need JUCO guys or talented true freshman playing immediately at several positions, notably QB, OL, LB, and S.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

oldhawg

If need be, I'll deal with disappointment later.  Now is the time for unbridled optimism.  Arkansas has rolled the dice, let's see how they come up.

GoHogzzGo

Well said OP. Changing systems so dramatically could make a tough first year before things really get rolling. I will not be disappointed with a 4 win season, provided of course that progress is shown and he kicks butt next year.

Now that being said, I really like the offensive personnel we have coming back and think we could put up 7-8 due to our schedule.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: hogz11 on December 08, 2017, 05:29:13 am
I'm simply talking about year 1.

Like I said, I'm high on CCM. I hope he wins 10+ games in 2018.
Do you expect CCM to have his and the team's expectations tempered? I'll answer for you. Hell no. So why should we?....
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on December 08, 2017, 08:40:02 am
Do you expect CCM to have his and the team's expectations tempered? I'll answer for you. Hell no. So why should we?....

Because we're fans, not players?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2017, 08:37:28 am
Some players returning from injury hopefully. More SEC home games. Vandy instead of SC.  I know we barely beat OM and CC but we had 3 close losses in winnable games as well.  I don't think with a healthy team next season and the schedule that 6-7 wins is asking too much. 

I don't think it is way out there by any means, but I just find it odd that people look at the roster as it stands today and think 7 wins is a gimmee.

We will learn alot on the trip to Fort Collins. CSU is not great, but this will be a test of a young team on their 1st road game, at altitude 2nd game with a new coach and new schemes. And it will be CSu's super bowl, a chance to knock off a sec team.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jgphillips3

I see 7 wins, not because of how great we will be, but because we have a weak schedule.  3 of the 4 non-conference are a gimme and Vanderbilt and a much depleted Ole Miss should be two more.  If we beat Colorado State game two, we only need one more win to hit 7 and A&M and MSU have new coaches too in addition to us hopefully being able to put Mizzou in their place, so one of those and we have 7.

a0ashle

This team isn't a 4 win team, it severely underperformed. I think 7 wins is doable. Here is where we really need work, not being sooo uptight if expectations aren't met. The difference between 5 and 7 wins is razor thin in this league.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 08, 2017, 08:41:31 am
I see 7 wins, not because of how great we will be, but because we have a weak schedule.  3 of the 4 non-conference are a gimme and Vanderbilt and a much depleted Ole Miss should be two more.  If we beat Colorado State game two, we only need one more win to hit 7 and A&M and MSU have new coaches too in addition to us hopefully being able to put Mizzou in their place, so one of those and we have 7.

I have a feeling A&M will be circled. We're going to end that streak this year in Dallas.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2017, 08:41:07 am
I don't think it is way out there by any means, but I just find it odd that people look at the roster as it stands today and think 7 wins is a gimmee.

We will learn alot on the trip to Fort Collins. CSU is not great, but this will be a test of a young team on their 1st road game, at altitude 2nd game with a new coach and new schemes. And it will be CSu's super bowl, a chance to knock off a sec team.

Well said. Even with CSU not returning a number of people. Going on the road with the new offense that game will be very telling.

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ifghog

T6-6 Will be a great yr. You people that said BB could win 8 or 9 are just ridiculous. What in the world gives you that idea? He was awful! Anywhere between  5-7 to 7-5 Is likely where we end up. CCM has to change the culture. We had a losers mentality under Brett. Hard to change in one year. Not impossible...but not easy either.

nwahogfan1

Very good advice.  lets hope for 6 wins.  we need speed in this class. Playmakers.