Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas gets a $40.9 million payment for the 2016-17 season

Started by Con el Cerdos, February 01, 2018, 06:02:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 06, 2018, 01:14:11 pm
The stats pre and post SEC and every which way you slice it don't support you. Your dismissal of them shows your intelligence level.

Nutt won SEC games at a higher clip than the pre SEC Holtz, Broyles, Hatfield days.  Yet you say his record is not indicative of what we can achieve in the SEC. You repeatedly have nothing to back you up but your own thoughts.

You are obviously trolling at this point.  We're not going to the Big 12.  I'm sorry to dash your hopes and dreams of tucking tail and running to a lesser conference, but Ego's statistics aren't going to convince anyone of anything, because you never go forward by going backward. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

RME

February 08, 2018, 08:19:26 am #301 Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:29:31 am by RyanMallettsEgo
Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 08, 2018, 12:46:58 am
This is priceless.  You're going to extreme lengths to use statistics that DO NOT MATTER.  You're trying to PROVE that the Big 12 isn't as strong as the SEC.  NO SH__ SHERLOCK!!  We knew that before anyone here ever typed the first letter. 

My argument doesn't need statistics.  As I've said over and over, and you guys fail to grasp it, YOU DO NOT DROP IN COMPETITION, and EXCEL LONG TERM.  It won't happen.  You will sink to the level that you're playing aginst.  Period.  You can't recite a single circumstance where another team dropped in conference, and it helped them do anything of significant.

You don't have to believe me...that's fine.  But the UA is smart enough to know that they just have to get better coaches in place, and that Bama's reign won't last forever.  They are thinking LONG term, while you knuckleheads just want to win more games for the sake of winning, even if it's short term gains for long term disaster when the Big 12 folds. 

Do you want to pull some more statistics to show me that the Big 12 is weaker than the SEC?  That's what you did, and then you are trying to suggest that because we've won more there since 1980, we'll most certainly win more if we move over there now.  I never said we wouldn't, but your insistence that we'll waltz over there and beat OU, TX, and OSU just to name a few...is a HOPE, not something you can throw statistics at.  TX just killed it in recruiting, and they will be great again.  OU...already on top, and OSU would be a tall order for us right now.  Now...that's assuming we can do better than a win every other year again TCU and Texas Tech. 

My ears are deaf to your speculation, and particularly to your statistics that aren't relevant to the argument.

Lol. "My argument doesn't need statistics." Way to say "you shouldn't take anything I say seriously because I'm going to support an argument with opinion and nothing substantial."

Also, I never said "we most certainly will." I said "I believe we would." Making absolute statements in a hypothetical argument makes no sense. Which is why it's the perfect thing for you to do.

The fact that you can't grasp the foundation and most basic premise of my whole argument, even after I explicitly laid it out for you in a template that a 3rd grader could follow, tells me all I need to know.

steveaustin69

February 08, 2018, 08:32:55 am #302 Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:53:48 am by steveaustin69
Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 08, 2018, 12:37:37 am
Keep it up with our winning percentage vs. the Big 12.  It does NOT change the fact that the landscape over there has changed just in the past 5-7 years.  Winning would be MUCH harder than it was in the 80's...against the same teams.   

SEC Winning percentage past 7 years: 34%
Big 12 Winning percentage past 7 years: 75%

My argument doesn't need statistics.  As I've said over and over, and you guys fail to grasp it, YOU DO NOT DROP IN COMPETITION, and EXCEL LONG TERM.  It won't happen.  You will sink to the level that you're playing aginst.  Period.  You can't recite a single circumstance where another team dropped in conference, and it helped them do anything of significant.

I guess you couldn't put two and two together when I mentioned Miami earlier. There isn't a modern example of a team leaving a POWER 5 conference for another POWER 5 conference of lesser talent. You yourself have admitted we would win more games in the Big 12. The Big 12 champ with one loss is getting into the playoff. 

Additionally, we have gotten worse as our competition increased. Prior to joining the SEC, we were 76-76 against SEC teams for a winning percentage of .500.  Since joining the SEC, we are 95-120 against SEC teams for a winning percentage of .442.  Let's look at Ole Miss as an example since we played them nearly every year in the 1980s.  Our winning percentage 1980 on Pre SEC vs. Ole Miss: 70%.  Winning percentage post SEC Merger: 60%. This step up in competition has not benefited Arkansas.

I never said we wouldn't, but your insistence that we'll waltz over there and beat OU, TX, and OSU just to name a few...is a HOPE, not something you can throw statistics at.  TX just killed it in recruiting, and they will be great again.  OU...already on top, and OSU would be a tall order for us right now.  Now...that's assuming we can do better than a win every other year again TCU and Texas Tech. 

