Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Razorback football team is not

Started by Piggfoot, September 17, 2017, 04:27:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

a destination coaching job for the elite coaches in college football. But it is my team.

The Razorback are no longer playing in the SWC
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

You only hire so many coaches. I'd say that given the fact that Not 1 single coach has left Arkansas for a "Better Gig" should tell you that it is a destination. We just haven't found anyone who can win and hold down the job too...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hoggie17

All the more reason to keep an elite coach if we were able to luck up and get one.

Hoggie17

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 17, 2017, 04:30:37 pm
You only hire so many coaches. I'd say that given the fact that Not 1 single coach has left Arkansas for a "Better Gig" should tell you that it is a destination. We just haven't found anyone who can win and hold down the job too...
It has always been my opinion that it a lot better than it looks from the outside.

rickfahr

I don't think we are a destination, especially in the SEC. Too many challenges in recruiting.

ceegar

I would say a destination job would be based on individual preference.  But for most I'm sure Arkansas is not.  The list is probably something along the lines of this IMO.
Alabama
USC
Notre Dame
Ohio St
Michigan
Florida
Florida St
Texas
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

jst01

It's anywhere from the 6th to 8th best job in the SEC, I think. But it's way up there in the most difficult to win at ranking.

jkstock04

Fair enough. Hire a hotshot up and comer, give him a short leash with winning expectations and let's see what happens. I could get behind that.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bphi11ips

This is simply another ridiculous poor widdle Arkiesaw post.

Lou Holtz coached the New York Jets when he came to Arkansas.

Ken Hatfield was having a ton of success at Air Force when he took the job at a time when the triple option running attack was a major force in college football.

Danny Ford won a national championship at Clemson. Broyles basically brought him out of retirement to try to fix what Jack Crowe broke.

Tommy Tuberville was about as elite as they come when he told Broyles he was coming to Arkansas to replace Ford.  Before he could fly from New York to Fatetteville to accept, Quinn Grovey and John White hired a nobody who mired the program in ten years of drama.

Bobby Petrino was coaching the Falcons after coming within a hair's breadth of a national championship at Louisville.

Brett Beilema went to 3 consecutive Rose Bowls at a destination job before coming to Arkansas to rebuild another.

Suggesting Arkansas is not a destination job is moronic.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Dark Helmet Hog

I'm not sure any job is a destination job in today's environment. There is no guaranteed success at any school, Florida and Texas as just 2 examples. Neither school has lured huge name coaches and neither has found great success yet either.

rtr

Everything is fluid but most head football coaches at the University of Arkansas do not leave of their own volition, certainly not post Broyles.  Bowden Wyatt left here for Tennessee (his alma mater) and Jack Mitchell left for Kansas (his native state), both were never heard of again. There would be many fine coaches interested if we had an opening.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

Piggfoot

If we were to get an up and coming head coach he wouldn't last more than 5 years at Arkansas. If he didn't win up to the delusional expectations of our fans, he would be run off or fired. If he won, the big teams would come for him and hire him away.
We would need an Arkansan with a wife from Arkansas. Nutt was that person but our fans would not support him. Malzahn was that person but the fans did not support him. Arkansas will forever be a second tier team in the best confrence in America. Occasionally we will play for the top. We may even reach it some day. But our fans will want more. They will demand playing for the NC every year and when it doesn't happen. The fans will bring out the pitch forks.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

rtr

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 17, 2017, 04:57:46 pm
If we were to get an up and coming head coach he wouldn't last more than 5 years at Arkansas. If he didn't win up to the delusional expectations of our fans, he would be run off or fired. If he won, the big teams would come for him and hire him away.
We would need an Arkansan with a wife from Arkansas. Nutt was that person but our fans would not support him. Malzahn was that person but the fans did not support him. Arkansas will forever be a second tier team in the best confrence in America. Occasionally we will play for the top. We may even reach it some day. But our fans will want more. They will demand playing for the NC every year and when it doesn't happen. The fans will bring out the pitch forks.
There several things wrong with what you post.  Fans don't demand to be in the playoff every year but want to be competitive.  Arkansas can do that.  We've seen it.  Fans want hope, as Wilson says.  Right now, hope is in short supply.  Once a coach is successful at Arkansas, they do not want to leave. It has been that way since Frank Broyles.

There is a coach who fits your description:  Memphis HC Mike Norvell. 

