Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Change is in the air...

Started by Porkatarian, October 11, 2017, 10:37:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 11, 2017, 02:01:05 pm
We allowed the outlier in our football history - HDN's behavior - to scrub virtually every Arkansan from the Broyles Complex. Having a history within our program suddenly labeled you as part of the "Good ol' Boy Network."

That sound like a reasonable reaction to have had?

I may be in the minority, but as time passes, my opinion of Nutt has gotten more favorable.

He had his faults, and his ego prevented him from accepting Gus and taking this team to the top in 2006 and 2007, but he did a pretty good job here averaging 7.5 wins a year, including three 9 win seasons and a 10 win season in his ten years here.

searkhogfan

Quote from: Sivad on October 11, 2017, 12:39:14 pm
Half right.
Yes, he should have let Danny Ford have another year.
But, no, Houston Nutt was NOT Coach Broyles’s choice.

This is correct.  Tubs was JFB's choice.  The hiring committee when with HDN...

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on October 11, 2017, 02:39:26 pm
This is the most vague post ever on this board.

Some will like his post, some won't........

elksnort

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 11, 2017, 02:40:45 pm
I may be in the minority, but as time passes, my opinion of Nutt has gotten more favorable.

He had his faults, and his ego prevented him from accepting Gus and taking this team to the top in 2006 and 2007, but he did a pretty good job here averaging 7.5 wins a year, including three 9 win seasons and a 10 win season in his ten years here.
In light of the success rate of this current staff, I would absolutely agree. At least ole Dale could get the team up every once in awhile.

Hawgndaaz

this isn't vague, this is classic porkatarian.

The_Iceman

Quote from: elksnort on October 11, 2017, 02:55:12 pm
In light of the success rate of this current staff, I would absolutely agree. At least ole Dale could get the team up every once in awhile.

I think he was a good head coach, just a bad OC. If he would have truly given over the offense to Gus, he would have been coach for a long time. Could have even retired on top in 2007 after a big year and been the next AD.

Stubbornness and Ego prevented that.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 11, 2017, 02:40:45 pm

If Nutt had not been a narcissistic fool, he could have been coach for as long as he wanted.  But he couldn't help himself.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 11, 2017, 03:00:58 pm
I think he was a good head coach, just a bad OC. If he would have truly given over the offense to Gus, he would have been coach for a long time. Could have even retired on top in 2007 after a big year and been the next AD.

Let's not get carried away on ole Dale. He was good enough had he not messed it up for himself to have kept the job.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on October 11, 2017, 12:37:36 pm
John White ran Blair off..That is a fact.

The GOBN loved White. He took the AD job down a notch which created a power vacuum in the athletic department that the GOBN slid right into. Rumor was they were also doing funny things with money and Nutt was involved as well which allowed him to get the two year pass, a deal Lindsey was to have brokered.

White was taking advice from the GOBN. Some were members of the board of trustees so to believe White acted unilareally in decision making is folly.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 11, 2017, 03:00:58 pm

I doubt it would have worked out even then. Gus was OC under 3 different HCs and got crossways with all 3 of them. Gus was used to running the show as a high school HC and didn't like being overruled as OC by any of the 3 college HCs he worked under.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawgon

Dale suffered a lot of the same failings as a coach that Bert does.  But he was a world class motivator and could get his kids up to unbelievable heights once or twice a year.  It didn't stop working for him in that regard until year three at Ole Miss.

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 11, 2017, 03:03:31 pm
The GOBN loved White. He took the AD job down a notch which created a power vacuum in the athletic department that the GOBN slid right into. Rumor was they were also doing funny things with money and Nutt was involved as well which allowed him to get the two year pass, a deal Lindsey was to have brokered.

White was taking advice from the GOBN. Some were members of the board of trustees so to believe White acted unilareally in decision making is folly.

You talkin a little real estate between friends?n I'm no HDN supporter.

hawg1221

Yes, I love this cool weather.

gmarv

He drove a lot of fans Nutts by winning and losing games he should not of.

ShadowHawg

Still strong Arkansas presence in the Broyles Complex.

Dave Van Horn
MA
Mike Neighbors

The GOBN was replaced by other Arkansans, not some Yankee ad.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 11, 2017, 03:07:05 pm

And the deals never stopped to a certain degree.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on October 11, 2017, 03:07:05 pm

It was how it was said to have been financed that was shady.

Bacons Rebellion

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 11, 2017, 03:15:35 pm
Still strong Arkansas presence in the Broyles Complex.

Dave Van Horn
MA
Mike Neighbors

The GOBN was replaced by other Arkansans, not some Yankee ad.

Well, to be truthful, the BAC, outside of football, was mostly athletic department employees, not many Arkansans left. The coaches you mentioned are just further down the road in their own facilities.

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 11, 2017, 03:03:31 pm

No, it isn't folly. It's why he was eventually forced out. Frank was the GOBN's man and they didn't like the way White treated him.

elksnort

The title of the post reminds me of a song in the 70's, "Love is in the air"

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 11, 2017, 11:13:07 am
It is a little chilly in NWA this morning.

DRFFFSH out...
Send me some air change...HOT AND SO HUMID here  ???

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Porkatarian on October 11, 2017, 10:37:07 am
;)

Porkatarian out...
Well.  There is only one sure thing right now as far as a change.  It's not either of the  biggies.

It's relatively benign.

I've been on record since season started to some posters and more recently on posts to all that I do think BB is on his last leg.

Its premature to imply a major change is that close.

