Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB places blame on Petrino, JLS

Started by twistitup, October 19, 2017, 08:26:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 20, 2017, 08:17:44 am
LOL. Bielema came in and pulled offers by several (if not most) of the guys offered by smile.

I posted a link to the class the year P was fired.

#27 nationally- JLS welcomed them onto campus and kept them together

Otha Peters, Hawkins, and a couple others left, but most stayed.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PorkRinds

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 20, 2017, 12:05:34 am

I haven't seen any evidence that Bert has been an upgrade over Smilie.  Same basic record.

Jeffy only gave Smilie one year.  Who knows what he could have done with another four?  We could be the defending SEC champion.
Oh look. Some more really dumb darn.

twistitup

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 20, 2017, 08:17:44 am
LOL. Bielema came in and pulled offers by several (if not most) of the guys offered by smile.

That was back when whoiskid was telling us what an elite recruiting job John l Smith was doing.

CBB / John L

Not much difference except salary

DeltaBoy

He knows there is blood in the water and his spear gun is broke.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Redhogs

Quote from: twistitup on October 20, 2017, 08:37:16 am
CBB / John L

Not much difference except salary
Correct actually..if you extrapulate smiley's SEC record (2-6) out for the 5 years Bert has been here they would have the same # of wins..wrap your mind around that.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Redhogs on October 20, 2017, 09:00:30 am
Correct actually..if you extrapulate smiley's SEC record (2-6) out for the 5 years Bert has been here they would have the same # of wins..wrap your mind around that.

I knew Nutter was better than Butters,  but who would have ever thought John L. was comparable to Butters?

East Clintwood

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2017, 08:30:44 am
Oh look. Some more really dumb darn.

Somebody has to counterbalance the massive amount bullcrap you leave around here.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

PorkRinds

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 20, 2017, 12:37:59 pm

Somebody has to counterbalance the massive amount bullcrap you leave around here.

Oh, ok. You're doing a great job.

East Clintwood

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2017, 12:48:05 pm

Thank you.  I try to help out when I can.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

razorsharptusk

GO HOGS!!

longbore

If Bielema can get you to believe BP and JLS are at fault then he can push the idea that he's partially responsible for Wisconsins #5 ranking...lol

JOKERHOG

Quote from: East Clintwood on October 20, 2017, 12:05:34 am

I haven't seen any evidence that Bert has been an upgrade over Smilie.  Same basic record.

Jeffy only gave Smilie one year.  Who knows what he could have done with another four?  We could be the defending SEC champion.

I got banned at a couple of years ago for stating the JLS would have won more games and Bielema to that point.  I believed it then and I beleive it now
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

JOKERHOG

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2017, 12:48:05 pm

You have no credibility on HV after years of defending BB when is was easy to see what was coming
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 20, 2017, 07:25:04 am
Smile has been a head coach at 7 places including Arkansas. He's had a winning record at exactly................ONE of them.
You might want to double check your info.  JLS had pretty good runs at Idaho & Louisville.  He's won 6 conference championships, and finished 2nd six times.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: rhames on October 19, 2017, 08:32:33 am
Has the rebuild been tougher than you thought? "Great question. I walked into the environment in Wisconsin and I already knew things. To walk into this situation, you want to have success in Year 1, whether it's X&O's, recruiting, etc. You miss landmines that could come up down the road. There are many different factors that come into it. All the drama to Petrino and the JL era, turned it into a tougher job. There's no one that wants to be positive these days, everyone wants to be negative. I'm excited, we just need to win games."

Man what a weird time to use that excuse.
darn that Petrino getting Ark to a BCS bowl in year 3 and going to Cotton Bowl in year 4 and having his team ranked in top 5 in the nation.  That darn Petrino just ruining the program has made it so tough on BB. Blasted BP, how dare he have all that terrible success in only 4 years. I guess its just so hard to "recover" from that as BB has shown us.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on October 20, 2017, 06:34:10 pm
darn that Petrino getting Ark to a BCS bowl in year 3 and going to Cotton Bowl in year 4 and having his team ranked in top 5 in the nation.  That darn Petrino just ruining the program has made it so tough on BB. Blasted BP, how dare he have all that terrible success in only 4 years. I guess its just so hard to "recover" from that as BB has shown us.
That Bobby was a real meanie and a spoil sport, plus he'd had an eye for the ladies.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on October 20, 2017, 06:34:10 pm

Oh what a short term memory we have. If all you care about is wins, he is your man. I want wins, but I want a coach who also represents the University in the best possible way as well. He may be very capable from the standpoint of offensive scheming, game planning and setting defenses up for the big play, but he also needs someone to cover up for his bad behavior, and I'm not just referring to chasing girls.
Go Hogs Go!

