Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Otis Kirk states that he heard that Venables is in fact coming to Arkansas as DC

Started by DuckTalesLOL, December 05, 2017, 05:30:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRock

jry04

Quote from: thebignasty on December 05, 2017, 06:53:46 pm
He's already making 1.7 mil at Clemson, I believe.
Offer $2.7m and make him say no to a $1 million raise. We were offering $7.1m for Gus alone, and then we were still approving a large pool for assistants. We would be under $7.1m for a HC and elite DC alone if this worked out.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: jry04 on December 05, 2017, 06:57:30 pm
Offer $2.7m and make him say no to a $1 million raise. We were offering $7.1m for Gus alone, and then we were still approving a large pool for assistants. We would be under $7.1m for a HC and elite DC alone if this worked out.

Good point +1
SCREW Vandy!

Donny2665

This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

thebignasty

If we are really going after him I think the offer has to be in the 2.2 range. Still a massive raise.

Just pointing out doubling wasn't feasible.

If it's Morris and Venables, it's a major coup. I'll believe it when I see it.

Arthur pigby sellers.

When will ya'll ever learn that Otis knows nothing?  Think about this logically for a second and you will realize it's not going to happen.  It might possibly get Venerables a raise but that's it. 

texas tush hog

Quote from: Acehawg on December 05, 2017, 05:33:37 pm
If this in fact happens.  Morris would be a great hire at least until Venables left for a head coaching job.

Here, here, Dilly, Dilly.

PA_HOG

What is wrong with some of you folks?  If Morris is the hire, quit crying and get behind the guy!  What else ya gonna do?  Quit being a fan?

If Venables (unlikely) does come, isn't that the best hire(s) in all of CFB?  I'll take that combo over Jimbo, Chip, Frost, etc.  Hope!

Who loved the Lou Holtz hire at the time, coming off a piss poor showing with the Jets?

Who loved the Petrino hire after he abandoned the Falcons mid-season?

Everybody was nobody before they were somebody!  Then again, Morris was the highest paid AC a few years ago...

You don't have to have thousands of posts on here to know football and love the Hogs!

King Kong

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on December 05, 2017, 07:25:44 pm
When will ya'll ever learn that Otis knows nothing?  Think about this logically for a second and you will realize it's not going to happen.  It might possibly get Venerables a raise but that's it.

I agree it is unlikely. However, it didn't originate from Gus. PRJ reported this morning saying Venables wants to be closer to home and is good friends with Morris.

Footballscoop also reported and didn't get it from Otis.

I also believe it won't happen. But atleast Morris is trying

TX HOG

"We were willing to pay Gus 7 million. I'd pay Morris 4.5 and Venables 2.5 and make him assistant HC". Text this to my dad an hour ago. Haha. Great minds...

TX HOG

My dad heard on tv or radio that Brent and Chad are very good friends. Maybe True

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: SlickWilly on December 05, 2017, 05:31:44 pm
Otis Kirk is less credible than Wally.

The Venables rumor is just to make the underwhelming Morris hire seem exciting.
Who is Venables agent? Just looking to make more money for Venebales.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

hawgtime

Quote from: thebignasty on December 05, 2017, 07:20:20 pm
If we are really going after him I think the offer has to be in the 2.2 range. Still a massive raise.

Just pointing out doubling wasn't feasible.

If it's Morris and Venables, it's a major coup. I'll believe it when I see it.

CLEMSON west?  something better happen or Morris will be a BUST

Nosboar Accubond

TX HOG

PA_HOG

Hell... give Venables 3.5 too!  Still less than Gus and I'll take that combo over him!

twistitup

Quote from: phadedhawg on December 05, 2017, 05:48:13 pm
If Venables is willing to work for Chad Morris we need to give him a drug test, and run a credit check and see if he has a pending indictment.  It doesn't add up.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hawgbawb

Quote from: phadedhawg on December 05, 2017, 05:48:13 pm
If Venables is willing to work for Chad Morris we need to give him a drug test, and run a credit check and see if he has a pending indictment.  It doesn't add up.
Did they work together at Clemson?
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

B Ray

Quote from: hawgbawb on December 05, 2017, 07:57:49 pm
Did they work together at Clemson?
yes they did, were good friends, Venables supposedly purchased Morris's home when he left for SMU

zebradynasty

It would be GREAT the best of both worlds. Listening to Venables interview at the Broyles award he certainly didn't sound like a guy that wasn't interested in the job. I mean I know he's got to be careful about what to say in these situations but I dunno he just had a look about him that he likes the idea of coming to Arkansas.