But if the season stays on a spiral, it will occur as I spoke of on Sunday.

hoghearted

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 11, 2017, 03:27:03 pm
Well.  There is only one sure thing right now as far as a change.  It's not either of the  biggies.

It's relatively benign.

I've been on record since season started to some posters and more recently on posts to all that I do think BB is on his last leg.

Well that's disappointing
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

rzrbk4life

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 11, 2017, 03:27:03 pm

It's relatively benign.

There's always gotta be a Debbie downer
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: GuvHog on October 11, 2017, 02:11:00 pm
Crow, Kines, and Ford were Frank's hires (I still believe Kines got a dirty deal and should have gotten more time).

John White was respo0nsible for:

1. Nutt's hiring
2. Nolan's termination
3, Running Gary Blair off
4. Dana Altman's quick exit
5. Hiring Pelphrey.

Wait a minute...how can we blame an AD for some hires/fires and a chancellor for some other hires/fires?  Aren't they both involved with the BOT on all hires/fires?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 11, 2017, 04:15:14 pm
Wait a minute...how can we blame an AD for some hires/fires and a chancellor for some other hires/fires?  Aren't they both involved with the BOT on all hires/fires?

Timing and power trips

GuvHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 11, 2017, 04:15:14 pm

In these cases no. John White took a lot of power away from Frank and was responsible for those things.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

October 11, 2017, 04:38:29 pm #129 Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:50:16 pm by DoubleReedHawgCaller
I feel Long gets sent packing and Bret is told you've got a year to shape up or you're gone too. All this in the hopes Bret sees the writing on the wall and agrees to go ahead and leave for another job and a lesser buyout.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

snoblind

Quote from: elksnort on October 11, 2017, 03:21:24 pm

I hated that song.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: HawgPound on October 11, 2017, 01:27:22 pm
No offense but I will believe it when I see it. It was obvious after Petrino that the leaks do not come easy these days. A lot of educated guess but I wouldn't get my hopes up based on a vague message board post.

It's my educated guess that the "leaks" are coming from a place above the AD's office complex.  Just saying. . .

311Hog

hogblitz

Quote from: ricepig on October 11, 2017, 02:47:01 pm
Some will like his post, some won't........
Are you insinuating we will get rid of Long this year but Bielema will be back for another year?

ricepig

Quote from: hogblitz on October 11, 2017, 04:46:54 pm
Are you insinuating we will get rid of Long this year but Bielema will be back for another year?

Nope, that's the usual take I get from one of his cryptic posts, lol....

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: GuvHog on October 11, 2017, 04:36:48 pm
In these cases no. John White took a lot of power away from Frank and was responsible for those things.

Decisions still have to pass the BOT's...how come they are blameless by so many folks?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 11, 2017, 04:49:15 pm
Decisions still have to pass the BOT's...how come they are blameless by so many folks?

Because it's an amalgam of people that trust the AD and Chancellor to do their jobs.  If the chancellor and AD have proven to be competent they aren't going to question every decision.  The two layout their case for a course of action but the BOT isn't going to deep dive every decision.

With that being said I think it is on them to give some issues a reasonableness test.  The main decision in the last 20 years that doesn't really fit that is the buyout.  That's the most valid thing to be pissed at the board about because having to beg borrow or steal that money to pay off an under-performing coach is ridiculous.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 11, 2017, 05:07:12 pm
Because it's an amalgam of people that trust the AD and Chancellor to do their jobs.  If the chancellor and AD have proven to be competent they aren't going to question every decision.  The two layout their case for a course of action but the BOT isn't going to deep dive every decision.

With that being said I think it is on them to give some issues a reasonableness test.  The main decision in the last 20 years that doesn't really fit that is the buyout.  That's the most valid thing to be pissed at the board about because having to beg borrow or steal that money to pay off an under-performing coach is ridiculous.

The buyout just guarantees he is paid his contract, if fired. Is that unusual in sports/coaching/etc?

WilsonHog

I still believe that if Bielema departs, it will be a mutual parting. I suspect he has about had all of this job that he wants.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 11, 2017, 05:17:08 pm
I still believe that if Bielema departs, it will be a mutual parting. I suspect he has about had all of this job that he wants.

Would be best for all involved.  Doesn't strike me as a bridge burner. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Bebop

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: elksnort on October 11, 2017, 03:21:24 pm

Was thinking the same thing, now I can't get it out of my head.  I dare you to watch this.  I dare you.

RebHog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on October 11, 2017, 11:52:24 am
Go Jeff Go!!
Go Bret Go!!

Far away
No No! Stay close and take your integrity to another SEC school so we can pencil that as a win! #uncommon mizzu has a ring don't it  :D

thebignasty

Quote from: Bebop on October 11, 2017, 05:21:18 pm
Grude times?

Users who can track planes check in.

My body is ready for whatever insane hogville theories coach hiring gets spinning.

Hogs-n-Roses

I'm startin to get an upset stomach for fear of Beilema gone, Long stays.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: grayhawg on October 11, 2017, 06:05:37 pm
Who is John Brummett>

https://twitter.com/johnbrummett/status/917947097109975041
So typical as  the DemRag,LR tries to sell some papers now by comments from people that never know jack crap.

ricepig

parallaxpig

Didn't you notice the fall weather today.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

ricepig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 11, 2017, 06:25:47 pm
I'm still waiting on Chris Petersen to Fayetteville after porks post from 5 years ago.

He'd fit right in in Fayetteville, since ESPN hates him......