Hog N Bama

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 19, 2017, 08:31:53 am
Yep.  It sucks when a coach shows you can be top ten at Arkansas and an incompetent buffoon has to try to match that.
BINGO. #3 to be exact

Hollywood870

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 19, 2017, 08:31:53 am
Yep.  It sucks when a coach shows you can be top ten at Arkansas and an incompetent buffoon has to try to match that.

Tusks

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 20, 2017, 07:24:43 pm
Oh what a short term memory we have. If all you care about is wins, he is your man. I want wins, but I want a coach who also represents the University in the best possible way as well. He may be very capable from the standpoint of offensive scheming, game planning and setting defenses up for the big play, but he also needs someone to cover up for his bad behavior, and I'm not just referring to chasing girls.

Then get an AD with some balls and put a leash on the HC and put him in line.   Now that's worth a $1M bucks/yr.  JL needed to earn his paycheck and learn how to manage his coach.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

zuko

No, not so. Blame is on Jeff Long who made a big mistake by hiring John Smith to coach the team after Petrino. Probably set things back two years at least.  Unfortunately Smith's best days were behind him while the best guys to handle he job were ignored, namely the staff who was left behind. The recruiting stopped and so did the coaching. Then Long put fuel on the fire by hiring a coach who didn't know a darned thing about SEC football and it's still showing in his 5th year. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is the exodus of the coaches that came with him, you know, all of that loyal group that came with him. What happened there. He has been in a constant struggle to find able assistants that he can rely on which again is surfacing with his new DC this year. Sameo Sameo.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 19, 2017, 08:31:14 am
If anything, Petrino's defensive recruits actually performed better than any of Bert's.

HUH?   Dude has to score 60 to win a game? 

Razorbax

Boo **** hoo....Who in the hell said the only thing we care about is wins.....You and the posse are the water boys for keeping this exaggerated concept about wins being the only factor. 
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 20, 2017, 07:24:43 pm

rude1

Pure NONSENSE, how can something that has transpired BEFORE you got here make it tougher? Those things happened before he took the money, not after, so they didn't make it any harder than it was already going to be when he agreed to take the money. He could have said NO thanks, because it's not like he didn't know what the situation was.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rude1 on October 21, 2017, 02:02:18 am
Pure NONSENSE, how can something that has transpired BEFORE you got here make it tougher?

? Makes no sense.  Do you think what has happened at Ole Miss will make it tougher on their next coach?   What the predecessor did or didn't do almost always affects the next coach in the beginning. Think Mike was affected by his predecessors in his early building effort?  Based on your post no. 

Bielema should have the program past it now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

USChog

He was just stating that the Petrino fiasco and JLS was a challenge to over come. He was asked a question and he answered it. Y'all are reading way too much into it. If I was asked that question I would have responded the same way.

MuskogeeHogFan

Pure NONSENSE, how can something that has transpired BEFORE you got here make it tougher? Those things happened before he took the money, not after, so they didn't make it any harder than it was already going to be when he agreed to take the money. He could have said NO thanks, because it's not like he didn't know what the situation was.

You are smarter than that. Even the talking heads on Gameday agreed that the negativity of that time made the initial start of the Bielema era more difficult than it should have been under a more normal situation.

And I'll say this, not to defend Bielema, because he has had more than enough time to right the ship and produce better teams than he has, but simply because I hate what a lot of you are doing and that is just making up stuff to be even more negative about. No need for that.

Bielema is a good man who loves his players and wants to do right by them and the program and the University, but he just doesn't seem to be able to climb the SEC competition mountain and produce more wins. Without all of the other excuses fans are trying to come up with, including the unnecessary and extremely immature comments by posters who are supposed to be adults, about his weight, mannerisms or style of dress, all we really need to say is, he hasn't got it done. That's enough.
Go Hogs Go!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on October 19, 2017, 08:46:45 am
This.

And, some "fans" refuse to see it.
Absolutely, you have many on here who will argue that the program was in fine condition when he took the job which is idiotic at best.

GuvHog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 21, 2017, 12:29:00 pm
Absolutely, you have many on here who will argue that the program was in fine condition when he took the job which is idiotic at best.