ShadowHawg

Ken Hatfield to Clemson

rtr

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 17, 2017, 05:07:44 pm
Ken Hatfield to Clemson
Hatfield left because he did not want to be dictated who would make up his staff by Broyles, that is well documented.

bigeasyhog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 17, 2017, 05:07:44 pm
Ken Hatfield to Clemson

I was on campus at time; he had just returned from a heart Breaking loss to TN in the Cotton Bowl. It spread around campus quickly that he had a falling out with Broyles, who demanded he make some changes with his staff. Hatfield told him no, and almost literally left in the night for Clemson, sight unseen and accepted their offer. And no, at that time Clemson was not a better job in January of 1990.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 17, 2017, 04:48:31 pm

Ken Hatfield was having a ton of success at Air Force when he took the job at a time when the triple option running attack was a major force in college football.

Danny Ford won a national championship at Clemson. Broyles basically brought him out of retirement to try to fix what Jack Crowe broke.

Tommy Tuberville was about as elite as they come when he told Broyles he was coming to Arkansas to replace Ford.  Before he could fly from New York to Fatetteville to accept, Quinn Grovey and John White hired a nobody who mired the program in ten years of drama.

Bobby Petrino was coaching the Falcons after coming within a hair's breadth of a national championship at Louisville.

Brett Beilema went to 3 consecutive Rose Bowls at a destination job before coming to Arkansas to rebuild another.

Tubbs wasn't coming. He didn't want to work for Broyles. He was seen as a medler. The coach at LaTech refused to even come interview. Only people who had played for Broyles wanted the job.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

rtr

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 17, 2017, 05:12:28 pm
I was on campus at time; he had just returned from a heart Breaking loss to TN in the Cotton Bowl. It spread around campus quickly that he had a falling out with Broyles, who demanded he make some changes with his staff. Hatfield told him no, and almost literally left in the night for Clemson, sight unseen and accepted their offer. And no, at that time Clemson was not a better job in January of 1990.
That is true.
Quote from: pigasaurus on September 17, 2017, 05:19:12 pm
Tubbs wasn't coming. He didn't want to work for Broyles. He was seen as a medler. The coach at LaTech refused to even come interview. Only people who had played for Broyles wanted the job.
This is false.

bigeasyhog

Quote from: rtr on September 17, 2017, 05:41:25 pm
That is true.This is false.

Tubberville was very interested in the job, and Bill Montgomery was advocating for him during the process. There was a panel of several former players involved in the process, and Nutt won over enough of them to get the nod.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: rickfahr on September 17, 2017, 04:41:44 pm
I don't think we are a destination, especially in the SEC. Too many challenges in recruiting.

Meh, I just think we've held onto coaches too long, not long enough and/or just been unlucky. I , for one, believe that if we Arkansas fan's acted like everything in Arkansas is all good that people would eventually catch on. The only folks I hear putting us down are from within, or out of state people who have never been there. The School is beautiful, the girls are beautiful, the weather is beautiful, the team is beautiful, the future is beautiful etc... I truly believe it. I strongly believe it and by damn if you don't you can surely stuff it.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Al Boarland

This. CBB did it right losing dang near every game his first year to buy more time. If you have too much success early you set yourself up to go down in flames.

Pigasaurus

Quote from: rtr on September 17, 2017, 05:41:25 pm
That is true.This is false.
Not according to Tubbs. But he could have been giving an after the fact account.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 17, 2017, 04:27:42 pm
a destination coaching job for the elite coaches in college football. But it is my team.

Coaches in the College Football Hall of Fame include:

Hugo Bezdek - Oregon, Arkansas, Penn State
Francis Schmidt - Tulsa, Arkansas, TCU, Ohio State
Bowden Wyatt - Wyoming, Arkansas, Tennessee
Frank Broyles - Missouri, Arkansas
Lou Holtz - William & Mary, North Carolina State, Arkansas, Minnesota, Notre Dame, South Carolina
Danny Ford - Clemson, Arkansas

If he doesn't make it politically impossible, Petrino will join that list someday.

Interestingly enough Notre Dame also has exactly six coaches in the CFB HoF.  USC has but three with one to come.

Alabama has four with one sure to add.

Texas has but two with one to add.

Those Arkansas coaches span a much longer span than the entire SWC.  Getting capable coaches because Arkansas wasn't a coaching destination has never been the limiting factor for Arkansas.

