If BB gets the axe

Started by welchog, November 10, 2017, 04:53:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawginj

If? ....If? When did If spell WHEN!

Hawg Life

Quote from: Silver Hog on November 10, 2017, 07:20:25 pm
Be kind of hard for Gus to beat Auburn.

Good catch. My bad. I meant GA. I do think Norvell is the better choice.

The Hawg Marshal

I'm going to be so disappointed if we end up with Gus.

ipigsooie

Write down all these people on here with "sources or that "know people with money" that are saying it's going to be Gus or he is the leader. I can assure you that this isn't true and at least you'll know who to block as far as who you trust for future leaks.

"Beware of false prophets."  Matt. 7-15

Danimal

As bad as things are, I truly believe hiring Malzahn would be a huge mistake. He had as big a hand in the political shite-show that ensued as Nutt the last time around -- and he'll have a big hand in it next time.

fieldturf

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 05:38:00 pm
No....I don't because Long isn't going to make the decision this time.

And there are some voices for Gus. The anti Gus people ain't got a dog in the fight this time.

PRJ

And that's good, Gus has paid his dues, is proven and can recruit.  Has ties to Ark high schools and can recruit Texas.  Not to mention his staff that he'll bring with him. 

Hawginj

Quote from: fieldturf on November 10, 2017, 08:28:01 pm
And that's good, Gus has paid his dues, is proven and can recruit.  Has ties to Ark high schools and can recruit Texas.  Not to mention his staff that he'll bring with him.
Very little good and a lot of mediocre in that!

Hawgphat

"No" to Gus - and "no" to his bus

Keep on searching and don't don't raise a fuss

Surely there's someone who's worthy out there

If he's largely unknown I don't really care

Hawginj

Quote from: Hawgphat on November 10, 2017, 08:42:37 pm
"No" to Gus - and "no" to his bus

Keep on searching and don't don't raise a fuss

Surely there's someone who's worthy out there

If he's largely unknown I don't really care
Dilly Dilly!

greasy_corner

Gus would be low on my option list.  I think it would be an improvement, but an already fragile fanbase would fracture even more. 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Sundog on November 10, 2017, 06:49:22 pm
I'd take Gus in a heartbeat.  Should have been the hire instead of Bert anyway.

Why would you want Gus?  He can't win the west with the recruiting classes he gets at Auburn.  He'll do worse at Arkansas than he does at Auburn. He's winning 7-8 games a year with top 10 talent, I just can't see how any one could think he'd do better here playing in the exact same division. At least when we first Hired Bielema you could pretend what he was doing would work here and he could compete in the SEC west. You already know exactly how Gus can do.

Sundog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 09:35:16 pm
Why would you want Gus?  He can't win the west with the recruiting classes he gets at Auburn.  He'll do worse at Arkansas than he does at Auburn. He's winning 7-8 games a year with top 10 talent, I just can't see how any one could think he'd do better here playing in the exact same division. At least when we first Hired Bielema you could pretend what he was doing would work here and he could compete in the SEC west. You already know exactly how Gus can do.

I never pretended Bert would do squat at Arkansas.  He was a bad hire and like many others then, I knew it.  Sounds like you didn't.
Gus... he would have been the best hire for us at the time.  We would NOT be in the position we are now, had Gus been hired instead of Bert.
The issue isn't if Gus would be an upgrade over Bert today; he would be.  The question should be is who would be an upgrade over Gus that we could realistically hire?  It really doesn't matter anyway as Gus would never take the Arkansas job.  Sadly, Auburn is a much better job than Arkansas is today; thanks to Long and Bert.

scottwillrazbackfan1

This is Gus' dream job. 4 OOC wins, beat East division opponent every year (Georgia &Florida) ever other time we play them on rotation, beat A&M, MSU, Mizz, Ole Miss and  (LSU,bama, & auburn) 1 out 2. 5-3 conference record, overall 9-3 or 8-4. Very doable and fans would be happy considering the current state of the program.

moses_007

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 05:03:35 pm
I believe he is one of Two.