It was in decent shape and the proof is in the pudding. Bielema's best defense at Arkansas (2014) was anchored by Petrino recruits which made up over half of the defensive starting lineup. It's no coincidence that the defense tanked after they left.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GuvHog on October 21, 2017, 12:47:37 pm
It was in decent shape and the proof is in the pudding. Bielema's best defense at Arkansas (2014) was anchored by Petrino recruits which made up over half of the defensive starting lineup. It's no coincidence that the defense tanked after they left.

Spaight wasn't.  Petrino thought he was too short.  As discussed that season much of their success came against teams with poor qb play. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HiggiePiggy

It wasn't in great shape, but the amount of games we have lost while leading in the second half and every game that we were losing in the second half is on him for not being able to make adjustments at halftime and looking lost a lot on the sidelines.  That isn't on talent. That is on coaching. Started in year 1 and still continues in year 5.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

porkurina

How about recruiting well and hiring outstanding assistants.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: porkurina on October 21, 2017, 02:34:50 pm
How about recruiting well and hiring outstanding assistants.

That is great and all, but our recruiting isn't going to be above Alabama, auburn, Texas A&M, and LSU every single year.  We will be on par with Ole Miss and almost always out recruit Mississippi State.  So no matter what we are already behind 4 teams every single year in the recruiting section.  I want a coach that knows something about either offense or defense. I want them to be the primary person in their profession.  Hire some good coordinators that help, but I want my coach to know more than his coordinator at either offense or defense.  Because coordinators come and go often especially if they do well at mediocre programs. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GuvHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 21, 2017, 12:49:42 pm
Spaight wasn't.  Petrino thought he was too short.  As discussed that season much of their success came against teams with poor qb play. 

True, but he was only 1 player and a good one at that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PorkRinds

Wait what? Your first sentence is hilarious.

The Kig

While I get that Bert hasn't done a good job in a year that really counts, what did he say that was inaccurate?  He answered a direct question related to whether the rebuild was harder than expected.  I know logic doesn't really work when the torches are lit and the pitchforks are in the hands of the knuckledragging mob, but what was the "right" answer?  "Nah, it was way easier than I thought.  Been a smooth ride to the top"... 

Seriously, he did walk into a dumpster fire.  If he gets replaced this year, his successor isn't walking into a good situation either.  Does that mean succes can't happen?  No, but that doesn't make it a cakewalk.  Given the dynamics in place with regards to recruiting and being in the SEC West, I don't think the next guy will have enough to get there either. 
Poker Porker

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 21, 2017, 05:47:24 pm
Wait what? Your first sentence is hilarious.

Don't blame the guy before you if you aren't getting it done in year 5
...you knew what you were stepping into- stop making excuses and go win some damn  🏈 games

The Kig

Quote from: twistitup on October 21, 2017, 06:01:20 pm
Don't blame the guy before you if you aren't getting it done in year 5
...you knew what you were stepping into- stop making excuses and go win some damn  🏈 games

Dumas....the question he was asked and answered wasn't about year 5. It was about the rebuild coming in... Your agenda is showing.  Might want to cover up a lil.
Poker Porker

seasonhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 19, 2017, 09:00:20 am
I read somewhere this week that reasons for lack of success in year two sound like excuses in year 5.

Bottom line? Our job is not an easy one. It was made more difficulty by what Bret alluded to with Petrino and John L. Smith. Throw in the mix Bielema's football philosophy, which wasn't a great fit to begin with and is now being altered mid-stream, and you get his record at Arkansas and our present position.

I don't buy that Petrino set us back........." yes " Smith did.....but that was on Long........Bielema is a bad coach.....sold many fans on his bull.

SEC games the last few years.....is what has killed our recruiting.....not many good players want to go through that.

wachhog

BB's fighting for his next job. IMO. Hoping prospective employers will think Arkansas was just an impossible task. Trouble is an AD worth his salt will look closely at Wisconsin and see that it hasn't missed a beat since Bret left. If anything, it has improved. So, Bret's""resume" was as a caretaker. Most schools that will be looking for coachs need  than a caretaker. As did Arkansas. Then and now.

twistitup

Quote from: The Kig on October 21, 2017, 06:04:12 pm
Dumas....the question he was asked and answered wasn't about year 5. It was about the rebuild coming in... Your agenda is showing.  Might want to cover up a lil.

Doesn't matter Dumas...my only agenda is seeing good football

Shut up and coach