I've lost count of the amount of times I've addressed this issue. You either do not read or do not understand.  Maybe you attempt to read, do not understand, and subsequently give up. That would explain why I have to repeat myself over and over. But here you go:

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 03, 2018, 08:47:45 am
I don't think anyone is insinuating we would dominate the Big 12, but that season every 5-7 years where we catch lightning in a bottle we'd probably play in the CFP.  2011 was our best finish in recent memory, where, at one point, we had a legitimate shot at a national title.  Didn't we STILL finish third in our DIVISION?

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 08, 2018, 12:37:37 am
But... Ego just spent a lot of time digging up irrelevant statistics, and you chased behind like a little yappy dog.  But...for someone who will stoop as low as needed to win games, it doesn't surprise me that you would ride his coattails rather than formulate your own argument.  "Yeah, you tell 'em Ego.  Way to prove we can tuck our tails like cowards and win a few more games...1 a year based on the statistics I ran."   

An extra conference win a year is a pretty big deal. I'm not going to go into the math on why it is because that is clearly not your forte. We'll use an example instead: in the right year (see 2011) an extra conference win could have us playing for a national title.

My ears are deaf to your speculation, and particularly to your statistics that aren't relevant to the argument.

First bold: Clearly. You dismiss every statistic as irrelevant.
Second bold: I would say winning percentages against the two conferences being discussed is fairly relevant.

While I'm here, have you noticed that next to no one has joined in on your argument for the last four pages?  Might be because it's a losing battle to argue against over a hundred years worth of data which contradicts your point.

If you have actually read everything here, understood the statistics, and come to your same conclusions then you make Forrest Gump look like Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on February 08, 2018, 12:49:55 am
You are obviously trolling at this point.  We're not going to the Big 12.  I'm sorry to dash your hopes and dreams of tucking tail and running to a lesser conference, but Ego's statistics aren't going to convince anyone of anything, because you never go forward by going backward.

No one says we're going to the Big 12. We aren't -- and we all know that. However, the facts that were presented show that to date, Arkansas has more success against Big 12 programs. Would that success transfer into today's Big 12? No one knows. But, what is known is that staying in the SEC and the West in particular does nothing for our brand of winning when Arkansas is competing against Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and A&M year in and year out both on the recruiting trail and on the field. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp, but you've got your horse blinders on and you don't seem to be able to comprehend numbers.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 08, 2018, 08:46:11 am
No one says we're going to the Big 12. We aren't -- and we all know that. However, the facts that were presented show that to date, Arkansas has more success against Big 12 programs. Would that success transfer into today's Big 12? No one knows. But, what is known is that staying in the SEC and the West in particular does nothing for our brand of winning when Arkansas is competing against Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and A&M year in and year out both on the recruiting trail and on the field. This isn't a difficult concept to grasp, but you've got your horse blinders on and you don't seem to be able to comprehend numbers.

We've had even better success against Sunbelt opponents so maybe we should go there.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RME

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2018, 12:29:21 pm
We've had even better success against Sunbelt opponents so maybe we should go there.................

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 07, 2018, 12:36:36 pm
To the bold: Yes, I do too. I agree with you. But beating Big 12 teams is more like beating Ole Miss, not Florida A&M.

To the underline: Because as has been said roughly 6 million times here, I am fine with a move to the Big 12 because it is still a P5 and a great way to get into the playoff. The Sun Belt is not a P5 conference and would be borderline impossible to make the playoff.

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 07, 2018, 02:03:27 pm
Because the Sun Belt isn't a P5 conference. Racking up quality wins is much easier to do in the Big 12 than it currently is for Arkansas in the SEC and the value of these hypothetical wins would not be any less if they occurred in the Big 12. On a year in and year out basis, Arkansas would have a real chance to beat the following schools and it would be considered a quality win:

TCU
Baylor
OK State
WVU
K State
TTU

Busta_Nutt

Go back and re-read the thread, please...and try to comprehend what you're reading. We don't want to have to stuff you in a locker today too, inhogs.

steveaustin69

Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight............................

Hogindasticks

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 08, 2018, 12:45:24 pm
Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight............................

QB better start running now if he isn't mobile...gonna take him a while to get away.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 08, 2018, 08:32:55 am

While I'm here, have you noticed that next to no one has joined in on your argument for the last four pages?  Might be because it's a losing battle to argue against over a hundred years worth of data which contradicts your point.

I 100% agree with him, you want to take a poll.  Tried discussing this with you earlier, made some of the same points, moved on, got tired of banging my head against a brick wall.  I am sure that there are many others here that agree, and do not want to exhaust themselves by trying to argue with anyone wanting to leave the SEC for the BIG12. 
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on February 08, 2018, 04:40:06 pm
I 100% agree with him, you want to take a poll.  Tried discussing this with you earlier, made some of the same points, moved on, got tired of banging my head against a brick wall.  I am sure that there are many others here that agree, and do not want to exhaust themselves by trying to argue with anyone wanting to leave the SEC for the BIG12.

