Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

After watching

Started by porkrindjimmy, December 07, 2017, 09:55:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

porkrindjimmy

Several interviews, watching Coach Morris coach a few games and watching some games and reading quite a bit of material on Coach I offer this.....

I wanted Lane Kiffin. I believed Lane Kiffin was the perfect fit here. I was wrong. Chad Morris is the perfect fit here. The first thing that stuck out to me was the one thing I liked about Bret. He invests in making our kids good men. I loved that he spoke on developing spiritually. I believe he is a good man who will turn out good men.

Second, he preached getting into east Texas and recruiting. This is what will make us or break us....east Texas.

Give this guy a spring and you will see a different football team next year...one that is going to win some games....and two years from now and beyond? Look out, we are coming....

Go HOGS.....

PRJ

rtr

You are so correct.  I loved the fire and intensity from the Head Hog.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Cant help but to get fired up when listening to him

nwahogfan1

I agree they will look much different next year but do they have the talent he needs to win now? Maybe not but I think he will sign the players. It may take a year or so.

TX HOG

Agreed. He wasn't my top 3 but he seems legit. If we can get Traylor to come to The Hill we should do pretty good with East Texas

ToddW

Definitely the leader we need.
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

PygmalionEffect2

QuoteI loved that he spoke on developing spiritually.

I agree.

Honesty and critical thinking skills are overrated.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Roadhog82

"One of the most explosive offenses in the country". That will be a welcome change. I'm ready

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 10:02:59 pm
I agree they will look much different next year but do they have the talent he needs to win now? Maybe not but I think he will sign the players. It may take a year or so.

I think with the schedule we have we can get to 6 or 7 wins. 

He is a good good ole boy which fits.  Good part of Bielema and the salesmanship of Nutt.

We've always gotten help from Texas.  Maybe/should get a little more.  Don't want to become a second tier B12 program though trying to compete in the SECW.  Morris seems to be smart enough to know he can't do that as he has seen what a program is supposed to look like at Clemson - the Auburn of the ACC. 

Cautiously optimistic. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rtr

I see bowl eligibility with one big upset.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 10:08:20 pm

He is a good good ole boy which fits.  Good part of Bielema and the salesmanship of Nutt.

We've always gotten help from Texas.  Maybe/should get a little more.  Don't want to become a second tier B12 program though trying to compete in the SECW.  Morris seems to be smart enough to know he can't do that as he has seen what a program is supposed to look like at Clemson - the Auburn of the ACC. 

Cautiously optimistic. 

And I think he may have a better offensive mind than Petrino....

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

BaggerHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 07, 2017, 09:55:42 pm
Several interviews, watching Coach Morris coach a few games and watching some games and reading quite a bit of material on Coach I offer this.....

I wanted Lane Kiffin. I believed Lane Kiffin was the perfect fit here. I was wrong. Chad Morris is the perfect fit here. The first thing that stuck out to me was the one thing I liked about Bret. He invests in making our kids good men. I loved that he spoke on developing spiritually. I believe he is a good man who will turn out good men.

Second, he preached getting into east Texas and recruiting. This is what will make us or break us....east Texas.

Give this guy a spring and you will see a different football team next year...one that is going to win some games....and two years from now and beyond? Look out, we are coming....

Go HOGS.....

PRJ

You are absolutely correct.

Recruiting is the key. We must get the kids we want out of Arkansas and there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it, we must re-establish our east Texas recruiting base.

I too wanted Kiffin, but I am now totally sold on Morris. I really thing he is going to get the job done.

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 10:08:20 pm

Cautiously optimistic. 
I agree with you but Clemson is better than the Auburn of the ACC.  Much better.

hoglady

After getting to know more about Morris and listening to him - it pretty easy to see why they went with him.

Don't know what to expect next fall with the huge changes in the offensive structure of the team.
But it's going to be fun to watch.

It's actually pretty cool to know if he succeeds - we will have one of the most innovative offenses in the country.

The man has a plan and a good one - he's not interested in trying to out Bama - Bama.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

I believe we have the talent on hand, if coached correctly and very few injuries, to win 6 and maybe more in 2018.  Also, I would have said that about any coach deemed good enough to be our HC.  If you are that good and worthy, then 6 wins next year is expected.  Its time to treat the coach like a grown man and not a 4 year old with every excuse in the book. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rtr on December 07, 2017, 10:13:36 pm
I agree with you but Clemson is better than the Auburn of the ACC.  Much better.

