Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do we have the QB?

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, December 07, 2017, 01:53:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

is the QB that this new offense needs on our current roster? I know some have talked about highly touted QB prospects he may bring in, but is starting a freshman QB our best option for next year?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

HawgTrough

Bohannon would be the best option IMO. Go get him
WPS

OtterHog

Maybe Storey finally gets a shot if he stays.

Billy Bats

JUCO dual threat.  Go get him...he's out there. 

jjdlc

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on December 07, 2017, 01:53:38 pm
is the QB that this new offense needs on our current roster? I know some have talked about highly touted QB prospects he may bring in, but is starting a freshman QB our best option for next year?

Anyone other than Cole Kelly would be almost completely inexperienced next year.  Kelly may not be a perfect fit for his system, but he is no slouch either.  Storey wasn't much of a threat to run in HS, I believe Hyatt was though.  Don't know much about the walk-ons.

HawgTrough

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 01:55:27 pm
JUCO dual threat.  Go get him...he's out there. 

or grad transfer
WPS

checkraiser88

Morris plays a lot of underclassmen. I'd say a lot of positions are wide open

hogsanity

Unless CK is head and shoulder better then might as well play someone else and take your lumps.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ur

Kelley and Hyatt will be fine in this offense. They will do better in this offense than bert's. They both ran the spread from the shotgun in high school and they are both decent runners that can get you 3-4 yds per carry. QB isn't the question, developing an OL is.

GolfHog

Quote from: HawgTrough on December 07, 2017, 01:58:31 pm
or grad transfer

Kelly was another Bielema bungle, he was going nowhere. Look for a quick transfer. Morris will let him know early, time to move on.

GuvHog

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Kelly will be the starter.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The Lake Lizzard

Daulton will thrive in this offense. He can run and his arm is getting stronger every day. If he keeps working hard it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he won the job.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: HawgTrough on December 07, 2017, 01:58:31 pm
or grad transfer

Are you referring to a certain past hog?

...and no, I'm not referring to Vin Ascolese...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

The Kig

Quote from: ur on December 07, 2017, 02:01:06 pm
QB isn't the question, developing an OL is.

On both sides of the ball, the line was the primary reason for our failure this year.  No question...

You're right, I don't know how that suddenly improves.  I do think we will get rid of the ball much quicker, which will mask some of the matador OL play.
Poker Porker

GuvHog

Quote from: The Kig on December 07, 2017, 02:10:10 pm
On both sides of the ball, the line was the primary reason for our failure this year.  No question...

You're right, I don't know how that suddenly improves.  I do think we will get rid of the ball much quicker, which will mask some of the matador OL play.

The biggest problem with the Hog O Line this year is they were playing in an offense where they were expected to hold their blocks for a while. That won't be the case under Morris.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 02:00:47 pm
Unless CK is head and shoulder better then might as well play someone else and take your lumps.

I'm sure this guy is gonna chose who can run the offense the best and spin it the best too... Cole Kelley appears to be a grinder and not a whiner to me. let's see where shedding 10 to 20 pounds of bad weight will do for his agility. The guy is like having a fullback taking the snap. Tebow wasn't the fastest cat, and Cole Kelley isn't the slowest either... And just one more time I'll post this...

There are no highlights on youtube so you gotta hit the link...
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3137127/5721bb8964e96b6380ff331d
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

SooieGeneris

That will be one of the most interesting things to come out of this hire:

Does CM think Kelley is the guy or can be?

If not, he probably didn't recruit any of our guys out of HS and like a coach wanting "his guys" on staff will likely want "his guy" at the most important position on the field.

If he signs a JC QB in addition to Noland that would be telling. Any grad transfer wouldn't arrive until the summer and would be behind.

If he can get GB in the fold in addition to Noland, GB intends to enroll in Jan. so he would go through spring practice and we would have some idea whether there was any chance he plays as a freshman.

Noland plays baseball, so no spring practice for him and he could get drafted high by a MLB team in June, so his stated intention of going to college may still depend on where he gets drafted and how much $$$ is offered.

An insurance policy would be needed at QB if GB signs elsewhere because of Noland's baseball situation if he doesn't think the current QBs can run his offense.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out in the coming weeks.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

DeltaBoy

I hope the Steamboat stays and has a great career here.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: The Lake Lizzard on December 07, 2017, 02:05:06 pm
Daulton will thrive in this offense. He can run and his arm is getting stronger every day. If he keeps working hard it wouldn't surprise me a bit if he won the job.

