Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barry Lunney is the only member of the staff left in place

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, December 07, 2017, 09:40:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MissippHog

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on December 08, 2017, 08:31:10 am
Bobby Allen is staying as well.
Someone please tell me he's all out of kids.    ;)

(BTW, I liked Brandon and Austin)

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogfanny

buldozer

RedyorNot

Was really hoping we'd keep Smith in some capacity. Hopefully someone on the new staff has solid LA ties.

porque

Quote from: Donny2665 on December 08, 2017, 08:53:38 am
This one is the one that would baffle me!

Why would that baffle you? He is very good at his job.  Why do you think he has made it through all the staff changes tha last 20 years?

hamsam

Barry Lunney Jr is an asset the the state, the U of A, the Razorbacks program and the players. Hard working, high character man. Really beneficial for us that he stays with the Hogs!!
"I am speachless. is this program on the right freaking track or what?i love the way Pel is coaching this team. i love this team. lets just keep getting better. congrats to Pel and the hawgs.PIG SOOIE!"

Forrest City Joe   December 30, 2008

jackflash

I would keep Lunney but more interested in who here hires on the defensive side of the ball

Inhogswetrust

He isn't a coach. He's a part of the staff but not a coach anymore. Hasn't been for awhile. Not surprised at all he might stay. There are good reasons he has been able to stay as long as he has.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

King Kong

? Just because his position is irrelevant?

I have no problem with Bobby Allen

pghawg1

I would imagine they are keeping Allen because of his connections to Ark high school coaches just like we r with Barry. I doubt that he will do any coaching on the field, probably in some administration role.

Uncommon

Oklahawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 08, 2017, 12:32:59 pm
He isn't a coach. He's a part of the staff but not a coach anymore. Hasn't been for awhile. Not surprised at all he might stay. There are good reasons he has been able to stay as long as he has.

Co-sign. Good idea to retain him.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Look, there are certain mission-critical positions we don't know much about as fans. Allen's work as HS and NFL liaison is one of those. While we all recognize the need to purge and allow Coach to start fresh we have to retain some folks who know how the UA system works, knows the hotels in Starkville, or Atlanta, or wherever, for when we travel, etc.

All the players on the team now + all the prospective players we are recruiting (or re-recruiting) need to hear a familiar voice from time to time. Plus, do not underestimate the need to retain "institutional knowledge."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Snout team

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 08, 2017, 02:26:14 pm
Look, there are certain mission-critical positions we don't know much about as fans. Allen's work as HS and NFL liaison is one of those. While we all recognize the need to purge and allow Coach to start fresh we have to retain some folks who know how the UA system works, knows the hotels in Starkville, or Atlanta, or wherever, for when we travel, etc.

All the players on the team now + all the prospective players we are recruiting (or re-recruiting) need to hear a familiar voice from time to time. Plus, do not underestimate the need to retain "institutional knowledge."

Agreed.  The sudden loss of all institutional knowledge can be a difficult thing to overcome and make rebuilding a program a much slower process than necessary.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 08, 2017, 02:26:14 pm

Agreed, Lunney is the only "on field" guy that should be retained now that Smith is gone.  The "off field" staff, much like a White House staff, should weather the transition more or less intact minus some changes just related to the different way that Morris will run the program.

ipigsooie

AHorseWithNoName

"A man on a horse is spiritually, as well as physically, bigger than a man on foot." — John Steinbeck

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: #hammerdown on December 08, 2017, 02:29:19 pm
Agreed.  The sudden loss of all institutional knowledge can be a difficult thing to overcome and make rebuilding a program a much slower process than necessary.

Which was crazy in that Long didn't want hardly any guys from Franks tenure around. I think in most industries and jobs you need some if only just a little or a few transitional people. I worked for a hotel company one time that bought a hotel in Atlanta. We kept the Manager of it on contract for six months as a consultant. He knew all the details about the place, it's customer base, employees and where all the bodies were buried so to speak. Was worth it just for the information he knew.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Flrazrback

Glad to have Barry Lunney Jr stay, he has proven his ability. Has great ties to the state and can recruit big. Not so excited about Bobby Allen, but he is administration and not coaching.

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2017, 08:40:13 am
Dude....He coached D-Mac, Felix, and Payton.....and a couple of 4/5* at Auburn.....

/s
So. Name a 1 star he coached up to a 4 or 5 star level. You or me could have coached D Mac or Felix.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

ricepig

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 08, 2017, 03:34:48 pm
So. Name a 1 star he coached up to a 4 or 5 star level. You or me could have coached D Mac or Felix.

This meant sarcasm. /s

supersaint

There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

Eddie Goodson

"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Lanlord on December 08, 2017, 03:56:09 pm
Oh God no!

Settle down. He is not a coach anymore and hasn't been for awhile. Even if he was, he is a good coach.

hawgXi

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on December 08, 2017, 08:30:35 am
This. Dude has pulled some players from LA. I think not retaining him would be a mistake, but only time will tell

agree.  really liked the boot hogs smith was bringing in

Lanlord

Quote from: MissippHog on December 08, 2017, 08:53:01 am
Someone please tell me he's all out of kids.    ;)

(BTW, I liked Brandon and Austin)

Post of the day!