I just associate them with AU because of location and emphasis on football. They are an SEC program playing in the ACC.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RockyMtnHog

I see an Arkansas team that no one wants to play.  I expect Coach Morris will be here for a long time.  He has me excited.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

IronMountainHog

He looks dressed for success and carries himself with confidence. Quite a difference than flip flops, cargo shorts, and initialed pullovers.

rtr

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 10:17:31 pm
I just associate them with AU because of location and emphasis on football. They are an SEC program playing in the ACC.
You are correct.  Clemson is a beautiful campus in extreme upstate South Carolina.  They are much like Auburn in that the emphasis is on Agriculture and Engineering.  Auburn, Clemson, and Texas A&M share many similarities.  Clemson is not dominated by USCe like Bama and Texas dominate Auburn and A&M

Roadhog82

2018 Arkansas Football Schedule
Sept. 1 – EASTERN ILLINOIS
Sept. 8 – at Colorado State
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS
Sept. 22 – at Auburn
Sept. 29 – vs. Texas A&M (Arlington, Texas) Oct. 6 – ALABAMA
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS
Oct. 20 – TULSA
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU
Nov. 17 – at Mississippi State
Nov. 24 – at Missouri

I could see us winning 7 or 8 of these and bowling year 1

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 07, 2017, 10:12:02 pm

PRJ
As much as I liked Petrino he was never going to beat Bama and we had seen all he was going to do here. He had hit his ceiling here. I will also add that some of the current players are in for a rude awakening for what's about to hit them. They are fixing to train and practice like they have never seen before.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Atlhogfan1

I liked he talked about it starting with the lines and physicality.  I've never made it a secret I despised what A&M and Ole Miss did offensively.   Morris seems to be more intent on making sure we don't play soft. 

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: hoglady on December 07, 2017, 10:14:11 pm
After getting to know more about Morris and listening to him - it pretty easy to see why they went with him.

Don't know what to expect next fall with the huge changes in the offensive structure of the team.
But it's going to be fun to watch.

It's actually pretty cool to know if he succeeds - we will have one of the most innovative offenses in the country.

The man has a plan and a good one - he's not interested in trying to out Bama - Bama.

No, he is out to beat Bama.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

HogCommander

Same here PRJ I have openly opposed to Morris and was late to the game as far as looking up information on Morris.  I am all in and will give the guy a chance.  I feel really good about where we are as a program.  For every fan out there that watched Morris meet with the team or anyone who saw his Razorback introduction.  Let me ask you this... Would you rather have Nick Saban? I would, results speak for themselves.  Would you rather have Gus, Jimbo, Joe Moorhead,  Matt Luke, or Ed Orgeron?  Maybe I would rather have Gus, I think he's a great coach, he was my first choice to be our coach here. But as a person I think he's an ass, can't stand him.  When it comes to others I will take Morris over Jimbo when it comes to recruiting in Texas.  I will take Morris any day over Gus, Jimbo, Moorhead, Luke, and Orgeron.  I love the energy that Morris brings to the table.  Checkout my previous posts.  I was very much against Morris.  He has sold me. 

ballhog™

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 07, 2017, 10:12:02 pm

PRJ
Don't know if I'd go that far, but I hope you are right.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

hoglady

Just wanted to say that I think Clint Stoerner was right from the start.
He never wavered in his belief that Morris was the coach for this job.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Dark Helmet Hog

Go HOGS.....

PRJ

Great post and I agree. Also, with the amount of Kool-Aid I drink, I see 8 wins possible next year. We are gonna surprise some people I think.

SooieGeneris

I'm impressed and think he will give this program a bump in the short term. I agree that this will look like a very different team next season.

I have said for some time that there is more talent on this team that most believe. Not 'Bama or LSU talent for sure, or even Auburn, but before Bert we competed even up with Auburn.

There will be a some speed bumps in the transition from a milk-the-clock plodding offense to CM's breakneck pace although we did recruit more speed and play faster in 2016-17.

There are 6-7 very winnable games on that schedule. E. Ill., NTSU, Col. St., Ole Mrs, Vandy, Tulsa, and maybe either MSU or Mizzou.

The key will be beating Col. State on the road and OM at home. But that is early and every season has games that look easy beforehand and turn out to be much tougher.

Or a game that appears unwinnable before the season in which the other team falters early and falls apart like Tenner this season. First 8 loss season in program history for TN and first winless SEC slate.

You could just see a lack of fire and fortitude all season by the Hogs. Some of us pointed that out after the NM State game and were hooted at, then the USCE fiasco happened and the team just wilted.

