Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oaklawn Stakes

Started by cbhawg03, November 30, 2012, 11:55:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cbhawg03

Fantasy Stakes is now a Grade III, no longer a Grade II

Bachelor Stakes went from Listed to non-Listed Black Type

HawgWild

When did the Fantasy Stakes drop from a Grade 1 to a Grade 2?

A lot of great fillies have run in this race over the years.

I guess I've been away from the track too long. Maybe next year.................................

SEdrhawg

Quote from: HawgWild on December 01, 2012, 01:56:08 pm
When did the Fantasy Stakes drop from a Grade 1 to a Grade 2?

A lot of great fillies have run in this race over the years.

I guess I've been away from the track too long. Maybe next year.................................

To my knowledge, the fantasy has never been a Grade I stakes.  The Apple Blossom and relatively recently the Arkansas Derby have been Grade I.  The Oaklawn Handicap may have been Grade I at one time, I honestly can't remember.  But to my knowledge the fantasy has never been Grade I.  I find it harsh to downgrade it to a Grade III though...

cbhawg03

2012 Fantasy Stakes included Mamma Kimbo (2nd in an allowance and 4th in the Black

Eyed Susan as only starts since Fantasy), Amie's Dini (8th in the KY Oaks, 3rd in a G2,

6th in a G1, and 4th in a listed stakes at Charles Town), Jemima's Pearl (no wins, but

10th in KY Oaks, 3rd in a G3, and 6th in a G1 and 2nd in a listed stakes at Remington),

Wait Til Dawn (has ran four races, best finish was a 4th in a G3), Off Limits (has not ran

in another stakes since the Fanstasy with no wins), Kittty Kat Karly (has one win in a

claiming race), Illegally Blonde (has one win from four starts with it coming in a claiming

race)...... Not a very good group.

2011 Fantasy Stakes was a five horse field that included a couples entry and one scratch so that left three betting interest which were Joyful Victory, Arienza, Holy Heavens, and Explosive Disco.

HawgWild

Quote from: SEdrhawg on December 02, 2012, 01:58:36 pm
To my knowledge, the fantasy has never been a Grade I stakes. 

Take a look at this program from 1985. It shows the Fantasy as being a $250,000 Grade 1. I found another program from 1988 and it was still listed as a Grade one race but now for $500,000.There was a period in the 1990's where Cella got PO'd with the folks that graded the races and refused to place a graded designation on any of their graded stakes races. I'm guessing the downgrade of the Fantasy from a 1 to 2 contributed to this. Like I said, been some great horses in this race over the years.

SEdrhawg

Quote from: HawgWild on December 03, 2012, 05:31:24 pm
Take a look at this program from 1985. It shows the Fantasy as being a $250,000 Grade 1. I found another program from 1988 and it was still listed as a Grade one race but now for $500,000.There was a period in the 1990's where Cella got PO'd with the folks that graded the races and refused to place a graded designation on any of their graded stakes races. I'm guessing the downgrade of the Fantasy from a 1 to 2 contributed to this. Like I said, been some great horses in this race over the years.

Oh wow, that's cool.  Thanks for the picture Hawgwild.  That was a little before my time and I had no idea about it.  Thanks for the info, +1 to you if I could.  Very cool picture.