I keep getting this nauseous feeling in my stomach about Gus though.

PRJ
Either Gus or Miles would be nauseous initially.  Regardless, if either gets our job, we have to give them a chance.

Hogindasticks

grayhawg

Quote from: moses_007 on November 10, 2017, 10:03:28 pm
Either Gus or Miles would be nauseous initially.  Regardless, if either gets our job, we have to give them a chance.
Hopefully it's Norvell or Frost.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: grayhawg on November 10, 2017, 10:06:22 pm
Hopefully it's Norvell or Frost.

Won't be Frost. Norvell is the one on people's tongue.....

And then there is Gus.....

PRJ

grayhawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 10:07:54 pm

PRJ
Only if the GOBN push Long out, just spitballing

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: grayhawg on November 10, 2017, 10:09:59 pm
Only if the GOBN push Long out, just spitballing

I think Long is gone. At the very least, he will be snipped. If not, we will end up with a speech about integrity and introduced to Leslie Miles.

But I believe this job will end up as Mike Norvell's....or

Gus. And I don't want that.

PRJ

Hawg Life

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 10:31:56 pm
I think Long is gone. At the very least, he will be snipped. If not, we will end up with a speech about integrity and introduced to Leslie Miles.

PRJ

Agree 100%. Gus won't leave Auburn he's owe them $2.5M, and I'm not sure why we'd take a coach on the down side when we can hire Norvell who's name is on everyone's short list and is trending UP. I don't think Gus will be in the running though.

moses_007

PRJ
I am afraid Les Miles has already been offered and accepted.  He wants to coach again, particularly in the SEC.

duckman

PRJ

Yep.....

Gus has a lot of support, I am buying.a case of Prilosec....

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: moses_007 on November 10, 2017, 10:49:00 pm
I am afraid Les Miles has already been offered and accepted.  He wants to coach again, particularly in the SEC.

Maybe that is why Jeff was down there yesterday. Getting giggled at about hiring Leslie....

Les just expressed interest in the Oregon St job....I Think Long has been castrated...he won't make this hire.

PRJ

Swestwill66

Will not be Gus or les ! Big name from the north.

aloha_kid

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 04:57:43 pm
Get the right coach...ahem...Norvell....and it will improve....

PRJ
What is the attraction with Norvell?  He's got 2 years at a program that was already built. I just don't get it.

moses_007

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 10:57:42 pm
Maybe that is why Jeff was down there yesterday. Getting giggled at about hiring Leslie....

Les just expressed interest in the Oregon St job....I Think Long has been castrated...he won't make this hire.

PRJ
More like hands tied behind back and mouth taped shut with duct tape than castrated.........lol

Hawg Life

Quote from: duckman on November 10, 2017, 10:56:02 pm
Yep.....

Gus has a lot of support, I am buying.a case of Prilosec....

This all started when Paul Finebaum mentioned this a week ago. It has no credibility @ all. If he weren't from Arkansas he wouldn't be mentioned. Last time a coach from The SEC was fired from one school and was hired by another was Houston Nutt. Hopefully, history doesn't repeat itself. Gus would be under more scrutiny here than he is @ Auburn. This is a losing proposition for Gus. He'll never coach here any way. Hire Norvell.

247Hog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 10, 2017, 10:07:54 pm

PRJ

I said Norvell when you was pushing Horton. Guess that fell off.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

duckman

In my opinion, they are interested in 3 names right now....

In order:

1. Gus
2. Gundy (yes Gundy)
3. Norvell

hogfooey

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 10, 2017, 11:02:24 pm
This all started when Paul Finebaum mentioned this a week ago. It has no credibility @ all. If he weren't from Arkansas he wouldn't be mentioned. Last time a coach from The SEC was fired from one school and was hired by another was Houston Nutt. Hopefully, history doesn't repeat itself. Gus would be under more scrutiny here than he is @ Auburn. This is a losing proposition for Gus. He'll never coach here any way. Hire Norvell.

