Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barry Lunney is the only member of the staff left in place

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, December 07, 2017, 09:40:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Atlhogfan1

Good.  Expected.  Hope he gets to stay for at least season for the transition. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2017, 09:42:46 pm
Good.  Expected.  Hope he gets to stay for at least season for the transition.

Looking like it, at least.

PorkRinds

Read something about Lunney putting Morris onto the newest in state DL offer. Sounds like he's still working. He was also a high school coH at one point...

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

MavND1973

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on December 07, 2017, 09:40:46 pm
FWIW.

right now.

I think he stays for a bit, and if he does leave it will be for a promotion. Morris seems smart enough to see Lunney's value in recruiting and political capital.

King Kong

The way Morris was talking about dividing up the state. I hope we don't have an Arkansas specific guy on staff.

However, I am glad Lunney is there now to help transition and let him know who we were on and who the best remaining kids in Arkansas are Bohanon, Bishop and Ferrell

jvanhorn

Quote from: Donny2665 on December 07, 2017, 11:18:14 pm
Need to throw an offer at Horton and bring him home!

Once we hired a coach, that was it for me.  It is his decision who he will hire and for reasons I am sure I have no privy too.  I am going to give him a chance

Vantage 8 dude

I was truly hoping that somehow we would hold on to Michael Smith. Dude has flat down a very good job of landing some very salty players from down in coon ass land.

Großer Kriegschwein

Justifiable Hogicide

It might be helpful to have at least one on staff that knows Arkansas.

MavND1973

I don't see any benefit to this. Morris seems to have a handle on how to deal with high school coaches and recruiting.

jkstock04

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogFoo

Well Lunney was the only member on the coaching staff (not counting GAs) that was a former Hog player, whom he had just called for all former Hogs to come by anytime and visit. So I doubt he cuts Lunney loose. At least right now.  Plus, Lunney coached HS ball too, and Morris obviously holds HS coaches in great regard.  So, I figure Lunney will catch. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hogs49ers

Lunney was a HS coach and Morris obviously has major respect for some HS coaches, I bet he stays on and helps connect Morris to the HS coaches of Arkansas.

EDIT:  Just saw your post Hog Foo, beat me to the HS coaching angle, but yes I completely agree +1
SCREW Vandy!

DoubleReedHawgCaller

He's a former Razorback and knows the state. Why wouldn't he want Lunney around? He said all past, present, and future Razorbacks are welcome in the program.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Donny2665

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

HogFoo

Quote from: MavND1973 on December 07, 2017, 11:26:13 pm
I don't see any benefit to this. Morris seems to have a handle on how to deal with high school coaches and recruiting.
Perhaps because Horton has became one heck of a recruiter since his tenure at Aubbie. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Donny2665

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 07, 2017, 11:23:40 pm
Once we hired a coach, that was it for me.  It is his decision who he will hire and for reasons I am sure I have no privy too.  I am going to give him a chance
I totally agree, I hope he tries to bring in another Arkansas guy to help with recruiting!

TheShow

Troll away, No and never again to any Horton!!!!!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Donny2665 on December 07, 2017, 11:37:59 pm
I totally agree, I hope he tries to bring in another Arkansas guy to help with recruiting!

How many "Arkansas guys" are needed to recruit the 7-10 FBS caliber recruits that are produced here?

1?
3?

MavND1973

Quote from: HogFoo on December 07, 2017, 11:37:26 pm
Perhaps because Horton has became one heck of a recruiter since his tenure at Aubbie.

How much of that is talent and how much of that is because it's easier to recruit to Auburn with Gus as the coach? Honestly I couldn't quantify that if I tried. This is just a gut feeling I have. I could be wrong.

Eddie Goodson

That bridge is burnt, I would expect. He was on the Gus Bus when it went up in flames.

I have asked this question and never gotten a solid answer. Outside of being a nice guy, what makes him a great coach in some people's eyes?
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

gohogs883

Very good coach, I am glad that he gets to stay, Coached at Bentonville High for a few years also

rzrbk4life

I think keeping lunney is a good idea. Knows the state well and has been good with the TEs
Let's call those hogs!!!!