Inhogswetrust

It was enough of a destination for several to leave other jobs to take the Hog one..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 17, 2017, 04:32:11 pm
All the more reason to keep an elite coach if we were able to luck up and get one.

Absolutely unless they do something stupid enough to get fired anyway.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 17, 2017, 04:48:36 pm
I'm not sure any job is a destination job in today's environment. There is no guaranteed success at any school, Florida and Texas as just 2 examples. Neither school has lured huge name coaches and neither has found great success yet either.

That's always been true at every school.

Inhogswetrust

Delusional.

Bubba's Bruisers

A lot of hurt here.  And hyperbole. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bphi11ips

Quote from: pigasaurus on September 17, 2017, 05:19:12 pm

Completely wrong. Tubberville was at a conference in New York and had a hand shake deal with Broyles. He was either on or about to get on a flight to Fayetteville to make an announcement when Broyles called him about Nutt. A close friend of Tubbs told me this story directly not long after it happened and I've heard it in the media since.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 17, 2017, 06:24:51 pm
Completely wrong. Tubberville was at a conference in New York and had a hand shake deal with Broyles. He was either on or about to get on a flight to Fayetteville to make an announcement when Broyles called him about Nutt. A close friend of Tubbs told me this story directly not long after it happened and I've heard it in the media since.

This has definitely been the consistent story since it all happened.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

daprospecta

Elite coach? No. An up and comer wanting to make a name for himself, yes.  The SEC is where you want to be in CFB. We have shown you can have some success here. Nutt had it success, CBP had success, you can win here.  If an up and comer comes here and builds a strong team, where else would you want to go? You are already in the toughest conference in football.  Any other school not named Alabama/Ohio State would be a step down if you have established system here.  I'm sure CBB thought the same thing but his system didn't work. He's not a bad coach, just not a good one at Arkansas.  Cutting ties would be best for both sides.

ChicoHog

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 17, 2017, 05:12:28 pm
And he ran them into the ground in a few years and ended up at the doormat Rice.  I told my friends that Clemson would be sorry they hired Hatfield and sure enough it did not work out.  He is a great guy and not a bad coach but a poor recruiter and too set in his ways back then to be successful at a high level.  he won at Arkansas because the SWC was falling apart at the time. 

hogsanity

ignoring the FACT that Ar is small stae with all the issues that causes the football program is insane. And all the retort to it  " more poor widdle arkisaw " stuff just shows your level of denial about the fact that this is one of the smallest poorest states in the 50 that make up the country.

Holtz had been FIRED after failing in NY. Ford had been retired for years. Hatfield was a AR legend coming home. BP was failing and miserable in ATL when he bailed on them via letter.  The only coach we have hired that left a successful job to come here is BB. At least in the last 50 years or so.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 17, 2017, 06:07:10 pm
Delusional.

yes, many of our fans are quite delusional about what the program is.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MuskogeeHogFan

I think it all depends upon what each individual coach views as their definition of a, "destination job". I think that it is certainly a more difficult job than other jobs for many reasons, but what one person views as their ideal position may not be what another views as their ideal situation. Arkansas certainly doesn't offer all of the built-in advantages of an Alabama, LSU, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, etc. But what is a natural fit for some, isn't necessarily a natural fit for others.
Go Hogs Go!

Porkchop#1

Outstanding post.

Arkansas Fan

There's only a few destination jobs, anyway.

PORKULATOR

you really should follow Pop Warner football. You're so cool and edgy and smart. You can tell the losing coaches that they should be replaced after every game.
We'd all but your poster and want your autograph for being "The Man" and being so football savy.

😏😏😏😎😜
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

bphi11ips

September 17, 2017, 08:38:51 pm #38 Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:27:49 pm by bphi11ips
Quote from: hogsanity on September 17, 2017, 07:18:19 pm
ignoring the FACT that Ar is small stae with all the issues that causes the football program is insane. And all the retort to it  " more poor widdle arkisaw " stuff just shows your level of denial about the fact that this is one of the smallest poorest states in the 50 that make up the country.

Holtz had been FIRED after failing in NY. Ford had been retired for years. Hatfield was a AR legend coming home. BP was failing and miserable in ATL when he bailed on them via letter.  The only coach we have hired that left a successful job to come here is BB. At least in the last 50 years or so.