With no more than just hope and an infusion of enthusiasm this team will play much harder in 2018 than the zombie-like death march we too often saw this season.

As far as long term, I reserve judgment on CM until I see him and the team in action and what recruits can be brought in for the next two classes.

For now, I'm optimistic for the future of AR football.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Matt Burks

Quote from: ballhog™ on December 07, 2017, 10:33:08 pm
Don't know if I'd go that far, but I hope you are right.
I don't know, the game film I watched of SMU vs TCU was extremely impressive. I wish people would stop saying he's like Gus offensively because that's a HUGE disservice to Coach Morris. His offense is very multifaceted and often unique. I get why the call him an offensive innovator. Those bunch formation motions are a thing of beauty.

HogCzar1

Go HOGS.....

PRJ

Well said, PRJ.

I, also, initially preferred a younger coach, but CCM has done everything right since the announcement. I also went back and did some research, and was very impressed. I can now see why he impressed the search committee.

I am fully onboard with CCM, and am very excited about our program moving forward. It also appears he is very much into recruiting, and I am very optimistic that we will see a marked improvement over the next few recruiting seasons!

GHG!

jmark

Go HOGS.....

PRJ

alright!

now we if can just get the right color of red for our uniforms.

Go Hogs!
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

HardCore

He needs a great DC.  He also needs a top notch strength and conditioning Coach.  These kids need the hell worked out of them to get lean and mean.

Too many injuries, no agility, Little speed outside the skill positions. 

If he can hit a homer with those two hires......he will have what he needs to roll.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

JONAS

Go HOGS.....

PRJ

I agree.  He seems like the perfect fit. 

MC_Hog

Go HOGS.....

PRJ

Ditto

jkstock04

Go HOGS.....

PRJ
I'm about the last guy that is gonna fall for spin and BS...but that presser this morning was impressive and convincing. SPEED was one big thing I came away with drilled in my head...something we have terribly lacked the past 5 years. I really liked everything he had to say about being a high school coach and tying that into his college career. This guy is gonna relate to high school coaches and recruits like none other.

Therefore I'm half way excited to see if he can elevate our recruiting status, especially with his Texas connections. I'm not 100% convinced but I'm gonna start paying attention to what happens rather than just assume it's gonna continue to suck like I did with Bielema. The Hogs are annual bottom feeders in the SEC recruiting ranks...will that now change?

I'm still concerned that he didn't win more at SMU with his system, but we will see what happens here. One thing is for certain, vacation time is over with...current players better get their minds right because this guy means business and I would wager conditioning is gonna be harsh compared to what they are used to.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

razCzar

Kiffin would have been fine with me, only bc he seemed the quickest avenue for righting the ship.  But after reading up on Morris, he fast became my 1B.

But it wasn't till CCM's presser and speech to the team that it became obvious he is the BEST FIT to not only resurrect us from the abyss, but oh SO much more - sharp, down-to-earth, organized/methodical, motivating, driven.

But the icing on the cake for me:  family man... from the South.   

Totally pumped like I was when Petrino hire was announced!

WPS, baby!

cityhog

Things that struck me.
He talks like a preacher/HDN. Why do preachers and HDN always have to say everything twice? I heard you the first time.

Secondly, if I was a defensive player I'd be concerned. Yes, he said he'd hire the best DC but only after 5 minutes of how explosive our offense was going to be.

Third,I know people round here like the injection of religion into their football, but I always get uneasy when it so out there in front. What if someone isn't into religion or a spirituality journey? Just hope it's an option and not a requirement.

Finally, I didn't really care who was hired. Just win. But he'll be perfect for an institution obsessed with catchy hashtag lines. #uncommon #fastest40, etc etc
Just. Win.

jkstock04

Quote from: cityhog on December 07, 2017, 11:46:39 pm
Things that struck me.
He talks like a preacher/HDN. Why do preachers and HDN always have to say everything twice? I heard you the first time.

Secondly, if I was a defensive player I'd be concerned. Yes, he said he'd hire the best DC but only after 5 minutes of how explosive our offense was going to be.

Third,I know people round here like the injection of religion into their football, but I always get uneasy when it so out there in front. What if someone isn't into religion or a spirituality journey? Just hope it's an option and not a requirement.

Finally, I didn't really care who was hired. Just win. But he'll be perfect for an institution obsessed with catchy hashtag lines. #uncommon #fastest40, etc etc
Just. Win.