I hope history repeats itself exactly.  Coach fired from Arkansas, then hired by Ole Miss.
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

duckman

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 10, 2017, 11:02:24 pm

I agree, I loathe Gus,...  But watch....

moses_007

If the BOT has told the Chancellor to make Long fire Bielema, and if they decided to remove Long from hiring the next coach, I wonder who they recommended to the Chancellor?

Hawg Life

Quote from: aloha_kid on November 10, 2017, 11:00:08 pm
What is the attraction with Norvell?  He's got 2 years at a program that was already built. I just don't get it.

He's playing 11 freshmen or sophomores including the QB his recruits, Fuente's highest recruiting class was 89 Norvell's last class was 50, which is the highest class Memphis has ever had, Norvell fits the culture @ Arkansas, played @ UCA from Texas. If you drew a picture of the perfect coach you'd draw Mike Norvell.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: welchog on November 10, 2017, 04:53:30 pm
What will the impact be on recruiting?

Are the small number of commits hard to the UofA or BB or their position coach?

Would an early BB exit help considering we get a good/great hire?

I'll hang up and listen.

If?  IF?  IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF?

It's really the only logical conclusion and only possible outcome at this point.  He's proven what can and can't do and it just only isn't up to snuff it's simply the worst coaching performance in the history of modern Razorback football.

Gotta gut the losses and start over. 

He technically recruited better than any coach we've had in the recruiting rankings era, but he still badly mismanaged the roster and missed terribly on many OL/LB signees (his bread and butter).

With Bielema gone I believe recruiting will improve again so long that the new coach makes it a top priority and hires coaches with experience in our recruiting footprint. He's obviously not doing as bad as the volleyball program in keeping homegrown talent but those are usually kids who are fulfilling a dream by being privileged enough to wear that Hog.

All the foundation and bells and whistle things are in place now it's time to hire a killer that can close the deal.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

247Hog

Quote from: duckman on November 10, 2017, 11:05:46 pm

I was going to go to bed feeling good but you ruined it with the Gus comments Duckman  :puke:

Hope you're wrong about the interest.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

duckman

Quote from: 247Hog on November 10, 2017, 11:08:41 pm
I was going to go to bed feeling good but you ruined it with the Gus comments Duckman  :puke:

Hope you're wrong about the interest.

I just hope Auburn slips up on Bama....

Hawg Life

Quote from: duckman on November 10, 2017, 11:05:46 pm

Watch what? Do you really think Gus ends up @ Arkansas. Gus hasn't exactly had a pristine reputation from Pinnacle Preps to Cam Newton. I honestly don't see the attraction. If Norvell is winning with Fuente's player then Gus won with Chizik's players. If Gus wasn't from Arkansas he wouldn't even be mentioned. This is poor little Arkiesaw mentality. Norvell is one of the hottest coaches in the nation, not a retread or cast off.

247Hog

Quote from: duckman on November 10, 2017, 11:10:13 pm

Agreed. Gus bothers me about as much as HDN did.

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: 247Hog on November 10, 2017, 11:03:58 pm
I said Norvell when you was pushing Horton. Guess that fell off.

I never pushed Tim Horton. Never. I told you some people were pushing for Tim Horton...

Jeez, y'all can't comprehend worth a shite.....

What changed was the names. Tim Horton wasn't going to get the gig but at the time, the only people pushing to get Bret gone was a few guys who wanted Tim Horton. I have explained this ad nauseum....

PRJ

Hawg Life

Quote from: 247Hog on November 10, 2017, 11:11:34 pm
Agreed. Gus bothers me about as much as HDN did.