Lanlord

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 08, 2017, 03:34:48 pm

Me to Dmac:  Go do what you do.

PorkRinds

Quote from: supersaint on December 08, 2017, 03:38:34 pm
No.

Yes. He and smith were the ones everyone was considering for the new staff. There were entire threads about it.

ricepig

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogdomer

Quote from: Hogfan46 on December 08, 2017, 08:41:10 am
It would not surprise me if CCM had already crossed paths and knew both Barry Lunney Jr. and Sr. in the course of their successful high school careers.

Morris didn't know them.  Barry is staying but not sure what capacity.  Probably not as an on the field coach.

98hogs

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2017, 09:40:46 pm
FWIW.

right now.

Doesn't surprise me with CCM's love for high school coaches. Barry grew up in a legend's home. He has the ability to relate to high school coaches. Just like CCM.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

rricha

I remember when Lou was hired Frank made him keep, Jessie, Ken and Harold
When Hatfield was hired he kept Jessie, Ken and Harold.

Tim Harris

DuffMcHog

I see Barry jr as an excellent link to traditions, not so much link to B.B., but to Arkansas as a whole. That said, I think it's wise that he was retained.
Restore the Razorback Pride! WPS and GHG.

urkillnmesmalls

Bobby Allen was the NFL relations guy, and didn't he also do something with recruiting...logistics coordinator, or something like that? 

No clue if he will be retained long term, but with the abbreviated recruiting period, if he has anything to do with that, it would seem silly to blow up what is already in the works, because we're going to have to rely on what's already in the wings for the most part. 

I don't know much about Lunney other than you don't hear a lot, and he doesn't get in trouble, and the players like him, and he coaches kids to awards and the NFL.  What's odd is...why he hasn't been snatched up and moved into a role with more responsibility?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HogHomer

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2017, 10:49:37 am
Bobby Allen was the NFL relations guy, and didn't he also do something with recruiting...logistics coordinator, or something like that? 

No clue if he will be retained long term, but with the abbreviated recruiting period, if he has anything to do with that, it would seem silly to blow up what is already in the works, because we're going to have to rely on what's already in the wings for the most part. 

I don't know much about Lunney other than you don't hear a lot, and he doesn't get in trouble, and the players like him, and he coaches kids to awards and the NFL.  What's odd is...why he hasn't been snatched up and moved into a role with more responsibility?
I'm pretty sure his title is)was on campus NFL/HS liaison. So I think he would direct and inform the NFL staff about prospective players and then help the HS coaches stay connected to the program whether it be visits during practice or the like.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HogHomer on December 11, 2017, 10:53:49 am
I'm pretty sure his title is)was on campus NFL/HS liaison. So I think he would direct and inform the NFL staff about prospective players and then help the HS coaches stay connected to the program whether it be visits during practice or the like.

That's what I thought.  More of a relations position.  Not sure why you wouldn't at least have him in place for another year to keep continuity, and see if he meets your standards.  I don't see how you would be able to get someone into that position and have them be immediately effective without any background. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HogHomer

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2017, 11:00:55 am
That's what I thought.  More of a relations position.  Not sure why you wouldn't at least have him in place for another year to keep continuity, and see if he meets your standards.  I don't see how you would be able to get someone into that position and have them be immediately effective without any background.
I'll be honest. You could probably put anyone in his position and it will be the same or better. I was once told that while Demertrious Wilson was playing WR for the hogs, a couple of scouts came to look at prospects for the next year during the spring, Bobby Allen had told the scouts the completely wrong name on what upcoming senior WR to watch. It wasn't even a name of another player on the team.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HogHomer on December 11, 2017, 11:07:17 am
I'll be honest. You could probably put anyone in his position and it will be the same or better. I was once told that while Demertrious Wilson was playing WR for the hogs, a couple of scouts came to look at prospects for the next year during the spring, Bobby Allen had told the scouts the completely wrong name on what upcoming senior WR to watch. It wasn't even a name of another player on the team.

You obviously are way more in the know than me!  I didn't even know his exact title!   ;D   I do think it's probably a good idea to keep some people on staff who have a good background and strong Arkansas ties.  If he doesn't do that, then I think that's a mistake.  I could EASILY be dead wrong too. 

HogHomer

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 11, 2017, 11:23:18 am
You obviously are way more in the know than me!  I didn't even know his exact title!   ;D   I do think it's probably a good idea to keep some people on staff who have a good background and strong Arkansas ties.  If he doesn't do that, then I think that's a mistake.  I could EASILY be dead wrong too.
I don't think your wrong. I think he would be good to keep too. Maybe not in that position but at least around the program. We need to show that once a Razorback always a Razorback.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HogHomer on December 11, 2017, 11:27:46 am
I don't think your wrong. I think he would be good to keep too. Maybe not in that position but at least around the program. We need to show that once a Razorback always a Razorback.

Yeah, that just strikes me as a situation where keeping him seems to carry less risk than replacing him, and ending up going..."Oh, I wish we had known that," about something that was already in the works.  Then again...if Morris has a whiz bang guy that he knows exhibits the traits that he desires for that position, I won't fault him if he does replace him. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: HogHomer on December 11, 2017, 11:07:17 am

Was he even in the same position when Wilson played here?