Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If all you really want to do is win

Started by MtPorker, September 19, 2017, 01:02:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MtPorker

hoghearted

strawman argument.

Such a novel approach. Well done.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hobhog

^^^^Almost bad enough to be banned for a month^^^

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcard1964

Ok 

If all you really want is to graduate kids

...don't have a football program.

WilsonHog

There is another approach. I have a neighbor who is an Alabama fan. Never attended school there, never has been to a game there, but he has the apparel and never misses a game on TV. Why?

They win.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 19, 2017, 01:06:21 pm
Ok 

I want to win games, too, but I have a line.  "Rape enabler" is past that line.
1909/1964/1965/1977

The real Hogules

Why does it always have to be one extreme, or the other? There are plenty of good college teams that compete on the gridiron and still manage to graduate students.
The difference being that "most" of those teams do not compete in the SEC.
If we didn't come to the SEC to compete with the other members of our conference, then we shouldn't have joined the SEC at all! If we simply cannot compete within this conference without cheating, then let's leave this conference and find us a better fit, because ass whippings are no fun!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

The_Iceman

If I had the choice of being 0-12 or having Art Briles as the coach, I'd pick 0-12. No win is worth the lives and health of those women who were raped and assaulted under his watch.

I hope this response is clear enough for you.

hobhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 19, 2017, 01:06:21 pm
Ok 

You would be a lot happier

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 01:11:15 pm

Relax... it happened in Texas... why, even Clayton Williams (lead candidate for governor a few years back) made a remark while preparing for a cattle roundup at his West Texas ranch. He compared the cold, foggy weather spoiling the event to a rape, telling ranch hands, campaign workers and reporters around a campfire, ''If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.''
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Razorfox

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 01:09:13 pm
There is another approach. I have a neighbor who is an Alabama fan. Never attended school there, never has been to a game there, but he has the apparel and never misses a game on TV. Why?

They win.

Exactly. 

NEA_HogFan

Jeff Long said Arkansas is not a win at all costs program...

RME

rhames

Quote from: NEA_HogFan on September 19, 2017, 01:37:54 pm
Jeff Long said Arkansas is not a win at all costs program...

People are making a way too big of a deal or this.

Also never provide what he said afterwards.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogsanity

Funny thing is though during our last coaching search Briles name was brought up here ALOT as someone we should go after.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on September 19, 2017, 01:40:49 pm
Funny thing is though during our last coaching search Briles name was brought up here ALOT as someone we should go after.

That was before all the rape.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hogcard1964

I agree. It's one or the other.  You're either a rapist with a good football program or a Mormon on a Mission trip with a bad football program.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on September 19, 2017, 01:41:19 pm

That was before all the rape.

sadly, there are some here to whom that part of Briles wouldn't matter if they thought he'd bring a playoff spot or a nc or maybe even just a secw title.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cj_sez

As a woman, I find the OP offensive. As a Razorback fan, I find the OP offensive.

Piggfoot

Quote from: cj_sez on September 19, 2017, 01:52:47 pm
As a woman, I find the OP offensive. As a Razorback fan, I find the OP offensive.
Why?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

cj_sez

Why? Art Briles is associated with a rape-culture on campus. He admitted he knew. I don't care if the Hogs never lost a game if he was the coach, it could not cover the disgust with Baylor and his action or inaction there.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 19, 2017, 01:40:49 pm

Yeah- before we knew he enabled rapists.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 02:23:00 pm
Yeah- before we knew he enabled rapists.

seriously folks... it's a Texas thing... if you are a woman and don't have secret fantasy of being raped, don't go to Texas.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

BearsBisonsBoars

They win
Bandwagon

BallHog1

They win.
I know a guy who's really into the NFL. He changes "favorite" teams every year depending on who it looks like has a good chance at the Super Bowl.
Great fan......

gchamblee

Do you think there is room in todays social climate for a University that would like to play football simply for the enjoyment of the game and the ability to offer scholarships to athletes that would otherwise not qualify for or afford an education? I mean, is the rule today that you can not play for fun, you either play to win at all costs or close it down? When every college team has to fire good men every 4 years because they aren't winning championships, have we lost sight of sportsmanship and the joy of competition?

My question has absolutely nothing to do with Arkansas or our coaching issues. This is just a general question.

gchamblee

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: gchamblee on September 19, 2017, 03:08:57 pm
I think you missed his point

No, I think I understood. He's saying that his neighbor is fiercely loyal because they win.