On the other hand...Arkansas is the Wil E Coyote of college football we will mess this up! :-\

Athog

root_hawg

redeye

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 05, 2017, 06:42:24 pm
EXACTLY! They're playing a game and as long as we keep playing the fool they'll keep playing the game with us because we keep falling for it. Trust nothing that isn't in writing, and even then only trust half.

For all you know, they could have something in writing.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: Athog on December 05, 2017, 08:06:08 pm
Wow everyone is holding their breath for your support!
I have a feeling that he represents over half of the fan base.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Hog Pharm

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 05, 2017, 08:14:20 pm

I have a feeling he represents a tiny crazy fringe of the fan base.

hawgwash

Would love to see Venables.  He was my first choice for HC after Campbell wasn't an option.  Why would he leave a great gig at Clemson to come here as DC?  I don't know.  How close friends is he with Morris, really?  Does he still have family in Kansas?  Any unhappiness with Dabo?  Is it possible he sees this as a unique challenge?  Maybe he thinks that his recruiting ties to Texas plus Morris ties there would make them a powerful recruiting force?  I can't see it happening but I wanna believe!

Redhogs

You are all suckers....we just got shafted and you idiots are begging for more. BV is not coming within 1500 miles of this clown show...wake up.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 05, 2017, 08:14:20 pm
Half?? That's a knee slapper, more like 80% feel like this is some sort of cruel joke
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

HillbillyHog88

Quote from: Redhogs on December 05, 2017, 08:35:06 pm
You are all suckers....we just got shafted and you idiots are begging for more. BV is not coming within 1500 miles of this clown show...wake up.

Good thing Clemson is only 823 miles away from the University of Arkansas. Was just too good of an opportunity to pass up. Continue on.
"You'll be able to spit nails kid. Like the guy says, you're gonna eat lightning and you're gonna crap thunder. You're gonna become a very dangerous person."

redeye

Quote from: hawgwash on December 05, 2017, 08:20:00 pm
Would love to see Venables.  He was my first choice for HC after Campbell wasn't an option.  Why would he leave a great gig at Clemson to come here as DC?  I don't know.  How close friends is he with Morris, really?  Does he still have family in Kansas?  Any unhappiness with Dabo?  Is it possible he sees this as a unique challenge?  Maybe he thinks that his recruiting ties to Texas plus Morris ties there would make them a powerful recruiting force?  I can't see it happening but I wanna believe!

Only thing I can tell you is that he allegedly wants to move closer to home, he only plans to coach for around 10 more years and I believe his son will/does play for Clemson.

IronHog

Quote from: root_hawg on December 05, 2017, 08:09:19 pm
Clemson to Ark .. lateral move ... don't think so

Could be as simple as aging parents nearer NWA

Guy doesn't strike me as a career at all costs type man
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Inhogswetrust

If he doesn't get Venables maybe he can get Venables former Co-DC at Clemson Marion Hobby. He's now with the Jaguars I think. Heck I would be happy if he kept PR.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

porkrindjimmy

Spektre

Throw 2.2 million at Venables and Clemson will match. It has to be something that they'll really think hard about. They lean on him a TON. I'd say you're looking at $2.5 million to make them squirm.

fister

Quote from: WoooPigNation on December 05, 2017, 08:02:52 pm
So he is going to destroy his career by leaving a school that has competed for and won nation championships, gets paid $1.7M, and is going to be a head coach at a P5 school very soon to come to Arkansas who had 1 conference win last year and possibly the worst defense in the SEC.