You know what?  I could demonstrate how foolish you are but am sick of doing that over and over and hearing crickets. Your method of dealing with contradictions to your troll posts and questions you can't answer is to ignore them. I used to think you're just a negative fan, sort of a Razorbacks version of Eyeore.  But you've shown yourself lately to be nothing more than a mean spirited troll.

Lou Holtz resigned, just like Petrino. Both were 3-10 in their first year in the NFL when they resigned and both said they aren't cut out to coach in the NFL.  Holtz made North Carolina State a force in the ACC in four years, finishing in the Top 20 three times and winning a conference championship before the Jets came calling. He was a 13-9 loss to then No. 2 ranked Texas from a NC in his first year at Arkansas. Earl Campbell carried 34 times for 188 yards that day.

Frank Broyles was a 34-year-old rising star in 1958 when he took the only job he really wanted. He made that clear to John Barnhill then and never showed the slightest interest in leaving, not even when Georgia Tech, where he was the SEC Player of the Year for Bobby Dodd, came calling. Broyles set passing records as a QB. He is credited with inventing the belly series, which led to the wishbone and other versions of the triple option.

Arkansas was a destination job in 1958. It was a destination job in 1976.  It was in 1983, 1993, 1997, 2007, and 2013. It is in 2017 and it will be in 2027.  The population of the state doesn't have a damn thing to do with it. The 76,000 seat stadium, Arkansas's ranking as the 19th greatest college football program of all time according to the AP in 2017, and its seat at the table in the SEC West are plenty to make it a destination.  There are at least 4.5 million other reasons why it's a destination.

What a miserable troll.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 17, 2017, 07:09:25 pm
And he ran them into the ground in a few years and ended up at the doormat Rice.  I told my friends that Clemson would be sorry they hired Hatfield and sure enough it did not work out.  He is a great guy and not a bad coach but a poor recruiter and too set in his ways back then to be successful at a high level.  he won at Arkansas because the SWC was falling apart at the time. 

Hatfield was 33-13-1 in four years at Clemson.  He was hired to clean up the image of the program.  He won one conference championship, finished second and third two other years, and was 8-3 and headed for the Peach Bowl when he resigned. Like Arkansas fans, Clemson fans didn't like Hatfiled's offense. He coached at Rice because he wanted to.

(notOM)Rebel123

"The Razorback football team is not"....
a team that I am giving up on. We are 2 weeks into the season.
Why not let things play out? We may have a good year. We may not. But geez...give it a chance.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

rtr

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 17, 2017, 08:38:51 pm
You know what?  I could demonstrate how foolish you are but am sick of doing that over and over and hearing crickets. Your method of dealing with contradictions to your troll posts and questions you can't answer is to ignore them. I used to think you're just a negative fan, sort of a Razorbacks version of Eyeore.  But you've shown yourself lately to be nothing more than a mean spirited troll.

Lou Holtz resigned, just like Petrino. Both were 3-10 in their first year in the NFL when they resigned and both said they aren't cut out to coach in the NFL.  Holtz made North Carolina State a force in the ACC in four years, finishing in the Top 20 three times and winning a conference championship before the Jets came calling. He was a 13-9 loss to then No. 2 ranked Texas from a NC in his first year at Arkansas. Earl Campbell carried 34 times for 188 yards that day.

Frank Broyles was a 34-year-old rising star in 1958 when he took the only job he really wanted. He made that clear to John Barnhill then and never showed the slightest interest in leaving, not even when Georgia Tech, where he was the SEC Player of the Year for Bobby Dodd, came calling. Broyles set passing records as a QB. He is credited with inventing the belly series, which led to the wishbone and other versions of the triple option.

Arkansas was a destination job in 1958. It was a destination job in 1976.  It was in 1983, 1993, 1997, 2007, and 2013. It is in 2017 and it will be in 2027.  The population of the state doesn't have a damn thing to do with it. The 76,000 seat stadium, Arkansas's ranking as the 19th greatest college football program of all time according to the AP in 2017, and its seat at the table in the SEC West are plenty to make it a destination.  There are at least 4.5 million other reasons why it's a destination.

What a miserable troll.

To you, because apparently, like many others here, you get your entire self worth from the football program. Any objective person would see the challenges this program faces are unlike those many other programs face, especially in the conference we play in. Population, demographics, location, no other SEC team faces ALL 3 of those. Even Vandy can sell Nashville.