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Snout team

Glad to see Lunney sticking around.  Hopefully if he is doing a good job as a position coach he is able to move up at some point.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Tim Harris

This seems like it was always going to be the case.  I can't think of the last time we didn't have at least 1 coach on the staff with Arkansas connections?

BOAR_N2BWILD

I don't want anything to do with Gus' crew.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Hogwild

Does anyone know how much the assistants leaving will cost us in buyouts?  Between Long's $4+ million, and CBB $11+ million, how much in total is the coaching change going to cost?

Just for the record, I fully believe Long & CBB need to go, just curious if it will cost us in excess of $20 million.

DeltaBoy

Barry Lunny is a great coach and recruiter.  Glad he's staying.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 07, 2017, 11:23:47 pm
I was truly hoping that somehow we would hold on to Michael Smith. Dude has flat down a very good job of landing some very salty players from down in coon ass land.

This. Dude has pulled some players from LA. I think not retaining him would be a mistake, but only time will tell

justmakeit2thebcs

Hawgndaaz

3 of Lunney's former TEs are playing on Sundays. He's a household name with high school coaches in the state. No way Morris lets go of him, because he'd go to someone else in the SECW and cherry pick Arkansas.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hogwild on December 08, 2017, 08:26:12 am
Does anyone know how much the assistants leaving will cost us in buyouts?  Between Long's $4+ million, and CBB $11+ million, how much in total is the coaching change going to cost?

Just for the record, I fully believe Long & CBB need to go, just curious if it will cost us in excess of $20 million.

It depends on what everyone makes at new jobs during the remaining term of their contract.  They all have an affirmative obligation to seek employment.  The number will be reduced by what they make somewhete else. 

For example, if Dan Enos would make $850K next year at Arkansas and he takes a job making $350K, we owe him $500K. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 08, 2017, 06:03:31 am
That bridge is burnt, I would expect. He was on the Gus Bus when it went up in flames.

I have asked this question and never gotten a solid answer. Outside of being a nice guy, what makes him a great coach in some people's eyes?

Dude....He coached D-Mac, Felix, and Payton.....and a couple of 4/5* at Auburn.....

/s

Hogfan46

It would not surprise me if CCM had already crossed paths and knew both Barry Lunney Jr. and Sr. in the course of their successful high school careers.

Hogusta National

I would prefer Lunney over Horton if I had to choose.  I see more upward shot with him.  Horton left with 'the Bus' - he chose his preference.

Hogusta National

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2017, 08:40:13 am
Dude....He coached D-Mac, Felix, and Payton.....and a couple of 4/5* at Auburn.....

/s

So did Danny 'Sonic' Nutt!

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on December 08, 2017, 08:26:12 am

Just for the record, I fully believe Long & CBB need to go, just curious if it will cost us in excess of $20m

As was mentioned, potentially around $20m, but it's all subject to their future employment. Some will just cost their salary until June 30, 2018, while Enos and Rhoads have longer contracts.I

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/mar/30/ua-board-approves-proposed-contract-paul-rhoads/

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/jan/20/dan-enos-gets-raise-contract-extension/

bphi11ips

I've had the opportunity to meet or watch all the Arkansas assistants working with parents and recruits on visits this year.  Barry Lunney has the best presence of any of them in my opinion.  He's a very impressive guy. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2017, 08:40:13 am

/s

Horton wrote a great book on running backs. 

The NewEra

Lunney - + H.S. experience + Father's H.S. reputation
Lunney - + Mackey Award winner recently added to his resume'.  No small deal.
Lunney - + Still young and energetic.
Lunney - + Former Arkansas Quarterback

hogfanny

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ricepig

Redhogs

Quote from: Hogusta National on December 08, 2017, 08:41:52 am
I would prefer Lunney over Horton if I had to choose.  I see more upward shot with him.  Horton left with 'the Bus' - he chose his preference.
THIS.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

LRHawg

I wouldn't have minded if CCM completely cleaned house, but I think retaining CBL Jr. was a smart move.