Ok. Brent you do you but sounds like a hostage situation to me.

I don't know BV, and I don't have a source, but Clemson and Arkansas were about the same level 10 years ago and took different trajectory's. Maybe he does only want to coach 10 more years, maybe he likes being the DC and not worrying about head coach stuff. Maybe close to 2 million dollars a year is enough money and he wants a new challenge. Maybe he and Morris really are good friends. I don't know if he comes (I doubt it), but you have to think Morris has friends that will come to be coordinators (he seems to be well liked).

Pigstie

The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

porkrindjimmy

pghawg1

We MAY not get ventables, but at least we are stepping up to the plate and trying.

Matt Burks

Actually putting that out may blow the whole thing. If we legit had the chance to get Venables and Otis burned it by putting that out ...

leroyhawg

God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

I hope it's true but things that are too good to be true usually are.
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

Pork Twain

All things being equal, I am liking the Morris hire compared to Norvell and Gus.  All three are very similar in what they have been able to do.  Difference is Texas ties and building something from the ground up are in Morris's favor.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Calvin Swine

I would love to hope this is true but it just doesn't pass the smell test.  Venables wants to be closer to home?  It's not like he has to travel by horse and buggy to get there.  Take it with an ounce of hope and a pound of skepticism.  If I'm wrong then I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Airforcehawg

Quote from: WoooPigNation on December 05, 2017, 08:02:52 pm
So he is going to destroy his career by leaving a school that has competed for and won nation championships, gets paid $1.7M, and is going to be a head coach at a P5 school very soon to come to Arkansas who had 1 conference win last year and possibly the worst defense in the SEC.

Ok. Brent you do you but sounds like a hostage situation to me.

I wonder if the Clemson Fans thought the same thing when the rumors started breaking out that he was going to leave OU for them?

While Clemson then was in better shape the we are now...it is not to far from the same scenario.

hawgette92

Quote from: hawgwash on December 05, 2017, 08:20:00 pm

Him and Chad Morris are friends...they worked together for a couple of years at Clemson.  But that is pretty much it, and the fact he bought his house doesn't forge some band of brothers bond.  Dabo is GREAT to his staff...his son plays HS football with Brent's son and Brent has said that it really doesn't matter what is going on the next day or who they are playing, him and Dabo go watch them play ball together with their families on Friday nights.  Dabo specifically allocates family time for his coaches. 

There is no way in hell Venables is leaving Clemson unless it is for the right HC job, and to this point he has been extremely picky as he has been interviewed for many jobs.  He's taking the Kirby Smart route and may be waiting for a specific job (I would guess K State).  With Snyder being 77 and battling cancer, he may not have to wait much longer. 

Venables is also extremely loyal to his bosses and has said he is not inclined to move jobs for money.  He was loyal to Stoops for years until Stoops screwed him and brought Mike back in as DC.  Many said Stoops was pushing Venables out to make room for Mark to have sole control of the defense, which is why he went to Clemson.

3kgthog

I don't get a "playing the raise" game vibe out of BV. You can usually spot the fake ones that use their faith and morals as coach speak, i.e. Gus and Freeze. BV's faith might be why he's not a head coach yet. He's waiting to be led somewhere. Perhaps he could feel led to be at Arkansas with his friend Morris.

If this does come to pass, it's a perfect scenario. Say Morris fails. Then you've got BV waiting in the wings to take over and you get one of your original top 3 anyway.

hawgette92

Quote from: Airforcehawg on December 05, 2017, 11:15:33 pm
I wonder if the Clemson Fans thought the same thing when the rumors started breaking out that he was going to leave OU for them?

While Clemson then was in better shape the we are now...it is not to far from the same scenario.

Its night and day difference.  Stoops brought his brother back in to run the D, essentially demoting Venables.  Many said it was a power play to push Venables out so Mike could run the D alone. 

Coondog Hog

It's all over Facebook and Twitter now too.  This is highly unlikely and was mostly put out to soothe our butt hurt over the hire.  The fact that we feed this long shot unlikely b.s. makes us look stupid nation wide.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..