Watching him pick his nose the whole game would get old quickly!!

duckman

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 10, 2017, 11:11:25 pm
Watch what? Do you really think Gus ends up @ Arkansas. Gus hasn't exactly had a pristine reputation from Pinnacle Preps to Cam Newton. I honestly don't see the attraction. If Norvell is winning with Fuente's player then Gus won with Chizik's players. If Gus wasn't from Arkansas he wouldn't even be mentioned. This is poor little Arkiesaw mentality. Norvell is one of the hottest coaches in the nation, not a retread or cast off.

I hate Gus, really hope he beats Geogia or Bama....

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: duckman on November 10, 2017, 11:10:13 pm
Sounds like we need to ride to Tuscaloosa and release the swine flu the week of thanksgiving.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: scottwillrazbackfan1 on November 10, 2017, 09:59:07 pm
This is Gus' dream job. 4 OOC wins, beat East division opponent every year (Georgia &Florida) ever other time we play them on rotation, beat A&M, MSU, Mizz, Ole Miss and  (LSU,bama, & auburn) 1 out 2. 5-3 conference record, overall 9-3 or 8-4. Very doable and fans would be happy considering the current state of the program.

Maybe I am not explaining it right. Gus went 8,7,8 in the last three seasons.  He's won 7 this year and likely going to lose 2 of  his next 3 and win 8 this season.  Meanwhile at Auburn he's pulled in the 6th 9th and 8th recruiting class in the country the last three cycles, something no coach has been able to do at Arkansas since we joined the SEC. so how exactly is he supposed to do better than he is currently doing at Auburn in the exact same division as he is currently coaching but with the 25th best class in the nation instead of the 6th 8th or 9th?

247Hog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 11:16:50 pm
Maybe I am not explaining it right. Gus went 8,7,8 in the last three seasons.  He's won 7 this year and likely going to lose 2 of  his next 3 and win 8 this season.  Meanwhile at Auburn he's pulled in the 6th 9th and 8th recruiting class in the country the last three cycles, something no coach has been able to do at Arkansas since we joined the SEC. so how exactly is he supposed to do better than he is currently doing at Auburn in the exact same division as he is currently coaching but with the 25th best class in the nation instead of the 6th 8th or 9th?

This needs to be repeated 100 more times in every Gus thread! Not sarcasm, im serious!

Hawg Life

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on November 10, 2017, 11:16:50 pm

It's also very concerning that he hasn't developed a QB while @'Auburn with all of those top 10 recruiting classes. He's about to go 8-4 with Stidham who was a preseason heisman candidate. Cam Newton was already Cam Newton. I also never want to see Kristi & Armani Ronnie on the sideline. It's not going to happen.

247Hog

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 10, 2017, 11:21:50 pm
It's also very concerning that he hasn't developed a QB while @'Auburn with all of those top 10 recruiting classes. He's about to go 8-4 with Stidham who was a preseason heisman candidate. Cam Newton was already Cam Newton. I also never want to see Kristi & Armani Ronnie on the sideline. It's not going to happen.

Talk about setting the program back...i can't even imagine how bad it's going to get if he struggles. Fanbase is already so divided regarding Gus.

The Hawg Marshal

moses_007

Arkansas built the nice Football Operations Center with the thought it would help with recruiting, but it hasn't.  We actually recruited better from the old Broyles Center.

urkillnmesmalls

If the UA's decision makers aren't bright enough to realize that Gus is getting top 10 recruiting classes annually, and winning 7-8 games, and that doesn't translate well to our top 30 recruiting...then God help us all. 

And Les...don't get me started on that windbag.  I used to think his schtick was to act dumb, but I also used to think BB was just "calm and laid back" on the sideline too. Now I'm more convinced that Les is the dullest tool in the shed with dim bulbs, and BB was calm because he doesn't know enough about football x's and o's to digest what he's watching. 

PLEASE...neither of those two.  Gus would have been a better hire than BB, and I'm convinced of that.  But...now is not the time...we need to move on to a fresh start.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

tlmack