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 08, 2018, 08:32:55 am
If you have actually read everything here, understood the statistics, and come to your same conclusions then you make Forrest Gump look like Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Hog-Corleone

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 08, 2018, 04:58:37 pm

Stats don't always tell the whole story.  But you go ahead and keep hanging your hat on them.

Dang, just when I thought I was out, they keep dragging me back in...
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

JimmyJohnsonsBoat

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on February 08, 2018, 05:05:49 pm
Stats don't always tell the whole story.  But you go ahead and keep hanging your hat on them.

As hog fans, it probably is better if we disregard stats.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on February 08, 2018, 05:05:49 pm

What is the story? 

I suggest you reread reply #303, 296, 286, 275, 244, 235, 191, and 176.

JimmyJohnsonsBoat

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 08, 2018, 05:44:19 pm
What is the story? 

I suggest you reread reply #303, 296, 286, 275, 244, 235, 191, and 176.

more money in the SEC

Pa-Paw

Baylor who just went through a huge scandal just pulled in a top 25 recruiting class. How is that even possible? The state of Texas produces lots of players.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on February 08, 2018, 12:44:40 pm
Go back and re-read the thread, please...and try to comprehend what you're reading. We don't want to have to stuff you in a locker today too, inhogs.

You ain't strong enough to stuff me in a locker.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pa-Paw on February 08, 2018, 09:44:27 pm
Baylor who just went through a huge scandal just pulled in a top 25 recruiting class. How is that even possible? The state of Texas produces lots of players.

Amazing what $$$$$$$$$ can buy.

Pa-Paw

steveaustin69

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 08, 2018, 09:57:37 pm
Amazing what $$$$$$$$$ can buy.

Guess if Morris has a great class next year it's because we finally decided to start using all that SEC money.

rtr

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 09, 2018, 07:59:32 am
Guess if Morris has a great class next year it's because we finally decided to start using all that SEC money.
OU's history indicates they know how to put their money to good use.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

JimmyJohnsonsBoat

Busta_Nutt

JimmyJohnsonsBoat

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 09, 2018, 07:59:32 am

SEC Money is the real deal.

Other conferences' money is Monopoly money.

MemphisBossHog

[quote authioor=go hogues link=topic=656476.msg11359585#msg11359585 date=1517583385]
Which ANY current Big 12 school would gladly trade for.

We leave the SEC with our tail between our legs (to the extreme laughter of the college sporting world) and the millisecond we left, OU or UT would take our spot.

You think it's hard to get recruits now? Just wait until we're trying to sell a kid from Georgia or Florida to come play in the Big 12 north... It's not like the Texas recruiting would get any easier, either. I remember all those crowing about how adding A&M to the SEC would be a positive for the UA...while A&M has risen above us and now the rest of the SECW is raiding Texas with equal or better results than us.
[/quote]
Agreed and it really just comes down the simple line of thinking of when faced with a challenge that has been kicking your tail for a period of time, do you turn tail and run and go find easier opponents/challenges OR do you keep working til you figure it out and achieve your goal.

Going to Big12 no matter how you spin it is simply saying we can't compete. We need to go back down to play with "junior varsity."  These guys up here are too good for us.  It would be humiliating nationally. 

You can dress it up however you want and talk about how we are a Big12 school cause of who are rivals are/were or where we recruit or whatever argument you want to make but the reality is that if for some crazy reason, Ark decided to leave the SEC, it would be because we got tired of losing in football so we would be trying to find teams we actually could beat.  And that's it.  End of story.  And that would be an embarrassment.  National pundits would call it for what it would be---little Ark could not run with the big dogs and had to go home with tail between their legs.

Petrino proved we CAN compete.  He just took a motorcycle ride with the wrong passenger and the next 6-7 years have been a set back.  Let's see how CCM does before folks want to give up and go play with the JV.

HognotinMemphis

I do not recall anyone who was not a constant sunshine pumper putting a positive spin on everything that occurs saying that A&M joining the SEC would be a net positive for U of A football. Common sense tells you it would hurt Arkansas recruiting in Texas. We had something unique to sell to Texas high school football players. When A&M joined, they began selling the same thing and they are in Texas. No brainer that A&M joining SEC would hurt Arkansas. And A&M has beaten the Hogs every year since they joined the SEC.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pa-Paw on February 08, 2018, 10:47:19 pm
Baylor has more $$$ than a SEC school?

No. Just spends it a certain way like some SEC schools. They used to not spend anything but decided they should. Don't get me wrong they've always had money. Now they spend some on athletes.

Inhogswetrust

twistitup

This puts a smile on my face...didnt HY say he was investing a majority of that money into upper westside improvments?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

steveaustin69

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 11, 2018, 07:43:25 am
No. Just spends it a certain way like some SEC schools. They used to not spend anything but decided they should. Don't get me wrong they've always had money. Now they spend some on athletes.

Do you have a source?

Busta_Nutt