He literally said plain english the spiritual guidance as an option if they want it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

cityhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 07, 2017, 11:49:32 pm
He literally said plain english the spiritual guidance as an option if they want it.
Cool. Was listening on the fly at work.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Roadhog82 on December 07, 2017, 10:22:09 pm
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS
Sept. 22 – at Auburn
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS
Oct. 20 – TULSA
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU
Nov. 24 – at Missouri

I see 5 to 7 as reasonable.  Less than 5 would be a disappointment, more than seven would be icing on the cake

jvanhorn

Quote from: razCzar on December 07, 2017, 11:41:20 pm
Kiffin would have been fine with me, only bc he seemed the quickest avenue for righting the ship.  But after reading up on Morris, he fast became my 1B.

But it wasn't till CCM's presser and speech to the team that it became obvious he is the BEST FIT to not only resurrect us from the abyss, but oh SO much more - sharp, down-to-earth, organized/methodical, motivating, driven.

But the icing on the cake for me:  family man... from the South.   

Totally pumped like I was when Petrino hire was announced!

WPS, baby!

You know I was born and raised in Oklahoma and I have never ever heard one person from Texas say they consider themselves from the south.  Southwest, yes, even west out toward New Mexico, but south, well don't be looking for any cotton fields--just oil fields , windmills, and cattle, lol.

Muleriderhog

Go HOGS.....

PRJ
I agree completely at first I hated the hire and definitely wanted Kiffin. I have completely changed my mind, Morris is going to be a hell of a coach and I think will take Arkansas to places it hasn't been in a long time(good places not where Bielema took us). I also think that we are in for a pleasant surprise in the fall, there is more talent on this team then we think and with the right coach in Morris I think we will be alright. I'm excited to see where he takes us and I'm ready to watch him build this program! Woopigsooie!!

HogFoo

I don't know why folks wanted Kiffin.  He would have never been satisfied with the Arkansas job.  He would have jumped at the next "bigger name" school the moment he had a chance.  He basically proved that at Tenn when he left to go to USC where he failed miserably and was left on the tarmac.  He just always seemed like an immature crybaby to me.

As for Morris. I mentioned in another thread how i too was surprised with the hire.  But after research, etc.. i too came to like the decision of his hiring.  As I had mentioned, I believe his offense can be just as good as Petrinos.  Perhaps even better , especially since Petrino didn't like recruiting and Morris is a great recruiter supposedly.  I think we'll have every bit and quick of success as we did as when Petrino was here. Watch and see.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

razCzar

Wasn't really referring to the "old" South, but a man of similar values who sounds more southern.

hawaiianhogster

Hopefully the trainer can give the young men instructions on what to do to get them in Coach Morris football shape. Then when they return for fall camp they will be ready if they take it seriously. This will give the coach some depth outside of bringing in some of his recruits.

PigPusher

"I have my degree in mathematics and I love to think outside the box." Was expecting that to come out of his mouth and wallah there it was. Every mathematician I have every worked with had that same "There's another way" personality. This is going to be fun to witness.

"Okay let's setup, put your feet on the floor, put away the drinks and listen." Wow, real coach speak!!!
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Count Hogula

Quote from: jkstock04 on December 07, 2017, 11:27:05 pm
I'm about the last guy that is gonna fall for spin and BS...but that presser this morning was impressive and convincing. SPEED was one big thing I came away with drilled in my head...something we have terribly lacked the past 5 years. I really liked everything he had to say about being a high school coach and tying that into his college career. This guy is gonna relate to high school coaches and recruits like none other.

Therefore I'm half way excited to see if he can elevate our recruiting status, especially with his Texas connections. I'm not 100% convinced but I'm gonna start paying attention to what happens rather than just assume it's gonna continue to suck like I did with Bielema. The Hogs are annual bottom feeders in the SEC recruiting ranks...will that now change?

I'm still concerned that he didn't win more at SMU with his system, but we will see what happens here. One thing is for certain, vacation time is over with...current players better get their minds right because this guy means business and I would wager conditioning is gonna be harsh compared to what they are used to.

In his press conference, he hinted at bringing in some Texas kids.

Might have some good recruits coming in that we don't know about?

hobhog

ThundrHawg

Quote from: Roadhog82 on December 07, 2017, 10:22:09 pm
Sept. 15 – NORTH TEXAS
Sept. 22 – at Auburn
Oct. 13 – OLE MISS
Oct. 20 – TULSA
Oct. 27 – VANDERBILT
Nov. 3 – Open Date
Nov. 10 – LSU
Nov. 24 – at Missouri

I'm only seeing six wins on this schedule?