For the players on campus, I think he's the winner in the whole coaching change. I think he has a good chance to get noticed.

code red

Quote from: jjdlc on December 07, 2017, 01:56:27 pm
Anyone other than Cole Kelly would be almost completely inexperienced next year.  Kelly may not be a perfect fit for his system, but he is no slouch either.  Storey wasn't much of a threat to run in HS, I believe Hyatt was though.  Don't know much about the walk-ons.
I would disagree I doubt you see Kelly taking snaps in the fall but...what do I know. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: GolfHog on December 07, 2017, 02:01:45 pm
Kelly was another Bielema bungle, he was going nowhere. Look for a quick transfer. Morris will let him know early, time to move on.
I would agree.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

parallaxpig

My money's on Conner Noland. That kid can spin the ball.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

rtr

When he steps into his throw he is really accurate.  Looks leaner and faster in those videos as well. 
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Dionysos25

"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

oxhog24

Quote from: parallaxpig on December 07, 2017, 02:24:07 pm
My money's on Conner Noland. That kid can spin the ball.

This....Noland has been running basically the same offense at Greenwood for 3 years now...spread with a power running game...he is a special talent the a lot of people are over looking.

GuvHog

Quote from: Dionysos25 on December 07, 2017, 02:25:26 pm

Yeah, some on here are seriously underestimating Cole Kelly and the difference a year can make, not to mention a spring practice and an off season working with the Morris staff.

azhog10

Quote from: GuvHog on December 07, 2017, 02:02:15 pm
I think it's a pretty safe bet that Kelly will be the starter.
Why!? Most inaccurate QB I've watched in years.

H&D

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 07, 2017, 01:59:35 pm
Morris plays a lot of underclassmen. I'd say a lot of positions are wide open

Because he had to at SMU, the previous coach there forgot part of his job was to recruit players.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Razorbackers

Quote from: Dionysos25 on December 07, 2017, 02:25:26 pm

Man, that's a big kid with quick feet.

Get his arm reeled in and you got a classic spread QB. No need to force a running QB into the position when you have a mobile giant.

PORKULATOR

CK will be Clark Kent in this offense. If... IF, he loses some weight and gets in the best cardio shape of his life. He'll be golden.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

ipigsooie

I do not understand how you guys wouldn't think Cole Kelly would be the starter. Inaccurate?  Look at his completion percentage and qbr. Look at his td to int ratio. Then look at the fact that he was a freshman playing against bama and the like.

Now Google Dak Prescott stats. He barely played as a Freshman and as a sophomore his stats were very similar to CK. Ck and Dak are both big guys that can extend the pocket and make runs when needed.

I don't know what expectations you had for the kid behind that line last year and that situation but I can't believe you think some true freshmen would be a better situation. Most schools aren't even recruiting Bohannon as a qb. He is RAW! Rhat being said, I hope, for our season that Kelly wins the job. He has experience and will give us the best chance.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: azhog10 on December 07, 2017, 02:46:24 pm
...And 27 minutes ago you said Chad Morris was the harbinger of doom for the Arkansas Football program. Do you buy your paranoia by the gram..?
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Dominicanhog

Didn't he and AA have the same completion %.. I haven't checked your post, but curios,  is that what you thought of him as well?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 07, 2017, 02:52:23 pm

Get his arm reeled in and you got a classic spread QB. No need to force a running QB into the position when you have a mobile giant.

The lean and lung is 7yds alone..

Arkiebarkie

Connor Nolan has arm and can run.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2017, 02:00:47 pm
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

clew

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 07, 2017, 03:05:00 pm
Didn't he and AA have the same completion %.. I haven't checked your post, but curios,  is that what you thought of him as well?
Yes.  And it's not like CK was playing the creampuff portion of the schedule.
Pure as the dawn

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Razorbackers on December 07, 2017, 02:52:23 pm

Not sure he's actually that mobile.  All his runs were scripted.  Very different from escaping a collapsing pocket and extending the play another 3 seconds.

He desperately needs coaching on his footwork and throwing the ball. 

SemperHawg

This... Everyone keeps talking about him being too slow to run this offense.  His legs are not he problem.  His release time and accuracy will be what keeps him from running this offense.  The ball needs to come out fast and needs to be well placed.  I have seen neither of these qualities form CK thus far.  We will get to see how hard he works on his own this summer and that will go a long way to telling us if he can be the starter.

HBTHogs

His QB this season averaged 3.9 carries for 6.6 yards per game

Razorbackers

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 07, 2017, 03:16:38 pm
Not sure he's actually that mobile.  All his runs were scripted. 

You just described a football play.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HawgTrough on December 07, 2017, 01:54:22 pm
Bohannon would be the best option IMO. Go get him
Bohannon, Daulton Hyatt, and Connor Noland all could.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Kevin

I would doubt Kelly checks in at 270 at spring practice
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

arkansashogs

we dont have a QB, period. Coke is very rough and mentally immature.

Billy Bats

Cole wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  I see him recruiting a speedy guy.

hvsupastar

Anybody but Cole Kelley. He is the worst
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 07, 2017, 03:16:38 pm
Not sure he's actually that mobile.  All his runs were scripted.  Very different from escaping a collapsing pocket and extending the play another 3 seconds.

He desperately needs coaching on his footwork and throwing the ball. 

Hell he get's 3 extra seconds in read time from his height and size alone... You're just being contrary for the sake of it... We all know the best guy is going to be in there.

Beaverfever

I think Noland will start right out of the gate.