If that's an accurate description, then I'm saying that it's indicative of a lack of character. (Not that winning is unimportant, just that it should not determine loyalty)

Wildhog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 19, 2017, 03:05:28 pm
Do you think there is room in todays social climate for a University that would like to play football simply for the enjoyment of the game and the ability to offer scholarships to athletes that would otherwise not qualify for or afford an education? I mean, is the rule today that you can not play for fun, you either play to win at all costs or close it down? When every college team has to fire good men every 4 years because they aren't winning championships, have we lost sight of sportsmanship and the joy of competition?

My question has absolutely nothing to do with Arkansas or our coaching issues. This is just a general question.

Interesting question.  I'll have to get to this one after work, though, as it requires some actual thought.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

WilsonHog

Good question.

I really wish there was. To that degree, I am envious of the Ivy League schoools and the service academies. I believe those folks have the right perspective on athletics.

Outside of those schools, and those similarly situated, I think the answer is no for two reasons. One, there is too much money and exposure involved. Two, the aims are inconsistent and have been for decades. George Sauer, a former Texas Longhorn and NY Jet, wrote about it as far back as 1972 in his forward to Gary Shaw's book, "Meat on the Hoof."

gchamblee

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on September 19, 2017, 03:28:50 pm
No, I think I understood. He's saying that his neighbor is fiercely loyal because they win.

If that's an accurate description, then I'm saying that it's indicative of a lack of character. (Not that winning is unimportant, just that it should not determine loyalty)

Maybe I misunderstood his point then. I thought he was saying if you are so bent out of shape because of our record over the last few years, there are no conditions one has to meet in order to choose another team. Just pick Bama for instance, buy their gear and watch all their games and post on their message boards. You'll get all the enjoyment of having a winner as your team and you won't have to hang your head when in the presence of the relevant fans.

jlhogfan

Of all the Universities playing football, would you consider a majority of them "win at all cost"; or are a majority doing it right?

nchogg

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2017, 01:20:45 pm
If I had the choice of being 0-12 or having Art Briles as the coach, I'd pick 0-12. No win is worth the lives and health of those women who were raped and assaulted under his watch.

I hope this response is clear enough for you.
I have to agree with this.

hoghearted

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 19, 2017, 01:51:16 pm
I agree. It's one or the other.  You're either a rapist with a good football program or a Mormon on a Mission trip with a bad football program.

I lol'd
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

The_Iceman

Ask yourself this: if it was your daughter, would you want Briles coaching here?

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2017, 05:00:35 pm
Ask yourself this: if it was your daughter, would you want Briles coaching here?

**** no.
1909/1964/1965/1977

FraggleHog

Is it announced at a later time, or did Arkansas just low key settle the debate on whether or not they'll play in LR next season?
Calling the Hogs from DFW

Idahog

I'd really just like to see the program in a position to win, kind of like Vanderbilt this year...
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

code red

Quote from: MtPorker on September 19, 2017, 01:02:47 pm
no matter the cost, call Art Briles.
So this is stupid as hell but, yeah the program is just peachy right now??  Amazes me how these post stay up.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Augustus

The obvious point notwithstanding... we're just gonna ignore that Art Briles never won better than a Holiday and Alamo Bowl while at Baylor?

Yeah, he had several seasons of double digit wins while at Baylor, but in a mediocre conference and never won the "big" bowl game.

Reminds of a Coach the Hogs used to have by the name of Ken Hatfield, who also racked up multiple double digit win seasons... but couldn't get it down in the bowl games.

And... Ken Hatfield didn't allow for the systemic cover up of young women being raped.

If Art Briles sold his soul to the devil, the devil crawfished on his ass. All Baylor has been good for has been some pre-season conjecture by sports media.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Idahog on September 19, 2017, 06:06:35 pm
I'd really just like to see the program in a position to win, kind of like Vanderbilt this year...

You want to be like Vanderbilt?  Holy shnikeys!!!  That's pathetic.

Wildhog

They did win 32 games in three years.  He's still a POS.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawganatic

Quote from: The real Hogules on September 19, 2017, 01:18:47 pm
Why does it always have to be one extreme, or the other?

Because its the only way some people know how to make an argument.  Can't argue in favor of something, so present the extreme oppposite as the only other alternative.

hogsanity

Not in the p5 FBS leagues. Too many people see the success/failure of the football team as a reflection of the university. Arkansas has a wonderful university in Fay. Great programs, facilities, students, research etc, but you'd think it was a cut rate online school based in Barbados simply because the football team is not winning enough.

Seebs

I suggest we field a team of only graduate transfers each year.  Would probably win more games and they all get Masters degrees. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.