I want the Hogs to win, I want to them to win the sec and make the playoff. I just do not think that a revolving door at coach is going to bring that of itself.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on September 17, 2017, 09:37:01 pm
To you, because apparently, like many others here, you get your entire self worth from the football program. Any objective person would see the challenges this program faces are unlike those many other programs face, especially in the conference we play in. Population, demographics, location, no other SEC team faces ALL 3 of those. Even Vandy can sell Nashville.

I want the Hogs to win, I want to them to win the sec and make the playoff. I just do not think that a revolving door at coach is going to bring that of itself.

That's pretty funny.  If I got my entire self-worth from the program I wouldn't have been drafting positive post after positive post here for the last week.  And my consistent position as you well know is that we DO NOT need a new coach at this point in the season, nor do we need to get rid of Bielema after this season absent some total collapse where it's clear he has lost the team.  As I have said over and over, we lost to a very good TCU team and can very easily have a good season. 

You're judgment and lecturing of posters is hypocritical and disengenuous.  Get out of your ivory tower and actually go to some games.  And take your boys.  They deserve it.

DoctorSusscrofa

Ooooh brother.  Holtz and Petrino weren't star coaches at their NFL jobs. Both were looking to escape and hope everybody ignored their blooper.  Hatfield was successful, but he was a Broyles player. And nobody was about to give him Bama or Ohio State to coach.  Ford was retired. Yes, retired.

Shheeesh.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

swineology

Hogville would have Gruden fired in year 4

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 17, 2017, 09:48:52 pm
That's pretty funny.  If I got my entire self-worth from the program I wouldn't have been drafting positive post after positive post here for the last week.  And my consistent position as you well know is that we DO NOT need a new coach at this point in the season, nor do we need to get rid of Bielema after this season absent some total collapse where it's clear he has lost the team.  As I have said over and over, we lost to a very good TCU team and can very easily have a good season. 

You're judgment and lecturing of posters is hypocritical and disengenuous.  Get out of your ivory tower and actually go to some games.  And take your boys.  They deserve it.

Ah, I am lecturing but when we are told here repeatedly that the admin does not care about winning ( which is a lie ) Long only care about integrity ( Which I hope is true ), and the other myriad of things posted here over and over,, that is okay. However, try to bring reality to the board and that poster is on some ivory tower.

As for me going to games and my kids, they do not want to go because they do not want to invest 6+ hours on a Sat to go to a game. One is in college 200 miles from Fay and the other would rather play baseball or go fishing.  I've taken them to every game they ever wanted to go to. We went to every home game in 2005, the year my oldest thought he was destined for the NFL. We sat through some real bad football.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on September 17, 2017, 09:59:40 pm
Ah, I am lecturing but when we are told here repeatedly that the admin does not care about winning ( which is a lie ) Long only care about integrity ( Which I hope is true ), and the other myriad of things posted here over and over,, that is okay. However, try to bring reality to the board and that poster is on some ivory tower.

As for me going to games and my kids, they do not want to go because they do not want to invest 6+ hours on a Sat to go to a game. One is in college 200 miles from Fay and the other would rather play baseball or go fishing.  I've taken them to every game they ever wanted to go to. We went to every home game in 2005, the year my oldest thought he was destined for the NFL. We sat through some real bad football.

You don't bring reality.  You attempt to rewrite history with broad strokes.  Maybe because your self-worth was tarnished by past disappointments.  If only Atwater had held onto that interception . . . .

I really don't care what screwed you up.  What I care about is keeping the facts straight.  Those of us who have been around longer than you have know when you're lying or FOS. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 17, 2017, 08:50:23 pm
Hatfield was 33-13-1 in four years at Clemson.  He was hired to clean up the image of the program.  He won one conference championship, finished second and third two other years, and was 8-3 and headed for the Peach Bowl when he resigned. Like Arkansas fans, Clemson fans didn't like Hatfiled's offense. He coached at Rice because he wanted to.

With Hatfield it wasn't always only the offensive style.

HognotinMemphis

i know we were not in the SEC then, but Holtz ended up at ND and won a NC there and Hatfield quit (not fired) and immediately went to Clemson which was then and certain is now a better program than Arkansas. And while not the HC, Malzahn ended up the HC at Auburn when we could have had him and Auburn is unarguably a better program than is Arkansas over past 25 years and beyond.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.